HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC Discussion- Wikstrand Watch!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
  #151
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
This.

He still doesn't understand why Forsberg fell.
Why did Forsberg fall? I don't really get it either and I've never heard much reasoning. Didn't really have internet for the few weeks post-draft.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:13 PM
  #152
General Granny*
 
General Granny*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Why did Forsberg fall? I don't really get it either and I've never heard much reasoning. Didn't really have internet for the few weeks post-draft.
Watch the Sweden game and you will see. He has the MPS issue.

The kid lacks any type of finish, his hands are great but he always does way too much and just ends up turning it over instead of looking for the simple play, he never uses his linemates and is a turnover machine, his hockey sense is below average and so his shot, but his hands size and speed are elite. I think he maxes out as a 3rd liner at best or ends up a fringe NHLer, MPS like.

He is very frustrating to watch because he will wow you but with no end result.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:21 PM
  #153
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Watch the Sweden game and you will see. He has the MPS issue.

The kid lacks any type of finish, his hands are great but he always does way too much and just ends up turning it over instead of looking for the simple play, he never uses his linemates and is a turnover machine, his hockey sense is below average and so his shot, but his hands size and speed are elite. I think he maxes out as a 3rd liner at best or ends up a fringe NHLer, MPS like.

He is very frustrating to watch because he will wow you but with no end result.
Yeah I havent seen Forsberg play since last year. I can see what you mean but I expect him to be a very good 2nd/3rd line tweener. Thanks for the info, I've gotta start getting up for the games.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:46 AM
  #154
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 22,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Watch the Sweden game and you will see. He has the MPS issue.

The kid lacks any type of finish, his hands are great but he always does way too much and just ends up turning it over instead of looking for the simple play, he never uses his linemates and is a turnover machine, his hockey sense is below average and so his shot, but his hands size and speed are elite. I think he maxes out as a 3rd liner at best or ends up a fringe NHLer, MPS like.

He is very frustrating to watch because he will wow you but with no end result.
Forsberg definitely doesn't lack hockey sense. He finished second all-time in scoring as 16 year old in the SuperElit for a reason. He has uncanny offensive talent but he tries to dangle his way out of everything now. Notice I sound now, he's been trying to do a lot lately but it's not his play style. He does love to dangle but he seemed to pick his moments before better. He is much more poised with the puck and it's actually one of his strengths. I too don't understand why he fell.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:20 AM
  #155
ElRossoMatt
Registered User
 
ElRossoMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucharest,Romania
Country: Romania
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Watch the Sweden game and you will see. He has the MPS issue.

The kid lacks any type of finish, his hands are great but he always does way too much and just ends up turning it over instead of looking for the simple play, he never uses his linemates and is a turnover machine, his hockey sense is below average and so his shot, but his hands size and speed are elite. I think he maxes out as a 3rd liner at best or ends up a fringe NHLer, MPS like.

He is very frustrating to watch because he will wow you but with no end result.
He is 18 years old. He is going to improve a lot. You don't exactly see Zibanejad lighting it up and Zibby went higher than him in his draft. Forsberg is very very good at his age.

ElRossoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:16 AM
  #156
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,391
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk has such a disgustingly good wrister.

As for Jones, he's made a lot of stupid mistakes this game but his vision is top notch.

Trouba also has an amazing shot, I know I posted that a page ago, but I want to reiterate that point.


Last edited by Marvelous Manked: 12-27-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:24 AM
  #157
Johnny Hanson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Galchenyuk has such a disgusting wrister.
You refering to the one that took long enough to get off that the german goalie was able make a routine save on an otherwise great scoring chance?

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:33 AM
  #158
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot karlsson View Post
You refering to the one that took long enough to get off that the german goalie was able make a routine save on an otherwise great scoring chance?
No.

I'm referring to the ~20 times I've seen him play, and have especially noticed in the last couple games.

I'm referring to the shot he took entering in the zone that made the German goalie crap his pants.

Finally, I'm now referring to the top corner rocket he just sniped to increase his teams lead.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:36 AM
  #159
White Goodman
smell that fitness?
 
White Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: England
Posts: 6,643
vCash: 50
The States have a scary team. Then again Germany sucks ass.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:40 AM
  #160
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
The States have a scary team. Then again Germany sucks ass.
I worry about the US depth, but their top end talent is quite impressive.

And Germany looks especially bad this year for some reason, not exactly sure why. Draisaitl looks like he's holding his own in this tourney, and he's a late 95 (2014 draft).

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:20 AM
  #161
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
I've only seen him in 2 games, but I'm fully on board with this kid. Based on his age and what I've seen thus far, I'd put him above everyone on that list except Silf, Lehner and Stone. Maybe Zibby, Maybe Ceci

This kid excels at every part of the game. We should all be very very excited.
wow, wish I had time for hockey this year... it seems I have missed something... the hype about Wikstrand seems a bit unreal, or a bit too fast for me...

Our 4th best prospect? Better than Noosen, Puempel, Ceci, Prince, Wiercioch, Zibanejad, Petersson, Da Costa????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If the last two games are a proper representation of his play, anyone think you could put him in the top 20 of last years draft? I honestly don't think it's crazy, IF these last two games are an accurate depiction of his game.

And I saw him take multiple one timers in the first game...meaning he's capable of it. Also saw several touch passes which is a deadly combo with the ability to one time as well. Kid makes quick decisions on the blue line it appears pretty evident.
Andre Petersson was absolutely amazing in the 2010 WJC... He was as good if not better as Jordan Eberle. No one even talk about him now, or even consider him as a Sens top-10 prospect. I know he had size and injury issues but point still being made

I want to have faith in Wikstrand but I'd like to see his SEL adjustement first. Nonetheless, he's already a steal for a 7th rounder. You can't even dream to get a prospect as good with a late pick... Stone and Wikstrand in 3 drafts, wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
He has been playing phenomenal hockey in Sweden as well tying OEL's record already for most goals and outscoring a top 10 pick Swedish forward from last year. We're just excited by the amazing development of a 7th rounder from last year. No one is calling him Bobby Orr.... That's Karlsson
But it's forbidden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Wikstrand will be a big minute top 4 two-way 30-40 point d-man. Book it.
The "end of the world" thing is over for now, we can take our time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Disagree here ap. You're forgetting an attribute that scouts look for that is one of the most important for defenders, poise and hockey IQ. Wikstrand always makes the perfect play it's kind of scary how good he is that you'd think it's just a hot streak. He breaks away defensive plays just as good as setting up offensive ones. It's still early but he is definitely playing like a first round pick, quite easily. Plays in all situations and no major flaws with a booming shot and has surprisingly soft hands for a defender.

His shootout goals are an example of that.
Maybe he will make Karlsson look like a #2 and Cowen like a #3

That being said

Cowen-Karlsson
Wikstrand-Ceci
Wiercioch-Blood/Boro/Claesson/Methot

The potential of that defense is amazing, that's why I don't understand when I see "trade Michalek or Puempel for a D-man prospect!"


Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
What? Hell no.

if I had to rank our top prospects...
Silfverberg
Lehner
Zibanejad
Noesen
Ceci
Stone
Weircioch
Puempel
Prince

Then you probably still have guys like Borowiecki and DaCosta ahead of him, so he's not in the top-10. Hoffman, too. He's probably leap-frogged past the likes of Pageau, however... or at the very least is on par.

I want to see more out of him than a small sample size in a lower Swedish league before I start really holding him up as some kind of crown jewel of the system.
100% agree with that list!

Only place I'm not sure is Wiercioch/Puempel/Prince, really could exchange spots for those 3...

To round out the top-10, I'd have Da Costa. I'd still have Petersson just after, because I'm not giving up on him yet, but I must admit his season is underwhelming so far. Average play, poor production and being injured is not good for his development...

I could see Wikstrand right after in the Top 12-15 along with Hoffman and Pageau. Just before Borowiecki, O'Brien, Maidens, Claesson, Grant...


Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
  #162
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Orkney Islands
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Murray probably traded Rundblad because he knew about the Wikstrer and how he would be able to fill his role in the organization.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:11 AM
  #163
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Wow great shot by Jones.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:33 AM
  #164
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Murray probably traded Rundblad because he knew about the Wikstrer and how he would be able to fill his role in the organization.
Obviously.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:45 AM
  #165
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Our 4th best prospect? Better than Noosen, Puempel, Ceci, Prince, Wiercioch, Zibanejad, Petersson, ..
You wouldnt say this if the kid had been a first rounder. I just dont buy in to the thinking that the kid has to work his way up from the basement, just because we've spent more time watching the other prospects. I'm watching this kid aptly handle himself among the best in his class. Hes playing like a first round calibre player (small sample) so im willing to ignore his draft position and compare him to our other first round calibre prospects. Others are watching the same thing and either disagree with my assesment of his play or more likely are just afraid to trust their eyes over the all mighty draft position.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:56 AM
  #166
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Remember when Cowen was a bust because he sucked in his first WJC? This hype goes both ways. Saying 'so and so will put up X amount of points' or 'he shoulda gone here not their' seems really really silly to me. No one is saying you can't be excited about the kid or you cant enjoy watching him play, but theirs 0 need to put expectations on him for years ahead.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
  #167
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
You wouldnt say this if the kid had been a first rounder. I just dont buy in to the thinking that the kid has to work his way up from the basement, just because we've spent more time watching the other prospects. I'm watching this kid aptly handle himself among the best in his class. Hes playing like a first round calibre player (small sample) so im willing to ignore his draft position and compare him to our other first round calibre prospects. Others are watching the same thing and either disagree with my assesment of his play or more likely are just afraid to trust their eyes over the all mighty draft position.
The problem in trying to rate a player on a small sample size:
- Brent Tully
- Daniel Tkaczuk
- Mathieu Biron
- Nolan Baumgartner
- Marty Murray
... and those are just some of the Canadian names.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
  #168
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Remember when Cowen was a bust because he sucked in his first WJC? This hype goes both ways. Saying 'so and so will put up X amount of points' or 'he shoulda gone here not their' seems really really silly to me. No one is saying you can't be excited about the kid or you cant enjoy watching him play, but theirs 0 need to put expectations on him for years ahead.
And again, there's nothing wrong with saying "he's played like this so far" and not jumping to Conclusions for better or worse.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
  #169
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
And again, there's nothing wrong with saying "he's played like this so far" and not jumping to Conclusions for better or worse.
exactly. this is what i prefer to stick with.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:20 PM
  #170
BrawlFan
Registered User
 
BrawlFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
They hype for this guy is getting out of control. I'll reserve my judgement until I see his stats in the SEL for a full year without the aid of NHL players.

In regards to him at the WJC. I'm super glad he is doing well. It will definitely be good for his development and his confidence to be leaned on heavily by the Swedish team and should push him in the right direction to fix any areas of his game lacking based on the play of others his own age.

Saying that, if Sweden was fully healthy where would he slide in? He'd have to be behind Lindholm and Klefbom. I was positive there was a 3rd defenceman that was injured as well. So he would be either a #3/#4. Claesson, a 6th rounder in 2011 was a top 4 dman for Sweden last year and isn't making me beleive he'll be more than a 6th dman in the NHL. An amazing return for a 6th rounder but a 6th dman is still a 6th dman. They are a dime a dozen and can be had for peanuts. There is no need to be this excited for a guy who's had 2 good games.

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:55 PM
  #171
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
They hype for this guy is getting out of control. I'll reserve my judgement until I see his stats in the SEL for a full year without the aid of NHL players.

In regards to him at the WJC. I'm super glad he is doing well. It will definitely be good for his development and his confidence to be leaned on heavily by the Swedish team and should push him in the right direction to fix any areas of his game lacking based on the play of others his own age.

Saying that, if Sweden was fully healthy where would he slide in? He'd have to be behind Lindholm and Klefbom. I was positive there was a 3rd defenceman that was injured as well. So he would be either a #3/#4. Claesson, a 6th rounder in 2011 was a top 4 dman for Sweden last year and isn't making me beleive he'll be more than a 6th dman in the NHL. An amazing return for a 6th rounder but a 6th dman is still a 6th dman. They are a dime a dozen and can be had for peanuts. There is no need to be this excited for a guy who's had 2 good games.


Really?


Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:04 PM
  #172
Spinkis
Registered User
 
Spinkis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
It's not just 2 games, he has been really good all year playing with men!

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:07 PM
  #173
Indy on the Road
From the ground up
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
I have him penciled just under Cowen as the best defenseman in the organization.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:09 PM
  #174
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkis View Post
It's not just 2 games, he has been really good all year playing with men!
I'm not disagreeing. It just seems hard to believe a guy that is considered a borderline top prospect could have went in the 7th round of a draft months ago.

Usually it would take at least a good year for this kind of development, and thats if you are extremely lucky.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
  #175
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I'm not disagreeing. It just seems hard to believe a guy that is considered a borderline top prospect could have went in the 7th round of a draft months ago.

Usually it would take at least a good year for this kind of development, and thats if you are extremely lucky.
Charles Hudon went in the 5th round out of the chl no less and made Canada's team as a lock as an 18 year old. Try and find another example of that happening. Crazy **** does happen.

And Xpyrit, AP and eberle may have been side by side on the top scorers list but it wasn't hard to see that one was a much better prospect than the other.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.