Notices

No More Lockout Blues! - 2012 Lockout Part 2 [UPD: AGREEMENT REACHED!]

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 03:23 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Who knows how this will break but it would be pleasant if we go through a great WJC and then transition into a 1 week training camp and shortened regular season. if it rolls this way then really we are beginning our hockey season now (with the WJC)!!

Honestly what ever happens happens but on a cold Winnipeg day as the fantasy football season comes to an end one can extent a sliver of optimism that better days may be upon us.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:56 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Who knows how this will break but it would be pleasant if we go through a great WJC and then transition into a 1 week training camp and shortened regular season. if it rolls this way then really we are beginning our hockey season now (with the WJC)!!

Honestly what ever happens happens but on a cold Winnipeg day as the fantasy football season comes to an end one can extent a sliver of optimism that better days may be upon us.
http://www.quanthockey.com/Distribut...erLengthGP.php

I sure hope so. I'm feeling a little sad at this time of year for all the people who are casualties of this mess. The part-time employees and small businesses are suffering, for sure, but it's particularly poignant to consider a player like Machacek. This was quite possibly his only opportunity to play in the NHL, as he could easily be eclipsed by some young stud next year. As the article above shows, more than 20% play only one NHL year and almost half play 3 years or less.
IF Machacek has only one NHL year in him, then he has just lost 40% of his NHL games, 40% of his NHL income and maybe 15% of his lifetime earnings. If the entire season is lost, up that to 30% of his lifetime earnings. Gone forever. Don't think he doesn't know it and don't think he doesn't feel frustrated at the lack of influence that the silent majority of borderline players have in determining their fate. There are hundreds of them.
If Machacek seems to be playing with a little less zeal on The Rock this year, you can understand why.

Last edited by scelaton: 12-23-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

It was so nice watching the IceCaps play last friday on Sportsnet.

I need the NHL back!

Old
12-23-2012, 08:50 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
http://www.quanthockey.com/Distribut...erLengthGP.php

I sure hope so. I'm feeling a little sad at this time of year for all the people who are casualties of this mess. The part-time employees and small businesses are suffering, for sure, but it's particularly poignant to consider a player like Machacek. This was quite possibly his only opportunity to play in the NHL, as he could easily be eclipsed by some young stud next year. As the article above shows, more than 20% play only one NHL year and almost half play 3 years or less.
IF Machacek has only one NHL year in him, then he has just lost 40% of his NHL games, 40% of his NHL income and maybe 15% of his lifetime earnings. If the entire season is lost, up that to 30% of his lifetime earnings. Gone forever. Don't think he doesn't know it and don't think he doesn't feel frustrated at the lack of influence that the silent majority of borderline players have in determining their fate. There are hundreds of them.
If Machacek seems to be playing with a little less zeal on The Rock this year, you can understand why.
poignant post scelaton.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:16 PM
puck stoppa

Feck, do I ever miss hockey. Lets get a half season done, so at the very least I can see Nik Antropov in a Jets uniform at least one more time!

Old
12-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Feck, do I ever miss hockey. Lets get a half season done, so at the very least I can see Nik Antropov in a Jets uniform at least one more time!
NO doubt!! I love Frankenpov, and I have to say I was so stoked to see our 2 new beasts in action. Poni and Joki instantly make us bigger more skilled and harder to handle up front.

Depending on quality of netminding, I thought we had a playoff team this year, and want to see it play out.

12-24-2012, 12:13 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
NO doubt!! I love Frankenpov, and I have to say I was so stoked to see our 2 new beasts in action. Poni and Joki instantly make us bigger more skilled and harder to handle up front.

Depending on quality of netminding, I thought we had a playoff team this year, and want to see it play out.
Yea this was the part I was (am) most looking forward to. Who would (will) centre them.... Welly to reunite.....Burmi to develop and add sizzle.....or.... (if there were any injuries) my dark horse Patrice Cormier, how imposing and hard to play against would Poni Cormier Antro be?

Old
12-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Merry Christmas, NHL lockout.

Looking forward to Jays spring training.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

with the WJC (and Spangler cup) we all get to take a break from the mind numbing lockout and replace it will real hockey!!!!!!!

Is anyone else as thrilled as I am "TO IGNORE" the group of humans on both sides of the lock out with the big floppy shoes and the red ball on all their noses!

Nice little one fingered salute to the NHL and the NHLPA as I have another hockey option for a window of time

Old
12-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
with the WJC (and Spangler cup) we all get to take a break from the mind numbing lockout and replace it will real hockey!!!!!!!

Is anyone else as thrilled as I am "TO IGNORE" the group of humans on both sides of the lock out with the big floppy shoes and the red ball on all their noses!

Nice little one fingered salute to the NHL and the NHLPA as I have another hockey option for a window of time
Agree ps241. In fact, once the WJC is over, NFL playoffs should keep me busy until spring training and then March Madness, then MLB season, then CFL season... I'm good until next October.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:01 PM
sully1410

I hear the players have stopped negotiating during the WJC. They didn't want to take any attention away from the hockey....

Old
12-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I hear the players have stopped negotiating during the WJC. They didn't want to take any attention away from the hockey....
Well if you believe Don Fehr, they will meet anytime, anywhere and its the NHL that isn't negotiating. I don't think either side is too concerned to negotiate at the moment. Hopefully that changes.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:23 AM
WaveRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Well if you believe Don Fehr, they will meet anytime, anywhere and its the NHL that isn't negotiating. I don't think either side is too concerned to negotiate at the moment. Hopefully that changes.
But I thought they have no interest in having the union represent them they overwhelmingly voted for that.

So which is it ? I am confused so is the the 5 million dollar man in the Press today he wants the union that they don't want to represent them to bragian with the NHL.

If I was the NHL I'd totally call this bluff and set a Jan 3 meeting date one day after the PA DOI Jan 2 deadline. No way a judge can't see this for what it is, a sham.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:04 AM
SensibleGuy

NHL has made a move. They've moved on contract length, variance and the $300 mil make whole is still in. Hopefully they are sticking with a 10 year term. If this doesn't bring an end to this mess I don't know what will...

Old
12-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
NHL has made a move. They've moved on contract length, variance and the $300 mil make whole is still in. Hopefully they are sticking with a 10 year term. If this doesn't bring an end to this mess I don't know what will...
So I'm hearing max 6 year contracts (7 for your current team). 10% variance.

So you could have a contract structured like this:

Year 1: $10,000,000
Year 2: $9,000,000
Year 3: $8,100,000
Year 4: $7,290,000
Year 5: $6,561,000
Year 6: $5,904,900
Year 7: $5,314,410

6 Year Total of $46.85 million and a Cap Hit of $7.8 million
7 Year Total of $52.2 Cap Hit $7.45 million

If you apply this to Parise/Suter's contracts, you end up with 6 year/$62 million deals with cap hits of $10.3 million (instead of 13 year/$98 million deals with cap hits of $7.5 million). The 6/$62 million deals pay the same amount over the first 6 years of the deal as the 13 year deals they signed last summer. But at a huge cap hit premium. No way the Wild (or anyone else) is going to be able to make both those deals - even 1 guy with a cap hit of $10 MM is almost 16% of a $63 MM salary cap ceiling.

So this takes quite a bit of value out of elite player contracts. Will the players go for that?

Old
12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Doesn't seem like it:

Kypreos

Quote:
Good sign #NHL owners aren't willing to burn season but latest offer not close 2 getting deal done. #NHLPA counter offer already in works
https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/284703092266631168

Old
12-28-2012, 12:25 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Well all I can say is they better put a transparent offer on the table for once. No more gimmicks and hidden clauses. But knowing Fehr that might be too much to ask for.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
so according to Fehr, they almost had the deal done a few weeks back, and now the NHL has moved, but we're "not close" now. This is BS. Sign the frikkin paper and lets get on with it.

Kypreos's sentiment sounds like a good sign to me that the players ARE willing to burn the season...

Old
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

So, who's calling the first GDT?

Old
12-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Just read the TSN breakdown of the latest offer...the PA has to be retarded not to take this. Some absolutely KEY issues the NHL game way on, then stayed at 300 million for Make Whole. First time an offer has really been like, yeah, this should easily get it done.

Quote:
- Money paid (above a defined threshold) to Players on NHL SPCs in another professional league (e.g., the AHL or a European league) will be charged against the NHL team's Cap, but not against the Players' Share
Quote:
- New Player Discipline procedures and protocol incorporating Player appeal rights to a neutral third-party arbitrator for both on-ice and off-ice discipline.
-
Quote:
Maximum contract length of 6 years subject to a Club's ability to re-sign its own Player for a term of up to 7 years (provided the Player played his last full season with the re-signing Club). In addition, year-to-year Salary variability will be limited (up or down) to no more than 10% of the value of the first year of a multi-year SPC
Quote:
- $300 million in "Make-Whole" payments (outside the system) to compensate Players for the reduced value of Player contracts in the early years of the new CBA.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412383

Old
12-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Twitter seems eerily quiet.

Quieter than it should be.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Just read the TSN breakdown of the latest offer...the PA has to be retarded not to take this. Some absolutely KEY issues the NHL game way on, then stayed at 300 million for Make Whole. First time an offer has really been like, yeah, this should easily get it done.

Quote:
Maximum contract length of 6 years subject to a Club's ability to re-sign its own Player for a term of up to 7 years (provided the Player played his last full season with the re-signing Club). In addition, year-to-year Salary variability will be limited (up or down) to no more than 10% of the value of the first year of a multi-year SPC

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412383
Ah, so I was wrong about the 10% variability. It's tied to the first year of the deal...

So if year 1 is $10 MM, no year can be more than $11 MM or less than $9 MM. Quite restrictive...but the Jets structured their most recent long-term deals without any variability: Kane, 6 years @ $5.25 MM each; Enstrom, 6 years @ $5.75 MM each; Pavelec, 5 years @ $3.9 MM each.

Also of note in the NHL's offer:
Quote:
Clubs can operate with an effective Upper Limit of $70.2 million in 2012/13; must come into compliance with $60 million Upper Limit for the start of the 2013/14 season.
The Jets have about $33.2 million in cap payroll committed to 2013/14. But there's a long, long list of RFAs and UFAs to sign (RFA: Wheeler, Bogosian, Little, Burmistrov, Machacek, Cormier, Postma, Redmond, Pasquale, Macenauer, Gregoire, etc.; UFA: Antro, Poni, Welly, Mittens, Hainsey, Clitsome, Dekanich, Montoya, Meech, etc.). So there's $26.8 million in cap space to sign all those guys (or their replacements) - an average annual salary of $1,340,000 each. If you give Wheeler and Bogo $5 MM each, Little $3 MM and Burmi $2.5 MM...that leaves the team with $11.3 MM to sign 9 more players.

Boston has $2.9 million uncommitted and no goalies signed for 2013/14 (unless Malcom Subban is going to start). Vancouver's got $4.6 million available and only 7 forwards and 4 defensemen under contract. They should be moving Luongo though - that opens up another $5.5 MM (but what salary is coming back? unless they trade for picks). Philly has $2.5 million available, but their important players are signed (and Pronger will be on the long term IR).

It's going to be interesting to see how everyone manages their payrolls.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:23 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 481
So Lawless just threw out on the H & L show that there could possible be a 1 year conference change between Winnipeg and Columbus for this season if there is a settlement, before a full realignment next season.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:47 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Brooks threw the conference change out there, that has been shot down by many others

So in other words, status quo

Old
12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
So Lawless just threw out on the H & L show that there could possible be a 1 year conference change between Winnipeg and Columbus for this season if there is a settlement, before a full realignment next season.

I thought the Wings were in line for re-alignment, no?

Closed Thread