HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 02:31 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

vCash: 500
Lol at all the Galchenyuk > Yakupov posts

Old
12-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Why did they have to do this again?
Cause they needed D like crazy yo.

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Whats the difference to a Sabres fan of him being on the habs vs the leafs? just curious.
He probably hates the Leafs more then he hates the Habs

Old
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Best prospect since Crosby??
That'd be Stamkos.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
No way, Stamkos, Tavares

Old
12-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Why did they have to do this again?
Because Ryan Murray was a safer bet and he had an incredible background of hockey: Ivan Hlinka, World U18, WJC, World Championships with the big boys, Captain of his bantam and major junior team. Howson didn't want to pass up on Murray with another player that had more risks. So he went with the logical choice of Murray.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:02 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Whats the difference to a Sabres fan of him being on the habs vs the leafs? just curious.
Leafs fans annoy me with filling our stadium with 50% leafs fans when they play us. I don't like the Leafs, I don't mind the Habs.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:17 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I had Rielly at 4 to the Isles before the draft. Still think they made a mistake taking Reinhart over Rielly. Rielly would look unreal with JT and El Nino on the PP in a year or 2.
As an Islanders fan I am happy with Reinhart. My feeling is it's much harder to get a big skilled defenseman, then an offensive defenseman(just look at the top scoring defensemen last year, only 2 were picked in the first round and one more was picked in the second round)

Maybe Reinhart won't end up being a consistent 40+ point guy but he will be on the ice alot killing penalties and the last minute of the game when we up a goal. Reinhart to me is a guy who will constantly be ignored on best of lists because his stats don't look so great and probably be ignored on those redo the draft lists as well till he is like in his mid 20s

Old
12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Funny right? No. It's just people's opinion. Some prefer Galchenyuk other Yakupov. Both bring different type of impact to the the game. Different styles. Both dominant, but one will have the better career...that would be Galchenyuk

I'm just kidding around. But yes, I prefer Galchenyuk.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:26 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Funny right? No. It's just people's opinion. Some prefer Galchenyuk other Yakupov. Both bring different type of impact to the the game. Different styles. Both dominant, but one will have the better career...that would be Galchenyuk

I'm just kidding around. But yes, I prefer Galchenyuk.
I heard some whisper that Galchenyuk will pull a Stefan Legein....

Old
12-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I heard some whisper that Galchenyuk will pull a Stefan Legein....
Oh helll no! You killed it!

Didn't Legein back in the game? Didn't retired.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Agreed. Wait until they're playing in the NHL at least.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:30 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I had Rielly at 4 to the Isles before the draft. Still think they made a mistake taking Reinhart over Rielly. Rielly would look unreal with JT and El Nino on the PP in a year or 2.
Guys like Reinhart are more valuable to a team than a guy like Rielly. If Reinhart becomes a 1st pairing stay at home defenseman that can make a good 1st pass out of the zone, the Isles got themselves a great pick.

Rielly might be flashier, put up better #'s and get more media attention but Reinhart is EXTREMELY solid.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:40 PM
ponder

He continues to remind me of Hossa. Really like his skating, puck handling, strength on the puck and shot. I think he's more of a natural scorer than a natural playmaker, I've never been overly impressed by his passing game, if he ends up at centre I see him being more in the goal scoring mold than the playmaking mold. Should be a very good player regardless of the position he plays, though.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
He continues to remind me of Hossa. Really like his skating, puck handling, strength on the puck and shot. I think he's more of a natural scorer than a natural playmaker, I've never been overly impressed by his passing game, if he ends up at centre I see him being more in the goal scoring mold than the playmaking mold. Should be a very good player regardless of the position he plays, though.
He has always reminded me of Marian Hossa. Since day 1. I don't see Kopitar or Toews in his game. I see Marian Hossa.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Andy

What the germans were thinking

Old
12-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Andy

Quote:
not even close. Crosby is a generational talent. Galchenyuk will be good, but no where near generational talent.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:50 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
He has always reminded me of Marian Hossa. Since day 1. I don't see Kopitar or Toews in his game. I see Marian Hossa.
Agreed, even the way they skate, move, handle the puck, shoot, etc. just looks so similar. It's one of the few comparisons where everything seems to line up, not just strengths, weaknesses, style, upside, etc., but even the aesthetics of their games. He really just looks like a teenage Hossa out there.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Quote:
lol at a few of the Oilers fans who act like it's completely impossible someone could be better than Yakupov out of this draft class.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
lol at a few of the Oilers fans who act like it's completely impossible someone could be better than Yakupov out of this draft class.
Its true.. When Galchenyuk missed the entire season it truly turned him into a huge wildcard. Yakupov seemed to outplay him in their rookie seasons but they were a dynamic duo that fed off each other. Yakupov then went on to put up points, proving he didnt need Galchenyuk to do it and that solidified him as the #1 prospect going into the draft meanwhile Gally was sitting on the sidelines and not being able to show if he was in the same class as Yak or not, and missed a whole year of development.

No way imo should of Gally have gone 3rd based on the circumstances surrounding him but I think teams fell in love with his attitude and adding that with the potential he showed made him worth the gamble to reach and take him in the top 3, if not the top 5.

And boy, so far the gamble looks to be paying off. I haven't seen too much of him, but the way he has come back and the way people have been saying he has been playing no doubt justifies that he should of been a top 3 pick and could of made a strong case for the #1 pick. The fact is we will never know because he was injured all year.

I think it's a real shame that we missed out on seeing Yak and Gally play together in there draft eligible years. That would of been a fun race to see two guys on the same team going at it for top spot and I couldn't imagine the numbers they would of put up if they were both healthy for the entire year.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Its true.. When Galchenyuk missed the entire season it truly turned him into a huge wildcard. Yakupov seemed to outplay him in their rookie seasons but they were a dynamic duo that fed off each other. Yakupov then went on to put up points, proving he didnt need Galchenyuk to do it and that solidified him as the #1 prospect going into the draft meanwhile Gally was sitting on the sidelines and not being able to show if he was in the same class as Yak or not, and missed a whole year of development.

No way imo should of Gally have gone 3rd based on the circumstances surrounding him but I think teams fell in love with his attitude and adding that with the potential he showed made him worth the gamble to reach and take him in the top 3, if not the top 5.

And boy, so far the gamble looks to be paying off. I haven't seen too much of him, but the way he has come back and the way people have been saying he has been playing no doubt justifies that he should of been a top 3 pick and could of made a strong case for the #1 pick. The fact is we will never know because he was injured all year.

I think it's a real shame that we missed out on seeing Yak and Gally play together in there draft eligible years. That would of been a fun race to see two guys on the same team going at it for top spot and I couldn't imagine the numbers they would of put up if they were both healthy for the entire year.
I do wish yak would play in Sarnia, they would absolutely be destroying the OHL right now.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:13 PM
SDig14

For me, it was pretty obvious Yakupov and Gally were both going to be players at the NHL level, and while they play different games I think both will be dynamic players at the next level.

People stating they prefer Galchenyuk is fine with me, the only thing that bugs is when a few people claim the Oilers should have drafted him #1 overall.

This kid was coming off a major injury and didn't play, there was still a lot of risk associated with the pick. You simply can't pass on a guy with 50 goal potential that is the consensus #1 to take a a risk on a guy like Galchenyuk.

If the Oilers had a pick at #2 or lower, I would have lives taking him though because we saw his rookie year in the OHL and while its still a risk taking him at least we wouldn't be leaving a potential elite talent on the board.

Galchenyuk might be a better fit for the Oilers, but I think both players will be very good for their NHL teams.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
For me, it was pretty obvious Yakupov and Gally were both going to be players at the NHL level, and while they play different games I think both will be dynamic players at the next level.

People stating they prefer Galchenyuk is fine with me, the only thing that bugs is when a few people claim the Oilers should have drafted him #1 overall.

This kid was coming off a major injury and didn't play, there was still a lot of risk associated with the pick. You simply can't pass on a guy with 50 goal potential that is the consensus #1 to take a a risk on a guy like Galchenyuk.

If the Oilers had a pick at #2 or lower, I would have lives taking him though because we saw his rookie year in the OHL and while its still a risk taking him at least we wouldn't be leaving a potential elite talent on the board.

Galchenyuk might be a better fit for the Oilers, but I think both players will be very good for their NHL teams.
Edmonton had to either trade down or take Yakupov or management would have been roasted by everyone.

In hindsight seeing the development of both players this season I take Galchenyuk over Yakupov for Edmonton and Montreal.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:29 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Edmonton had to either trade down or take Yakupov or management would have been roasted by everyone.

In hindsight seeing the development of both players this season I take Galchenyuk over Yakupov for Edmonton and Montreal.
Yakupov was a much safer pick at the time of the draft. Imagine that the Oilers drafted Galchenyuk and he never recovered from his knee injuries. Oilers' management will be toasted.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:03 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Nothing new but he's a real treat to watch in this game.

Closed Thread