HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Northern Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Northern Europe Norway, Denmark, Iceland

How popular is hockey in Denmark?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2012, 02:08 AM
  #26
Tobias
Registered User
 
Tobias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by PietB View Post
Well, both Aalborg and Sønderjyske's got similar, even slightly bigger arenas (capacity of 5.000 spectators, Herning's only got a capacity of 4.100) and there's hockey interest in Sønderjylland as well... I think DenGC was thinking of something even bigger than that, probably of an 10.000+ spectator arena... I highly doubt ice hockey could fill that much in Denmark.
No, they don't. I'm talking about Boxen. We already have an arena with capacity for 12.500 spectators.

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:48 AM
  #27
PietB
Random User
 
PietB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denmany and Germark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
No, they don't. I'm talking about Boxen. We already have an arena with capacity for 12.500 spectators.
Oh, you were talking about Boxen. Yeah, forgot about that one, but is it suitable for ice hockey? I know it is for basketball and handball, so the size of the rink shouldn't be a problem, but I'm thinking about what it takes to build a hockey rink and keep it cool and icy. At least they're only playing in the smaller KVIK Hockey arena so far and have a hard time filling it.


Last edited by PietB: 12-26-2012 at 07:05 AM.
PietB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:43 AM
  #28
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenGC View Post
Would be awesome but it wont happen until a decent arena is build. However, Copenhagen is building a multi-arena which should be finished in the 2nd part of 2015. So I guess 2016 is the most likely.... If someone is willing to spend cash on a team.
The Copenhagen Multi-Arena will have a capacity of 12.500 people, but it will only be used for specific championships.
I will probably not be housing any specific team, but will be open to hire for any kind of artistic or sport event.
With a sudden change of massive hockey interest in Copenhagen (if we qualify for the Sochi olympics and house a succesfull WC in 2017), then at least you would have an arena if any rich guy or organization would sponsor a team....what league that team would play in depends on the wishes of whoever brings the money.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
  #29
Bank
Registered User
 
Bank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Odense, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
I would be more positive about the SEL going Nordic and including one or two teams from Denmark and Norway Just makes more sense to me...

Would rank it:
1. Danish team in Nordic League
2. Danish teams in Danish League
3. Danish team in KHL. Not very keen on that idea. (Btw. DenGC - Did you put a lot of thoughts into that team? If so I would love to hear why you chose some of the players you did. Some of them came a bit out left field for me)

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:10 PM
  #30
dklap3
Registered User
 
dklap3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Herning, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PietB View Post
Oh, you were talking about Boxen. Yeah, forgot about that one, but is it suitable for ice hockey? I know it is for basketball and handball, so the size of the rink shouldn't be a problem, but I'm thinking about what it takes to build a hockey rink and keep it cool and icy. At least they're only playing in the smaller KVIK Hockey arena so far and have a hard time filling it.
Very much so, it is already prepared for a rink with pipes in the floor. Basicly they just need to add a cooling device.

The dimensions are also fine for a rink, actually close to perfect. It's a little bit too big for handball, but an ice rink would fit perfectly.

Here's a photo of mine with Boxen in handball mode:



...but as Tobias wrote, a KHL team here is not going to happen. Just as it is also way too big for Herning Blue Fox to play any regular games there.

Only way I see it as a regular home to a hockey team, is if Denmark had two teams in a Nordic League, and this was home to a team for all of "Western Denmark" or something like that. But that's probably unlikely to happen too.

dklap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:21 AM
  #31
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
I would be more positive about the SEL going Nordic and including one or two teams from Denmark and Norway Just makes more sense to me...

Would rank it:
1. Danish team in Nordic League
2. Danish teams in Danish League
3. Danish team in KHL. Not very keen on that idea. (Btw. DenGC - Did you put a lot of thoughts into that team? If so I would love to hear why you chose some of the players you did. Some of them came a bit out left field for me)
I agree with you there. I would not think most danish fans would find any eastern KHL teams that interesting. I Nordic league based mostly on SEL (and SM-liiga?) and including for instance a west-Denmark team played from Boxen maybe (Herning) and a east-Denmark team from the Copenhagen Multiarena and also a few Norwegian teams would be preferable from a fan point of view. The danish league could still excist and feed players to the nordic league teams (that currently go to Sweden anyways, so no loss there in reality for danish hockey).
If Copenhagen could support a major team in the danish league to prevent the teams from Jutland dominating totally would also be good for hockey popularity.
Keeping the danish league as a development league is very good for danish hockey, since very young players get the chance to play against adults.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
  #32
PietB
Random User
 
PietB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denmany and Germark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklap3 View Post
Very much so, it is already prepared for a rink with pipes in the floor. Basicly they just need to add a cooling device.

The dimensions are also fine for a rink, actually close to perfect. It's a little bit too big for handball, but an ice rink would fit perfectly.

Here's a photo of mine with Boxen in handball mode:



...but as Tobias wrote, a KHL team here is not going to happen. Just as it is also way too big for Herning Blue Fox to play any regular games there.

Only way I see it as a regular home to a hockey team, is if Denmark had two teams in a Nordic League, and this was home to a team for all of "Western Denmark" or something like that. But that's probably unlikely to happen too.
In this case, I'd love to see a match being played there, but it would take a really big name to come play in order to fill that place, someone who might actually draw people from northern Germany or Sweden as well... unfortunately.

PietB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:42 AM
  #33
Bank
Registered User
 
Bank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Odense, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
The danish league could still excist and feed players to the nordic league teams (that currently go to Sweden anyways, so no loss there in reality for danish hockey).
If Copenhagen could support a major team in the danish league to prevent the teams from Jutland dominating totally would also be good for hockey popularity.
Keeping the danish league as a development league is very good for danish hockey, since very young players get the chance to play against adults.
Very good point. I'm still not decided on whether I'd prefer the Danish team(s) to be able to get relegated and replaced with another Danish team or if a specific "Nordic League"-team should be made. I'm leaning towards the first right now...

Pros:

A) I think the swedes would like their Allsvenskan-teams to be able to win a spot in the SEL. And if Swedish teams can go out - so should Norwegian and Danish. Anything else is silly.

B) You'd be able to build on a already existing fan-culture, front office organisation and sponsor-connections. You'd just be taking next years champion.

C) I fear for the development of the reserves of a "Nordic League"-team. The NT will not benefit from having those right outside the team put on the bench for a whole season.

Cons:

A) The quality of the team might not be as good as a new "All-Star" team would. As relegation is at stake some players might take their chances in their current clubs.

B) I'd would after a couple of years make the Danish league boring since the strong team would get stronger while the smaller teams would get weaker.

C) The teams relegated would have dramatic changes in competition.

D) It's a silly system really. During the season the leading teams in Denmark, Norway and Allsvenskan wound't know if they are fighting for a spot in the SEL or "just" the honor.

Perhaps some sort of play-off system between the best Danish and Norwegian team and the two best Allsvenskan teams could be made... I'm just thinking out loud here

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:58 AM
  #34
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
Very good point. I'm still not decided on whether I'd prefer the Danish team(s) to be able to get relegated and replaced with another Danish team or if a specific "Nordic League"-team should be made. I'm leaning towards the first right now...

Pros:

A) I think the swedes would like their Allsvenskan-teams to be able to win a spot in the SEL. And if Swedish teams can go out - so should Norwegian and Danish. Anything else is silly.

B) You'd be able to build on a already existing fan-culture, front office organisation and sponsor-connections. You'd just be taking next years champion.

C) I fear for the development of the reserves of a "Nordic League"-team. The NT will not benefit from having those right outside the team put on the bench for a whole season.

Cons:

A) The quality of the team might not be as good as a new "All-Star" team would. As relegation is at stake some players might take their chances in their current clubs.

B) I'd would after a couple of years make the Danish league boring since the strong team would get stronger while the smaller teams would get weaker.

C) The teams relegated would have dramatic changes in competition.

D) It's a silly system really. During the season the leading teams in Denmark, Norway and Allsvenskan wound't know if they are fighting for a spot in the SEL or "just" the honor.

Perhaps some sort of play-off system between the best Danish and Norwegian team and the two best Allsvenskan teams could be made... I'm just thinking out loud here
I think that the best danish teams are around low-level allsvenskan. If you stacked the best danish non-NHL players in one danish superteam it could be good enough for elitserien, but might also be an elevator team between allsvenskan and elitserien. So I agree for a nordic league it should only be fair that the danish and norwegian teams should battle with the allsvenskan teams for promotion.

About the danish league getting boring I don't think so necessarily, since the many of the best danish Al-bank players already flood the allsvenskan (9 players there, and then 2 in Røgle that most likely will be relegated from elitserien after this season). You could think include Morten Madsen from Modo and the 4 players from the german league and maybe Nichlas Hardt and Simon Nielsen from SM-liiga and you have 18 players without having drained any danish team.
If we are just talking one danish Copenhagen team playing for SEL or allsvenskan I don't think it would affect the danish league that much. Two teams certainly will.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:58 AM
  #35
Bank
Registered User
 
Bank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Odense, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
About the danish league getting boring I don't think so necessarily, since the many of the best danish Al-bank players already flood the allsvenskan (9 players there, and then 2 in Røgle that most likely will be relegated from elitserien after this season). You could think include Morten Madsen from Modo and the 4 players from the german league and maybe Nichlas Hardt and Simon Nielsen from SM-liiga and you have 18 players without having drained any danish team.
If we are just talking one danish Copenhagen team playing for SEL or allsvenskan I don't think it would affect the danish league that much. Two teams certainly will.
I was thinking more along the lines of the case where teams can get move between the SEL/Nordic League and the Danish League. The quality would be gathered around the teams with a chance to play SEL/Nordic League and it would be even more obvious for the good players in bad teams where to go to move their career along. Herlev, Copenhagen Hockey, Esbjerg and perhaps even Rodovre would have a harder time keeping their big names if they get an offer to play SEL on a Danish team.

Today the league is quite fluid with teams going up and down the ranking from year to year. That might get lost in the process. Might be worth it.

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:54 AM
  #36
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
I have before been discussing the importance of an olympic qualification success and here is some economic proof of it.

According to the chairman of Team Denmark - Michael Andersen:
If Denmark qualifies for Sochi the Danish Hockey Union will receive 6,2 million kroner (1.13 million dollars) in 2013, and its likely more will follow.
Source:
http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/flere...-ved-ol-succes

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
  #37
Clardz
Registered User
 
Clardz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DFW
Country: Ireland
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Hi everyone, this is a little off topic, but I am currently visiting my girlfriend in Copenhagen and want to check out a shop that sells hockey equipment, mostly just to have a look but I'd be interesting in picking up something that you can't really find in America. As pointed out in this thread hockey doesn't seem to be so popular in the city and I haven't been able to find any hockey gear around here, can anyone please recommend some spots? It would be much appreciated

Clardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
  #38
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clardz View Post
Hi everyone, this is a little off topic, but I am currently visiting my girlfriend in Copenhagen and want to check out a shop that sells hockey equipment, mostly just to have a look but I'd be interesting in picking up something that you can't really find in America. As pointed out in this thread hockey doesn't seem to be so popular in the city and I haven't been able to find any hockey gear around here, can anyone please recommend some spots? It would be much appreciated
I think your biggest chance of finding something special, is to go to one of the clubs homegrounds. They all have fan-shops inside the arena's.

Rødovre has a good one for instance.

Also the sportshops, like sportsmaster, generally sell hockeyequipment when they are located in hockey cities. So you would find some in Herlev, Rødovre, Hvidovre and so forth.

But, the cheapest and most effective way is this online shop.

http://hockeyshop.dk/hockeyudstyr.html

Ofcourse, that's for more general hockey equipment.

ImGoingNucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:29 PM
  #39
andersej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
This one is in Rødovre:

http://rexhockey.com/en/

andersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 01:21 PM
  #40
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 500
I'm quite surprised, 0.07 percent of the Danish population is registered in hockey yet they still manage to yield a pretty competitive team. Less than even teams like Italy, Latvia, Austria yet Denmark still manages to have many teams in the top division on many levels. Also in sports like soccer and handball they are frequently amongst the top despite a population of just about 5.58 million people. What does this tell me? It says to me that the Danes generally have really good athletic genes and if there was an increase in the registered players they could easily be a top 6-7 team. I believe the obesity ratings in the country are amongst the lowest in Europe as well so many people are fit in the Danish population.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:13 PM
  #41
Bagge
Registered User
 
Bagge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I'm quite surprised, 0.07 percent of the Danish population is registered in hockey yet they still manage to yield a pretty competitive team. Less than even teams like Italy, Latvia, Austria yet Denmark still manages to have many teams in the top division on many levels. Also in sports like soccer and handball they are frequently amongst the top despite a population of just about 5.58 million people. What does this tell me? It says to me that the Danes generally have really good athletic genes and if there was an increase in the registered players they could easily be a top 6-7 team. I believe the obesity ratings in the country are amongst the lowest in Europe as well so many people are fit in the Danish population.
Well, we are vikings!!

We take a lot of things for granted in Denmark. All counties supports the local sports in various extends. Any small village above 500 in population have their own football team and probably handball for some areas, which is probably subsidied from the county. Basically you can start a sportclub and then apply for money at the local government. At least they will have a ground and a couple of goals provided. Most counties also have at least one activity center which supports most indoor sports during winter and those which can not be played outside f.ex. badminton or handball.

The problem with hockey is that it is so expensive to start up. For football you need a pair of boots and thats about it, but hockey will cost you at least 500 $ just to start with and many families do not have that kind of money. Also, if your friends plays football you are more likely to start playing that. For that reason and for the reason that we only have around 20 hockeyrinks in Denmark, we have somewhat stalled in our development in hockey.

To take the next step we need to build more rinks in mid-size cities. There are many cities above 50k in population that doesnt even have one.

I find it somewhat absurd that counties like Rødovre and Herning have to reject youth because they do not have room for anymore in the rinks. This could very easily be fixed with building more rinks in the counties close to the "center-clubs" but not many counties are willing to build those. Unfortunately.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:38 AM
  #42
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagge View Post
I find it somewhat absurd that counties like Rødovre and Herning have to reject youth because they do not have room for anymore in the rinks. This could very easily be fixed with building more rinks in the counties close to the "center-clubs" but not many counties are willing to build those. Unfortunately.
Yeah it really is frustrating that these two hockey-centers that have made so many NHL quality players have to say no to possible talents, that never will get the chance to play.

But money is hard to get these days for any kind of building. New housing is this year at its lowest ever, even significantly lower than the 30's after the Wall Street Bust of 1929.


Last edited by Justinov: 06-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
  #43
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,901
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Strange. Its the Oresund. Does Malmo not have a team?

It would be an instant rivalry

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:11 AM
  #44
Bank
Registered User
 
Bank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Odense, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Strange. Its the Oresund. Does Malmo not have a team?

It would be an instant rivalry
Sorry, what is?

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:25 PM
  #45
Bagge
Registered User
 
Bagge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Strange. Its the Oresund. Does Malmo not have a team?

It would be an instant rivalry
Two different countries and therefore two different leagues

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 02:37 PM
  #46
Steingarten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Dear fellow Nordic hockey heads!

How does one obtain info on how an amateur/retiree could find decent ice in Copenhagen? I've recently moved into Copenhagen, and would be interested in any 'open' rink shifts to get back on the skates and take some shots. Mostly interested in a casual weekend skate, working probably won't leave time for more regular team activities..

Any good info is highly appreciated! (Apologies if this is a too vague of a question for this thread.)

Thx.

Steingarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 03:57 PM
  #47
Bank
Registered User
 
Bank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Odense, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
First of all welcome to this horrible great city

I'm not sure if there's nets on ice at all time seeing as not a lot of folks in Denmark go play hockey for fun(If you the equipment it's cause your connected to a club to some extend). But I can provide the names for some rinks and their opening hours. Then you'll have to try and figure it out.

There's rinks in Rødovre, Gentofte, Gladsaxe, Herlev and Østerbro(Although I think that's closed).

When Rødovre get their schedule up(By october) it should be here: http://rsik-kunst.dk/forside/offentligt-sk-jtel-b.html

The rinks is part of a bigger complex run by a Jørgen Skriver. Contact info here: https://www.rk.dk/rki/skoejte-arena/...e-oplysninger/


When Herlev is open(By week 42) it's Tuesday+Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Times are on the right site of this site: http://www.herlev.dk/borger/kultur-i...rlev-skojtehal

When Østerbro opens(If it opens... by october) it's Monday-Friday 12:00-14:45 and Sunday 14:00-16:30 I think.

Gentofte opens by October I suspect. Don't know what their closing hours are but's there two rinks out there I think. Ditto Rødovre.

That's all I know. Feel free to ask if there's anything else you have questions about(Skates, public transport, what's easy if and if and if). We might not have an answer but we'll try

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2014, 02:21 PM
  #48
Steingarten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
Whole post
Wow. Kudos to you, Bank! Impressive consolidation, big thanks for the help.

45 days until the NHL season starts, 45 too many..

Steingarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 12:03 AM
  #49
potsos
Registered User
 
potsos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Freeport, Antonica
Country: United States
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
I'm American, but I love Copenhagen and I've been to Denmark 6 times since 1997. From 1997-2001, I played a LOT of inline hockey with some neighborhood kids in Herlev (Pilegaardsvej/Morkhoj) apartments and I'd see other kids playing inline around the suburbs, so I know that at least some kids were interested in hockey as a past time. We played hockey all the time and football occasionally as well.

Anyway, I miss Copenhagen all the time. Great city!

potsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2014, 07:51 AM
  #50
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsos View Post
I'm American, but I love Copenhagen and I've been to Denmark 6 times since 1997. From 1997-2001, I played a LOT of inline hockey with some neighborhood kids in Herlev (Pilegaardsvej/Morkhoj) apartments and I'd see other kids playing inline around the suburbs, so I know that at least some kids were interested in hockey as a past time. We played hockey all the time and football occasionally as well.

Anyway, I miss Copenhagen all the time. Great city!
Yeah if you go to suburbs like Herlev and Rødovre. Played inline hockey with some kids at Gentofte Stadium myself many years ago. Probably around the same time in fact (1997-2001)
But Copenhagen proper is still largely untapped and many areas around the country are still hockey dead-zones. So still much room for improvement - meaning more rinks and more opportunity for kids to become attracted to play it!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.