HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Coyotes could break even, or even profit, if there are no games

Old
12-26-2012, 10:41 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Coyotes could break even, or even profit, if there are no games

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...medium=twitter

Should Jamison complete sale, and there is no season (player salaries to be paid), the team could still profit (or at least break even).

Of the $11mm being paid this season, the city is subtracting $60k for every game not played. Still could result in $4-5mm paid out.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Simply owning a hockey team costs more than just the player salaries, even if the team isn't playing. How much are Mike Nealy, Don Maloney, Brad Treliving, and the rest of the Coyotes front office and scouting staff making collectively? I bet even pro-rated for half a year, it's more than the CoG is going to be paying out to Jamison.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Should Jamison complete sale, and there is no season (player salaries to be paid), the team could still profit (or at least break even).

Of the $11mm being paid this season, the city is subtracting $60k for every game not played. Still could result in $4-5mm paid out.
If true that just tells us there will never be hockey again. All teams profit with no games
being played.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:42 AM
moosehead81

Probably one of the main reasons there won't be a 2012-13 season. Given this scenario, I could have bought the team and made money. Poor Glendale.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:52 AM
GuelphStormer

so, of course, this will mean the coyotes will have to contibute to the revenue sharing fund and help subsidize those teams with massive fixed overheads that will surely lose money this year - you know, the real teams like toronto and montreal and new york ... the same teams that have kept this joke of a franchise on life support for 16 years.

sunnuck actually seems to be rejoicing in this perverted situation. i fully expect joyce clark to quote the article as proof that the team is profitable and that hockey can and does work in the desert.

GuelphStormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I bet even pro-rated for half a year, it's more than the CoG is going to be paying out to Jamison.
I rather doubt that. The NHL has on an ongoing basis cut expenses to the bone in Glendale, Nealy, Maloney/Treliving, Tippett et although being paid well enough are certainly far from the likes of a Brian Burke or whomever else in the league. Massive cuts were made in sales, marketing, media relations, admin etc, skeleton staff. Jamisons set to receive app $15M (sliding scale) per annum, roughly 3X's and then some the going rate for Arena Management Services, no clause's that he cant sub-contract them out.

He could simply run with existing personnel & overhead, pay himself of course, with plenty left over for whatever. Thats if, IF it ever gets that far, which I dont believe it will nor should, as clearly the deal is in direct breach & contravention of Arizonas' Gift Clause, a Direct Subsidy, and I fully expect the Goldwater Institute to act in January when the deal is supposed to close with the NHL.... a shame, because I do believe Phoenix is salvageable & worth saving, but not like this, not under these terms & conditions.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Legionnaire11

Meanwhile, the players lose 100% of potential salaries while being locked out... As unfair as it may be, the smartest move for the PA is to accept the best offer they can and still play 82 games. Missed that chance!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Meanwhile, the players lose 100% of potential salaries while being locked out... As unfair as it may be, the smartest move for the PA is to accept the best offer they can and still play 82 games. Missed that chance!
They're all getting quality family time this year because as I've read here and other places over and over again, it is much more important than money.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I rather doubt that. The NHL has on an ongoing basis cut expenses to the bone in Glendale, Nealy, Maloney/Treliving, Tippett et although being paid well enough are certainly far from the likes of a Brian Burke or whomever else in the league. Massive cuts were made in sales, marketing, media relations, admin etc, skeleton staff. Jamisons set to receive app $15M (sliding scale) per annum, roughly 3X's and then some the going rate for Arena Management Services, no clause's that he cant sub-contract them out.

He could simply run with existing personnel & overhead, pay himself of course, with plenty left over for whatever.
As in the Panthers arena discussion, what he might make from the arena isn't involved when we talk about whether or not the team makes or loses money. Although I would say that someone pulling in an overall profit in that situation is more willing to overlook the fact that hockey ops lose money.

Also, between those 3 guys, we are talking about at least $2m, probably closer to $3m that these guys are owed for half the year. Add in Tippett too for maybe another half million. Did they lay off everyone on their front office page? A skeleton crew is still going to cost more than $4m. Particularly if they're still employing any semblance of an active amateur scouting department.

Doug MacLean has stated on XM that the Blue Jackets lost $17m in the last lockout despite having no player expenses. No matter what, I highly doubt the Coyotes are going to lose significantly less than that.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:55 PM
WingsFan95

The NHL is a corporation.

All they owe their employees is basic human rights, health and pension.

Does the NHL not give out pensions?

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan95 View Post
The NHL is a corporation.

All they owe their employees is basic human rights, health and pension.

Does the NHL not give out pensions?
I would consider freedom of movement to be a basic human right.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
objectiveposter

I wonder how much revenue the league generates during a lockout... they still sell some merchandise and a few other revenue streams

objectiveposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectiveposter View Post
I wonder how much revenue the league generates during a lockout... they still sell some merchandise and a few other revenue streams
Comcast/NBC is still paying them too. Although they will owe NBC a free year at the end of the lockout if the season is cancelled

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectiveposter View Post
Apparently NBC is still going to pay them. I've read here, the league will just tack on a freebie year to the end of the contract. By the way how is that going to workout for the players no NHL TV HRR that last year?

Old
12-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I would consider freedom of movement to be a basic human right.
If players don't like NHL rules they are free to move to another industry, or a different league within the same industry. That right has not been infringed upon.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
If players don't like NHL rules they are free to move to another industry, or a different league within the same industry. That right has not been infringed upon.
Yeah I agree with that to an extent. I don't really have a problem with exclusive service contracts or limits on them. But in a dispute over movement rights, the employees are always going to try to have as much freedom of movement as possible. It's just an extension of the point you quoted.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:18 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
I doubt that $4m "profit" factors in value of the money to buy the franchise.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:30 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Not true for 2012-13 (source).

As usual, Sunnucks misses out on the economics of this one. However, given that many on this board have joked that the BOH is indeed his only source, it's probably time we get our story straight. The reason why less than $11M will be paid out for this year, as the Glendale spokeswoman correctly points out in the article (but which the reporter obviously missed), is that it is prorated i.e. it's essentially a $916k/month management fee, regardless of what actually happens in the arena, NHL, non-hockey events, or neither.

barneyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:35 AM
GuelphStormer

am i the only one whose blood boils a tiny bit when i read the word 'profit' in the context of a welfare recipient?

GuelphStormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:43 AM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
am i the only one whose blood boils a tiny bit when i read the word 'profit' in the context of a welfare recipient?
When you don't like anything having to do with the Coyotes that is an easy answer:

YES

NHLfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:50 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
Just shows how pathetic the whole situation is.

Up until this season, the best season the Coyotes had financially was the last time the NHL cancelled a season. And now the Coyotes are looking to bounce back and maybe break even with another cancelled season.

Although I'm sure Jamison and friends are a nice bunch of guys.... you have to be brain dead to buy a business where the only time you "might" make money is when it is shut down.

Then again... a $320M gift eases the pain a little bit.

Last edited by cbcwpg: 12-27-2012 at 10:56 AM.
cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote