HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears Thread #13 - Bears 9-6 ,, Need win + Packers help for playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
A 1-3 start for the Detroit Lions has brought out the critics. An anonymous general manager and other "league executives" ripped Detroit's defensive line to shreds in Pro Football Weekly.

Harrison: Week 6 Power Rankings

With five weeks in the books, the league hierarchy still is taking shape. Elliot Harrison updates his pecking order. More ...

"I have listened to the media hype about (Ndamukong) Suh since he got in the league -- what has he done?" one GM asked. "Even the year he had all those garbage sacks, the guy took a million plays off and got pushed around in the run game. I have never thought he was a very good pro player."

We agree that Suh's rookie season was highly overrated. He made a ton of big plays but gave up just as many in the running game. His second year was disappointing, and Suh hasn't been a dominant player this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...n-allhype-team

Old
12-27-2012, 05:21 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Suh is a good player, but citing a stat that no one uses hardly proves his worth. Warren Sapp just had a big 2 minute rant he went on where he killed Suh for not being as good as he should be, writer from CBS called Suh the most overrated player in the NFL, Hub Arkish has called Suh overrated on a number of occasions citing how he can be disruptive one play and then totally blown off the line the next.

"When [Suh] hit this league, he was good," Sapp said in a recent interview on the Jim Rome radio show. "He was real disruptive [as a rookie], but his game hasn't changed. He hasn't evolved. He hasn't evolved as a pass rusher; he hasn't evolved where he can play both sides and become disruptive.”

So qb hits and tackles for loss are obscure stats now? Give me a break.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Cullksinikers

Stats never lie, but people read too much into them. You can make any player better in your head if you read the stats over and over that are beneficial in an argument for a player you respect.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Suh is #1 at being the dirtiest player in the league though. He's a good player but not a top three DT.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
madgoat33

i also watch games and see the havoc he wreaks.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:30 PM
madgoat33

what's really funny is that the stats support the other guys you all have brought up, but you refuse to acknowledge that they mean anything because they put suh among those players.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
So qb hits and tackles for loss are obscure stats now? Give me a break.
No, you are citing WPA in saying he's the 5th best defensive tackle. Thats an obscure stat that no one looks at.

TFL's and Sacks certainly can be instructional, but they don't tell the entire story of a player. Corey Wooten has more sacks than Jason Pierre Paul and Osi Umenyora, is he better than them? No one is saying Suh isn't a good player, but he's not the elite defensive player he's hyped to be. He's not a game changer like say, JJ Watt is or Aldon Smith is.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Just because you can get to the quarterback once in awhile doesn't mean you are elite. Why do you think KVB and Avril fell off some this year? Suh doesn't warrant the attention he used to. He also has not been impressive against the run.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
No, you are citing WPA in saying he's the 5th best defensive tackle. Thats an obscure stat that no one looks at.

TFL's and Sacks certainly can be instructional, but they don't tell the entire story of a player. Corey Wooten has more sacks than Jason Pierre Paul and Osi Umenyora, is he better than them? No one is saying Suh isn't a good player, but he's not the elite defensive player he's hyped to be. He's not a game changer like say, JJ Watt is or Aldon Smith is.
Absolutely ****ing nailed at. Also supports my previous post of him looking at stats that are in a player's favor (Suh in this case) to help boost an argument and get it in your head a guy is better than he really is.

I think Aldon Smith is somewhat overrated. I think Aldon Smith is still really good, but I also think Justin Smith is better. Aldon looks like ghost without Justin. Aldon is elite, but some credit is owed to Justin.

Watt is just ridiculous, though. He is the best out of all those guys. Does it all. Plays the run, swats the ball, and gets to the quarterback.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
He wreaks so much havoc he's lead the Lions to be 28th in scoring defense this season.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Cullksinikers

The Lions' players are all overrated outside of Calvin. Ever since they started off 5-0, they have been absolutely abysmal. Incredibly overrated pass rush and quarterback that has inflated stats because he throws the ball more than anyone in history. Turnover machine. I think we can all agree that Detroit can go suck one.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
He wreaks so much havoc he's lead the Lions to be 28th in scoring defense this season.
what are the ravens or patriots? aster all ngata and wilfork are so much better...

Old
12-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
what are the ravens or patriots? aster all ngata and wilfork are so much better...
Ravens are 12, Patriots are 17. Both significantly better.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:48 PM
madgoat33

damn ravens are still 12? feel like they've been getting hosed for the past 8 or so weeks

Old
12-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Cullksinikers

Bears fans, it looks as though if Cobb is out, Nelson is coming back to ease the blow. Or both play and just own those guys even more.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Tim Tebow is same terrible QB he was at start of his NCAA career
You made my point.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Illinihockey

Tebow is an awful qb, how are people still debating this

Old
12-27-2012, 06:35 PM
madgoat33

because he won games!!

Old
12-27-2012, 06:57 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Absolutely ****ing nailed at. Also supports my previous post of him looking at stats that are in a player's favor (Suh in this case) to help boost an argument and get it in your head a guy is better than he really is.

I think Aldon Smith is somewhat overrated. I think Aldon Smith is still really good, but I also think Justin Smith is better. Aldon looks like ghost without Justin. Aldon is elite, but some credit is owed to Justin.

Watt is just ridiculous, though. He is the best out of all those guys. Does it all. Plays the run, swats the ball, and gets to the quarterback.
ESPN's Scout's INC graded Justin Smith as the 5th (could be wrong here, but it was high) best player in the NFL. He's definitely not appreciated for how good he is.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:30 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Just realized the Vikes are in the late game. This blows!
I'd rather it be that way. Team can't scoreboard watch, you know you obviously have to win, and can stay 100% focused on the field. Also like that I can pay full attention to the Bears at 1, and then full attention to the Pack and Vikings at 4.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:50 PM
RayP

Dustin Keller really doesn't want to be franchise tagged.

Quote:
"I signed a five year deal, that's what I agreed to. To make somebody play a one year deal to something they never agreed to is crazy to me. It's not legal in any other business, so it's still, it's just crazy to me. So no, I definitely don't want to be franchised,"

Knowing the Jets, they'll tag him too.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:34 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I'd rather it be that way. Team can't scoreboard watch, you know you obviously have to win, and can stay 100% focused on the field. Also like that I can pay full attention to the Bears at 1, and then full attention to the Pack and Vikings at 4.
Well I can't watch the 3 o'clock games, leaving for Iowa with 5 guys (1 a Vikes fan) after we pick up a guy at the airport after 3. So that's why it sucks

Old
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Illinihockey

Without question the selection of Bears cornerbacks Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings to start the Pro Bowl reflects how highly the rest of the league regards the tandem.

Not since 1988, when the Browns duo of Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield earned starting honors for the AFC, have one team's starting cornerbacks been similarly honored.

An official show of respect to Tillman and Jennings comes about four weeks too late for the Bears.

If the officiating crew in the Seahawks game Dec. 2 at Soldier Field had respected Tillman and Jennings more obviously while making two key judgment calls during a 23-17 overtime loss, the Bears might enter Week 17 under very different circumstances. The Tribune has learned the league later acknowledged to the Bears via its weekly feedback on questionable calls that the crew failed to call offensive pass-interference penalties on two receptions in front of the Pro Bowl cornerbacks that preceded Seahawks touchdowns.

The first came on third-and-6 from the Seahawks 47 with 3 minutes, 10 seconds left in the first half. Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson threw a deep sideline pass to wide receiver Golden Tate. Tate subtly shoved Jennings to the ground with his right hand near the Bears 30 and came down with what he turned into a 49-yard reception. The Seahawks scored a touchdown on the next play from the 4.

The call was one of seven the Bears formally questioned in their weekly correspondence with the NFL officiating department. In a response from the NFL obtained by the Tribune, the league agreed with the Bears' postgame interpretation of all seven calls after its videotape review.

By design, the open dialogue teams routinely maintain with the NFL about officials' decision-making can result in admissions of mistakes. After the Bears' 17-14 loss to the Redskins in October 2010, for example, a team source told the Tribune the league admitted missing a personal foul on the Redskins that would have nullified DeAngelo Hall's 92-yard interception return for a touchdown. The Bears made that moot by eventually winning NFC home-field advantage.

On the explanation of Tate's offensive pass interference against Jennings, the league stated simply: "Agree. OPI on #81 for creating separation with his arm.''

The disputed no-call against Tillman came in overtime. With the Seahawks facing a critical third-and-10 from the Bears 25, Wilson rolled left to escape the rush and found wide receiver Daniel Baldwin for a 12-yard completion. To separate, Baldwin rammed his shoulder into Tillman after he opened his hips. The collision knocked Tillman to the ground. On Fox's telecast, analyst Tim Ryan remarked, "Baldwin got away with a little bump.''

Regarding Baldwin's no-call the Bears questioned in their report, the league wrote: "Agree. OPI on #89 for blocking to create separation.''

Sidney Rice caught a 13-yard touchdown pass on the next play to end a game that sent both teams in opposite directions.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...3275414.column

Old
12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Well I can't watch the 3 o'clock games, leaving for Iowa with 5 guys (1 a Vikes fan) after we pick up a guy at the airport after 3. So that's why it sucks
Well, hopefully you can at least listen to it on the radio... although football on the radio sucks.

You or any of your buddies have tethering with your cell plans? With decent enough reception, you could stream it if you do...

Old
12-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Illinihockey

Zach Zaidman‏@ZachZaidman

Allen and Melton are questionable. Conte and Costanzo are out. Forte is probable.

Closed Thread