HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 15th: How's that dream job now, Farrell?

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I might change my mind when I see them in person, which is often the case for uniforms and jerseys. As of right now though, it looks like a multi-colour maple leaf hipster hat.
I think the word 'hipster' is being used far too often nowadays.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Hey don't look at me. I think this is the first time I've used the term on an online forum. It was my first thought when trying to describe the hat. Anyways I'll withhold anymore judgement until I see one in person. It is just a batting practice hat afterall.

Someone in the MLB forum had a good point about it which is skewing my thought process slightly. While it may not seem to have any connection to the Bluejays on it, it has the potential to just be a solid "anywhere" hat. Would have liked to see some evidence of the bluejay on it though.

Last edited by TootooTrain: 12-27-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I might change my mind when I see them in person, which is often the case for uniforms and jerseys. As of right now though, it looks like a multi-colour maple leaf hipster hat.
I agree with this lol.

Also what the hell is up with the "screaming indian" that's just horrible for the braves! hahah!

12-27-2012, 08:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
It's not hipster-y enough to be a hipster hat. It would need plaid, pointless gold/silver highlights, to be a single solid color with no differentiation at all, or use colors not anywhere close to those of the actual team to be a proper hipster hat.

they should've made it up as a sort of hybrid faux retro version of the Delgado/Green era Jays logo instead.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I agree with this lol.

Also what the hell is up with the "screaming indian" that's just horrible for the braves! hahah!
Haha, no idea Rocket. It looks like someone's tattoo.

I don't want to come off as a negative nancy though, there are some gems. Oakland, Colorado, and Washington have great ones.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Shimso

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Ricky Romero ‏@RickyRo24
Did u guys see the new batting practice hats #Jays #MapleLeaf http://es.pn/RTWNS0 Idk about the B- grade.Damn right were Canada's only team

personally i'm not a fan of the new hat but nice to see ricky supporting it.
Its nice to see him backing it but, as patriotic and maple-syrup in my veins as I am, I'd have given it a worse mark than B-.

It looks like a dollar store design; there were so many other possibilities that could've been used: a blue jay starting from the base of the cap; a silhouette of the existing logo; the 1997 logo; a 2004+ logo with different colours (I know I'm in the very small minority that liked the design); and I actually really liked the bird with its wings open in this design: http://thestar.smgmedia.topscms.com/...e0ceabe01.jpeg

Old
12-27-2012, 08:21 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Ricky Romero ‏@RickyRo24
Did u guys see the new batting practice hats #Jays #MapleLeaf http://es.pn/RTWNS0 Idk about the B- grade.Damn right were Canada's only team

The new Astros BP cap looks great, IMO. It's hard to tell if the whole crown is orange (preferred) instead of just the front panel.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Ricky Romero ‏@RickyRo24

I like it. It's only for batting practice and a huge part of the marketing plan is to have all Canadians feel like this is their team. This hat will boost sales to non-baseball fans (because of the Maple Leaf) and will showcase them as Canada's team.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:29 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
It's not hipster-y enough to be a hipster hat. It would need plaid, pointless gold/silver highlights, to be a single solid color with no differentiation at all, or use colors not anywhere close to those of the actual team to be a proper hipster hat.
I knew it wasn't a "true" hipster hat when I noticed that there wasn't an Ipod jack on it somewhere.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

I'd like it more if the blue was darker.

I like it. Its nice and simple.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

I think the Nats have the best one.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Urban Explorer*

TBH I hate when any canadian team other than the maple leafs uses a maple leaf. It makes it seem like we have little brother syndrome. Hey look we're canadian! It's the Toronto blue Jays not the Canada Blue Jays. I realize it's the only MLB team in canada so I cut them some slack, but I cut no slack to the calgary flames or winnipeg jets who incorporate maple leafs into their unis.

You don't see American teams putting old glory on all their uniforms unless the team is named something patriotic like the Patriots or Blue Jackets.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:51 PM
TheTotalPackage

Watching the World Series repeat, it reaffirms my belief that the Dome is a great venue/atmosphere for baseball when full.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:54 PM
darko

Quote:
I think the Nats have the best one.

Yup. Also Giants one is pretty cool IMO.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

Canadians have an extreme sense of patriotism that is thrown upon them through media and marketing. It's not surprising, in the slightest, to see the Maple Leaf predicated everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
I think it makes us look silly. Just my opinion though.
I agree.

If you look past the Maple Leaf, you will also see: winter, apparently unique to Canada; hockey, a Canadian game; a cold beer, a Canadian drink (see "I am Canadian"); Tim Horton's, where apparently every Canadian goes; and anything thing to do with Vimy Ridge or the War of 1812.

The satirical attempt's that involve: living in igloos, riding horses/dog sleds, peacekeeping, the beaver, tuques, and pronunciation of letters, namely, "z" has grown tremendously old.

This country is so MUCH more. But apparently we are told the opposite.

Last edited by Epictetus: 12-27-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Canadians have an extreme sense of patriotism that is thrown upon them through media and marketing. It's not surprising, in the slightest, to see the Maple Leaf predicated everywhere.
I think it makes us look silly and that we can't come up with any cool designs. Just my opinion though.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:25 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Lol no they don't... Canada needs MORE patriotism... it's pathetic at times how unpatriotic Canada is.

Quote:
I agree.

If you look past the Maple Leaf, you will also see: winter, apparently unique to Canada; hockey, a Canadian game; a cold beer, a Canadian drink (see "I am Canadian"); Tim Horton's, where apparently every Canadian goes; and anything thing to do with Vimy Ridge or the War of 1812.

The satirical attempt's that involve: living in igloos, riding horses/dog sleds, peacekeeping, the beaver, tuques, and pronunciation of letters, namely, "z" has grown tremendously old.

This country is so MUCH more. But apparently we are told the opposite.
Similar to the states being linked to eagles, stripes and stars etc?

What good does a homage to the country do if nobody outside of the country understands it?

Oh and every Canadian does go to Timmies.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Lol no they don't... Canada needs MORE patriotism... it's pathetic at times how unpatriotic Canada is.
You clearly did not read what I said correctly. I never once said Canada does not have patriotism or a lack thereof.

Quote:
Similar to the states being linked to eagles, stripes and stars etc?
The states does not use this as a marketing tool, while Canada does, which is what this discussion is about, namely, why does the commercialization of patriotism need to be used as a marketing tool to sell products?

Quote:
What good does a homage to the country do if nobody outside of the country understands it?
What? I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, or how it is relevant to the discussion.

Quote:
Oh and every Canadian does go to Timmies.
Not sure if serious here, or just trolling.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Shimso

Quote:
So what you're saying is that the word "hipster" is too mainstream for your tastes?

Old
12-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
So what you're saying is that the word "hipster" is too mainstream for your tastes?
New level of hipster.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:49 PM
MrLegend28*

Quote:
Canadians have an extreme sense of patriotism
HAHA, thats funny. Canadians are the polar opposite of patriot, EXCEPT during the Winter Olympics. During every national sporting event you see every other countries flag rising.

When you ask someone what they are, they dont reply canadian they reply "Italian" "Greek" etc etc.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:06 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

from what ive seen in these first 3 WS games, i would favour the 2013 team over the 92 team, even though i havent seen it yet

Old
12-27-2012, 11:12 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I think we're getting off track with the patriotism/nationalism debate, guys.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I think we're getting off track with the patriotism/nationalism debate, guys.
I think it's a valid point to bring up in critiquing the Jays new BP hat and considering we're in the off season with no new news lately...

Old
12-27-2012, 11:42 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
I think it's a valid point to bring up in critiquing the Jays new BP hat.
no. A valid point to bring up in critiquing the new BP hat is the new BP hat. Patriotism in Canada is tangential at best to the discussion.

But really, that's all irrelevant now since we're at 1000 posts and this thread needs to be locked up.

Closed Thread