HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens and Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2012, 11:27 AM
  #1
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Pens and Leafs

Leafs trade:
Kessel
Reimer
Gardiner

Pens trade:
Fleury
Morrow
Letang

This deal obviously isn't finalized, so debate which should add more.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:29 AM
  #2
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Leafs trade:
Kessel
Reimer
Gardiner

Pens trade:
Fleury
Morrow
Letang

This deal obviously isn't finalized, so debate which should add more.
How about instead of debating....i just say no thanks.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:31 AM
  #3
jayball75
Registered User
 
jayball75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Leafs trade:
Kessel
Reimer
Gardiner

Pens trade:
Fleury
Morrow
Letang

This deal obviously isn't finalized, so debate which should add more.
Id say your going to take some heat for what pit is giving up.

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:35 AM
  #4
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,942
vCash: 500
Leafs say no. We would have no offense up front

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
  #5
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount
 
mcphllp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
id probably do it, losing kessel is tough though, hes one of the top wingers in the game. but getting maf and letang make up for it

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:38 AM
  #6
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Pens fans are gonna be PISSED that I included Letang, but Gardiner will become almost as good, if not as good, as Letang in the long run.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:45 AM
  #7
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Pens fans are gonna be PISSED that I included Letang, but Gardiner will become almost as good, if not as good, as Letang in the long run.
U really think so? I don't and I am a Leafs fan.

in all seriousness, I would do this as a Leafs fan, Letang is arguably the best player in the deal, MAF is much proven and better than Reimer and on top of that, he is a legit #1 G, and getting a prospect like Morrow who safely looks like he could be a top 4 d-man at worst is more than satisfying.

I think we would clearly win this deal, though not by AINEC.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:46 AM
  #8
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,373
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Pens fans are gonna be PISSED that I included Letang, but Gardiner will become almost as good, if not as good, as Letang in the long run.
First off, I don't agree that Gardiner will become as good as Letang. Second, *if* he hypothetically does, why would the Leafs deal him AND Kessel?

I don't like the proposal mainly because I don't want to give up Letang just to find a top six winger (there are ways to do that without trading away our best defenseman), and because trading away Fleury for Reimer does nothing for our goaltending situation.

In effect, the proposal strengthens the Pens' forwards, but weakens the defense and goalie position.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
  #9
Badger Mayhew
Registered User
 
Badger Mayhew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 50
No from the Leafs.

Changing Letang to Neal would get it done, but I'm not sure how the Pens feel about it.

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:52 AM
  #10
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Kudos on giving up good players from your own team but I doubt Toronto would do it. Value-wise it boils down to:

Letang for Kessel
MAF for Gardiner
Morrow for Reimer

And I wouldn't say the value is that far off. It doesn't fill Toronto's biggest need though (1C) and it actually opens another huge whole on the first line so that cancels out the upgrades they made at D and goalie.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
  #11
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
This is how I broke down this deal. Pens would let Vokoun be the starter for 2 years, since he is still capable, and while he is the starter, he would mentor/help Reimer. Kessel is self-explanatory, and Gardiner will end up being a very good top-pair D. So essentially the Pens get a young starting goalie (he is capable), perhaps the best winger in the league right now and a future star on the back end. Leafs get a fantastic D, a good D prospect and a proven starter. Sorry if this offends, but I don't see an issue with that deal. If you want a long-term star for Sid, you will have to pay up.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:57 AM
  #12
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,373
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
This is how I broke down this deal. Pens would let Vokoun be the starter for 2 years, since he is still capable, and while he is the starter, he would mentor/help Reimer. Kessel is self-explanatory, and Gardiner will end up being a very good top-pair D. So essentially the Pens get a young starting goalie (he is capable), perhaps the best winger in the league right now and a future star on the back end. Leafs get a fantastic D, a good D prospect and a proven starter. Sorry if this offends, but I don't see an issue with that deal. If you want a long-term star for Sid, you will have to pay up.
Not by giving up the best defenseman on the roster. There are other ways to fill a need without creating another hole in doing so.

James Neal didn't cost the Pens the best defenseman on the roster. When the Hossa deal was made, the best defenseman on the roster didn't go the other way. Adding Chris Kunitz didn't cost the Pens the best defenseman on the roster.

You don't make one area of your team weaker (defense and goaltending) just to strengthen another (forward).

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
  #13
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
First off, I don't agree that Gardiner will become as good as Letang. Second, *if* he hypothetically does, why would the Leafs deal him AND Kessel?

I don't like the proposal mainly because I don't want to give up Letang just to find a top six winger (there are ways to do that without trading away our best defenseman), and because trading away Fleury for Reimer does nothing for our goaltending situation.

In effect, the proposal strengthens the Pens' forwards, but weakens the defense and goalie position.
It would make it cheaper so you could patch the whole in your top 4. I'm not necessarily advocating going with the cheap 1a/1b guys because I love that Montreal just has one awesome, expensive goalie but it would be something to think about if there was a move available for a top 4 D that would fit into your system.

Edit: Actually come to think of it don't you have lots of cap space anyway from not landing one of Parise/Suter and trading Michalek? If so then nevermind.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:04 PM
  #14
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Leafs trade:
Kessel
Reimer
Gardiner

Pens trade:
Fleury
Morrow
Letang

This deal obviously isn't finalized, so debate which should add more.
leafs pass. easily. doesn't fill a need, we have gardiner and Rielly who both have puck moving abilities, if MAF was on the trade block i would offer something around gardiner but no way we give up or best offensive forward for what we have a surplus of

pooleboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:04 PM
  #15
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,373
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
It would make it cheaper so you could patch the whole in your top 4. I'm not necessarily advocating going with the cheap 1a/1b guys because I love that Montreal just has one awesome, expensive goalie but it would be something to think about if there was a move available for a top 4 D that would fit into your system.

Edit: Actually come to think of it don't you have lots of cap space anyway from not landing one of Parise/Suter and trading Michalek? If so then nevermind.
But it's making the goalie position weaker. If the Pens ever do decide to part ways with Fleury, it will be to *upgrade* the position, not downgrade to someone like Reimer just to save a couple of million.

The whole point in making trades is to improve a weakness without creating a new one. For instance, adding James Neal for Alex Goligoski was a great move because it filled a hole (forward scoring) without creating one elsewhere (Goligoski was about 5th on the depth chart on defense at the time of the trade). If instead the deal was Neal for Letang, I doubt Shero would have pulled the trigger because he'd be strengthening one position (forward) but weakening another (losing the top defenseman on the team).

I'm not against dealing Fleury. I'm one of those that's annoyed with his recent playoff meltdowns. But at the same time, I want them to UPGRADE on Fleury, not bring in a guy who has even more question marks and just cross my fingers that it somehow works.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
  #16
MovesLikeJagr68
Registered User
 
MovesLikeJagr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
This is how I broke down this deal. Pens would let Vokoun be the starter for 2 years, since he is still capable, and while he is the starter, he would mentor/help Reimer. Kessel is self-explanatory, and Gardiner will end up being a very good top-pair D. So essentially the Pens get a young starting goalie (he is capable), perhaps the best winger in the league right now and a future star on the back end. Leafs get a fantastic D, a good D prospect and a proven starter. Sorry if this offends, but I don't see an issue with that deal. If you want a long-term star for Sid, you will have to pay up.
I hate to do this to Leaf players since they don't get much love on these boards, but you're kind of overrating these guys. Reimer may be a capable starter, but he won't end up being nearly as good as Fleury, or a guy I would want to backstop a championship team. Kessel is not THE best winger in the league, let's be real. Also he does not`have that same aggressive physical style that Bylsma seems to look for in his wingers. Gardiner will be a good D-man, but he won't be at Letang's level, so why downgrade? Plus Letang is only 3 years older so I really don't get that trade off at all.

MovesLikeJagr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:17 PM
  #17
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr68 View Post
I hate to do this to Leaf players since they don't get much love on these boards, but you're kind of overrating these guys. Reimer may be a capable starter, but he won't end up being nearly as good as Fleury, or a guy I would want to backstop a championship team. Kessel is not THE best winger in the league, let's be real. Also he does not`have that same aggressive physical style that Bylsma seems to look for in his wingers. Gardiner will be a good D-man, but he won't be at Letang's level, so why downgrade? Plus Letang is only 3 years older so I really don't get that trade off at all.
A. Kessel scored nearly 40 goals and 80 points without a good center. Neal only does that with Malkin. Kessel is one of the best in the game.

B. On Reimer never being as good as Fleury
Reimer's stats in 2011: 2.60 GAA, .921 Save %
Fleury's best ever: 2.32 GAA, 0.918 Save %

Reimer did that in his rookie season. He then got a concussion last year which screwed him up badly. And he was on a weaker team as well. Point is, Reimer has already been as good as Fleury in his rookie year, there's no reason to think he can't again.

C. Letang isn't this consistent Norris-candidate that people think he is. He is a very good number-1 D, which Gardiner will probably become.

You are severely overrating the Pens players, and I'm a Pens fan.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:18 PM
  #18
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
So the leafs offense will be nonexistent and the pens D will be non existent... Makes sense

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
  #19
Black Label
Registered User
 
Black Label's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: København
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,573
vCash: 500
Just because you put a bunch of big name players into a trade doesn't mean it fills needs for both teams. The Leafs need a center, this proposal does not help that. The Penguins need help on defense, trading away the best defenseman on the team along with the best defensive prospect does nothing to remedy the situation. Absolutely moronic proposal that does nothing to help either team.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:26 PM
  #20
MovesLikeJagr68
Registered User
 
MovesLikeJagr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
A. Kessel scored nearly 40 goals and 80 points without a good center. Neal only does that with Malkin. Kessel is one of the best in the game.
I never compared him to Neal, I was just saying that he is not THE best winger in the league.

Quote:
B. On Reimer never being as good as Fleury
Reimer's stats in 2011: 2.60 GAA, .921 Save %
Fleury's best ever: 2.32 GAA, 0.918 Save %

Reimer did that in his rookie season. He then got a concussion last year which screwed him up badly. And he was on a weaker team as well. Point is, Reimer has already been as good as Fleury in his rookie year, there's no reason to think he can't again.
I'm not even going to bother with this one.

Quote:
C. Letang isn't this consistent Norris-candidate that people think he is. He is a very good number-1 D, which Gardiner will probably become
Letang is a #1 now. Why would they trade that away for a guy who MAY one day be a #1? Just doesn't make any sense...

MovesLikeJagr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:26 PM
  #21
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Just because you put a bunch of big name players into a trade doesn't mean it fills needs for both teams. The Leafs need a center, this proposal does not help that. The Penguins need help on defense, trading away the best defenseman on the team along with the best defensive prospect does nothing to remedy the situation. Absolutely moronic proposal that does nothing to help either team.
The issue with your statement is that while the Pens D isn't the best, it is serviceable. Also, we probably have the best collection of D prospects right now, so why would we trade for D help when we know in 2-3 years we will be the best in the league? And the Leaf's need for a goalie I think is more important than a 1C, they could sign Getzlaf next summer, but they can't get someone like Fleury.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:30 PM
  #22
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr68 View Post
I never compared him to Neal, I was just saying that he is not THE best winger in the league.
I never said you compared him to Neal, I was doing that comparison because everyone thinks Neal is so good right now.

Quote:
I'm not even going to bother with this one.
Oh no, I used facts and statistics, I guess that means I'm wrong. At least defend Fleury a little bit. You saying "I'm not even going to bother with this one" just shows that you can't refute it.

Quote:
Letang is a #1 now. Why would they trade that away for a guy who MAY one day be a #1? Just doesn't make any sense...
I would put Gardiner as a number 2 or 3 D right now. Yeah, it would probably hurt in the short run, but in the long run, it would save us a bunch of money that we would have spent on Letang and would help us when the likes of Dumoulin/Maatta/Despres get up here. Our D right now isn't the best, even with Letang. I'd rather have a younger D corpse in the future than have Letang right now, mainly because we won't be winning the cup now, but we may in a few years.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:42 PM
  #23
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,198
vCash: 13357
Why does either team do this?

Toronto would have virtually nonexistent offense and adhere to a style Fleury is absolutely horrible at; run 'n' gun. While Fleury is undoubtedly better than Reimer, the upgrade is a bit underwhelming overall once you factor what is lost. Letang cannot offset the subtraction of both Kessel and Gardiner.

On Pittsburgh side, Gardiner is in every way inferior to Letang and beyond him, the Pen's defense is not particularly stellar. A downgrade in goal would equate to Pittsburgh being a superior variation of what Toronto was last year; all gun and no barrel. While they might score in droves, they would allow a disgusting amount of goals themselves and likely end up shredded by better teams.

Not a good trade for either team.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
  #24
MovesLikeJagr68
Registered User
 
MovesLikeJagr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Oh no, I used facts and statistics, I guess that means I'm wrong. At least defend Fleury a little bit. You saying "I'm not even going to bother with this one" just shows that you can't refute it.
I'm not bothering with this because I'm not wasting my time arguing online with someone who's trying to say Reimer is better than an All-Star goalie who was a huge reason his team has been to 2 SC Finals and 1 Cup win just because he (along with his defence) had a terrible playoff series.

MovesLikeJagr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:54 PM
  #25
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr68 View Post
I'm not bothering with this because I'm not wasting my time arguing online with someone who's trying to say Reimer is better than an All-Star goalie who has a huge reason his team has been to 2 SC Finals and 1 Cup win just because he (along with his defence) had a terrible playoff series.
No where did I say Reimer was a better goalie, nor did I say the reason was because of the playoffs. All I said was that Reimer is just about as good as Fleury, and will continue to get better. And Fleury was an All-Star once, that doesn't qualify as an all-star goalie. And didn't he get lit up in that game anyway, not that it matters? I also am fully aware that Fleury was a huge part in those cup runs. The issue is that none of what you said derails any from Reimer's ability. Reimer will be a very capable starter in the NHL, and has already had a season better than any of Fleury's.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.