HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 27 • United States 8, Germany 0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2012, 01:37 PM
  #501
ndd17
Registered User
 
ndd17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
How did Mike Reilly look?

ndd17 is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
  #502
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,892
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Miller needs to stop channeling Kyle Palmieri and give the puck up less.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now  
Old
12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
  #503
PanniniClaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd17 View Post
How did Mike Reilly look?
I thought he looked good. Skated well and made accurate passes.

PanniniClaus is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 02:07 PM
  #504
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 500
After watching 50 out of 60 minutes(miss the last 10 minutes) i would rate the forward and the defenceman in this order

Top 5 Forward today

1-Galchenyuk
2-Kuraly
3-Hartman
4-Barber
5-Pietila

Defenceman in order

1-Trouba
2-Rielly
3-Ghost
4-Jones
5-Murphy
6-McCabe

EveryDay is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 02:22 PM
  #505
theboss*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
How many mins did Gally play in the third?

theboss* is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
  #506
Sean Monahan
Moewny
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
How many mins did Gally play in the third?
None

ZOMG HIT THE PANIC BUTTON










Sean Monahan is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
  #507
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
I'm impressed with Housley's coaching decisions thus far. Putting Kuralay on the top line was very smart. His speed meshes well with the other two. Galchenyuk was far and away the best player on the ice. Really good chemistry there. D pairings were good and the checking line was already set in the exhibition games. They weren't needed today. Resting Gibson was a good idea. He only faced a challenge on the 5 on 3's, so he will be well rested for Russia. The only knock on Phil is that I think he needs to split up the supposed top line. Miller has not looked good in three games and the line doesn't work well together. Sure JT had a nice screen, along with two Germans , but his goal was an awkward jam on a bad turnover. Maybe Trochek would work better with Rocco and Johnny. Miller, Lucia and Biggs could play a better forechecking game.

Jones was pretty shaky in his U20 debut, but his skills are clearly evident. You could tell he was just making poor decisions on the big stage due to butterflies. It's good he got them out today. Those turnovers would hurt more against Russia than Germany.

I feel pretty bad for Germany. The one thing that made them at all competitive yesterday was their legs. Canada beat them on their poor coverage, but at least they could skate. They had no legs today, except for 7-10 minutes at the end of the first. Poor coverage and no legs is not a good combination. USA picked them apart, but Germany helped them out with some atrocious turnovers and looked to me like they did as good a job screening their own goalie as USA did. Draisaitl was the lone standout today. I don't think Trautman played any better than Cupper, but the team just didn't have any gas left. I saw it on the first PK. Yesterday, Germany was very aggressive on the puck carrier. Today they were so passive it looked like a different squad. Good luck to them in the relegation against Latvia because I don't see them beating Slovakia.

Tomorrow's game against Russia will be a real test. Housley rolled all the lines and kept Galchenyuk on the bench a bit more after the first. I hope they don't suffer the fatigue we saw the Germans had today. It should be a great game.

Good job today USA.

Nash is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 02:42 PM
  #508
ndd17
Registered User
 
ndd17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Good job today USA.
Agreed 100%

ndd17 is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
  #509
Shaun Bisson
Registered User
 
Shaun Bisson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 253
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I'm impressed with Housley's coaching decisions thus far. Putting Kuralay on the top line was very smart. His speed meshes well with the other two. Galchenyuk was far and away the best player on the ice. Really good chemistry there. D pairings were good and the checking line was already set in the exhibition games. They weren't needed today. Resting Gibson was a good idea. He only faced a challenge on the 5 on 3's, so he will be well rested for Russia. The only knock on Phil is that I think he needs to split up the supposed top line. Miller has not looked good in three games and the line doesn't work well together. Sure JT had a nice screen, along with two Germans , but his goal was an awkward jam on a bad turnover. Maybe Trochek would work better with Rocco and Johnny. Miller, Lucia and Biggs could play a better forechecking game.

Jones was pretty shaky in his U20 debut, but his skills are clearly evident. You could tell he was just making poor decisions on the big stage due to butterflies. It's good he got them out today. Those turnovers would hurt more against Russia than Germany.

I feel pretty bad for Germany. The one thing that made them at all competitive yesterday was their legs. Canada beat them on their poor coverage, but at least they could skate. They had no legs today, except for 7-10 minutes at the end of the first. Poor coverage and no legs is not a good combination. USA picked them apart, but Germany helped them out with some atrocious turnovers and looked to me like they did as good a job screening their own goalie as USA did. Draisaitl was the lone standout today. I don't think Trautman played any better than Cupper, but the team just didn't have any gas left. I saw it on the first PK. Yesterday, Germany was very aggressive on the puck carrier. Today they were so passive it looked like a different squad. Good luck to them in the relegation against Latvia because I don't see them beating Slovakia.

Tomorrow's game against Russia will be a real test. Housley rolled all the lines and kept Galchenyuk on the bench a bit more after the first. I hope they don't suffer the fatigue we saw the Germans had today. It should be a great game.

Good job today USA.
Very well put man.

Gally very well could be the 2nd best player in the tournament behind RNH. I still believe he is better than Yakupov.

Shaun Bisson is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
  #510
bizzz*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Minsk
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
After watching 50 out of 60 minutes(miss the last 10 minutes) i would rate the forward and the defenceman in this order

Top 5 Forward today

1-Galchenyuk
2-Kuraly
3-Hartman
4-Barber
5-Pietila

Defenceman in order

1-Trouba
2-Rielly
3-Ghost
4-Jones
5-Murphy
6-McCabe
Rielly plays for Canada. Reilly plays for USA.

bizzz* is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 03:03 PM
  #511
Cfriss216
Registered User
 
Cfriss216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I'm impressed with Housley's coaching decisions thus far. Putting Kuralay on the top line was very smart. His speed meshes well with the other two. Galchenyuk was far and away the best player on the ice. Really good chemistry there. D pairings were good and the checking line was already set in the exhibition games. They weren't needed today. Resting Gibson was a good idea. He only faced a challenge on the 5 on 3's, so he will be well rested for Russia. The only knock on Phil is that I think he needs to split up the supposed top line. Miller has not looked good in three games and the line doesn't work well together. Sure JT had a nice screen, along with two Germans , but his goal was an awkward jam on a bad turnover. Maybe Trochek would work better with Rocco and Johnny. Miller, Lucia and Biggs could play a better forechecking game.

Jones was pretty shaky in his U20 debut, but his skills are clearly evident. You could tell he was just making poor decisions on the big stage due to butterflies. It's good he got them out today. Those turnovers would hurt more against Russia than Germany.

I feel pretty bad for Germany. The one thing that made them at all competitive yesterday was their legs. Canada beat them on their poor coverage, but at least they could skate. They had no legs today, except for 7-10 minutes at the end of the first. Poor coverage and no legs is not a good combination. USA picked them apart, but Germany helped them out with some atrocious turnovers and looked to me like they did as good a job screening their own goalie as USA did. Draisaitl was the lone standout today. I don't think Trautman played any better than Cupper, but the team just didn't have any gas left. I saw it on the first PK. Yesterday, Germany was very aggressive on the puck carrier. Today they were so passive it looked like a different squad. Good luck to them in the relegation against Latvia because I don't see them beating Slovakia.

Tomorrow's game against Russia will be a real test. Housley rolled all the lines and kept Galchenyuk on the bench a bit more after the first. I hope they don't suffer the fatigue we saw the Germans had today. It should be a great game.

Good job today USA.
Yep, totally agree. Can't wait for the game tomorrow. I'm looking forward to Canada and Slovakia also. That could be a better game than people are predicting. Canada takes it though.

Cfriss216 is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 03:31 PM
  #512
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,830
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It's a shame NBC doesn't pick this tournament up.
This seems like something that be right up NBCSports alley.

DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
  #513
MrWilson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Iceland
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Um...well, Germany really didn't show up. Surprised it wasn't 15-0. There were moments where you were wondering whether all the black jerseys had simply left the ice. All in all, I'd say it wasn't the best game to be evaluating performance of individual players on the US side. The next one should be much better though...

MrWilson is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
  #514
domon
Registered User
 
domon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 835
vCash: 500
EJ Hradek just keeps talking...

domon is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
  #515
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Yep, totally agree. Can't wait for the game tomorrow. I'm looking forward to Canada and Slovakia also. That could be a better game than people are predicting. Canada takes it though.
Yeah I'm not expecting to walk over Slovakia... they're pretty underrated.

TieClark is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
  #516
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Miller needs to stop channeling Kyle Palmieri and give the puck up less.
Still have that chip on your shoulders, I see.

Exit Dose is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 08:49 PM
  #517
zech
@zech_de
 
zech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin
Country: Germany
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Oh god Team Germany sucks. We should just forfeit and not play in these competitions anymore. Sick and tired of seeing our players get destroyed by other teams. What's the point? I feel sorry for our kids.

zech is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 08:53 PM
  #518
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500
Unfortunately could be no where near a TV for the game, and only recently checked out the highlights. Wow was that ever a great shot by Galchenyuk!

Karitimes is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
  #519
domdo345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moe View Post
Oh god Team Germany sucks. We should just forfeit and not play in these competitions anymore. Sick and tired of seeing our players get destroyed by other teams. What's the point? I feel sorry for our kids.
It's strange though because your adult team actually do well in these competitions while you guys are getting destroyed at a junior level.

domdo345 is online now  
Old
12-27-2012, 09:40 PM
  #520
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,703
vCash: 1965
EJ Hradek is terrible. I am shocked NHLN couldn't get a better color guy.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 09:43 PM
  #521
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
It's strange though because your adult team actually do well in these competitions while you guys are getting destroyed at a junior level.
It's not strange. If Germany produce a 3rd line quality player every year for 15 years they will have 15 3rd line NHL quality players to put into a team, but they will only have 2 or 3 to put on a U20 team.

If the US produces 20 3rd line quality players every year then they will have over 200 3rd line NHL quality players but they will still only be able to field 23 of them to go against Germany's senior team of 15. They will however have a full team to go against Germany's 2 or 3 at the U20 level.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
  #522
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,245
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
This seems like something that be right up NBCSports alley.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=607443
Quote:
NEW YORK, NY / COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. NHL Network U.S. and USA Hockey have agreed to a long-term extension of their media contract that will keep the Network as the exclusive television and streaming home for the International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship in the United States through the 2018 event.

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 10:56 PM
  #523
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moe View Post
Oh god Team Germany sucks. We should just forfeit and not play in these competitions anymore. Sick and tired of seeing our players get destroyed by other teams. What's the point? I feel sorry for our kids.
You shouldn't feel bad for them. It's most certainly still an amazing experience. Not as amazing as playing these games in front of packed crowds as in North America, but still an amazing experience. They have nothing to lose in those games against Canada, USA or Russia. When they can make one of those games somwhat close, that's an amazing accomplishment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
It's strange though because your adult team actually do well in these competitions while you guys are getting destroyed at a junior level.
Yes, and no. The differences become more negligible as you get to higher levels. Realistically, with all NHL players, I suppose that the top nations are still just as far away from us at an Olympic tournament as they are in the World Juniors, but there's a lot more you can get out of such grown men tactically to make it close. Those can fight, and do it a lot more disciplined and strategically sound than these kids can, and once every blue moon we end up winning one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It's not strange. If Germany produce a 3rd line quality player every year for 15 years they will have 15 3rd line NHL quality players to put into a team, but they will only have 2 or 3 to put on a U20 team.

If the US produces 20 3rd line quality players every year then they will have over 200 3rd line NHL quality players but they will still only be able to field 23 of them to go against Germany's senior team of 15. They will however have a full team to go against Germany's 2 or 3 at the U20 level.
I think that's a decent point, as well.

Vipers31 is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
  #524
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,982
vCash: 500
The German kids were out classed today. Brutal. I found myself wincing at points.

Pizza is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 12:19 AM
  #525
ToursLepantoVienna
Registered User
 
ToursLepantoVienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country:
Posts: 2,012
vCash: 500
About as good a result as could be expected. Real test is tomorrow, of course.

Wonder if changes will be made to Miller's line, or if the coaching staff are still expecting them to gel.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.