HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2012, 02:42 PM
  #326
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 500
Signing Sheritt is obviously a sign of a green GM.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
  #327
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Looking forward to watching more JC... http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=411936
I'm really curious about the money.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 04:18 PM
  #328
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,210
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm really curious about the money.
I was thinking the same thing...I wonder if he gets Shaw money?

Interesting when the teams best defensive player would do well to get paid what the kicker gets paid.

guymez is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 09:57 PM
  #329
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,088
vCash: 500
Donovan Alexander signed a new deal as well. More good news

nabob is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
  #330
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
OK, we may be surprised at what players from this year's team are not invited back in '13. Hervey is saying that he wants his team to get really big so other teams are fearful of playing us. That philosophy is good to an extent, but size isn't all that matters; skill also does. I fear he may cut ties with one or two of our really good d-linemen for want of bigger guys.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 09:03 PM
  #331
esks123
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
It looks like Mike Reilly has some NFL interest from the Jags and has a workout scheduled for late next week. If he ends up sticking with them it could throw a wrench into our QB and free agency plans.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
#Jags asked #BCLions permission to work Reilly out. He's interested any serious nfl opportunities but #CFL free agency is still his priority

esks123 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 09:08 PM
  #332
esks123
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
OK, we may be surprised at what players from this year's team are not invited back in '13. Hervey is saying that he wants his team to get really big so other teams are fearful of playing us. That philosophy is good to an extent, but size isn't all that matters; skill also does. I fear he may cut ties with one or two of our really good d-linemen for want of bigger guys.
I can see us not bringing Julius Williams back. He's been a disappoint and injured a lot.

Getting Marcus Howard back is a long shot IMO, as I think he'll kick around in the NFL for at least a season (despite limited game footage due to injuries this past season).

I can't really see us dropping Laurent or Oramasionwu, but Reid and Legarre could be on the hot seat despite being NIs.

esks123 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
  #333
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
OK, we may be surprised at what players from this year's team are not invited back in '13. Hervey is saying that he wants his team to get really big so other teams are fearful of playing us. That philosophy is good to an extent, but size isn't all that matters; skill also does. I fear he may cut ties with one or two of our really good d-linemen for want of bigger guys.
Well JC is undersized and Ed brought him back so I'm sure that he knows size isnt all that matters.

nabob is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
  #334
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 53,624
vCash: 50
Tencer is just putting the boots to tilman

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 09:50 PM
  #335
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
It looks like Mike Reilly has some NFL interest from the Jags and has a workout scheduled for late next week. If he ends up sticking with them it could throw a wrench into our QB and free agency plans.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
#Jags asked #BCLions permission to work Reilly out. He's interested any serious nfl opportunities but #CFL free agency is still his priority
He won't. I also believe the Jags GM has said he plans to draft a QB in the next draft. Add in having Gabbert on the roster. And rumored interest in Tebow. If Reilly wants a shot, Jacksonville doesn't seem the best place for it.

I doubt he stays.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 02:46 AM
  #336
Schitzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
I don't really follow the movement between the CFL and NFL - after a player like Rashad Jeanty has his NFL shot, is it safe to say that it's awfully unlikely that he gets another chance in the NFL?

Schitzo is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 05:23 AM
  #337
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Well JC is undersized and Ed brought him back so I'm sure that he knows size isnt all that matters.
I didn't say that every player will be replaced by someone bigger, just that Hervey wants to get a lot bigger. He'll be going after bigger guys, is all.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
  #338
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Tencer is just putting the boots to tilman
Of course he would, just another in the long list of edmonton media that would blast anyone for ever taking a present member of the oilers or eskimos but are more than willing to jump all over guys after they have left as if they knew what they were talking about all along.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 12:24 PM
  #339
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Of course he would, just another in the long list of edmonton media that would blast anyone for ever taking a present member of the oilers or eskimos but are more than willing to jump all over guys after they have left as if they knew what they were talking about all along.
Yep. Tencer never said anything till he got fired.

flashy is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
  #340
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Yep. Tencer never said anything till he got fired.
tencer only grows balls once the guy he is slagging is out of town, its disgusting

jadeddog is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 12:57 PM
  #341
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 53,624
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Tencer is just putting the boots to tilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Of course he would, just another in the long list of edmonton media that would blast anyone for ever taking a present member of the oilers or eskimos but are more than willing to jump all over guys after they have left as if they knew what they were talking about all along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Yep. Tencer never said anything till he got fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
tencer only grows balls once the guy he is slagging is out of town, its disgusting
Not just Tencer, quiet a few Edmonton media put on the **** kickers when Tilman got fired. But this is part of the Edmonton media dynamics, they rarely go after the big bosses while they are active with the team Same goes with players as well, unless being proded by the GM.

I forget the oiler, but when he was an oiler the media loved him, but within 24 hours of him being traded he suddenly became a grouch, a bad teammate and a cancer in the room. He was a third liner as I recall. I remember one of the papers (Matty I think) explained that there were unwritten rules when it came to being negative to current players and management in one of his ask matty articles

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
12-29-2012, 01:17 PM
  #342
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Not just Tencer, quiet a few Edmonton media put on the **** kickers when Tilman got fired. But this is part of the Edmonton media dynamics, they rarely go after the big bosses while they are active with the team Same goes with players as well, unless being proded by the GM.

I forget the oiler, but when he was an oiler the media loved him, but within 24 hours of him being traded he suddenly became a grouch, a bad teammate and a cancer in the room. He was a third liner as I recall. I remember one of the papers (Matty I think) explained that there were unwritten rules when it came to being negative to current players and management in one of his ask matty articles
This is probably not the player you refer to but Glenn Anderson would be a textbook example of how local media are deserving of contempt.

Anderson recognized the species, the aholes, stayed as far away as possible from the media and rarely granted any interviews.

As a result he was continually slagged but never worse than after he was no longer here. I remember random Glenn Anderson flaming and drivebys happening regularly and most of the times that the glory years were rehashed. If you're a journalist here you despised Glenn Anderson. The fans never did. Journalists often even suggested that a player snubbing the media was not doing his duty to speaking to the fans and readers. But I don't think fans took it that way, only the media.

During Anderson's brief return here the local scribes were insufferable always bringing up that Anderson didn't want to be here, conflicts with Sather, with the Oilers, etc. A horrible time for all involved I'm sure. The media had the tar and pitchforks out. Anderson in a very brief moment seemingly bore the brunt of every player from the glory years that left here. A very sad few weeks.

ps you're correct on Matty as well. He's voiced "the rules" in print, book, and interview. Upon reading some of Matty's takes I have no further reason to read much of his innocuous filler.

Replacement is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 03:42 AM
  #343
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 53,624
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is probably not the player you refer to but Glenn Anderson would be a textbook example of how local media are deserving of contempt.

Anderson recognized the species, the aholes, stayed as far away as possible from the media and rarely granted any interviews.

As a result he was continually slagged but never worse than after he was no longer here. I remember random Glenn Anderson flaming and drivebys happening regularly and most of the times that the glory years were rehashed. If you're a journalist here you despised Glenn Anderson. The fans never did. Journalists often even suggested that a player snubbing the media was not doing his duty to speaking to the fans and readers. But I don't think fans took it that way, only the media.

During Anderson's brief return here the local scribes were insufferable always bringing up that Anderson didn't want to be here, conflicts with Sather, with the Oilers, etc. A horrible time for all involved I'm sure. The media had the tar and pitchforks out. Anderson in a very brief moment seemingly bore the brunt of every player from the glory years that left here. A very sad few weeks.

ps you're correct on Matty as well. He's voiced "the rules" in print, book, and interview. Upon reading some of Matty's takes I have no further reason to read much of his innocuous filler.
wirthout hijacking this thread--since we are talking about the media

The Grant Fuhr news story was not broken by the hockey writers (who later admitted they knew) but by news guys how had little or no interest in sports. They wrote a piece on just why they ran with the story. Sports guys who were approached told them not to do it

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
  #344
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
wirthout hijacking this thread--since we are talking about the media

The Grant Fuhr news story was not broken by the hockey writers (who later admitted they knew) but by news guys how had little or no interest in sports. They wrote a piece on just why they ran with the story. Sports guys who were approached told them not to do it
yeah local sports guys are in a tough place when people are here, we all know that, and i don't believe most people expect them to be *real* journalists... but then once the player leaves, at least TRY to maintain some dignity.... i don't mind them treating the players with kid gloves when they are here, i just don't like how the reporters do a 180 as soon as the player leaves town

jadeddog is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
  #345
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
@sportscage: Hamilton Spectator reports EDM Eskimos have approached George Cortez about joining their coaching staff

-Rod Pederson tweet

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
12-31-2012, 03:59 AM
  #346
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
@sportscage: Hamilton Spectator reports EDM Eskimos have approached George Cortez about joining their coaching staff

-Rod Pederson tweet
I assume we'll offer him a crapload of money to be the OC.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline  
Old
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM
  #347
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
@sportscage: Hamilton Spectator reports EDM Eskimos have approached George Cortez about joining their coaching staff

-Rod Pederson tweet
Would be a good OC hire for the eskies

timekeep is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:48 AM
  #348
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,570
vCash: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Not just Tencer, quiet a few Edmonton media put on the **** kickers when Tilman got fired. But this is part of the Edmonton media dynamics, they rarely go after the big bosses while they are active with the team Same goes with players as well, unless being proded by the GM.

I forget the oiler, but when he was an oiler the media loved him, but within 24 hours of him being traded he suddenly became a grouch, a bad teammate and a cancer in the room. He was a third liner as I recall. I remember one of the papers (Matty I think) explained that there were unwritten rules when it came to being negative to current players and management in one of his ask matty articles
Problem is you start being jackasses while the players/management are here, then it's only a matter of time before your career is done.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:50 AM
  #349
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,570
vCash: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
@sportscage: Hamilton Spectator reports EDM Eskimos have approached George Cortez about joining their coaching staff

-Rod Pederson tweet
Good news. Curious if he comes as apparently he still has a lot of money owed to him. A year away from the game might not be a bad idea for Cortez either.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
  #350
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Off topic but.... what the hell?



Quote:
The Edmonton Rush announced today that Ricky Ray, who led the TorontoArgos to 2012 Grey Cup victory, will be the honourary captain at the home opener on Jan 13th @ 2:00pm.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.