HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sam Gagner and Ryan Whitney

Old
12-26-2012, 06:08 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Sam Gagner and Ryan Whitney

What could the Oilers get for Sam Gagner and Ryan Whitney?

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:41 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
With Whitney being a UFA next season and the HF's hate for the Oilers Gagner this should be interesting.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Top 6 Spaling

At this point, it looks like there will be no season, so this is Whitney's UFA rights and Gagner's RFA rights. Not saying it's a bad package, just saying not to expect that much. Whitney's rights are probably worth a 3rd/4th assuming the lockout breaks in, say, April. Later picks the later the lockout ends. Gagner alone is worth a late 1st or good #3/4D or young 2/3rd line tweener.

Together, probably a 2nd liner or 2nd pairing Dman. Oilers are better off signing Whitney before even thinking about moving him.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:47 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
At this point, it looks like there will be no season, so this is Whitney's UFA rights and Gagner's RFA rights. Not saying it's a bad package, just saying not to expect that much. Whitney's rights are probably worth a 3rd/4th assuming the lockout breaks in, say, April. Later picks the later the lockout ends. Gagner alone is worth a late 1st or good #3/4D or young 2/3rd line tweener.

Together, probably a 2nd liner or 2nd pairing Dman. Oilers are better off signing Whitney before even thinking about moving him.
Fair assessment, although I don't think Whitney is resigned unless it's at a discount and even then I'm not sure.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Gagner = average third liner
Whitney = injury prone dman

so, maybe a late second round pick.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:15 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Gagner's value right now is similar to Turris' value when he got traded to Ottawa, which was a good D-prospect (Rundblad) and a 2nd. Gagner should get something similar to that if he got traded.

Whitney doesn't have much value as he is UFA. He might get you a 4th if he got traded early. Teams looking for a #3 type defenseman might give you a 3rd if they feel they can sign him.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Gagner's value right now is similar to Turris' value when he got traded to Ottawa, which was a good D-prospect (Rundblad) and a 2nd. Gagner should get something similar to that if he got traded.

Whitney doesn't have much value as he is UFA. He might get you a 4th if he got traded early. Teams looking for a #3 type defenseman might give you a 3rd if they feel they can sign him.
I don't think Gagner has the value Turris did. Turris had a much higher potential. Gagner is what he is. He's not good enough to be a top 6 player, and he's not big or responsible enough to play 3rd line.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:27 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I don't think Gagner has the value Turris did. Turris had a much higher potential. Gagner is what he is. He's not good enough to be a top 6 player on a good team, and he's not big or responsible enough to play 3rd line on a good team.
Added the bolded so Oil fans can differentiate before they chime in saying yes he is

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
I don't think Gagner has the value Turris did. Turris had a much higher potential. Gagner is what he is. He's not good enough to be a top 6 player, and he's not big or responsible enough to play 3rd line.
Nailed it.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post

Yeah, seems right... I could see someone giving up a 2nd rounder for Gagner, or maybe a team desperate for talent upfront gives up a late 1st in a weak draft (so not this years)

Whitney's UFA rights may land a conditional 3rd or 4th if signed.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
BarDownBobo

I don't understand the logic that Gagner isn't a second line center. The numbers say differently. As for the value of them, the only way those two have a value worth trading them is if there is a season, and Whitney shows he's healthy. At that point, can probably move the two of them for a package of picks/prospects to a team looking to make a run.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
zytz
lumberjack

17 pesos

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:55 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post

Disagree. I believe that Gagner is easily a 2nd line centre. He's a solid, loyal soldier who works HARD. I don't understand HF's hatred of him. He's a 2nd line centre on most teams, minus the obvious ones like Vancouver and San Jose.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
Disagree. I believe that Gagner is easily a 2nd line centre. He's a solid, loyal soldier who works HARD. I don't understand HF's hatred of him. He's a 2nd line centre on most teams, minus the obvious ones like Vancouver and San Jose.
Most of those who hate him don't either, it's the HF hive mind taking over.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:34 AM
momo

As for Gagner. 0.5 ppg young players are always wanted.

If I were to guess, if Oilers trade him it would be for a roster D-man or a roster defensive minded forward.

momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Cam98

no on wants Gagner, hes to slow.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
What could the Oilers get for Sam Gagner and Ryan Whitney?
No reason to trade either right now.

Whitney will have a great year = 40ish points. - He wont be relied upon as much. The PP will be clicking on all cylinders.
Gagner will have a solid year = 65ish points. With 2 world class wingers, he's bound to have a good season. (top 4 wingers in EDM are Hall Eberle Hemsky Yakupov) Pick 2 and put them with Gagner - 65 points is a safe bet.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:14 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
And Pittsburgh

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Pretty much every team that has a Gagner level 2nd line center is either trying to upgrade that center or expecting them to develop and improve significantly.

45 point players who aren't big, fast, physical or great defensively don't have a lot of value. He's basically a placeholder for a real 2C. How much would you pay for a placeholder?

Just off the top of my head, the following teams have a clearly better 2C than Gagner

Pittsburgh
Philly
New Jersey
Carolina
Tampa
Boston
LA
San Jose
Vancouver
Washington
Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
St. Louis
Nashville

And the following have 2Cs who are better but not a lot better

NYI
NYR
Toronto (arguable with Bozak but Bozak brings more defensively and is faster)
Montreal
Phoenix
Ottawa (close but Turris has better speed, wrist shot and defensive acumen)
Anaheim (Koivu is declining)
Columbus (Anisimov/Johansen are at his level but Anisimov brings more and Johansen has much more potential)

Only teams where he's a clear cut top 2 C would be

Florida
Minnesota (hoping Granlund becomes elite)
Winnipeg (hoping Schiefele/Burmistrov become elite)
Calgary (horrible center situation Gagner doesn't come close to fixing)
Chicago (Bolland is better but a 3C fixture, only team I can think of who'd actually pay for him).

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Oates2Neely

Gagner is an average centerman,, perhaps if he can learn to play better in his own zone he can become a reliable 3rd line center some day. As if now,, he's not a top 6 center, and he doesn't have enough intangibles to anchor a 3rd line pivot spot (not on a team with intentions of making noise in the playoffs)

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:22 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Value of the OP's package, i.e. short-term UFA rights to a perenially injured D and RFA rights (assuming he's not UFA in a new CBA) a soft C that is not in a good team's top 6, and cant handle bottom 6? I think I may have a used Tic Tac in my couch cushions. Deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post

In response to ^ , I agree with the below. Rundblad was one of the hottest prospects in the league at the time he was traded, and the 2nd was not exactly a low one. No way Gagner gets that if traded, because on any team where he is realistically one of their top 2 centers is not a good enough team that could afford to trade away that level of prospect and what would be a high 2nd, especially not in such a deep draft.

Quote:

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Descendent*

Luke Adam and Christian Erhoff

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:23 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Pretty much every team that has a Gagner level 2nd line center is either trying to upgrade that center or expecting them to develop and improve significantly.

45 point players who aren't big, fast, physical or great defensively don't have a lot of value. He's basically a placeholder for a real 2C. How much would you pay for a placeholder?

Just off the top of my head, the following teams have a clearly better 2C than Gagner

Pittsburgh
Philly
New Jersey
Carolina
Tampa
Boston
LA
San Jose
Vancouver
Washington
Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
St. Louis
Nashville

And the following have 2Cs who are better but not a lot better

NYI
NYR
Toronto (arguable with Bozak but Bozak brings more defensively and is faster)
Montreal
Phoenix
Ottawa (close but Turris has better speed, wrist shot and defensive acumen)
Anaheim (Koivu is declining)
Columbus (Anisimov/Johansen are at his level but Anisimov brings more and Johansen has much more potential)

Only teams where he's a clear cut top 2 C would be

Florida
Minnesota (hoping Granlund becomes elite)
Winnipeg (hoping Schiefele/Burmistrov become elite)
Calgary (horrible center situation Gagner doesn't come close to fixing)
Chicago (Bolland is better but a 3C fixture, only team I can think of who'd actually pay for him).
Your post would be better if you posted the player, and their cap hit.

Personally, I can see it for some teams, but others seem like a reach. That, combined with cap hit, makes a big difference.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:08 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
Your post would be better if you posted the player, and their cap hit.

Personally, I can see it for some teams, but others seem like a reach. That, combined with cap hit, makes a big difference.
You could argue the points you make for the middle group sure. But the Clear Cut group takes it no matter what you throw in as value pointers.

Gagner is like the Morrison to the Oilers, like the WCE days in Vancouver. He's a good soldier who will play his little heart out, but when everything is said and done he just isn't on the same level as his teammates when it comes to skill level.
His value comes to teams who need better scoring from their 2nd pivot spot like Chicago, but still have the depth to cover Gagner on the defensive side, making his job strictly scoring.

Though Whitney's value could be anything, it would probably be in the best interest of the Oil to hold onto him until they have someone ready to step in and completely take his spot. Offering Ryan 4 million per for 2 years gives them flexibility long term but allows each of the young prospects a chance to develop properly. Grabbing an extra 3rd or 4th round pick is pointless.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:47 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
You could argue the points you make for the middle group sure. But the Clear Cut group takes it no matter what you throw in as value pointers.

Gagner is like the Morrison to the Oilers, like the WCE days in Vancouver. He's a good soldier who will play his little heart out, but when everything is said and done he just isn't on the same level as his teammates when it comes to skill level.
His value comes to teams who need better scoring from their 2nd pivot spot like Chicago, but still have the depth to cover Gagner on the defensive side, making his job strictly scoring.
Is Gagner better than his likely linemates? Hemsky and Yakupov, I'd say not, although that's not to say he's not a 2nd liner.

Personally, I think that Gagner is under-rated on HF, simply because he's played on such a poor team for such a long time. Now, when Edmonton finally has players that are better than him, he's viewed as a less than optimal 2nd liner. Edmonton should play him for a year between Yakupov and Hemsky, with Eberle, Hall, and Hopkins playing against the leagues best, and see what they have before considering moving him.

Next year, we'll likely be talking about soft minutes and strong linemates when it comes to Gagner, which fits with your assertion about Morrison. Personally, I think he can be more than that, and can't see why a team would move him (or Morrison, for that matter) at 23.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote