HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Team Staff Salary Cuts & Layoffs (MOD: and local city impacts from lockout)

Old
12-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Rich people not caring about other people's well-being?
Well, color me shocked.
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Really-Car...ore+to+charity

and read the reviews as well.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
A major sport has impact on the local economy? You don't say. I feel sorry for the people that are losing work due to being arena employees who won't work as many days or being restauraunt bar/employees whose hours are cut. However, as far as Christmas goes, maybe it's time to scale back a bit. The commercials I see these days suggest you should be out buying new cars and diamond jewelery for your friends and family. Frivolous much?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
What does giving money to charity have to do with anything? This is about rich people squabbling over money and not caring about the side effects that it has on everyone else.

Plenty of corporate bigwigs have given loads to charity and slashed jobs without a second's hesitation. Plus, the point the book makes is about one's political outlook and how conservatives tend to give more money to charity than liberals, which has nothing to do with this here.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:55 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/182622361.html

St Paul businesses losing estimated $900k per game according to mayor.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
A major sport has impact on the local economy? You don't say. I feel sorry for the people that are losing work due to being arena employees who won't work as many days or being restauraunt bar/employees whose hours are cut. However, as far as Christmas goes, maybe it's time to scale back a bit. The commercials I see these days suggest you should be out buying new cars and diamond jewelery for your friends and family. Frivolous much?
Yeah, I hate it. During Avalanche games around Christmas they play commercials from Lexus and Cadillac about buying cars like that for people as gifts. Worst part is some of them are downright mean spirited about it, like you're not a real person if you can't buy a Lexus or Cadillac for your spouse for Christmas.

All the advertising that happens during Avalanche games is for really expensive or high class versions of normal stuff. It goes to show how they think of hockey fans as nothing but cash cows that can be endlessly milked, all while they raise ticket prices by about 10% each season and force their bread and butter fans right out of the arena seats.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:58 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Yeah, I hate it. During Avalanche games around Christmas they play commercials from Lexus and Cadillac about buying cars like that for people as gifts. Worst part is some of them are downright mean spirited about it, like you're not a real person if you can't buy a Lexus or Cadillac for your spouse for Christmas.

All the advertising that happens during Avalanche games is for really expensive or high class versions of normal stuff. It goes to show how they think of hockey fans as nothing but cash cows that can be endlessly milked, all while they raise ticket prices by about 10% each season and force their bread and butter fans right out of the arena seats.
Glad I'm not the only one that wants to puke watching the Lexus Christmas commercial.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Lightning staffers get "extended vacation"

Click here

Not only will they receive their full pay, the extra days will not count against their regular accrued vacation time.

We're very fortunate to have Mr. Vinik as our owner.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:38 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Lightning staffers get "extended vacation"

Click here

Not only will they receive their full pay, the extra days will not count against their regular accrued vacation time.

We're very fortunate to have Mr. Vinik as our owner.
I also like he's giving each of them $75 extra to go to the charity of their choice. I hope they all actually do give it to somebody.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...urant-dollars/

Quote:
I also wanted to get a sense of the drop in business attributed to the lockout and the 16 Sharks’ home games that have been canceled so far. I checked with Scott Knies, head of the San Jose Downtown Association, who cited a Canadian survey that said restaurants and businesses near NHL arenas were reporting a 30 percent decline. That figure, Knies added, sounded about right for San Jose as well.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://video.sharks.nhl.com/videocen...91080&catid=-6
Video from Sharks showing impact of game on local businesses, and a word from the Marine Corps collecting toys for the Toys for Tots drive (claim that the largest source of toys is from events @ HP Pavilion, guessing that's at least county wide).

Old
12-20-2012, 05:13 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412037
AP story looks at the impact of local businesses in Buffalo and other NHL cities from the lockout, and the trickle down effect.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Brick City
Ignore me!

A Star Ledger interview with Lou Lamoriello about the lockout yesterday noted that there have been no layoffs or salary cuts to Devils employees (of course, game day staff are getting substantially less hours).

Quote:
Notes: The Devils have not had any layoffs or pay cuts in the organization to date.

"Right now everything is status quo," Lamoriello said. "Jeff Vanderbeek has done a tremendous job of trying to keep everything in perspective. He deserves a tremendous amount of credit."
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...on_nhl_l.html?

Pretty good for our high-falutin' huckster owner (for the uninitiated, one of the many colorful terms applied to Vanderbeek by Newark mayor Cory Booker after the Devils largely prevailed in arbitration against the city earlier this year). Seriously though, this may suggest that Vanderbeek and/or the Devils are not as broke as certain publications claim. Or maybe it is just more spending by Vanderbeek on his way out the door. Either way, pretty classy move by an owner not known to be swimming in money these days.

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
Or maybe it is just more spending by Vanderbeek on his way out the door. Either way, pretty classy move by an owner not known to be swimming in money these days.
FWIW - This from The Fourth Period a few weeks back

Quote:
DECEMBER 9, 2012 l 7:22PM ET
Devils pending sale still on track
TheFourthPeriod.com

Calgary-based billionaire Bill Gallacher remains in pursuit of purchasing a majority share of the New Jersey Devils, multiple sources told TFP this past week.

News first broke in August when TFP reported talks were underway to buy the Devils from majority owner Jeff Vanderbeek and minority partners Ray Chambers and Mike Gilfillan.

Chambers and Gilfillan have been looking to sell their 47 per cent stake in the organization for several months. It's believed Gallacher is looking to buy their percentage, along with an additional piece from Vanderbeek, who is expected to stay on board in a minority role.

According to two sources familiar with pending sale, Gallacher recently received an extension on his exclusive negotiating period. An announcement is expected as early as January 2013.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/njd121209.html

Major4Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:52 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...s=rss_capitals

Washington Post on the impact near Verizon Center.