HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
12-23-2012, 12:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Got an A in my first ever masters course. Still waiting for my mark in my other course. Still need to choose a thesis advisor and topic. Ugh.
Congrats! Hate waiting for marks. I got 2 As so far but 3 other classes to go

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
5 classes in a semester...wow. I can't even imagine that anymore. I have 2 and I want to throw myself.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
5 classes in a semester...wow. I can't even imagine that anymore. I have 2 and I want to throw myself.
I did 18.5 credits in a semester in engineering once, no general electives. All Math, science and **** like that. Was brutal.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:38 PM
pine

A+, A, A, B-.

Waiting for one more. The worst of them all.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Adamcrazy3

Any JMSB student knows if ECON201 counts as a business elective or as an elective outside of JMSB?

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Garo

Quote:
Had three because I needed to do my last undergrad course... You can imagine how much I cared about that one

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:25 PM
gunners14henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Any JMSB student knows if ECON201 counts as a business elective or as an elective outside of JMSB?
elective outside of JMSB

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:15 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
outstanding.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:37 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Same boat, just done first year grad school and got my marks back so relieved

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 11:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
outstanding.
Not sure if sarcastic.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Forsead

I'm thinking about getting a master's degree in my field (civil engineering, structure as a specialization) and I'm wondering if I should ? is it worth it ? even doing it full time does it let time to work at the same time ?

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I'm thinking about getting a master's degree in my field (civil engineering, structure as a specialization) and I'm wondering if I should ? is it worth it ? even doing it full time does it let time to work at the same time ?
Depends on whether you want a thesis or non-thesis master's degree. A thesis MEng will not allow you to work at the same time, but I'm not sure as to whether non-thesis MEng programs will allow you to.

P.S.: I got into a thesis MEng (but that was really my backup in case I got shut out of physics graduate programs)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:44 PM
TheAntiPrice

Has anyone here ever taken math 200 in Concordia? I need to take this if I want to get into the psychology program.

I haven't done any math in years, I barely passed high school math with 60s, I'm not sure I even understood much past the arithmetic stages but somehow got through it.

Here's the course outline (this is for fall but the winter one shouldn't be too different):
http://www.mathstat.concordia.ca/doc...TH200_2_12.pdf

Is this doable if I brush up on my basic arithmetic in the next 2 weeks? Can I learn all this if I have NO knowledge of algebra to begin with?

Also, is this the equivalent of algebra I?

Yes, I do realize some of you engineering students are probably laughing at this right now, but some constructive comments would be very helpful before I dive myself deep into this.

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Has anyone here ever taken math 200 in Concordia? I need to take this if I want to get into the psychology program.

I haven't done any math in years, I barely passed high school math with 60s, I'm not sure I even understood much past the arithmetic stages but somehow got through it.

Here's the course outline (this is for fall but the winter one shouldn't be too different):
http://www.mathstat.concordia.ca/doc...TH200_2_12.pdf

Is this doable if I brush up on my basic arithmetic in the next 2 weeks? Can I learn all this if I have NO knowledge of algebra to begin with?

Also, is this the equivalent of algebra I?

Yes, I do realize some of you engineering students are probably laughing at this right now, but some constructive comments would be very helpful before I dive myself deep into this.
This is pretty much Math 436/514 or Math 536 in HS.

I know Math 202 is pre-cal. So I'd figure math 201 is 536 and 200 would be 436.

This is just a guess.

It isn't on this list:

http://independent.concordia.ca/cege...ivalencies.pdf

Thus, it is not a cegep course.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:58 PM
TheAntiPrice

Also, is there really much of a difference between majoring in Psychology vs majoring in Sociology? I personally find psyc infinitely more interesting, but I would have to stay in school for a year longer if I choose Psyc. I'm already almost done with all my electives and have a 3.7 gpa, I'll most likely give myself a better chance to maintain that gpa if I do sociology because a) no math or biology pre-requisites, and b) I think the teachers are more lenient and a bit easier because it's not as competitive as psychology.

Future options to consider: Law school, becoming a cop, graduate school (I find this is where psyc opens more doors, I could probably still get into a masters of social work program with a psyc degree, but I couldn't get into a psyc graduate school with a sociology degree, correct?)

Decisions, decisions...first thing first though, if I want to do psyc, I need to take that math class...Feasible to learn all that (in the syllabus post above) in the next 3-4 months with not a very strong foundation? Albeit, I was very good in arithmetic, just sorta fell off the horse once algebra came into the picture in high school.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:02 PM
TheAntiPrice

Quote:
This is pretty much Math 436/514 or Math 536 in HS.

I know Math 202 is pre-cal. So I'd figure math 201 is 536 and 200 would be 436.

This is just a guess.

It isn't on this list:

http://independent.concordia.ca/cege...ivalencies.pdf

Thus, it is not a cegep course.
Thanks, I never did math 436, I think it was math 416 in grade 10 and math 514 in grade 11 (Don't remember anything I learned though). I never did cegep so I don't think that prerequisite/waiver link concerns me.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Thanks, I never did math 436, I think it was math 416 in grade 10 and math 514 in grade 11 (Don't remember anything I learned though). I never did cegep so I don't think that prerequisite/waiver link concerns me.
If you have a hard time don't be shy of using the help available.

1) Office hours.
2) Some math departments run an all-work-day helpdesk.
3) Hire a tutor, the going rate is $25-$30/hour. A few hundred dollars sounds like a big deal, and it is, but so is the difference in your life going forward between an A- and a C+.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:56 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
If you have a hard time don't be shy of using the help available.

1) Office hours.
2) Some math departments run an all-work-day helpdesk.
3) Hire a tutor, the going rate is $25-$30/hour. A few hundred dollars sounds like a big deal, and it is, but so is the difference in your life going forward between an A- and a C+.
He can find a better rate for HS math.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:04 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
He can find a better rate for HS math.
I was tutoring in the period 2002-2007, approximately, and we were charging $20-$25/hour at the time, I added $5 as an inflation assumption.

I don't know of any of my friends who charged less for high school math. There's little difference in effort, you still need to displace yourself and help someone out for an hour. Tutoring HS math is actually harder than tutoring college math, because the concepts are more fundamental.

The only way to save money on tutoring is to charge a group rate somehow. For example, people might charge less if it's 2 hours in a row (which saves time), or if it's 6 people in the room they might charge like it's 3 people in the room.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Depends on whether you want a thesis or non-thesis master's degree. A thesis MEng will not allow you to work at the same time, but I'm not sure as to whether non-thesis MEng programs will allow you to.

P.S.: I got into a thesis MEng (but that was really my backup in case I got shut out of physics graduate programs)
I thought about a M.Sc. or M.Sc.A with a thesis and 15 credits of courses.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:04 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I was tutoring in the period 2002-2007, approximately, and we were charging $20-$25/hour at the time, I added $5 as an inflation assumption.

I don't know of any of my friends who charged less for high school math. There's little difference in effort, you still need to displace yourself and help someone out for an hour. Tutoring HS math is actually harder than tutoring college math, because the concepts are more fundamental.

The only way to save money on tutoring is to charge a group rate somehow. For example, people might charge less if it's 2 hours in a row (which saves time), or if it's 6 people in the room they might charge like it's 3 people in the room.
There's much better rates tbh. I'd feel guilty charging someone 30$ for university engineering courses. It's really too much. For HS you can get 15$ rather easily I bet as some as cegep students or new uni students.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:28 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
There's much better rates tbh. I'd feel guilty charging someone 30$ for university engineering courses. It's really too much. For HS you can get 15$ rather easily I bet as some as cegep students or new uni students.
Fair enough, maybe higher tuition has caused more people to look for secondary income. At the time I didn't know anybody who charged less than $20/hour.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Undergraduate education does matter since that's where graduate schools feed from. A reputable university should be able to do both at a decent level.

Quote:
Mathradio,

As some advice, if you're going into astronomy, you need to know some:

1) Statistics
2) Computer Science / Programming
I got CS covered into a numerical physics class; we learned stuff about things like chaos as well as numerical methods but applying that stuff was done in computer labs where we were expected to code and yield results from it.

Three of the eight graded labs pertained to astronomy:

- Lab #4 (actually the second graded lab; the first two were non-graded) pertained to planetary orbits in a single-star system with one planet and, later two planets initially placed very close together
- Lab #8 was about stellar radiance (and where we used Fourier series)
- The final project, which was an extension of lab #4, where you have to simulate a stellar system with not one but two and, ultimately, three planets, with a caveat on the planet at 1 AU, which has to be a super-Jupiter whose mass is 2% that of the Sun.

But is the statistics elective from CEGEP (a course that a CEGEP student can choose from a list that contains MV calculus and statistics) useful to do astronomy?

Last edited by Mathradio: 01-01-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:40 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Undergraduate education does matter since that's where graduate schools feed from. A reputable university should be able to do both at a decent level.

I got CS covered into a numerical physics class; we learned stuff about things like chaos as well as numerical methods but applying that stuff was done in computer labs where we were expected to code and yield results from it.

Three of the eight graded labs pertained to astronomy:

- Lab #4 (actually the second graded lab; the first two were non-graded) pertained to planetary orbits in a single-star system with one planet and, later two planets initially placed very close together
- Lab #8 was about stellar radiance (and where we used Fourier series)
- The final project, which was an extension of lab #4, where you have to simulate a stellar system with not one but two and, ultimately, three planets, with a caveat on the planet at 1 AU, which has to be a super-Jupiter whose mass is 2% that of the Sun.

But is the statistics elective from CEGEP (a course that a CEGEP student can choose from a list that contains MV calculus and statistics) useful to do astronomy?
I'm not sure what stats course you did, but presumably it covered the central limit theorem, means, standard deviations, linear least-squares-fitting, poisson distribution, chi-square test, et cetera so it should be useful.

Do you know what a markov chain monte carlo is? Probably not, it's very important and most undegrads don't learn it. However, if you've taken a good stats class you'll be able to pick up a book, understand, and implement the algorithm within a few days or weeks, which is perfectly adequate.

Do you know how to do multivariable least-squares? If not, with a good stats class you can figure it out within a few hours.

A good stats course sets you up to learn and to be able to learn what you need to figure out, and also to have good instincts. Do you get the idea of correlations? Correlations are very important, since most errors are correlated, i.e. if you overestimate a star's temperature, you'll probably be overestimating the metallicity as well.

What you need to know about computers is how to code, how to implement algorithms, and how to use other people's black-box software. Those labs sound pretty good actually.

Aside from all this you also need to know how to write. This was never a block for me, but it's a block for a lot of people I know, the block in fact that prevents them from succeeding. They do a lot of good work then when they need to write it up they might put together a few bad paragraphs in a day.

I presume this won't be an issue for you; you should consider this a major advantage.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
LyricalLyricist

Anyone ever do entrepreneurship type classes? Wondering if they are indeed useful towards providing insight on managing a business(administration wise).