HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Tournament Attendance

Old
12-27-2012, 10:03 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Dont forget this tournament is in Ufa, city of KHL club, so many people is simply not interested in tournament (except for Russian games) because they are watching way better hockey in KHL than this one.
I totally agree, and it's a great reason to never host this in Russia. Russians have better hockey to watch. I'm pretty sure the Finnish & Swedish leagues are better too. Really no reason to have it outside of Canada.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:12 AM
fredligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Well, they're going to play in Malmö. So it won't be stacked. Not even half-full.
Im going. The interest for the WJC has grown a lot in recent years but you can count on the arrangement will be screwed like the WC. Wrong city hosting and prices not matching what people want to pay for tickets -> Empty stance and hosts ask themselfs why people dont want to see hockey. They sohuld put the tournament in Stockholm Gothenburg or up north. Lower the prices for the less attractive games and voila there will be people on the games.

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissotti View Post
Have to agree with you.
I have always been amazed how this tournament gets raised so high in these forums. Floorball is nearing the amount of attendees of the tournament over here.
Actually floorball is quite good analogy to this tournament. I'm sure absolutely anybody knows about the sport outside of the couple of hot spots. The tournament is really just between Finland and Sweden every single year. Finals gather full 13 000 arenas.

But after all that trolling. I will say i personally quite enjoy the tournament.
Where is the floorball forum so I can post about how I don't care about floorball?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:41 AM
SurMartin

I thought we established last year that Canadians are very much not alone in caring about this tournament. Last year around 600k Swedes (about 8% of the population) watched the gold medal game in the middle of the night. Pretty sure a gold medal game at normal hours would get up to 2 million viewers now. Also, 10000 people showed up in Sthlm to celebrate the gold medalists even though a full round of SEL was being played at the same time.
The WJC has become a sort of happy holiday-tradition while the WC is more and more considered a B-tournament. Sure, casual viewers still watch the WC, but there's way more buzz and excitement around this tournament among hockeyfans.

Christer Englund, the President of the Swedish Ice Hockey Association and IIHF Council member said the WJC gold medal last year was his happiest gold medal-moment, even surpassing the olympic gold medal in Turin 2006.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

vCash: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Well, they're going to play in Malmö. So it won't be stacked. Not even half-full.
Whats it like in Malmo? I have been thinking of visiting Sweden for while now. I was figured can visit Sweden and watch hockey two birds one stone.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:07 PM
kedr

Send a message via ICQ to kedr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Russia is not yet at their Christmas vacation
Yes, the vacation starts at 30/Dec and lasts till 08/Jan.

kedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:17 PM
agent082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
Whats it like in Malmo? I have been thinking of visiting Sweden for while now. I was figured can visit Sweden and watch hockey two birds one stone.
Some swedish say it's like living in the Middle East. Lots of immigrants. Personally i haven't visited there.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurMartin View Post
I thought we established last year that Canadians are very much not alone in caring about this tournament. Last year around 600k Swedes (about 8% of the population) watched the gold medal game in the middle of the night. Pretty sure a gold medal game at normal hours would get up to 2 million viewers now. Also, 10000 people showed up in Sthlm to celebrate the gold medalists even though a full round of SEL was being played at the same time.
The WJC has become a sort of happy holiday-tradition while the WC is more and more considered a B-tournament. Sure, casual viewers still watch the WC, but there's way more buzz and excitement around this tournament among hockeyfans.

Christer Englund, the President of the Swedish Ice Hockey Association and IIHF Council member said the WJC gold medal last year was his happiest gold medal-moment, even surpassing the olympic gold medal in Turin 2006.

Right, but how much can be attributed to Sweden winning gold and/or being in the gold medal game?

Is it like Russia where nobody cares until "Russia wins gold" is in the papers. People then care for a day, then its forgotten again.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Right, but how much can be attributed to Sweden winning gold and/or being in the gold medal game?

Is it like Russia where nobody cares until "Russia wins gold" is in the papers. People then care for a day, then its forgotten again.
The tournament kicked off in popularity 07/08 when Sweden lost the gold medal game and has grown each year after that. Guess you could say that's what made people care at first, but they haven't stopped caring since.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
JimRaynor
Rookie User

any details on the attendance of the Slovak v. Russia game.
it looked like a packed house to me.

JimRaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurMartin View Post

A couple million Russians watched the WJC final too, that doesn't translate to attendances in a junior tournament it is not as popular as it would be in Canada or ever will be in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRaynor View Post
any details on the attendance of the Slovak v. Russia game.
it looked like a packed house to me.
6.5k If memory serves me right. The Canada game was sold out last week, not sure what the U.S game will get but it is on a Friday night so we should see close to a sell out.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Bumping this so the mods would merge the other thread with this one.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Trollbumping

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent082 View Post
Some swedish say it's like living in the Middle East. Lots of immigrants. Personally i haven't visited there.
Depends where you are. Some suburbs possibly, but when you're in the city it feels like any other decently sized european city.

I live 20 mins away, I'll go one or two of swedens games. Like others said, don't expect any people at non-sweden/denmark games.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
antidotevsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Switzerland puts Russia to shame: the Spengler Cup game between Canada and Mannheim was full of cheering fans. The Swiss have nearly 90 years of cup tourney fan support. The Russians have a lesser history and lesser apparent fan support for non-national teams it seems. Russia is like the USA of hockey. I get the impression that Sweden, Finland, Switzerland and to some extent my Canada have a lot of fans of the sport INDEPENDENT of the national team: a true sign of love of the sport imo.
where should we start laughing?

antidotevsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidotevsk View Post
where should we start laughing?
I guess we can start laughing when we compare the attendance for the Sweden-Switzerland games at both 2012 and 2013 WJHCs. I think it’s a good sample (at least to compare the general interest to hockey between Canada and Russia) as both Sweden and Switzerland weren’t host countries, played very good hockey, and were in the same groups two years in a row.

P.S.
Oh well. Both games were very close (went to a shootout)

2012 Attendance: 14,782
2013 Attendance: 2,359

Now you can start laughing.

Last edited by c9gunner: 12-30-2012 at 08:09 PM.
c9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote