HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Signing Sheritt is obviously a sign of a green GM.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Looking forward to watching more JC... http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=411936
I'm really curious about the money.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:18 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm really curious about the money.
I was thinking the same thing...I wonder if he gets Shaw money?

Interesting when the teams best defensive player would do well to get paid what the kicker gets paid.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:57 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Donovan Alexander signed a new deal as well. More good news

Old
12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
MoneyGuy

OK, we may be surprised at what players from this year's team are not invited back in '13. Hervey is saying that he wants his team to get really big so other teams are fearful of playing us. That philosophy is good to an extent, but size isn't all that matters; skill also does. I fear he may cut ties with one or two of our really good d-linemen for want of bigger guys.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:03 PM
esks123

It looks like Mike Reilly has some NFL interest from the Jags and has a workout scheduled for late next week. If he ends up sticking with them it could throw a wrench into our QB and free agency plans.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
#Jags asked #BCLions permission to work Reilly out. He's interested any serious nfl opportunities but #CFL free agency is still his priority

Old
12-28-2012, 09:08 PM
esks123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
OK, we may be surprised at what players from this year's team are not invited back in '13. Hervey is saying that he wants his team to get really big so other teams are fearful of playing us. That philosophy is good to an extent, but size isn't all that matters; skill also does. I fear he may cut ties with one or two of our really good d-linemen for want of bigger guys.
I can see us not bringing Julius Williams back. He's been a disappoint and injured a lot.

Getting Marcus Howard back is a long shot IMO, as I think he'll kick around in the NFL for at least a season (despite limited game footage due to injuries this past season).

I can't really see us dropping Laurent or Oramasionwu, but Reid and Legarre could be on the hot seat despite being NIs.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Well JC is undersized and Ed brought him back so I'm sure that he knows size isnt all that matters.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Tencer is just putting the boots to tilman

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
12-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
It looks like Mike Reilly has some NFL interest from the Jags and has a workout scheduled for late next week. If he ends up sticking with them it could throw a wrench into our QB and free agency plans.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
#Jags asked #BCLions permission to work Reilly out. He's interested any serious nfl opportunities but #CFL free agency is still his priority
He won't. I also believe the Jags GM has said he plans to draft a QB in the next draft. Add in having Gabbert on the roster. And rumored interest in Tebow. If Reilly wants a shot, Jacksonville doesn't seem the best place for it.

I doubt he stays.

12-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Schitzo

I don't really follow the movement between the CFL and NFL - after a player like Rashad Jeanty has his NFL shot, is it safe to say that it's awfully unlikely that he gets another chance in the NFL?

Old
12-29-2012, 05:23 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Well JC is undersized and Ed brought him back so I'm sure that he knows size isnt all that matters.
I didn't say that every player will be replaced by someone bigger, just that Hervey wants to get a lot bigger. He'll be going after bigger guys, is all.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Of course he would, just another in the long list of edmonton media that would blast anyone for ever taking a present member of the oilers or eskimos but are more than willing to jump all over guys after they have left as if they knew what they were talking about all along.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:24 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Of course he would, just another in the long list of edmonton media that would blast anyone for ever taking a present member of the oilers or eskimos but are more than willing to jump all over guys after they have left as if they knew what they were talking about all along.
Yep. Tencer never said anything till he got fired.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
tencer only grows balls once the guy he is slagging is out of town, its disgusting

Old
12-29-2012, 12:57 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
tencer only grows balls once the guy he is slagging is out of town, its disgusting
Not just Tencer, quiet a few Edmonton media put on the **** kickers when Tilman got fired. But this is part of the Edmonton media dynamics, they rarely go after the big bosses while they are active with the team Same goes with players as well, unless being proded by the GM.

I forget the oiler, but when he was an oiler the media loved him, but within 24 hours of him being traded he suddenly became a grouch, a bad teammate and a cancer in the room. He was a third liner as I recall. I remember one of the papers (Matty I think) explained that there were unwritten rules when it came to being negative to current players and management in one of his ask matty articles

Old
12-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Not just Tencer, quiet a few Edmonton media put on the **** kickers when Tilman got fired. But this is part of the Edmonton media dynamics, they rarely go after the big bosses while they are active with the team Same goes with players as well, unless being proded by the GM.

I forget the oiler, but when he was an oiler the media loved him, but within 24 hours of him being traded he suddenly became a grouch, a bad teammate and a cancer in the room. He was a third liner as I recall. I remember one of the papers (Matty I think) explained that there were unwritten rules when it came to being negative to current players and management in one of his ask matty articles
This is probably not the player you refer to but Glenn Anderson would be a textbook example of how local media are deserving of contempt.

Anderson recognized the species, the aholes, stayed as far away as possible from the media and rarely granted any interviews.

As a result he was continually slagged but never worse than after he was no longer here. I remember random Glenn Anderson flaming and drivebys happening regularly and most of the times that the glory years were rehashed. If you're a journalist here you despised Glenn Anderson. The fans never did. Journalists often even suggested that a player snubbing the media was not doing his duty to speaking to the fans and readers. But I don't think fans took it that way, only the media.

During Anderson's brief return here the local scribes were insufferable always bringing up that Anderson didn't want to be here, conflicts with Sather, with the Oilers, etc. A horrible time for all involved I'm sure. The media had the tar and pitchforks out. Anderson in a very brief moment seemingly bore the brunt of every player from the glory years that left here. A very sad few weeks.

ps you're correct on Matty as well. He's voiced "the rules" in print, book, and interview. Upon reading some of Matty's takes I have no further reason to read much of his innocuous filler.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:42 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is probably not the player you refer to but Glenn Anderson would be a textbook example of how local media are deserving of contempt.

Anderson recognized the species, the aholes, stayed as far away as possible from the media and rarely granted any interviews.

As a result he was continually slagged but never worse than after he was no longer here. I remember random Glenn Anderson flaming and drivebys happening regularly and most of the times that the glory years were rehashed. If you're a journalist here you despised Glenn Anderson. The fans never did. Journalists often even suggested that a player snubbing the media was not doing his duty to speaking to the fans and readers. But I don't think fans took it that way, only the media.

During Anderson's brief return here the local scribes were insufferable always bringing up that Anderson didn't want to be here, conflicts with Sather, with the Oilers, etc. A horrible time for all involved I'm sure. The media had the tar and pitchforks out. Anderson in a very brief moment seemingly bore the brunt of every player from the glory years that left here. A very sad few weeks.

ps you're correct on Matty as well. He's voiced "the rules" in print, book, and interview. Upon reading some of Matty's takes I have no further reason to read much of his innocuous filler.
wirthout hijacking this thread--since we are talking about the media

The Grant Fuhr news story was not broken by the hockey writers (who later admitted they knew) but by news guys how had little or no interest in sports. They wrote a piece on just why they ran with the story. Sports guys who were approached told them not to do it

Old
12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
wirthout hijacking this thread--since we are talking about the media

The Grant Fuhr news story was not broken by the hockey writers (who later admitted they knew) but by news guys how had little or no interest in sports. They wrote a piece on just why they ran with the story. Sports guys who were approached told them not to do it
yeah local sports guys are in a tough place when people are here, we all know that, and i don't believe most people expect them to be *real* journalists... but then once the player leaves, at least TRY to maintain some dignity.... i don't mind them treating the players with kid gloves when they are here, i just don't like how the reporters do a 180 as soon as the player leaves town

Old
12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
MoneyGuy

@sportscage: Hamilton Spectator reports EDM Eskimos have approached George Cortez about joining their coaching staff

-Rod Pederson tweet

Old
12-31-2012, 03:59 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
@sportscage: Hamilton Spectator reports EDM Eskimos have approached George Cortez about joining their coaching staff

-Rod Pederson tweet
I assume we'll offer him a crapload of money to be the OC.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM
timekeep

Quote:

-Rod Pederson tweet
Would be a good OC hire for the eskies

Old
01-02-2013, 08:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 368
Quote:

Problem is you start being jackasses while the players/management are here, then it's only a matter of time before your career is done.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:50 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 368
Quote:

-Rod Pederson tweet
Good news. Curious if he comes as apparently he still has a lot of money owed to him. A year away from the game might not be a bad idea for Cortez either.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Off topic but.... what the hell?

Quote:
The Edmonton Rush announced today that Ricky Ray, who led the TorontoArgos to 2012 Grey Cup victory, will be the honourary captain at the home opener on Jan 13th @ 2:00pm.

Closed Thread