HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marian Gaborik

Old
12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
And the perpetuating cycle continues....

A:"We need a big time goal scorer"
B: We bring in Marian Gaborik who lights up the league and finishes top 4 in goal scoring.
C: Lets trade Gaborik for mediocre players/prospects
D:"We need a big time goal scorer"
Except, the Rangers got Nash so they should have D already covered.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:34 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
The Rangers are smack in the middle in payroll right now. If we need to move players to get under the cap, there's a problem. It won't be possible for all the teams to get under the cap if those conditions apply. The NHL will be flexible (at least more so than it currently is) in terms of transition.
From what's been reported in several different articles including the one I posted, the flexibilty would be allowing teams to spend up to $70m in 2012-2013, then get down to that $60m cap ceiling between the end of the 2012-2013 season and the start of the 2013-2014 season.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...a-new-CBA.html

Brooks also reported the league intends, for book-keeping purposes, to maintain the salary cap ceiling for this season at $70.2 million, dropping to $60 million for 2013-14.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:43 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
From what's been reported in several different articles including the one I posted, the flexibilty would be allowing teams to spend up to $70m in 2012-2013, then get down to that $60m cap ceiling between the end of the 2012-2013 season and the start of the 2013-2014 season.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...a-new-CBA.html

Brooks also reported the league intends, for book-keeping purposes, to maintain the salary cap ceiling for this season at $70.2 million, dropping to $60 million for 2013-14.
Yeah, that's exactly what's been offered so far. I feel like that's an unrealistic goal, as that would require pretty much every team above the cap to trade away to floor teams and then everyone would be at ~60 mil the next season. Which won't happen.

They'll bend more.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what's been offered so far. I feel like that's an unrealistic goal, as that would require pretty much every team above the cap to trade away to floor teams and then everyone would be at ~60 mil the next season. Which won't happen.

They'll bend more.
We'll see. I think the 'bending' is telling teams that they can spend up to $70m this season.

There are quite a few quality players, scheduled to become ufas this summer, which would lower team payrolls. So, I disagree that getting teams to a $60m cap for the 2013-2014 season is unrealistic.

Let's take Vancouver for example. Their 2012-2013 payroll is at $69m+. They have slightly over $60m tied up in payroll for 2013-2014, but some decisions to make. Replace ufas Malholtra($2.5m) and Raymond($2.2m) with much cheaper rookies?

Move Ballard($4.2m), so they can extend ufa Edler($3.2m) ?
Or move Luongo's $5.5m contract in a salary dump?

http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/

Old
12-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
NYR and Minnesota might make good trade partners. The Rangers may consider moving Gaborik based on the cap, and that I personally don't think Tortorella is enamored with him. Minnesota has some top notch prospects that they might be willing to move in order to add a front line winger to go for it with the arrival of Parise and Suter. They could also afford to move some of these prospects considering their organizational strength. I think it's safe to assume that Granlund and Brodin are off the table, but I'd love to get my hands on Croyle and Larsson. Dumba is also an option, but he scares me a little bit. I'm going to shy away from any proposals at this time though: they seldom end well.
I'm just not sure Gaborik would waive for Minnesota. Even if he did, what if he pulled, well, a Gaborik? Get injured through the deadline, leave on July 1st? And really, I don't know what Minnesota has that would fill a Rangers' need. Clutterbuck would fit great in our system, but we have enough of his type. Sather wouldn't be looking for prospects either, at least if we haven't won our Cup yet. NYR and Minny aren't great trading partners.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

I don't understand how time and time again people doubt Glen Sather's trading ability. Every year he proves people wrong. If he wants to move a 40 goal scorer, he'll get what he wants. He'd be the best trade asset he's had to work with.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:09 AM
DM23BK30

I would love nothing more than to have Gaborik healthy for his walk year.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:38 AM
CREW99AW

With the news that Bettman's new offer, called for a one time amnesty buyout,
a NYR fan asked if I changed my opinion about what type of return Gaborik would bring.

I still think the highest return would come at the trade deadline, when gms are more likely to get into bidding wars over a limited number of players and overpay.

What deep pocketed teams would buyout their own high priced player to fit in Gaborik's $7.5m salary and give up the big trade chips to land Gaborik?

Sabres? They could afford it. Is tying up $14.6m on two non-physical wingers wise, when they want to get bigger and grittier?

Pens? Yeah. I could see the Pens deciding they are close enough to winning it all, deciding to roll the dice on a 1 yr gamble.

Washington? Yes, they are a good possibilty because Riberios $5m salary will be off the books after July 2013.

Vancouver? They're aim will be re-signing Edler +finding a good deal for Loungo.
The Flyers buy out Bryz to fit in Gaborik's salary?

Calgary, with a weak ufa pool, giving up young trade chips and letting Ignila's $7m salary go to afford Gaborik?

Nashville? I don't see anyone being bought out in Nashville.

Chicago? Isn't goalie and 2nd line center a bigger need?
Toronto? They've got the deep pockets but #1 goalie and 1st line center are bigger priorities.

SJ? Weak prospect pool.