HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2012, 10:40 AM
OpAck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Classy move by the Tigers to wear the names of the victims of the Sandy Hook tragedy on the back of their jerseys tomorrow as well as having special black jersey made for the occasion.
Exactly. Nice touch.

What I also thought was interesting...from SoundTigers.com:

Quote:
Additionally, the alternate black jerseys will no longer be worn by the Sound Tigers in honor of the lives lost.
Makes me wonder if they were looking for any excuse to dump the ugly black alternates...

Old
12-26-2012, 06:10 PM
InformTheMasses

Game being delayed tonight (expected to be about 15 minutes), Officials late getting to the game (bad weather in the Bridgeport Area). Game should start in about 5 minutes.

Tonights scratches: Jack Holmes, Calvin de Haan, Travis Hamonic, Sean Backman, Max Mackay, Jordan Hill, Brock Nelson, Kirill Kabanov

Starters:
G Kevin Poulion
D Ty Wishart
D Matt Donovan
C Casey Cizikas
LW John Persson
RW Colin McDonald

(UPS line looks to be getting broken up, as Persson has been moved up to the top line.

Old
12-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Nino makes it 1-0

EDIT: Nino makes it 2-0

Last edited by Isles Enforcer: 12-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 06:28 PM
InformTheMasses

Nino Strikes again..... 2-0 BPort. Hes on a line with Sundstrom and Ullstrom.... line is buzzing, really crashing the net. Both of Nino's goals were right on the doorstep.

EDIT:
Whale D is asleep. PP Goal.. tic-tac-toe....Cizikas...Persson... macDonald finishes it. 3-0 BPORT... Timeout WHALE

EDIT
Wow McIver just handed Michael Haley his lunch. Quick left hand. total mismatch.

Last edited by InformTheMasses: 12-26-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Colin McDonald 3-0

Old
12-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a stream for this one?

Old
12-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Isles Enforcer

Nino hurt..went to the room. Didnt see what happened.

Old
12-26-2012, 06:45 PM
InformTheMasses

There was a scrum in front (not sure how Ullstrom DID NOT Score on the play) Nino was in the pile.... announcer thinks he took a stick to the face.. no replay. I couldn't see it either.,

No stream that I know of... im watching AHL Live feed (paid for)

Old
12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope El Niño is ok. Thanks for updates guys. Was thinking of ordering on ahl live....can I still watch from beginning if I ordered now? Anyone know?

Old
12-26-2012, 06:50 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Warrior View Post
Hope El Niño is ok. Thanks for updates guys. Was thinking of ordering on ahl live....can I still watch from beginning if I ordered now? Anyone know?

I have the season feed, so i am able to watch games from last month (in their entirety) Not sure how the single game stuff works.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Isles Enforcer

Nino back on the bench to start the second.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:28 PM
InformTheMasses

Nino only took 1 shift (PP early in period). Has not returned since and is not playing on the latest Powerplay.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Isles Enforcer

4-0 Tigers Matt Watkins

Old
12-26-2012, 07:41 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
4-0 Tigers Matt Watkins
Ugly goal... great work by ullstrom and then sundstrom crashing the net... puck flips up and Watkins skates into the puck... looked to hit his leg and rolled in.

Either way... 4-0 SoundTigers

Old
12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
InformTheMasses

Bridgeport wins 5-2. I did not watch the third period, had to go out and shovel the driveway so I have a prayer of getting to work tomorrow. Can't wait to watch World Junior games tomorrow when I get to work (if I ever get to work).

Old
12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
redbull
Expect more

gotta be impressed with Niederreiter. He's putting up numbers at such a young age on a very young team that's essentially missing an all-star team of players!

deHaan, Hamonic, Nelson, Kabanov all out and have missed Cizikas and Ullstrom for parts of the season as well.

Tough circumstances and Nino's been able to continue his scoring pace, still among the AHL leaders and ahead of prized prospects: Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, Michael Granlund, Nazem Kadri, Jacob Silfverberg, Gustav Nyquist - even Taylor Hall is close to Nino's PPG production.

I truly hope Nino can get his game improved enough to make an impact at the NHL level, once there IS an "nhl level" again.

I think this Bridgeport team will be significantly improved once they get Nelson, Kabanov and Hamonic nack. With Cizikas and Ullstrom vastly improved of late, Persson and Sundstrom have excellent rookie seasons, this team could make some noise in the AHL!

They need a defenseman or two (bonus if deHaan could find his way back late in the season)

Nice to have some positive prospect news for a change (as per scott99's post in the prospect thread)!

Old
12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
gotta be impressed with Niederreiter. He's putting up numbers at such a young age on a very young team that's essentially missing an all-star team of players!

deHaan, Hamonic, Nelson, Kabanov all out and have missed Cizikas and Ullstrom for parts of the season as well.

Tough circumstances and Nino's been able to continue his scoring pace, still among the AHL leaders and ahead of prized prospects: Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, Michael Granlund, Nazem Kadri, Jacob Silfverberg, Gustav Nyquist - even Taylor Hall is close to Nino's PPG production.

I truly hope Nino can get his game improved enough to make an impact at the NHL level, once there IS an "nhl level" again.

I think this Bridgeport team will be significantly improved once they get Nelson, Kabanov and Hamonic nack. With Cizikas and Ullstrom vastly improved of late, Persson and Sundstrom have excellent rookie seasons, this team could make some noise in the AHL!

They need a defenseman or two (bonus if deHaan could find his way back late in the season)

Nice to have some positive prospect news for a change (as per scott99's post in the prospect thread)!
I agree with everything you said about Nino. I think people are under-enthused, due to last year's disaster, BUT, to see what he is doing, as a 20 YEAR OLD, in the second best league in North America is astounding. He's on pace for 35 goals. Add to the fact that he's a power forward, and they usually take time to progress, yet he's showing he's ahead of schedule. Add in the injuries the team has faced, and Nino truly is helping lead this team, another attribute he has always been known for. What I like about Nino also is, he's defensively aware, so he's an all around type of player as well. Nino wants to be great, he has similar determination to Tavares', so anyone doubting Nino might be in for a big surprise.

I personally think he is a more talented, bigger version of Okposo. Take that in for a second, Okposo has a 25 goal season under his belt. Therefore, seeing Nino score 30 goals on a regular basis in the NHL would not surprise me (as long as he is paired with Tavares/Strome or Nelson).

On a side note, you mentioned Sundstrom and Persson, it is so nice to see Sundstrom's offensive potential shine through. When the Isle's drafted him, I was saying to myself, WTF ? 1 goal all season and we spend a 2nd round pick on the guy ? Then I realized he was getting Nino'd in Sweden (virtually no playing time). I saw him play in last year's WJHC, and was very impressed with his overall game and ability. It's nice to see him make a quick adaptation to the North American game. He's been a very pelasant surprise offensively for Bridgeport. Just add another prospect to get excited about. Not leaving out Persson, I love his size (grit), and nose for the net, another interesting rookie to keep an eye on. Cizikas and Ullstrom also have wonderful potential as well. Cizikas has put up numbers from the minute he jumped from Juniors to the AHL, and Ullstrom has size, hands and great speed, a combo you don't see everyday. When the imjured guys come back, I expect Bridgeport to go on a tear.

Last edited by scott99: 12-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 02:02 PM
InformTheMasses

A Couple of things about the comments above. Yes Bridgeport will be greatly aided by the return of Nelson, Kabanov, and Hamonic. However, unless the defense improves GREATLY they can not be considered a threat to make noise in the playoffs. And When the AHL Playoffs roll around, I fully expect Hamonic to be on Long Island playing for the Islanders when the dispute comes to an end (and it will) and not in Bridgeport.

That Leaves Cantin, Wishart, Donovan, Ness, Landry, McIver and a few others. The Sound tigers are a dangerous team when they face a team that doesn't have defenceman that can skate and/or clear the puck. Their forecheck is really good and can take advantage of the oppositions lesser dman. Unfortunately, once the opposition gets to the neutral zone, it becomes a legitmate scoring chance against Bridgeport due to it's extremely weak defense. My hope is that by seasons end Kichton, Mayfield and Pedan all get signed and can begin play by AHL playoff time... of course that all depends on how long ach of their seasons last in Juniors and college.

As far as Nino goes, he is a BEAST in front of the net against AHL defenceman, some teams just do not have an answer for him or no way of neutralizing him there. I do not think he can have the same level of dominance or at least not with the same frequency against bigger stringer NHL defenceman. I'm not saying Nino is a bad player, but I think it's a legitimate point. Also Steve Stamkos scores at a ridiculous rate and it's only about 3% of the time he is on the ice. As far as Nino or any other hockey player is concerned, what do you do in the other 98% or 97& of the game? This is where other fans like myself want to see Nino take the next step. He has some of the tools, now i want to see him be a legitimate threat and create on his own and cause the opposition to focus on him in all 3 zones and open up ice for teammates. THAT is what I am looking for and wanting to see from Nino. But yes the goals are nice, and obviously want that to continue as well.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:09 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I agree with everything you said about Nino. I think people are under-enthused, due to last year's disaster, BUT, to see what he is doing, as a 20 YEAR OLD, in the second best league in North America is astounding. He's on pace for 35 goals. Add to the fact that he's a power forward, and they usually take time to progress, yet he's showing he's ahead of schedule. Add in the injuries the team has faced, and Nino truly is helping lead this team, another attribute he has always been known for. What I like about Nino also is, he's defensively aware, so he's an all around type of player as well. Nino wants to be great, he has similar determination to Tavares', so anyone doubting Nino might be in for a big surprise.

I personally think he is a more talented, bigger version of Okposo. Take that in for a second, Okposo has a 25 goal season under his belt. Therefore, seeing Nino score 30 goals on a regular basis in the NHL would not surprise me (as long as he is paired with Tavares/Strome or Nelson).

On a side note, you mentioned Sundstrom and Persson, it is so nice to see Sundstrom's offensive potential shine through. When the Isle's drafted him, I was saying to myself, WTF ? 1 goal all season and we spend a 2nd round pick on the guy ? Then I realized he was getting Nino'd in Sweden (virtually no playing time). I saw him play in last year's WJHC, and was very impressed with his overall game and ability. It's nice to see him make a quick adaptation to the North American game. He's been a very pelasant surprise offensively for Bridgeport. Just add another prospect to get excited about. Not leaving out Persson, I love his size (grit), and nose for the net, another interesting rookie to keep an eye on. Cizikas and Ullstrom also have wonderful potential as well. Cizikas has put up numbers from the minute he jumped from Juniors to the AHL, and Ullstrom has size, hands and great speed, a combo you don't see everyday. When the imjured guys come back, I expect Bridgeport to go on a tear.
Agreed. Really impressed with Nino. I knew the kid had character and was determined to somewhat quiet the critics this season, but I never expected him to play at a PPG pace this far into the season. Hopefully he's alright, didn't see the injury but I hope it is nothing serious.

As for Sundstrom, he's been a pleasant surprise. Having a guy like him just makes us that much deeper at the center position. Strome, Nelson, Sundstrom... on top of Tavares and Nielsen at the NHL level. Definitely a nice stockpile of talent at a very important position. I'm interested to see how the Isles take advantage of that next season/offseason.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:14 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Agreed. Really impressed with Nino. I knew the kid had character and was determined to somewhat quiet the critics this season, but I never expected him to play at a PPG pace this far into the season. Hopefully he's alright, didn't see the injury but I hope it is nothing serious.

As for Sundstrom, he's been a pleasant surprise. Having a guy like him just makes us that much deeper at the center position. Strome, Nelson, Sundstrom... on top of Tavares and Nielsen at the NHL level. Definitely a nice stockpile of talent at a very important position. I'm interested to see how the Isles take advantage of that next season/offseason.
The good part about our center stockpile, is that some of them have played wing (Nelson & Sundstrom), so that makes them that much more well rounded, and available to take faceoffs when our actual centers get kicked out of the faceoff circle. By the time we see Strome, Sundstrom, and Nelson full time, Nielsen might be on his way out, but who knows ?, maybe Nielsen plays into his 30's.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:03 PM
InformTheMasses

Tonights Scratches: Travis Hamonic, McIver, Calvin de Haan, sean backman, Nino Niederieter, Brock Nelson, Kiril Kabanov, Mike Halmo

Nino is Day to Day... Took a skate to the face last night in the scrum by the goal that I referred to last night.

SDtating tonight:

G Kevin Poulin
D Marc Cantin
D J Landry
C Cizikas
LW J.Persson
RW C.MacDonald

Michael Haley scratched tonight after the butt whopping he took from Haley last night.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:04 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
The good part about our center stockpile, is that some of them have played wing (Nelson & Sundstrom), so that makes them that much more well rounded, and available to take faceoffs when our actual centers get kicked out of the faceoff circle. By the time we see Strome, Sundstrom, and Nelson full time, Nielsen might be on his way out, but who knows ?, maybe Nielsen plays into his 30's.
I LOVE Sundstroms all around game. Good SPeed and hands for a big man, terrific forcheck, and excellent defense.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Isles Enforcer

Chad Costello (ECHL Call up) gets the first goal for BPT

Old
12-27-2012, 06:08 PM
InformTheMasses

1-0 Bridgeport less than 2 miutes in. Castello on a beautiful feed from Watkins. Ulstrom also with an assist.

Thats Ullstroms 5th point in the last 62 minutes of play

EDIT:

FWIW Defazio is playing the other wing spot on the Sundstrom/Ullstrom line (taking Ninos spot)

Old
12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Isles Enforcer

Matt Donovan PPG makes it 2-0

Closed Thread