HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Poor man's Rupp folks, you heard it here first. He's going to be a career 8pt scrub on the 4th line...bravo

Old
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Poor man's Rupp folks, you heard it here first. He's going to be a career 8pt scrub on the 4th line...bravo
Seriously . A poor man's Mike Rupp, I've now heard it all.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I think a poor man's Mike Rupp would essentially be an AHL lifer. Difficult to be that poor a player and stay in the NHL.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:39 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Do people have any patience at all anymore? Christ, the kid was just drafted. Let him develop..

He got cut from the team, it happens. There's a lot to like about his game but he has things he needs to improve on like his stride and discipline. Calling him a "poor man's mike rupp" at this stage in his development is the definition of stupid.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:30 PM
apice3*

I can't wait for Lou to exploit the new CBA and end up not forfeiting a draft pick.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Nah, we`ll just win the lottery and grab MacKinnon. Will be a nice compensation for that 30th pick in 2014.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Syzlak View Post
Man, some of you guys are unbelievable. Apparently it's sacrilegious to say anything remotely bad about a Devils prospect around here? The news that Matteau got cut merely made me remember about how much of a waste that pick was. But I guess since the draft was months ago, it isn't enough to warrant a discussion about the pick? And that also somehow led to someone trying to make it out about how other players have been cut over the years for that tournament? Are you only allowed to discuss certain things at certain times around this place?

I said that I never liked the pick of Matteau in the first place, wasn't surprised that he got cut from Team USA and don't think he'll turn in to a good NHLer and I guess I should be burned at the stake for saying or thinking such ludicrous things? And he's not a poor man's Mike Rupp because he got cut. He's a poor man's Mike Rupp because that's what he is.
How can you pass judgement on a player six months after he was drafted? It's ludicrous.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
How can you pass judgement on a player six months after he was drafted? It's ludicrous.
If there was anything this malcontents of the fanbase needed, it was another whipping boy.
Kovalchuk is old news and Tedenby's days are numbered, Matteau is the new hot topic to **** on at every available opportunity.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I'm not even going to get into the Rupp comparison because that might actually give me an aneurism.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:39 AM
CerebralGenesis

My biggest problem is just the fact that we have to forfeit a pick coming up and were picking at 29 this year. Outside of going to the finals again in a year or two, it was a great time to shell it out. You never know how far you can run in the playoffs and it doesn't appear to be a great gamble right now.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Scottyk9
Blackhawks bandwagon

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
My biggest problem is just the fact that we have to forfeit a pick coming up and were picking at 29 this year. Outside of going to the finals again in a year or two, it was a great time to shell it out. You never know how far you can run in the playoffs and it doesn't appear to be a great gamble right now.
Let's see what the end game in all this is we don't know what Lou is planning.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Devils1029

Matteau's skills on this team are somewhat redundant with Biggs playing more of a role and being older and a bit more polished. I agree that I don;t think he got much of a chance but I think the two things that got him bounced was certainly his skating and also his tendency to take bad calls. The refs were calling the games tight which, when he go this 10 minute call, opened some eyes to that possibility of him hurting the team with those types of plays.

Boucher's skating isn't great either and likely what kept him off the team and this is a team in need of offense so understandable why Matteau's skating probably hurt his chances. Look at Brady Skjei, he's an excellent skater but for some reason also was dropped.

Housley is obviously channeling his inner Herb Brooks and isn;t looking for the "best" players, only the "right" players....(quote from Miracle).

Old
12-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Exactly, it's mind boggling how anyone can "grade" the pick yet.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
DevsFan30

Thursday's WJC Activity:

Blake Pietila - 2 assists, +3, 1 shot, won 2 of 5 draws in USA's 8-0 win vs. Germany

Old
12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
CerebralGenesis

Why can we grade good picks but the bad ones are too soon to say? I hate driving in snow

Old
12-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Jack Griffin

Quote:
Why can we grade good picks but the bad ones are too soon to say? I hate driving in snow
Because no one is saying Graham Black will be a poor man's Datsyuk

Old
12-27-2012, 03:51 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Was just about to post the exact same thing

If someone has a opinion about a prospect, why does it have to be "positive" all the time? If someone thinks Matteau is a bad pick, it's their opinion, let them talk about it instead of *****ing about it.

Matteau was a "ok" pick, especially at the #29 spot. What I still don't understand is that we most probably have to forfeit a pick in the next couple of years and there's no better pick to forfeit then the second to last pick, outside of the 30th overall pick.

I think Lou wanted to snatch one of Vasilevski or Subban and got caught with his pants down when both of them got selected by Tampa Bay and Boston, a couple of picks before us... so we went with the BPA and it happend to be Matteau. The odds of two netminders going in the 1st round was slim to none, Lou probably banked on that and got the short end of the stick.

Just my 2 cents and I can be way out in left field on this one. Just seems weird to keep the second to last pick we Lou knew that one of our star players might bold via free agency, our HOF netminder is probably down to his last season and that the pick wasn't going to do us any good in the next 24 months.

Oh well, we have him now, so might as well wish him the best.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:37 PM
kiwidevil

According to TG, Merrill is back practicing.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Just my 2 cents and I can be way out in left field on this one. Just seems weird to keep the second to last pick we Lou knew that one of our star players might bold via free agency, our HOF netminder is probably down to his last season and that the pick wasn't going to do us any good in the next 24 months.
It seems likely the Devils are going to give up their 2014 pick, so I think you answer your own thought when saying "wasn't going to do us any good in the next 24 months".

This pick may be able to help the Devils in month 25, the pick the Devils will likely forfeit likely won't help the team until month 49. 2 years has a pretty big time value, most likely larger than picking 10 spots higher, as an example.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
It seems likely the Devils are going to give up their 2014 pick, so I think you answer your own thought when saying "wasn't going to do us any good in the next 24 months".

This pick may be able to help the Devils in month 25, the pick the Devils will likely forfeit likely won't help the team until month 49. 2 years has a pretty big time value, most likely larger than picking 10 spots higher, as an example.
You did the math and you did it right. I say bravo, this guy gets it.

Whether people agree with Lou`s thought process or not, there`s logic behind it. Some claim otherwise and I`m not really sure why. Maybe they want to see something that isn`t there, if you know what I mean. Some have never seemed to get that logic, not even after a bunch of us put it into perspective. Guess they will always keep repeating the same thing instead of finally realizing the obvious.

Who will have the last laugh? That remains to be seen. I don`t know it, none of us does (some sure sound like they do lol). Who`s to tell which side is right. It`s too soon to tell. The fact is, writing some prospect off just based on... well, who the hell knows (it sure doesn`t look like it`s based on facts), is stupid.

Just as CJ pointed out, no one`s making the "good" picks (hey, they sure do look good now, but who knows what might happen in two years - one big difference - no one`s putting them in our lineup yet aka doing the exact opposite of writing someone off) look better than they actually look at the moment. If you don`t see the difference, you`re just looking for an argument to start another pointless debate. Fighting over peanuts. How HFish, indeed.

Can`t agree with you there, CG. Don`t play the old rattled man, it doesn`t suit you.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
That`s terrific news.

Could be cleared for full contact after Jan 2nd.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
CerebralGenesis

I get the kicking the can down the road logic. But I think it's short-sighted is all. You have a team with an owner that may not have money to field a team soon. You might not know what will happen but you are handling your risk like it's house money. Maybe Lou leaves and it is, who knows.

But 2 years off of a prospect is tremendous, yes. But I'll take a rookie you wanted in the 1st round instead of year 3 of Steve ott or whatever he turns into.

The pick isn't the issue. It's the risk you are giving yourself. Year 3 doesn't necessarily have to yield anything and now you have to lose a pick you have no control over.

They should have let lou pick all 4 years and then pick which prospect to put back into the draft or something. That would be a site.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
I get the kicking the can down the road logic. But I think it's short-sighted is all. You have a team with an owner that may not have money to field a team soon. You might not know what will happen but you are handling your risk like it's house money. Maybe Lou leaves and it is, who knows.

But 2 years off of a prospect is tremendous, yes. But I'll take a rookie you wanted in the 1st round instead of year 3 of Steve ott or whatever he turns into.

The pick isn't the issue. It's the risk you are giving yourself. Year 3 doesn't necessarily have to yield anything and now you have to lose a pick you have no control over.

They should have let lou pick all 4 years and then pick which prospect to put back into the draft or something. That would be a site.
But you know that the risk involved is debatable. Some claim that Matteau as a safer prospect and many tend to agree. Isn`t that what you want? At the time, there was no indication that Collberg, Aberg, Kerdiles, Sissons or whoever else would be better. Yes, Bozon shouldn`t have dropped that far, but still. Drafting is always a lottery.

But back to the point. Why are we even discussing this? Because some Canadian thinks Matteau will bust? After watching him produce in the Q? I just don`t get it. So yeah, **** that noise. If it was rational, I wouldn`t say a word, but it isn`t. It`s not like people were jumping on him for nothing. Everybody is entitled to his opinion, but for Christ`s sake, at least have a good reason.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Very good news. I hope he can get back to playing soon.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Very good news. I hope he can get back to playing soon.
Yes indeed, I wish him nothing but the best of luck, can't wait to see him in Red & Black sometime soon.

Closed Thread