HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Yakupov ready to keep " His Cool" against "Dirty" Canadians

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 01:10 AM
RorschachWJK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
Does Team Canada play dirty? Probably. Do I care? Not even a little bit.

All that matters is gold, baby.
Wrong. Breaking rules to win is pathetic and makes that side look weak. Here is a couple good examples: Bobby Clarke and Ben Johnson. Doping is another shade in this colour book.

Winning is important but not at any cost. This is just a sport where people are banging a piece of rubber around the ice, trying to score more than the opponent.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Sounds like exactly what Yakupov is getting roasted for saying.
I haven't noticed anyone roast Yak, other than to say he might have motivated the Canadians. Its just the regular Russin (and couple Americans, Swedes and Finds) vs Canadian fans. When you're the best everyone wants to bring you down, and thats all these threads are ever about, no matter how they are cloaked.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:03 AM
LOFIN

Quote:

What would have been your reaction if an American had taken a blatant dive on a half-brakeaway in the OT of Vancouver 2010, got a penalty shot and scored on it? I'm sure we'd have threads about it to this day.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:14 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I'd really like to see the direct quote from this Canadian fan. Doesn't seem like he knows much about hockey.
He is quote mining. Here is a what I said.. I explained what that saying means. It's about pushing boundaries to gain a competitive edge.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:44 AM
masseman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
He is quote mining. Here is a what I said.. I explained what that saying means. It's about pushing boundaries to gain a competitive edge.
Usually it is not so much about pushing boundaries, usually it is more about trying to injure or intimidate the other team because of injury risk. This is why many people have no respect for canadian hockey.

It is quite obvious, since it gets worse and worse the more the canadian team gets outplayed.

Last edited by masseman3: 12-27-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old
12-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseman3 View Post
Usually it is not so much about pushing boundaries, usually it is more about trying to injure the other team. This is why many people have no respect for canadian hockey.

It is quite obvious, since it gets worse and worse the more the canadian team gets outplayed.
No Canadian youth is taught to intentionally injure people or play way beyond the edge to truly dirty play. Many European teams are taught how to effectively position themselves to skew the edge of interference in their ability to get away with questionable picks. That's pushing the boundary of legal play as well. As is some of them embellishing to draw penalties. So is finishing your hits. If the rules allow you up to .5 of a second to follow through with your hit, Canadians will do this. If they can push it to .6 of a second, why not? When they cross the line too far, they get punished, like Jenner did.

As for playing hard when losing, yes we have a motto to "send them a message for next game". That doesn't mean to play dirty, although many Europeans will interpret it that way. It means don't fold like a cheap tent. It means keep playing hard, hit them as much as possible, and never give up. Let your opponent know that they may have beaten you, but they haven't broken you. I applaud that mentality.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:17 AM
KulleKing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
How would you know? Not like Finland is usually skilled enough to make Canada resort to playing dirty.
How is that? Last 4 best on best matches are 2 for finland (98/06) and 2 for canada (02/04) with goals 8-7 for finland.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:31 AM
masseman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulleKing View Post
How is that? Last 4 best on best matches are 2 for finland (98/06) and 2 for canada (02/04) with goals 8-7 for finland.
Finland is ranked nr 2 in the world, Canada as number 5. TyutinMyOwnHorn must be talking about the womens team ...

Old
12-27-2012, 03:36 AM
KulleKing*

Quote:
Finland is ranked nr 2 in the world, Canada as number 5. TyutinMyOwnHorn must be talking about the womens team ...
Did not know that. Are you sure about it? A link would be nice.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:39 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
Does Brett Connolly come off as a huge d-bag to people? Never been a fan

Old
12-27-2012, 03:45 AM
masseman3

Quote:
No Canadian youth is taught to intentionally injure people or play way beyond the edge to truly dirty play. Many European teams are taught how to effectively position themselves to skew the edge of interference in their ability to get away with questionable picks. That's pushing the boundary of legal play as well. As is some of them embellishing to draw penalties. So is finishing your hits. If the rules allow you up to .5 of a second to follow through with your hit, Canadians will do this. If they can push it to .6 of a second, why not? When they cross the line too far, they get punished, like Jenner did.
I am not so much talking about these things, more things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt5rBWarx6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm3MxFAxnUM
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOMJsJhHlyM

And then, Jenner didn't "push it to 0.6s".

Quote:
As for playing hard when losing, yes we have a motto to "send them a message for next game". That doesn't mean to play dirty, although many Europeans will interpret it that way. It means don't fold like a cheap tent. It means keep playing hard, hit them as much as possible, and never give up. Let your opponent know that they may have beaten you, but they haven't broken you. I applaud that mentality.
To me it just indicates that the canadian team is made up of sore losers that cannot respect a superior opponent.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:49 AM
masseman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulleKing View Post
Did not know that. Are you sure about it? A link would be nice.
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...2-ranking.html

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...2-ranking.html

It's the overall IIHF ranking, not specifically the U20 ranking though.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Nash

Quote:
You will find more YouTube clips of dirty plays by Canadians for a reason. The NHL is the top league and the number of Canadians playing in it are much higher than other nationalities. There isn't a history of European players beyond the last 20 years, and those that come over are usually first and second line guys. It's generally the role players on the bottom lines that play dirtier. Even so, it's not like there isn't a history of dirty play today or yesterday from Europeans. Ovechkin has been suspended for his boarding, Malkin should be suspended for some of the slew foots I've seen him do, and Kaspiritus was a notorious cheap player. Samuelsson, Tikkanen, Ruuttu, etc. Acting like dirty play is the sole propriety of Canada is foolish.

Quote:
And then, Jenner didn't "push it to 0.6s".
Did I say he did? I said he went beyond that and was justly punished. My comment about .6 is that even though there is a standard in place of .5, there is still leeway. Do police officers ticket you for going 51 in a 50 zone or do they tend to wait until you are closer to 60?

Quote:
To me it just indicates that the canadian team is made up of sore losers that cannot respect a superior opponent.
Really? So when losing, you believe you should concede? You shouldn't compete hard anymore? You shouldn't finish your checks?

Should nations like Slovakia, Latvia, Germany and Switzerland concede after they go down by 3 goals? I'm happy when I see them still giving an effort in the face of defeat. That's character. I expect the same from my nation when losing.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:10 AM
mikko1995

Quote:
You will find more YouTube clips of dirty plays by Canadians for a reason. The NHL is the top league and the number of Canadians playing in it are much higher than other nationalities. There isn't a history of European players beyond the last 20 years, and those that come over are usually first and second line guys. It's generally the role players on the bottom lines that play dirtier. Even so, it's not like there isn't a history of dirty play today or yesterday from Europeans. Ovechkin has been suspended for his boarding, Malkin should be suspended for some of the slew foots I've seen him do, and Kaspiritus was a notorious cheap player. Samuelsson, Tikkanen, Ruuttu, etc. Acting like dirty play is the sole propriety of Canada is foolish.

Did I say he did? I said he went beyond that and was justly punished. My comment about .6 is that even though there is a standard in place of .5, there is still leeway. Do police officers ticket you for going 51 in a 50 zone or do they tend to wait until you are closer to 60?

Really? So when losing, you believe you should concede? You shouldn't compete hard anymore? You shouldn't finish your checks?

Should nations like Slovakia, Latvia, Germany and Switzerland concede after they go down by 3 goals? I'm happy when I see them still giving an effort in the face of defeat. That's character. I expect the same from my nation when losing.
I hope you are talking about Jarkko Ruutu instead of Christian Ruuttu, who wasn't really regarded as a cheap, or gritty player for that matter.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:14 AM
nucks88

vCash: 813
Yakupov meet Shalunov

Old
12-27-2012, 05:17 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
Wrong. Breaking rules to win is pathetic and makes that side look weak. Here is a couple good examples: Bobby Clarke and Ben Johnson. Doping is another shade in this colour book.

Winning is important but not at any cost. This is just a sport where people are banging a piece of rubber around the ice, trying to score more than the opponent.
Here's another - the finnish nordic ski team

http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0101/ss.htm

And if you want to start pointing fingers at hockey players, then take a look at the ruutu boys.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:24 AM
nucks88

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post

Get off your high horse buddy- every country has their fair share of cheaters and D-bags
, Finland included!

Old
12-27-2012, 05:31 AM
DamonDRW

Quote:

That's exactly why I asked that question regarding winning philosophy. It just seems to me Canadian cannot really accept the defeat. If you are winning it is ok, that is how things should be, if not, then any action is allowed and excusable after the defeat. To me it is looser phylosophy.

PS And please, do not bring J. Ruutu. He IS dirty player, at least, in my opinion.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:37 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks88 View Post
Get off your high horse buddy- every country has their fair share of cheaters and D-bags
, Finland included!
Would you be kind enough to point to where I have defended the e.g. the Finnish ski team or other doping users? That will be hard to do because I have never defended any of that. Same answer for the previous poster as well.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:13 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Yakupov learned Canadian style hockey when he played here last year, so essentially he is dirty himself.

They are two totally different styles of games. Euro's will never understand the gritty style of Hockey in North America.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

I personally think it's sad that the Canadian coaches demand that their players play a dirty, dangerous, disrespectful, unsportsmanlike game at a kids amateur tournament like this. Seeing that Swedish boy going off on a stretcher the other day was sickening.

Shame on that Canadian coach for his negative, antisocial values.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Kegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
Yakupov learned Canadian style hockey when he played here last year, so essentially he is dirty himself.

They are two totally different styles of games. Euro's will never understand the gritty style of Hockey in North America.
yakupov isnt even close to a dirty player but he really shouldnt talk i watched the russia game last night russia isnt any less dirty then canada... ie that cross check to the face... unless a cross check to the face is okay with yakupov... he def shoulda kept his mouth shut cause after watching russia vs slovakia there is no way russia is any cleaner then canada.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:36 AM
Kadri43

Quote:

Russians have always come across as weak, divers, and whiners.
I enjoy a (reasonable) chippy and dirty game. That is why I love watching the playoffs so much in the NHL. Unfortunately, the Europeans are such huge whiners in international competitions. Watching the IIHF is kind of boring because the refs call everything.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keke Mortsons helmet View Post
I personally think it's sad that the Canadian coaches demand that their players play a dirty, dangerous, disrespectful, unsportsmanlike game at a kids amateur tournament like this. Seeing that Swedish boy going off on a stretcher the other day was sickening.

Shame on that Canadian coach for his negative, antisocial values.
The kid should have kept his head up.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Kegs

Quote:

tell that to the germans..... germans are very gritty... they play like us only not as good

Closed Thread