HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 26 • Germany 3, Canada 9 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 01:39 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

vCash: 500
Anyone else here think that Spott is somewhat mismanaging this team?

Old
12-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Yeah. Murphy's ice time over Rielly is frustrating, as is having MacKinnon stuck as the 13th forward/fourth line center. I also wish he'd go with Binnington but I can't really complain about Subban's performance today. Spott's the first Team Canada coached I've doubted; hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:53 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Scheifele looked pretty good, but you can tell he's not comfortable on the wing. I'd rather he moved down to #2C and Rattie take his place on the top line. I feel like Rattie is one of the best players on the team but is being wasted on as a bottom six forward.

I don't get the reason behind splitting up Drouin and MacKinnon. Just like Strome and Ritchie were making things happen together because of their familiarity, you need to put linemates together.

Camara and McNeill (aside from his FO%) have done nothing to impress me.
I would also like to see Rattie on the first line

Old
12-27-2012, 10:48 AM
james30

Seriously! who would rattie replace on the first line?!

Old
12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
james30

And how is spott mismanaging this team? Canada has played one regulation game against a team that came up from the 2nd Division (last year Denmark struggled too)! And if you go back 10 years or whatever most teams that come up are not that strong! Spott is still trying to figure out line combinations, power play chemistry, and getting used to his players. McNeill just flew in. Still major jet lag. Understanding how he had one brain fart. The players are still getting used to the size of the ice (in Finland they played on a hybrid ice surface).

Old
12-27-2012, 11:11 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Its really ironic because the kids a genius off the ice. Didnt he have like a 99% average in high school.
Yes and he's won the Scholastic award or w/e its called in the OHL. Hard working and bright, but I think that because he has hit this high ceiling, its hard to progress when he is still in the OHL. And then you have this highly skilled, but bored/ uninspired play in the OHL. So now that the competition is more fierce in the WJC, I expect a lot of bad habits from Niagara to carry over. Hopefully Chara plays long enough to help him work out the kinks.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
james30

And here is what Mackinnon was quoted in the TSN article today:"Honestly, I feel like we played a fair amount yesterday," MacKinnon said. "We got the lead and we rolled for the most part so I can't complain about ice time."

Old
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerion View Post
Yeah. Murphy's ice time over Rielly is frustrating, as is having MacKinnon stuck as the 13th forward/fourth line center. I also wish he'd go with Binnington but I can't really complain about Subban's performance today. Spott's the first Team Canada coached I've doubted; hopefully he'll prove me wrong.
People kept repeating this but there's little substance to support it.

With Rielly versus Murphy ice time, Murphy was the better defensive player and beyond Rielly's early game efforts, Murphy did more offensively (Murphy was the 4th assist on a breakout pass later in the game as well as other efforts that resulted in goals, Rielly was the forgotten assist on the first goal).

On MacKinnon, if the entire team is generating offensive chances (Which they were), does MacKinnon need to play 20 minutes a game?

I don't know you doubt Spott but haven't doubted the last 2 coaches. Don Hay was a hardcore defensive coach whose efforts didn't work in the end. He favoured defensive play over skill and it didn't work out. Dave Cameron was an excellent defensive coach but he changed his style and it worked out horrible. Spott is playing his style, and as chemistry has come together it'll work. They got unlucky with defensive mistakes but overall they played good.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
What prediction ?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1311645

Read the poll results.
True, but the fact that that was even a poll question was pretty arrogant.

I am Canadian.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post

With Rielly versus Murphy ice time, Murphy was the better defensive player and beyond Rielly's early game efforts, Murphy did more offensively (Murphy was the 4th assist on a breakout pass later in the game as well as other efforts that resulted in goals, Rielly was the forgotten assist on the first goal).

On MacKinnon, if the entire team is generating offensive chances (Which they were), does MacKinnon need to play 20 minutes a game?

I don't know you doubt Spott but haven't doubted the last 2 coaches. Don Hay was a hardcore defensive coach whose efforts didn't work in the end. He favoured defensive play over skill and it didn't work out. Dave Cameron was an excellent defensive coach but he changed his style and it worked out horrible. Spott is playing his style, and as chemistry has come together it'll work. They got unlucky with defensive mistakes but overall they played good.
They had fairly similar games; the only difference being Murphy's OHL coach is also the Team Canada coach.

As for MacKinnon, I'm not demanding 20 minutes a game, but roughly 5 is pretty sparse. MacKinnon > MacNeill for starters.

I didn't doubt Don Hay because his defensive style suited the North American rink the tournament was hosted in. Same goes for Dave Cameron. I doubt Spott because he took a highly skilled team (which I agree with) but then seemingly doesn't use his assets to their best capabilities.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:48 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by james30 View Post
And how is spott mismanaging this team? Canada has played one regulation game against a team that came up from the 2nd Division (last year Denmark struggled too)! And if you go back 10 years or whatever most teams that come up are not that strong! Spott is still trying to figure out line combinations, power play chemistry, and getting used to his players. McNeill just flew in. Still major jet lag. Understanding how he had one brain fart. The players are still getting used to the size of the ice (in Finland they played on a hybrid ice surface).
I'm not talking about underperformance by players being the reason for mismanaging; that lies with the players themselves. I just don't like some of the decisions that he's made. I'm not sure his current lines fully maximize the potential of this team; both for even strength and on the PP.

Quote:

Is that you, Ryan Murphy's father? I have never seen a bigger fanboy in my life. You really need to get over the fact that Reilly is better than Murphy. Clearly Murphy has talent. He just makes poor decisions often which minimizes how good he could be. Unfortunately that is something that is hard to teach.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:51 PM
james30

What do you suggest for lines then?

I don't think Faidh (aka Prophet of Glennie) is Murphys's father or grandfather but just a superfan from Kitchener!

Old
12-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by james30 View Post
What do you suggest for lines then?

I don't think Faidh (aka Prophet of Glennie) is Murphys's father or grandfather but just a superfan from Kitchener!
Ha ha. I didn't realize they were the same poster. Faidh is Gaelic for Prophet though, so the odd username makes more sense to me now. Not sure what the rest of translation is though.

And though I don't fault him for being a superfan, he is quick to point out the errors in other defenseman, but can't see them in Murphy. For instance, Murphy's insistence on carrying the puck will cost us if he continues to turn it over at our blue line or the opposition's.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerion View Post
They had fairly similar games; the only difference being Murphy's OHL coach is also the Team Canada coach.

As for MacKinnon, I'm not demanding 20 minutes a game, but roughly 5 is pretty sparse. MacKinnon > MacNeill for starters.

I didn't doubt Don Hay because his defensive style suited the North American rink the tournament was hosted in. Same goes for Dave Cameron. I doubt Spott because he took a highly skilled team (which I agree with) but then seemingly doesn't use his assets to their best capabilities.
No they didn't. Rielly had his strong moments in the first 10 minutes, Murphy had his weak moments. Then it changed. Rielly was fairly weak at the end of the first, Murphy was fairly good. Murphy thus played a regular shift, generated offense, and when Rielly got his regular shift back in the third he had multiple turnovers in consecutive shifts.

MacKinnon only played 5 minutes in the second pre-tournement game. He played more than that, especially after McNeil was benched for awhile after that horrible tunrover. He's not going to get top 2 minutes, especially with the chemistry the top 2 lines. If Canada is scoring, who cares if MacKinnon isn't getting a tone of minutes?

The entire team is skilled, it's not as if MacKinnon is that much more skilled than the guys getting more ice time. It's not as if it's a guarentee this team is going to score more if MacKinnon is playing on the second lie with Drouin. Right now, Drouin has plenty of chemistry with Strome and Ritchie and is producing there.

If this team scores 2 or 3 goals against Slovakia, sure you might have a case but I have a feeling that even if this team continues to score, people are going to be mad that MacKinnon isn' playing top 6 minutes.

Quote:
Is that you, Ryan Murphy's father? I have never seen a bigger fanboy in my life. You really need to get over the fact that Reilly is better than Murphy. Clearly Murphy has talent. He just makes poor decisions often which minimizes how good he could be. Unfortunately that is something that is hard to teach.
Why should I bother replying to someone who starts off their reply like that? Your arguement has no value if you base if you base it on calling the other person bias and wrong, especially with nothing to back it up.

That seems about the only thing people can come back with. Come back with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Ha ha. I didn't realize they were the same poster. Faidh is Gaelic for Prophet though, so the odd username makes more sense to me now. Not sure what the rest of translation is though.

And though I don't fault him for being a superfan, he is quick to point out the errors in other defenseman, but can't see them in Murphy. For instance, Murphy's insistence on carrying the puck will cost us if he continues to turn it over at our blue line or the opposition's.
I have no need to point out his defiencies when other people make a habit of only pointing them out. If people weren't acting like the sky is falling everytime he makes a mistake, extrapolating one thing to his entire game I wouldn't feel the need to point it out.

Last edited by Faidh ar Rud Eigin: 12-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Christ

Quote:
I would have to say agree...I don't believe that Canada will win with him coaching. The team plays as individuals which is a coaching problem and the coach plays obvious favourites. Very sad that such a strong team is being run so poorly.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Nash

Quote:
I have no need to point out his defiencies when other people make a habit of only pointing them out. If people weren't acting like the sky is falling everytime he makes a mistake, extrapolating one thing to his entire game I wouldn't feel the need to point it out.
If you want to come across as unbiased, you would be able to point out both weaknesses and proficiencies. Otherwise you appear to be a fanboy whose prospect can do no wrong. No offense. You seem competent otherwise, but one sided commentary is giving you a bad reputation. Just my thoughts.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
If you want to come across as unbiased, you would be able to point out both weaknesses and proficiencies. Otherwise you appear to be a fanboy whose prospect can do no wrong. No offense. You seem competent otherwise, but one sided commentary is giving you a bad reputation. Just my thoughts.
And it's a pisspoor arguement if someone uses that. If you assume that someone thinks a player does no wrong because they've taken offense to someone who thinks a player can only do wrong, then that's the problem.

You see how it goes both ways? Most of the people I've replied to on this, say the latter. You think they come off as unbias?

Old
12-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Nash

Quote:
And it's a pisspoor arguement if someone uses that. If you assume that someone thinks a player does no wrong because they've taken offense to someone who thinks a player can only do wrong, then that's the problem.

You see how it goes both ways? Most of the people I've replied to on this, say the latter. You think they come off as unbias?
These threads are full of biased posters. Many posters only watch their prospects and complain about injustice against them, praise them exceedingly or attack their competitors. Why be one of that crowd though? You aren't doing a good job defending Murphy if your comments here only speak of his positives. Your credibility plummets each time you only stake one side of his play. Every player has weaknesses.

Closed Thread