HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I have seen him play 12-15 times in the Q and he plays no bigger than he is.
You may be right, but the game that I saw, Drouin uses his hands and speed to play his type of game. Those are his two strengths but he was weaknesses in other areas.

Mac on the other hand is good at everything, he does everything right kinda like John Tavares. The game that I saw, Mac was not afraid to use his smallish size.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Hey guys, I've just updated my blog on the 2013 NHL Draft. There are 2 new posts:

2013 WJC Prospect Watch:
http://hockeylobby.blogspot.ca/2012/...mpionship.html

Hockey Lobby 2013 NHL Mock Draft - Pre-WJC edition
http://hockeylobby.blogspot.ca/2012/...c-edition.html

Feel free to love and hate. Cheers!

Quote:
1. Calgary Flames - Nathan MacKinnon
2. Columbus Blue Jackets - Jonathan Drouin
3. Montreal Canadiens - ...
Link to official thread in the prospect boards.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1312409

Old
12-27-2012, 07:06 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
You may be right, but the game that I saw, Drouin uses his hands and speed to play his type of game. Those are his two strengths but he was weaknesses in other areas.

Mac on the other hand is good at everything, he does everything right kinda like John Tavares. The game that I saw, Mac was not afraid to use his smallish size.
John Tavares sure as hell didn't do everything right in his draft year, and still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of things. He picked up a couple of notches in skating which helps him, but he's not a "2-way" forward yet.

Also, a great player forces other players to play his game. It remains to be seen if he can do that at the NHL level, but there's nothing else than a slight lack of size which could prevent him from doing that at the next level IMO.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:21 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotia Habsfan31 View Post
No you clearly havne't seen Nathan Mackinnon play that many times in the Q if you are saying that. Nathan has steamrolled guys on numerous occasions and this was even at 16. If anything he plays too physical at times IMO looking too much for contact.

You really have to stop embarrassing yourself with these comments about Mackinnon
I wouldn't say too physical but if you compare him to previous Canadian forwards to go first overall (RNH, Tavares, Stamkos), he's more physical than any of them. MacKinnon can actually be pretty surprising with his physical play, it really seems to come out of nowhere sometimes.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:55 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Interesting, I guess you caught some games on streams?

I ask because I was thinking similar things as you after some mediocre performances by him that I saw on TV to start the season...but the last 2 times he was on TV before this tournament (1 in the Subway series and a game vs Gatineau right after), he was very good.
Yeah, I caught pretty much every second of him with Canada (red/white camp, SSS, WJC exhibition) and limited times with Halifax. A lot of the time, he was very good, don't get me wrong. I was looking for more though, and like I said, it seems like it's his physical abilities and work ethic that makes him so good. In the NHL, everyone can skate and dangle, I wanna see him a step ahead of everyone mentally. I've seen it in the other guys, but am yet to see it from him. He's got lots of time to prove me wrong though.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Watching them play, I don't believe this. Mackinnon looks like a future power forward, Jarome Iginla in size/skating. Drouin is small, not tiny, but small. The combine will clear this up though.
You don't believe it but they are.

Just like Plekanec and Mike Richards are the same size.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:15 PM
pcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post

Depends how they play.. For example, Yakupov and Galchenyuk only have an inch of difference but galchenyuk stay high on his skates but yakupov skates really low

Old
12-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
Depends how they play.. For example, Yakupov and Galchenyuk only have an inch of difference but galchenyuk stay high on his skates but yakupov skates really low
Also depends on how they are built. Guys like Mike Richards and Yakupov might be "small" but are broad and heavy, while someone like Plekanec has more of an ordinary build.

I'd say Mackinnon is taller than Drouin but he's also just built more heavily. Height isn't everything, Pouliot for instance was plenty tall but also lanky.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:13 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Also depends on how they are built. Guys like Mike Richards and Yakupov might be "small" but are broad and heavy, while someone like Plekanec has more of an ordinary build.

I'd say Mackinnon is taller than Drouin but he's also just built more heavily. Height isn't everything, Pouliot for instance was plenty tall but also lanky.
All in all, size doesn't really matter at some point, it's the way you play the game and your body strength that really does.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post

Ah the age old debate about what an athlete's size actually is. Are we talking about height? The height and weight? The athlete's frame (shoulders and chest)? A combination of them all? Fact is that this stuff is open to interpretation. You also have to take into account that we're talking about 16-17 year olds. Their stats from last year or from just 4 months ago might have changed.

With that said, from the little I have seen, MacKinnon is bigger and taller. Not necesseraly by a lot but it's noticeable. This picture seems to confirm it. Larger shoulders and a couple inches advantage for Mac (angle/depth and hair might skew this a bit but their shoulders are also not on the same level by a few inches).
I love me some Drouin (and would be ecstatic if we can draft him) but I can somewhat understand the "concern" about his size. He's not particularly undersized and smaller men have thrived in the league with their superior skills, vision and hockey IQ but he will have to make the most out of his smaller frame.

Quote:

Right on the money.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Seth Jones is going to be a perennial stud and will make the opposition cringe every time they play against him. He has a ton of confidence and leadership skill as well.

That's my #1 overall.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:22 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Dano has looked awesome vs Canada so far and he was very good vs Russia too. Where's he rated to go? Second rounder?

Old
12-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I know people on here are obsessed about drafting size, but this kid can really play, almost WHL top scorer at 17 and on pace for around 120 points. He'll probably go in the 2nd or 3rd round, could be a steal, should be on team Canada next year.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/8161

Old
12-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Dano has looked awesome vs Canada so far and he was very good vs Russia too. Where's he rated to go? Second rounder?
He is playing in the KHL at 18...5 points in 26 games, pretty impressive.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:23 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
He is playing in the KHL at 18...5 points in 26 games, pretty impressive.
I would love to take him (if he's interested in coming to the NHL). He looks like a great player - and as you said being in the KHL at 18 is quite amazing.

The Kunzle guy I mentioned from Switzerland just scored in the Swedish game. He might be a decent pick up in the late rounds since I think this will be his second year in the draft. Turned 19 on boxing day. 6'5, 205 pounds. RWer. 3 goals so far in the WJC.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:22 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
I know people on here are obsessed about drafting size, but this kid can really play, almost WHL top scorer at 17 and on pace for around 120 points. He'll probably go in the 2nd or 3rd round, could be a steal, should be on team Canada next year.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/8161
Interesting. We had luck with Gallagher, I'm not against the idea to pick a other small offensive dynamo. Sometime size don't matter. Does he got speed and acceleration ? Very intriguing guy. 60 pts in 35 games, in WHL, and we never heard of him.

As for Jabba1 mock draft, I would love to land Jones. The thing is that Jones would make us cup contender. That why I would prefer him. If we cannot draft him, any of the top 6 fowards would be awesome since they all are very spectacular to watch. But like Jabba said in is article, a pair made with Jones and Subban would be deadly. A true 1st pair. Speed, grit, defensive AND offensive awareness, size and physicality. Those two could dominate the league.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
MaxLacoste

I just look at highlight of Nic Pecan on youtube and I really like his game. I could clearly see Timmins going for this kid with one of his 2nd round pick. If we pick Mirco Muller, Nic Pecan and Nick Sorensen, we would KILL the second round. A big swiss defenseman (we had luck with swiss player), a smallish offensive dynamo and a all-round winger. Those are my picks for the second round, for now.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:56 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument View Post
Ah the age old debate about what an athlete's size actually is. Are we talking about height? The height and weight? The athlete's frame (shoulders and chest)? A combination of them all? Fact is that this stuff is open to interpretation. You also have to take into account that we're talking about 16-17 year olds. Their stats from last year or from just 4 months ago might have changed.

With that said, from the little I have seen, MacKinnon is bigger and taller. Not necesseraly by a lot but it's noticeable. This picture seems to confirm it. Larger shoulders and a couple inches advantage for Mac (angle/depth and hair might skew this a bit but their shoulders are also not on the same level by a few inches).
I love me some Drouin (and would be ecstatic if we can draft him) but I can somewhat understand the "concern" about his size. He's not particularly undersized and smaller men have thrived in the league with their superior skills, vision and hockey IQ but he will have to make the most out of his smaller frame.

Right on the money.
Fantastic reply.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:56 AM
JAVO16

Nichushkin looked very good today in the USA-Russia game. Looks a bit like Lindros out there IMO. I really like his play on the boards. He was even giving Jones some fits in the defensive end matching his size and speed if not smoothness of skating. I can see where the tunnel-vision comment come from, but he eats up the ice so quickly with his big long strides and barrels into open space with so much confidence, it's hard to fault him for not passing it to teammates ahead of him sometimes. Anyways, he really has a tremendous package of size, skating, stickhandling and shot. If he falls to the second round because of the contract he signed in the KHL, I wouldn't mind if the Canadiens took a chance on him.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:00 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Really impressed with Nichushkin again today. Fantastic size/speed combo, and has a very good skill level. He's a little one move in the open ice, but when you have his size/speed, why wouldn't you go wide?

I think I'd gamble on him if we are picking out of the top 6.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Nichushkin looked very good today in the USA-Russia game. Looks a bit like Lindros out there IMO. I really like his play on the boards. He was even giving Jones some fits in the defensive end matching his size and speed if not smoothness of skating. I can see where the tunnel-vision comment come from, but he eats up the ice so quickly with his big long strides and barrels into open space with so much confidence, it's hard to fault him for not passing it to teammates ahead of him sometimes. Anyways, he really has a tremendous package of size, skating, stickhandling and shot. If he falls to the second round because of the contract he signed in the KHL, I wouldn't mind if the Canadiens took a chance on him.
I really don't see him falling to the second round. Mid first at the absolute latest.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Really impressed with Nichushkin again today. Fantastic size/speed combo, and has a very good skill level. He's a little one move in the open ice, but when you have his size/speed, why wouldn't you go wide?

I think I'd gamble on him if we are picking out of the top 6.
I don't know why people rag on him for his "tunnel vision". We have someone who plays the exact same way on our team named Erik Cole and I'd be more than fine with having another.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Hey guys, I've just updated my blog on the 2013 NHL Draft. There are 2 new posts:

2013 WJC Prospect Watch:
http://hockeylobby.blogspot.ca/2012/...mpionship.html

Hockey Lobby 2013 NHL Mock Draft - Pre-WJC edition
http://hockeylobby.blogspot.ca/2012/...c-edition.html

Feel free to love and hate. Cheers!

Link to official thread in the prospect boards.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1312409
No way in hell Jones drops to #3. Right now I'd put my money on him at #1 regardless of who has the pick.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
I don't know why people rag on him for his "tunnel vision". We have someone who plays the exact same way on our team named Erik Cole and I'd be more than fine with having another.
Well I think the concern is we already have a few players like that, though Cole and Gionta should be long gone or shells of themselves by the time Nichushkin comes over.

I get the concerns, we got disappointed once by a Eastern European with elite power forward potential who was never able to put it together in Andrei Kostitsyn, but Nichushkin already plays with more guile than AK did. There is a valid concern that he's under contract in Russia and doesn't seem to be in a rush to come over, but if you are drafting in the teens he's worth the risk IMO.

Quote:
No way in hell Jones drops to #3. Right now I'd put my money on him at #1 regardless of who has the pick.
The Leafs are desperate for a center, I could see them going for Mackinnon or Barkov over Jones, also I could see the Flames going for Mackinnon because they are likely desperate for another great Canadian offensive player. Right now Jones has got to be favourite for #1 by a considerable margin though since the overwhelming majority of the league (including the Habs) would pick him ahead of the forwards at this point. He's by far the safest and has unlimited potential, even if I think his offense is somewhat exaggerated.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well I think the concern is we already have a few players like that, though Cole and Gionta should be long gone or shells of themselves by the time Nichushkin comes over.

I get the concerns, we got disappointed once by a Eastern European with elite power forward potential who was never able to put it together in Andrei Kostitsyn, but Nichushkin already plays with more guile than AK did. There is a valid concern that he's under contract in Russia and doesn't seem to be in a rush to come over, but if you are drafting in the teens he's worth the risk IMO.

The Leafs are desperate for a center, I could see them going for Mackinnon or Barkov over Jones, also I could see the Flames going for Mackinnon because they are likely desperate for another great Canadian offensive player. Right now Jones has got to be favourite for #1 by a considerable margin though since the overwhelming majority of the league (including the Habs) would pick him ahead of the forwards at this point. He's by far the safest and has unlimited potential, even if I think his offense is somewhat exaggerated.
Jones is both a safe pick(he should play NHL in 13-14 and not look out of place) and has high upside(see Pronger at his best). MacKinnon is a safe pick(he will score goals in the NHL) but doesn't have the upside to be a #1 franchise center, more of a 30+ goal 1st line RW.

Closed Thread