HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Maxim Shalunov Suspended 1 Game

Old
12-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Dado

vCash:
Wasn't a particularly vicious shot, but yeah, that's not a hockey play, I have no problem with a suspension.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Because the punishment shouldn't be based on the damage done. It should be based on what Jenner did and why.

As I said above, there are numerous possible explanations for hitting someone late besides wanting to injure that player such as not realizing the hit would be late. There are far fewer explanations for cross-checking someone in the face.
Its funny that you allow for "numerous possible explanations" for Jenner's hit other than the obvious intent to hit late when his head was turned, but you don't seem to allow for other possible explanations for bringing your stick up below your rib cage when you suddenly realize that you are about to be hit, even though you haven't had possession of the puck for a while. Little bit of a double standard?

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:16 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3012
1 game? He should be suspended for the tournament for that hit. The hit was so dirty the whole team should be suspended for the tournament. It was simply barbaric.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Because the punishment shouldn't be based on the damage done. It should be based on what Jenner did and why.

As I said above, there are numerous possible explanations for hitting someone late besides wanting to injure that player such as not realizing the hit would be late. There are far fewer explanations for cross-checking someone in the face.
There are far fewer plausible explanations when there is video of you sizing up your prey, taking a big windup to hit him while his face is clearly focused across the ice, and then hitting him hard and following through (his stick was low, but in the area where the damage was caused). You can try to make this an East/West thing, but the facts are in your face.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Why would you cross-check someone in the face?
1. To injure that person.
2. When you reactively raise your stick across to protect yourself from incoming hit you noticed a split-second before the impact.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
There are far fewer plausible explanations when there is video of you sizing up your prey, taking a big windup to hit him while his face is clearly focused across the ice, and then hitting him hard and following through (his stick was low, but in the area where the damage was caused). You can try to make this an East/West thing, but the facts are in your face.
Nice embellishment, but that's all that is. The "facts" are that Jenner hit Petersson x amount of seconds late, straight on neither too high nor too low. Those are the facts. I already stated why I don't think injury should be factored in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
2. When you reactively raise your stick across to protect yourself from incoming hit you noticed a split-second before the impact.
As I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777
I'm sure more reasons can be thought of for both, but in the end I think there are many more possible explanations for hitting another player late than there are for cross-checking him in the face.
You could make the argument that Shalunov had a size difference and didn't mean to cross-check the opposing player in the face in which case I might agree with you. But I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

In the end I think the only difference between the two (Jenner and Shalunov) which should account for the 3 game suspension versus 1 is that Jenner was also disciplined last year. I don't think injury should be mentioned.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:06 PM
SephF
See you next time

Such a dumb play to make, was kind of hoping the Slovaks would make them pay and take the W in OT even though I was cheering for Yakupov, Zharkov and the Russians.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Pepper

Quote:
You could make the argument that Shalunov had a size difference and didn't mean to cross-check the opposing player in the face in which case I might agree with you. But I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.
Many people have said (including myself) that it was a reactionary crosscheck, he just raised his stick to protect himself against sudden "attack". Not intentional IMHO.

Quote:
In the end I think the only difference between the two (Jenner and Shalunov) which should account for the 3 game suspension versus 1 is that Jenner was also disciplined last year. I don't think injury should be mentioned.
I disagree, partly atleast. Repeat offender status probably gave him 1 extra game.

But there is a clear difference, what Shalunov did wasn't intentional, it was more reactive. Jenner should be banned from the game of hockey for the rest of his life if he's too stupid to realize that he's way late or slow enough to be unable to react in time when he realized it's going to be way late hit.

Or he knew he was going to be late but decided to go for it anyway.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Shalunov should be banned from hockey for life if he is too stupid or slow to realize you don't crosscheck someone in the face after dishing off the puck.

Some of you guys are really out there. Always good for a laugh.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Jenner did not take 1 stride. He was gliding from nearly the blueline.

A bodycheck is something allowed in hockey, hitting someone in the face with your stick is not.
he took 4 or 5 strides before he started gliding at the blue line for a hit, which is still a charge.

brutal cross-check, guy got what he deserved, RNH should come out and say he's ready for a dirty Russian team.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Shalunov should be banned from hockey for life if he is too stupid or slow to realize you don't crosscheck someone in the face after dishing off the puck.

Some of you guys are really out there. Always good for a laugh.
No, you missed the point once again.

What Shalunov was clearly illegal, 1 game suspension was warranted. But the difference is that Shalunov made a reactionary move whereas Jenner had all the time in the world to realize he was not going to hit Pettersson legally. If you can't see the difference, I dont know what to tell you.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:

What Shalunov was clearly illegal, 1 game suspension was warranted. But the difference is that Shalunov made a reactionary move whereas Jenner had all the time in the world to realize he was not going to hit Pettersson legally. If you can't see the difference, I dont know what to tell you.
he didn't have all the time in the world, he had 1 second, before that Pettersson had the puck so the hit would have been legal

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:28 PM
SH15

Quote:

You realize there was less than 1 second from the time the puck left Pettersson's stick until the hit right?

Late hit, don't get me wrong, and I think the 3 games for Jenner is appropriate given the injury to the player and his past suspension history. But that doesn't change the fact that crosschecking someone in the teeth is definitely dirtier than throwing a bodycheck a bit too late.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:48 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

What a joke. Only 1 game for this and Jenner gets 3? Guess its because of all that Canadian favoritism from the refs.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:

If it makes you feel better about having the player that has made the dirtiest move of the World jrs this year, You keep thinking that.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Nash

That's a fair suspension. I really have no idea why the Slovak player turned and went at Shalunov to begin with. Anyone saying this is dirtier than what Jenner did is not thinking clearly. Sure, we Canadians look down on any stick violence more so than body contact. However, this was a quick reaction to an unexpected and illegal interference type check. The Slovak also leaned down towards Shalunov's stick. It's not like Shalunov raised up his stick and thrust forward with a vicious premeditated cross check. Jenner stalked his check from the top of the circles to the goal line. The timing of that check was far dirtier.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
The Slovak seemed like he thought the puck was now with Shalunov. I would hardly say he was trying to nail him though.

I agree with your post otherwise. It looked like Salunov was warding off a check and not bringing his stick up, and unlikely was targetting the head.

The double minor was warranted, but I don't see the suspension either. One game is plenty if there must be one.
/thread, you've got to be responsible for you stick. 1 game was fine.

******** Jenner fans need to get over it.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post

You realize there was less than 1 second from the time the puck left Pettersson's stick until the hit right?
You can facepalm all you want, it doesn't make your argument any better.

Do you realize that 1 second (it was likely more than that) in a game of hockey is a lot of time? Goalies react to incoming shots in fractions of that.

When you're going for a hit, your whole body is primed & alert, ready to react to whatever happens. Jenner had plenty of time to abort hit/slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
But that doesn't change the fact that crosschecking someone in the teeth is definitely dirtier than throwing a bodycheck a bit too late.
Shalunov didn't intentionally crosscheck the opponent in the face, how hard is this to understand? He saw the opponent coming at him just before the impact and raised his stick to protect himself.

And Jenner's hit was much more than "a bit too late".

Old
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Dirty stupid play. If he got suspended for the rest of the tournament I wouldn't mind. 1 game is pretty lenient if you ask me, probably because the Slovak player wasn't seriously injured.

Jenner's hit is a different topic. There was already a thread for that.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:26 PM
weklof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Does the IIHF release reasoning on their suspensions?

weklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by weklof View Post
LOL. Anyway, this thread is proof that fans are baised.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:06 PM
RandomKeyStrokes*

Bullish*t suspension. Should have got 2 for the high stick and that's it. Jenner can sprint down the ice and try and kill someone 3 seconds after he passes the puck. And only gets 3. While an innocent player tries todefend himself and gets one for that. The IIHF really needs to do a better job hiding the canadian bias they have. Because we all know if Shalunov was canadian he wouldn't get anything.

RandomKeyStrokes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Orange Thunder

How Jenner gets 3 games and this gets 1 game is beyond me.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote