HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
The only thing that concerns me about Drouin is his size. If he doesn't beef up it will be tough at a higher level. Those hands though.... he can stick handle in a phone booth.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:01 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Based on what I've seen this year, there's not a chance that I'd draft Nate first overall. I like Barkov, Jones, Lindholm and even Drouin better. I do, however, think that Mack is one of the safer picks, in that he will surely be a tenacious, well-rounded goal scorer in the NHL. I just don't see him as an elite player at all really...

Barkov blew my mind when I finally got to see him play a full game. He will be REALLY good! Lindholm has "Foppa" written all over him, <3.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
The only thing that concerns me about Drouin is his size. If he doesn't beef up it will be tough at a higher level. Those hands though.... he can stick handle in a phone booth.
Keep in mind he doesn't turn 18 until late March. He could still grow in height and he'll most certainly add some muscle.

There have been a ton of smaller players who have succeeded and starred recently in the NHL.

HZ, how many times have you seen MacKinnon play this year?

Old
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Based on what I've seen this year, there's not a chance that I'd draft Nate first overall. I like Barkov, Jones, Lindholm and even Drouin better. I do, however, think that Mack is one of the safer picks, in that he will surely be a tenacious, well-rounded goal scorer in the NHL. I just don't see him as an elite player at all really...

Barkov blew my mind when I finally got to see him play a full game. He will be REALLY good! Lindholm has "Foppa" written all over him, <3.
Everything you said about Mack is exactly how I feel about Barkov and, conversely, I rank Mack, Drouin, Jones and Lindholm all ahead of Barkov.

I dont' see much Foppa in Lindholm either, to be honest. Forsberg could dominate a game on strength and physicality alone. Never seen that from Lindholm (although it's hard to watch much of his games beyond Youtube footage). He's much more of a Backstrom type to me.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He's average sized for an NHL skill player...5'11" 179lbs at 17...should fill out to 6' 195lbs. He is the same size as MacKinnon.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:09 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
HZ, how many times have you seen MacKinnon play this year?
I'd say maybe 10 times max?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Everything you said about Mack is exactly how I feel about Barkov and, conversely, I rank Mack, Drouin, Jones and Lindholm all ahead of Barkov.
I guess we disagree then. I see Mackinnon as a guy who relies mostly on his skills and will. Once he gets to a higher level, he won't be that much faster or stronger than everyone on the ice, his hockey I.Q. has got to be all-pro for him to put up all-pro numbers, and I just don't see it. From what I've seen, he just doesn't see the ice nearly as well as the other top forwards. He will score goals and be hell to play against but I just don't see "#1 overall" in him.

Barkov OTH, oh my! He has all the skills, incredible size/strength, but most importantly, his IQ is through the roof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I dont' see much Foppa in Lindholm either, to be honest. Forsberg could dominate a game on strength and physicality alone. Never seen that from Lindholm (although it's hard to watch much of his games beyond Youtube footage). He's much more of a Backstrom type to me.
Lindholm doesn't have that strength and physicality yet, but his play style reminds me much more of Foppa than Backstrom ever did. The way they hold the puck, the hop step and everything. Forsberg is probably my favorite player ever, so it's not like I take that comparison lightly either. I'm really impressed by the tape I've seen on Lindholm.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
JAVO16

Quote:

I guess we disagree then. I see Mackinnon as a guy who relies mostly on his skills and will. Once he gets to a higher level, he won't be that much faster or stronger than everyone on the ice, his hockey I.Q. has got to be all-pro for him to put up all-pro numbers, and I just don't see it. From what I've seen, he just doesn't see the ice nearly as well as the other top forwards. He will score goals and be hell to play against but I just don't see "#1 overall" in him.

Barkov OTH, oh my! He has all the skills, incredible size/strength, but most importantly, his IQ is through the roof!

Lindholm doesn't have that strength and physicality yet, but his play style reminds me much more of Foppa than Backstrom ever did. The way they hold the puck, the hop step and everything. Forsberg is probably my favorite player ever, so it's not like I take that comparison lightly either. I'm really impressed by the tape I've seen on Lindholm.
That's what I've seen from the few games I caught of him this year. He does so many little things that go unnoticed. It would impressive for a veteran, but in a 2nd year pro at such a young age, it's amazing.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:27 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's average sized for an NHL skill player...5'11" 179lbs at 17...should fill out to 6' 195lbs. He is the same size as MacKinnon.
Watching them play, I don't believe this. Mackinnon looks like a future power forward, Jarome Iginla in size/skating. Drouin is small, not tiny, but small. The combine will clear this up though.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
If Montreal gets the 1st overall pick,Seth Jones should be the Choice,hands down the Royal Flush of this draft.The Habs with Price,Subban,Beaulieu,Tinordi,Emelin and Jones in their defence,would make them a powerhouse for years.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:36 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If Montreal gets the 1st overall pick,Seth Jones should be the Choice,hands down the Royal Flush of this draft.The Habs with Price,Subban,Beaulieu,Tinordi,Emelin and Jones in their defence,would make them a powerhouse for years.
Yea, Drouin outplaying Mackinnon only really cements Jones as the #1. I can't feasibly see Drouin going that high.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Yea, Drouin outplaying Mackinnon only really cements Jones as the #1. I can't feasibly see Drouin going that high.
Jones will be the best Dman in the league,MacKinnon is like Darryl Sittler,Drouin has all the talent in the world how that translates in the NHL is my thing.On a line with Galchenyuk and Pacioretty he might be the best,hard to say.That's why we all watch the WJHC's for,to see how good they play with their peers.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Watching them play, I don't believe this. Mackinnon looks like a future power forward, Jarome Iginla in size/skating. Drouin is small, not tiny, but small. The combine will clear this up though.
MacKinnon is much faster than Iginla and nowere near as strong or physical at the same age.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Et le But

If we could get one of Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov or Lindholm it really wouldn't matter because all 5 of them are ridiculous.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If we could get one of Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov or Lindholm it really wouldn't matter because all 5 of them are ridiculous.
They will all be stars in the NHL,boatloads of talent between the Top Five in this draft.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You could even add Monahan on top of that. He was producing at almost the same clip as Galchenyuk before he got suspended while playing on an equally bad team. He also has a very well-rounded game.

Really, a top 6 pick this year would be just as good as a top 3 pick in most other years.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Habitant le colon

if we have a top 3 pick shall we trade Subban + 1st 2014 for another top 3 ( I know it's hypothetic ) I think that having Jones + Drouin (or Barkov) can be just completly amazing!

Old
12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
if we have a top 3 pick shall we trade Subban + 1st 2014 for another top 3 ( I know it's hypothetic ) I think that having Jones + Drouin (or Barkov) can be just completly amazing!
I'd definitely have to consider trading Subban for a top-3 pick, but not if we have to give our first from 2014. That's way too much/risky. I think that if Columbus is one of the lottery picks, the right package could definitely entice them to move it, considering they have 3 firsts this year, I think?! What a turnaround that franchise can make in this draft!

Old
12-27-2012, 03:51 PM
muzion

The problem with MacKinnon is he's prone to making game-changing mistakes since he tries to do too much, just look at his uneven performance at the Canada-Russia challenge... The coach doesn't trust him which is why he's been relegated to 4th line duties, while Drouin with his off-the-charts hockey sense is on the second line. Doesn't mean he won't be a better player in the NHL. He has plenty of time to correct these flaws in his game. That's what players of his ilk do.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Interesting, I guess you caught some games on streams?

I ask because I was thinking similar things as you after some mediocre performances by him that I saw on TV to start the season...but the last 2 times he was on TV before this tournament (1 in the Subway series and a game vs Gatineau right after), he was very good.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:

I agree, I saw Mac play once in drummond and there were a few flashes of what he can do but Barkov seems much more complete than Mac at this stage.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Why?

Haven't we learned yet that throwing a bunch of rookies into key positions of your lineup doesn't make you any good? Look at Edmonton FFS. Is an established, top pairing (or better), 23 year old defenseman not good enough?

Old
12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
As said before, Mac plays much much bigger than his size. Drouin plays like his size. Not saying that it wont get bigger but right now he plays like a small skilled player.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
As said before, Mac plays much much bigger than his size. Drouin plays like his size. Not saying that it wont get bigger but right now he plays like a small skilled player.
I have seen him play 12-15 times in the Q and he plays no bigger than he is.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:53 PM
NovaScotia Habsfan31

Quote:
I have seen him play 12-15 times in the Q and he plays no bigger than he is.
No you clearly havne't seen Nathan Mackinnon play that many times in the Q if you are saying that. Nathan has steamrolled guys on numerous occasions and this was even at 16. If anything he plays too physical at times IMO looking too much for contact.

You really have to stop embarrassing yourself with these comments about Mackinnon

Old
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Forgedias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
You could even add Monahan on top of that. He was producing at almost the same clip as Galchenyuk before he got suspended while playing on an equally bad team. He also has a very well-rounded game.

Really, a top 6 pick this year would be just as good as a top 3 pick in most other years.
Yeah I am hoping teams overlook Sean Monahan. Out of all the top centerman in this draft, I really hope this guy drops far enough for us to take him. 6'2" two way forward that does everything. Plays the PP/PK, does the dirty stuff in the middle and hangs tough in front of the opposition net. Guy is amazing and still produces tons of points on a very bad team. He's one of the 4 franchise centerman in this deep draft. Its an amazing draft, should be very intresting to see how Marc Bergevin drafts this year.

Closed Thread