HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Maxim Shalunov Suspended 1 Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2012, 02:05 PM
  #101
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Wasn't a particularly vicious shot, but yeah, that's not a hockey play, I have no problem with a suspension.

  Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:11 PM
  #102
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Because the punishment shouldn't be based on the damage done. It should be based on what Jenner did and why.

As I said above, there are numerous possible explanations for hitting someone late besides wanting to injure that player such as not realizing the hit would be late. There are far fewer explanations for cross-checking someone in the face.
Its funny that you allow for "numerous possible explanations" for Jenner's hit other than the obvious intent to hit late when his head was turned, but you don't seem to allow for other possible explanations for bringing your stick up below your rib cage when you suddenly realize that you are about to be hit, even though you haven't had possession of the puck for a while. Little bit of a double standard?

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:16 PM
  #103
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,824
vCash: 3012
1 game? He should be suspended for the tournament for that hit. The hit was so dirty the whole team should be suspended for the tournament. It was simply barbaric.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:18 PM
  #104
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Because the punishment shouldn't be based on the damage done. It should be based on what Jenner did and why.

As I said above, there are numerous possible explanations for hitting someone late besides wanting to injure that player such as not realizing the hit would be late. There are far fewer explanations for cross-checking someone in the face.
There are far fewer plausible explanations when there is video of you sizing up your prey, taking a big windup to hit him while his face is clearly focused across the ice, and then hitting him hard and following through (his stick was low, but in the area where the damage was caused). You can try to make this an East/West thing, but the facts are in your face.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:35 PM
  #105
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Why would you cross-check someone in the face?
1. To injure that person.
2. When you reactively raise your stick across to protect yourself from incoming hit you noticed a split-second before the impact.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:01 PM
  #106
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
There are far fewer plausible explanations when there is video of you sizing up your prey, taking a big windup to hit him while his face is clearly focused across the ice, and then hitting him hard and following through (his stick was low, but in the area where the damage was caused). You can try to make this an East/West thing, but the facts are in your face.
Nice embellishment, but that's all that is. The "facts" are that Jenner hit Petersson x amount of seconds late, straight on neither too high nor too low. Those are the facts. I already stated why I don't think injury should be factored in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
2. When you reactively raise your stick across to protect yourself from incoming hit you noticed a split-second before the impact.
As I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777
I'm sure more reasons can be thought of for both, but in the end I think there are many more possible explanations for hitting another player late than there are for cross-checking him in the face.
You could make the argument that Shalunov had a size difference and didn't mean to cross-check the opposing player in the face in which case I might agree with you. But I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

In the end I think the only difference between the two (Jenner and Shalunov) which should account for the 3 game suspension versus 1 is that Jenner was also disciplined last year. I don't think injury should be mentioned.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:06 PM
  #107
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,183
vCash: 500
Such a dumb play to make, was kind of hoping the Slovaks would make them pay and take the W in OT even though I was cheering for Yakupov, Zharkov and the Russians.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:22 PM
  #108
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
You could make the argument that Shalunov had a size difference and didn't mean to cross-check the opposing player in the face in which case I might agree with you. But I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.
Many people have said (including myself) that it was a reactionary crosscheck, he just raised his stick to protect himself against sudden "attack". Not intentional IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
In the end I think the only difference between the two (Jenner and Shalunov) which should account for the 3 game suspension versus 1 is that Jenner was also disciplined last year. I don't think injury should be mentioned.
I disagree, partly atleast. Repeat offender status probably gave him 1 extra game.

But there is a clear difference, what Shalunov did wasn't intentional, it was more reactive. Jenner should be banned from the game of hockey for the rest of his life if he's too stupid to realize that he's way late or slow enough to be unable to react in time when he realized it's going to be way late hit.

Or he knew he was going to be late but decided to go for it anyway.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:37 PM
  #109
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
Shalunov should be banned from hockey for life if he is too stupid or slow to realize you don't crosscheck someone in the face after dishing off the puck.


Some of you guys are really out there. Always good for a laugh.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:06 PM
  #110
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Jenner did not take 1 stride. He was gliding from nearly the blueline.

A bodycheck is something allowed in hockey, hitting someone in the face with your stick is not.
he took 4 or 5 strides before he started gliding at the blue line for a hit, which is still a charge.

brutal cross-check, guy got what he deserved, RNH should come out and say he's ready for a dirty Russian team.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:10 PM
  #111
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Shalunov should be banned from hockey for life if he is too stupid or slow to realize you don't crosscheck someone in the face after dishing off the puck.


Some of you guys are really out there. Always good for a laugh.
No, you missed the point once again.

What Shalunov was clearly illegal, 1 game suspension was warranted. But the difference is that Shalunov made a reactionary move whereas Jenner had all the time in the world to realize he was not going to hit Pettersson legally. If you can't see the difference, I dont know what to tell you.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
  #112
Canada4Gold
Registered User
 
Canada4Gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
No, you missed the point once again.

What Shalunov was clearly illegal, 1 game suspension was warranted. But the difference is that Shalunov made a reactionary move whereas Jenner had all the time in the world to realize he was not going to hit Pettersson legally. If you can't see the difference, I dont know what to tell you.
he didn't have all the time in the world, he had 1 second, before that Pettersson had the puck so the hit would have been legal

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:28 PM
  #113
SH15
Registered User
 
SH15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
No, you missed the point once again.

What Shalunov was clearly illegal, 1 game suspension was warranted. But the difference is that Shalunov made a reactionary move whereas Jenner had all the time in the world to realize he was not going to hit Pettersson legally. If you can't see the difference, I dont know what to tell you.


You realize there was less than 1 second from the time the puck left Pettersson's stick until the hit right?

Late hit, don't get me wrong, and I think the 3 games for Jenner is appropriate given the injury to the player and his past suspension history. But that doesn't change the fact that crosschecking someone in the teeth is definitely dirtier than throwing a bodycheck a bit too late.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:48 PM
  #114
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)
 
ErikKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
What a joke. Only 1 game for this and Jenner gets 3? Guess its because of all that Canadian favoritism from the refs.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:50 PM
  #115
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
No, you missed the point once again.

What Shalunov was clearly illegal, 1 game suspension was warranted. But the difference is that Shalunov made a reactionary move whereas Jenner had all the time in the world to realize he was not going to hit Pettersson legally. If you can't see the difference, I dont know what to tell you.
If it makes you feel better about having the player that has made the dirtiest move of the World jrs this year, You keep thinking that.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
  #116
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
That's a fair suspension. I really have no idea why the Slovak player turned and went at Shalunov to begin with. Anyone saying this is dirtier than what Jenner did is not thinking clearly. Sure, we Canadians look down on any stick violence more so than body contact. However, this was a quick reaction to an unexpected and illegal interference type check. The Slovak also leaned down towards Shalunov's stick. It's not like Shalunov raised up his stick and thrust forward with a vicious premeditated cross check. Jenner stalked his check from the top of the circles to the goal line. The timing of that check was far dirtier.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
  #117
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
The Slovak seemed like he thought the puck was now with Shalunov. I would hardly say he was trying to nail him though.

I agree with your post otherwise. It looked like Salunov was warding off a check and not bringing his stick up, and unlikely was targetting the head.

The double minor was warranted, but I don't see the suspension either. One game is plenty if there must be one.
/thread, you've got to be responsible for you stick. 1 game was fine.

******** Jenner fans need to get over it.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:09 PM
  #118
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post

You realize there was less than 1 second from the time the puck left Pettersson's stick until the hit right?
You can facepalm all you want, it doesn't make your argument any better.

Do you realize that 1 second (it was likely more than that) in a game of hockey is a lot of time? Goalies react to incoming shots in fractions of that.

When you're going for a hit, your whole body is primed & alert, ready to react to whatever happens. Jenner had plenty of time to abort hit/slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
But that doesn't change the fact that crosschecking someone in the teeth is definitely dirtier than throwing a bodycheck a bit too late.
Shalunov didn't intentionally crosscheck the opponent in the face, how hard is this to understand? He saw the opponent coming at him just before the impact and raised his stick to protect himself.

And Jenner's hit was much more than "a bit too late".

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
  #119
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Dirty stupid play. If he got suspended for the rest of the tournament I wouldn't mind. 1 game is pretty lenient if you ask me, probably because the Slovak player wasn't seriously injured.

Jenner's hit is a different topic. There was already a thread for that.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:26 PM
  #120
weklof
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Solna, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Does the IIHF release reasoning on their suspensions?

weklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:04 PM
  #121
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weklof View Post
LOL. Anyway, this thread is proof that fans are baised.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:06 PM
  #122
RandomKeyStrokes*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Bullish*t suspension. Should have got 2 for the high stick and that's it. Jenner can sprint down the ice and try and kill someone 3 seconds after he passes the puck. And only gets 3. While an innocent player tries todefend himself and gets one for that. The IIHF really needs to do a better job hiding the canadian bias they have. Because we all know if Shalunov was canadian he wouldn't get anything.

RandomKeyStrokes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:08 PM
  #123
Orange Thunder
Registered User
 
Orange Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,721
vCash: 500
How Jenner gets 3 games and this gets 1 game is beyond me.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.