HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 09:37 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

vCash: 500
Drinking one of the Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock's right now. Outstanding. I've had quite a few Doppel's, but this one might be the best. So malty. So thick, it's almost leaving residue on the glass, like whole milk.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Mr. T

Had some sours at Cascade this weekend. The Cranberry was okay and the Blueberry was awesome. I drowned my sorrow from the Steelers game with a vanilla porter from Klamath Basin and I'm going to watch Dexter with a Maple Porter from Coalition. I haven't tried one yet, but I've heard that it is awesome.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:15 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Southern Tier Xmas >>>>>> Mad Elf. AINEC.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Shady Machine

So I just started a part time job at Whole Foods in the Specialty Department (beer, wine, cheese). I get to sample any of the cheese and if I want to try a beer or wine (with in reason) I just open it up. I'm mostly going to be a beer/wine guy so I've been working on our displays.

Anyway, I did a tasting of Lakefront Brewery (Milwaukee, WI) Holiday Spice Lager last night at the store. It wasn't selling well because it lacked name recognition but it is quite good. 11% alcohol and pretty well spiced. I really enjoyed it and other than the one random customer that spit it out, everyone else received it well. Pretty solid beer.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:45 PM
invictus

Teach me about which cheeses to buy and which crackers to pair them with.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
DockEllisExperience

Popped open my stash of Stone Vertical Epics years 07-12 last night, was a fun little trip to say the least. I thought 07, 09 and the 12 were my favorites.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Popped open my stash of Stone Vertical Epics years 07-12 last night, was a fun little trip to say the least. I thought 07, 09 and the 12 were my favorites.
You didn't call?

Old
12-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Retrocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Got some for Christmas, so good.

Tried a Sam Adam's Merry Mischief Gingerbread Stout at Mad Mex over the weekend, different but good. I remember hearing about it a few months back, but this was the first time I've seen it.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:05 PM
rk50

So if someone likes hops (ipas) and hates stouts/porters/malts/coffee flavors what is a logical next choice in beer types? Need to add some variety. Want to try some non-us types too.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:07 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Am sitting here drinking one of my old favourites (Samuel Adams Boston Lager) and a newly acquired favourite (Hoegaarden).

Life is good.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:03 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk50 View Post
So if someone likes hops (ipas) and hates stouts/porters/malts/coffee flavors what is a logical next choice in beer types? Need to add some variety. Want to try some non-us types too.
I would say you have a handful of options:
1) American Pale Ales - often pretty hoppy, so might be too similar to IPAs you already like.
2) British Pale Ales - these are usually more balanced than the US versions or IPAs, so they could branch out.
3) Amber Ales - I guess you should look for hoppier ones, because sometimes they emphasize the malt, but I started out as a hophead and now ambers are my favorite.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:04 PM
rk50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Spinoza View Post
I would say you have a handful of options:
1) American Pale Ales - often pretty hoppy, so might be too similar to IPAs you already like.
2) British Pale Ales - these are usually more balanced than the US versions or IPAs, so they could branch out.
3) Amber Ales - I guess you should look for hoppier ones, because sometimes they emphasize the malt, but I started out as a hophead and now ambers are my favorite.

Thanks for the tips. Got any personal favs you recommend?

Old
12-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Are you in the Pittsburgh area? Great Divide makes an awesome barley wine that's fairly hoppy for the style. I'm pretty sure they distribute nationally.

Do you like the black IPA/black ale/CDA (whatever it's called these days) style?

Old
12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
rk50

Yes im in pittsburgh. Might like cdas as long as they arent too dark and malty.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

It just became a bit easier to acquire beer where I live, so I've been experimenting with different types, and I have to say I've become fond of Warsteiner Premium Verum, moreso than any other brand I've tried.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Mr. T

Logsdon and Bison collaborated on a Saison/Farmhouse-Chocolate Stout. It was...different. Probably something that I wouldn't get again. Not two styles I think of it when it comes to a collaboration/blend.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Logsdon and Bison collaborated on a Saison/Farmhouse-Chocolate Stout. It was...different. Probably something that I wouldn't get again. Not two styles I think of it when it comes to a collaboration/blend.
A few weeks ago, I'd come across a coffee bean/vanilla bean porter. I forget who made it, but it wasn't bad.

I don't think I could drink many porters, in general, though.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:34 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in responding--didn't see your reply until now. For Pale Ales, I'd recommend Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which is essentially an IPA. Dale's Pale Ale is also excellent. For Amber Ales, I'd recommend trying to scout out some Troegs Nugget Nectar when it comes out in February, and if you are ready for more of a push, I'd recommend Elysian Men's Room Red, which is more on the malty/dark beer side, but excellent.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Retrocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
A few weeks ago, I'd come across a coffee bean/vanilla bean porter. I forget who made it, but it wasn't bad.

I don't think I could drink many porters, in general, though.
Atwater Vanilla Java Porter? It's a favorite of mine.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Why haven't I looked at this thread before? Facepalm

The family relocated to Erie when i was young. Yes, Erie sucks. Yes, it's a mini-Canada. Oh, and yes, the Tim Hortons per capita is strange.

With that said. Idk if this has ever been mentioned, but take a trip to Erie. Watch Connor McDavid and pick up some Erie Brewing Co. beer.

They have a variety of APA and IPA ales. Railbender and Presque Isle Pilsner are actually really good...others are questionable...

And did I see the word Heineken? Only memory I have with that particular beer was frosh year of college. We got one of those mini kegs. It was so bad that whoever won a game of beer pong got to drink the Bud Heavy instead.

...gonna have to search this thread. I feel like there are a lot of micro suggestions...
Lavery Brewing in Erie makes a yummy Belfast Black Smoked Porter. Not as smoky as you might expect, which made it even better for me. Can't get it in Columbus, though, and I've been hit-and-miss finding it when I get back to Pittsburgh to visit my folks. Anyone ever had any of their other brews?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Trying this for the first time, one of only 2 St. Bernardus beers I have yet to try.

Nicely carbonated, pleasantly understated sweet finish. I like it a lot. The bubbles are gorgeous in this beer, amazing head and lacing. Love tripels, this is excellent.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Mr. T

Coalition CDA is pretty decent, these guys are brewing some great stuff. Boneyard IPA is awesome as ever. They might be the best brewery in central Oregon right now. Sorry, Deschutes.

A rep from Magic Hat was in the place I was at tonight. Sipping Number 9 and whatever the hell else she gave me between my Boneyard really diminished it. No plans on drinking that again.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:39 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Drinking the other St Bernardus I haven't tried before, Wit.

Wow. This is the witbier to judge others. It's just perfect. Now I'm disappointed I can't find this in 4 packs because it would be my go-to in the summer...

Old
01-12-2013, 02:45 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Am trying to decide what beer or beers to buy this upcoming week in order to stock my fridge in time for hockey season.

Hmm...

Old
01-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
Nugget Nectar season is fast approaching.

Closed Thread