Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2012, 03:14 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
It makes no sense to me having Detroit Compuware #1 for the OHL showcase tournament. Like most years these top US teams dont even come to the OHL cup. Compuware didnt win Silver Sticks either. The #1 ranking makes no sense to me. Ive heard Compuware wont be at the OHL cup in MArch, like Belle Tire last year. Yet both were always ranked high for a tournament they werent going too.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:31 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
It makes no sense to me having Detroit Compuware #1 for the OHL showcase tournament. Like most years these top US teams dont even come to the OHL cup. Compuware didnt win Silver Sticks either. The #1 ranking makes no sense to me. Ive heard Compuware wont be at the OHL cup in MArch, like Belle Tire last year. Yet both were always ranked high for a tournament they werent going too.
In March, the US teams are in playdowns and thats why those teams dont show.

But you are right, to have Compuware ranked, seems somewhat ridiculous for the OHL showcase tourny.

Two years ago Detroit Honeybaked won the Silver Stick, but they were an all star team.

However, the OHL Cup is a second tier tournament to the Silver Stick, because of the lacking of some top teams in Ontario and Michigan area.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:38 PM
mapleleaf979

*delete

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-24-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I know that the Marlies tournament is next, but how big is the Peterborough tournament in January, do they get most of the top teams?

Old
12-25-2012, 12:19 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I know that the Marlies tournament is next, but how big is the Peterborough tournament in January, do they get most of the top teams?
Not really. I believe last year they lured the Marlies, but in the past, its mainly 2nd tier teams.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
In March, the US teams are in playdowns and thats why those teams dont show.

But you are right, to have Compuware ranked, seems somewhat ridiculous for the OHL showcase tourny.

Two years ago Detroit Honeybaked won the Silver Stick, but they were an all star team.

However, the OHL Cup is a second tier tournament to the Silver Stick, because of the lacking of some top teams in Ontario and Michigan area.
It does seem odd when they have the top ranked American teams in the OHL Cup rankings, when the only American teams that ever come are all star teams thrown together at the last minute. We all knew Belle Tire and Cleveland weren't coming last season, yet there they were in the rankings every week.

It was also odd how they had the Honeybaked '95's ranked 2nd after they convincingly beat the Marlies in their one and only meeting that season. That Honeybaked team was a powerhouse. Just curious why you say they were an all star team? How are they any different than the other top American teams we see every year at the Silver Stick?

As for the Marlie tournament. Way too watered down and Canlan Etobicoke is an absolute awful arena to watch games from. Will go watch the '98's, where the top American teams are there, as are the Moscow Selects.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:31 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
As for the Marlie tournament. Way too watered down and Canlan Etobicoke is an absolute awful arena to watch games from. Will go watch the '98's, where the top American teams are there, as are the Moscow Selects.
I like that American presence in the 98 group as well. It adds a whole new dimension. Team Comcast is an excellent team. It going to be interesting to see how the Jr Canadiens and Marlboros match up against these teams. Marlboros and Jr canadiens have only lost too each other in the Bantam GTHL league all season long. Its not uncommon for both teams to win 10-1 most nights but they going to face some really good tests.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Garyboy

Quote:
I like that American presence in the 98 group as well. It adds a whole new dimension. Team Comcast is an excellent team. It going to be interesting to see how the Jr Canadiens and Marlboros match up against these teams. Marlboros and Jr canadiens have only lost too each other in the Bantam GTHL league all season long. Its not uncommon for both teams to win 10-1 most nights but they going to face some really good tests.
Agreed. It's what makes the Bantam tournament so much more appealing than the Minor Midget tournament. Going to try to spend all of the 27th there watching all the top teams. Will be interesting to see the Marlies vs the Moscow Selects. As well as the number 1 ranked Detroit Honeybaked. They beat the Marlies 3-0 and the Junior Canadiens 3-1 at a tournament in October. Thanks for the heads-up on Comcast. Just brought up their schedule and had no idea they were ranked 3rd in the U.S.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:20 AM
inthekknow

tournamament in peterborough did have marlies last year but cost them 5 players to injury. not many top teams in this as no one wants to risk injury or suspension heading into ohl cup.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:25 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
What happened?
I hear he needs surgery.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:56 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
It does seem odd when they have the top ranked American teams in the OHL Cup rankings, when the only American teams that ever come are all star teams thrown together at the last minute. We all knew Belle Tire and Cleveland weren't coming last season, yet there they were in the rankings every week.

It was also odd how they had the Honeybaked '95's ranked 2nd after they convincingly beat the Marlies in their one and only meeting that season. That Honeybaked team was a powerhouse. Just curious why you say they were an all star team? How are they any different than the other top American teams we see every year at the Silver Stick?

When said All Star team, from what I understand, the 95 Honeybaked team had some players from other local teams on their roster.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
When said All Star team, from what I understand, the 95 Honeybaked team had some players from other local teams on their roster.
They had to replace their '94's with some '95's from other teams. I know they had a couple of '95's from Belle Tire, as per what one of the Detroit Dad's told me.

Last edited by Garyboy: 12-26-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I hear he needs surgery.
If your talking about #27 on the Don Mills Flyers , He played today at the Marlies Classic.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:57 PM
mapleleaf979

Nikita Korostelev returned today. Scored one goal and had one assist. 4-1 win. He is a pretty intense player and his hunger for the puck in the offensive zone is nice to watch. His timing was a bit off when receiving passes but thats expected. He has the best shot in Ontario. He had the goalie beat from the slot with one of his shots but just missed. His goal, he deked out the goalie when he was in alone. He has very good puck skills as well. He is a very-under rated playmaker.

Sharipov #88 was dangerous all game. He has extremely good stick handling skills. He has nice feet too. He is only about 5-10. The ref seemed like he wanted to control the game with penalty's. Goalie Izzy Benigno reminds me of Tim Thomas. Very aggressive, never on the blue ice. This style can put the goalie out of position but he recovers really fast. Smaller goalie, very quick legs.

I think Oakville ate too much turkey last night. Oakville Rangers tied the VAughn Kings 1-1. The smaller forward crop on Oakville is the weakness on this team, I see that hurting them when it matters. The D core they have is excellent. M.Spencer didnt have his best game today, but he is probably the fastest backward skater Ive seen this year. Spencer is an excellent skater and has excellent puck handling skills moving through traffic. I dont know why they have him paired with Capobianco as they both are potential puck rushers. Brett Mckenzie very impressive consistent game today. Petawabano played forward and defense today. I personally like him better as a forward. He was dominant on some shifts. I personally think Petawabano has more value up front playing a Power forward style of game. Moves well for a kid his size, including his first 2-3 strides. Back up goalie Clark, has nice size and movement and played very well today. Looked like he could be a #1 on other teams thats for sure.

Marlies won 6-1 vs Clarington. 2 goals for Strome. 2 goals for Robinson. M.Webb had a goal but to me is one of the unsung heroes on this team. He sets the tone with his physical presence and work ethic. Again Ive said this before, but Jordan Maclean #97 on the Marlboros is a gamer. He keeps impressing me. All-round game. I like the way he works on the boards and doesnt shy away from contact. He sacrifices his body blocking slap shots from the point. He stuck up for STrome today when things were getting nasty in the 3rd. Maclean is under-rated. If someone asked me who I would want more for my OHL team, Defarius or Maclean Id probably lean toward Maclean. Defarius struggles dealing with big forecheckers and board work is lacking.

Old
12-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Garyboy

Thanks for the day 1 update, mapleleaf.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:27 PM
chewerjones

Thanks for the update Mapleleaf.

Tomorrow I will be at the show, and hopefully some great hockey.

I believe that the Webbs and Robinson on the Marlies are the backbone of the team.

I am surprised that you say Korostolev is "under rated". To most hockey guys in the know, he is ranked #1. LOL

Old
12-26-2012, 11:46 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

I believe that the Webbs and Robinson on the Marlies are the backbone of the team.

I am surprised that you say Korostolev is "under rated". To most hockey guys in the know, he is ranked #1. LOL
No his passing/playmaking is under-rated. He isnt under-rated. Sean Day is #1. I can see Korostelev going #2 to #4. Depending on how open he is to going anywhere he is selected. He is electric. He is maybe the only guy who u dont care about what he does in the defensive zone. Korostelev is by far the most dangerous player in the Slot in the 2013 OHL draft. His shot is an absolute bomb and comes off his stick like a sling shot. As far as pure sniper in this draft, no one touches Korostelev, its not even close. I can see him scoring 30+ goals in the OHL as a rookie. He is already absolutely deadly coming off the half wall on his off wing. U can see through his cage the intensity on his face and how disappointed he is missing a scoring chance.

Tyler Richardson (Marlboro goalie) has one of the best glove hands IVe seen this year and very good legs. A tad small but lighting quick.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:57 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
No his passing/playmaking is under-rated. He isnt under-rated. Sean Day is #1. I can see Korostelev going #2 to #4. Depending on how open he is to going anywhere he is selected. He is electric. He is maybe the only guy who u dont care about what he does in the defensive zone. Korostelev is by far the most dangerous player in the Slot in the 2013 OHL draft. His shot is an absolute bomb and comes off his stick like a sling shot. As far as pure sniper in this draft, no one touches Korostelev, its not even close. I can see him scoring 30+ goals in the OHL as a rookie. He is already absolutely deadly coming off the half wall on his off wing. U can see through his cage the intensity on his face and how disappointed he is missing a scoring chance.

Tyler Richardson (Marlboro goalie) has one of the best glove hands IVe seen this year and very good legs. A tad small but lighting quick.
Very well said.

If Erie has first pick overall again, and Day is granted ES, then I can see them picking Day, given that they have McDavid. Imagine a team having McDavid and Day for the next 2-3 years. WOW. But I am sure that Bassin will still find a way to screw things up.

But if its the Petes or Ottawa, they will most likely go with a dominant forward.

JMO

Old
12-27-2012, 12:05 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Very well said.

If Erie has first pick overall again, and Day is granted ES, then I can see them picking Day, given that they have McDavid. Imagine a team having McDavid and Day for the next 2-3 years. WOW. But I am sure that Bassin will still find a way to screw things up.

But if its the Petes or Ottawa, they will most likely go with a dominant forward.

JMO
Erie is on the upward swing. The new coach is doing some really good things. I have a feeling Peterborough will have the #1. Korostelev doesnt have a quality playmaker to get him the puck right now. He is elusive and creates his own shot. He would be deadly with Mcdavid. Erie also desperately needs a puck rushing Defenseman who can play in his own end, but true snipers dont grow on trees. Its going to be interesting.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:13 AM
wings5

Does anyone have a scouting report on Denis Yan? I've heard alot about Korostelev and now a a little bit about Shalimov but not so much on Yan. Some additional info on Shalimov would be much appreciated too.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:59 AM
skating101

Great first day with some surprising results. That being said Marlies need to find a better venue "no parking" and "poor viewing"

Kings D #3 DiCarlo caught my eye yesterday played some forward too see a lot of potential.

Oakville F #6 Bzowey not the biggest guy on the ice but plays like he's 6'2" great compete.

Don Mills F #87 Marner small player with some the best skating out there highly skilled slippery player.

Jr Canadiens F #55 Korostelev great shot screams out sniper plays with an edge left me wanting to see more.

Marlies F #16 Strome great vision his hockey IQ and puck control always seems to leave me shaking my head.

Marlies D #7 Defarius great first pass known for his offence but his one on ones impressed me the most.

Brampton F #10 Smith another small forward that plays a big game excellent work ethic.

Looking forward to another great day of hockey the 97 year seems to be impressing me more and more.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:23 AM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Does anyone have a scouting report on Denis Yan? I've heard alot about Korostelev and now a a little bit about Shalimov but not so much on Yan. Some additional info on Shalimov would be much appreciated too.
Watched Korostelev yesterday he does scream sniper and returning from an injury but IMO I have Dennis Yan slightly ahead.

Sorry don't have enough on Shalimov to comment.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:

Jack Webb has been out for a month and probably won't be back for a few weeks. Mitch Webb and Noah Robinson are the backbone now. They are both tough as nails and play both ends of the ice. Very quietly they both score goals, I think Robinson might only trail Strome and maybe Stephens in points.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Ottawa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Jack Webb has been out for a month and probably won't be back for a few weeks. Mitch Webb and Noah Robinson are the backbone now. They are both tough as nails and play both ends of the ice. Very quietly they both score goals, I think Robinson might only trail Strome and maybe Stephens in points.
Some great assessments. I believe that Fregona also fits that backbone profile. Despite his size he plays big. Not afraid to go to the dirty areas and has very good hands.
The GTHL does not post points like the other leagues, not sure why. OHL teams use Rinknet as their primary scouting software. It tracks all stats. According to Rinknet stats, Strome leads team in pts followed by Stephens, Fregona, Webb and Robinson. Strome is reAlly lighting it up.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:31 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Watched Korostelev yesterday he does scream sniper and returning from an injury but IMO I have Dennis Yan slightly ahead.

Sorry don't have enough on Shalimov to comment.
Oh well I'd like to know why, whats the scouting report on Yan?

Closed Thread