HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 27 • United States 8, Germany 0

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 01:37 PM
ndd17

vCash: 500
How did Mike Reilly look?

Old
12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Miller needs to stop channeling Kyle Palmieri and give the puck up less.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd17 View Post
How did Mike Reilly look?
I thought he looked good. Skated well and made accurate passes.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:07 PM
EveryDay

After watching 50 out of 60 minutes(miss the last 10 minutes) i would rate the forward and the defenceman in this order

Top 5 Forward today

1-Galchenyuk
2-Kuraly
3-Hartman
4-Barber
5-Pietila

Defenceman in order

1-Trouba
2-Rielly
3-Ghost
4-Jones
5-Murphy
6-McCabe

Old
12-27-2012, 02:22 PM
theboss*

How many mins did Gally play in the third?

Old
12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Sean Monahan
Moewny

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
How many mins did Gally play in the third?
None

ZOMG HIT THE PANIC BUTTON

Old
12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Nash

I'm impressed with Housley's coaching decisions thus far. Putting Kuralay on the top line was very smart. His speed meshes well with the other two. Galchenyuk was far and away the best player on the ice. Really good chemistry there. D pairings were good and the checking line was already set in the exhibition games. They weren't needed today. Resting Gibson was a good idea. He only faced a challenge on the 5 on 3's, so he will be well rested for Russia. The only knock on Phil is that I think he needs to split up the supposed top line. Miller has not looked good in three games and the line doesn't work well together. Sure JT had a nice screen, along with two Germans , but his goal was an awkward jam on a bad turnover. Maybe Trochek would work better with Rocco and Johnny. Miller, Lucia and Biggs could play a better forechecking game.

Jones was pretty shaky in his U20 debut, but his skills are clearly evident. You could tell he was just making poor decisions on the big stage due to butterflies. It's good he got them out today. Those turnovers would hurt more against Russia than Germany.

I feel pretty bad for Germany. The one thing that made them at all competitive yesterday was their legs. Canada beat them on their poor coverage, but at least they could skate. They had no legs today, except for 7-10 minutes at the end of the first. Poor coverage and no legs is not a good combination. USA picked them apart, but Germany helped them out with some atrocious turnovers and looked to me like they did as good a job screening their own goalie as USA did. Draisaitl was the lone standout today. I don't think Trautman played any better than Cupper, but the team just didn't have any gas left. I saw it on the first PK. Yesterday, Germany was very aggressive on the puck carrier. Today they were so passive it looked like a different squad. Good luck to them in the relegation against Latvia because I don't see them beating Slovakia.

Tomorrow's game against Russia will be a real test. Housley rolled all the lines and kept Galchenyuk on the bench a bit more after the first. I hope they don't suffer the fatigue we saw the Germans had today. It should be a great game.

Good job today USA.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:42 PM
ndd17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Good job today USA.
Agreed 100%

Old
12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm impressed with Housley's coaching decisions thus far. Putting Kuralay on the top line was very smart. His speed meshes well with the other two. Galchenyuk was far and away the best player on the ice. Really good chemistry there. D pairings were good and the checking line was already set in the exhibition games. They weren't needed today. Resting Gibson was a good idea. He only faced a challenge on the 5 on 3's, so he will be well rested for Russia. The only knock on Phil is that I think he needs to split up the supposed top line. Miller has not looked good in three games and the line doesn't work well together. Sure JT had a nice screen, along with two Germans , but his goal was an awkward jam on a bad turnover. Maybe Trochek would work better with Rocco and Johnny. Miller, Lucia and Biggs could play a better forechecking game.

Jones was pretty shaky in his U20 debut, but his skills are clearly evident. You could tell he was just making poor decisions on the big stage due to butterflies. It's good he got them out today. Those turnovers would hurt more against Russia than Germany.

I feel pretty bad for Germany. The one thing that made them at all competitive yesterday was their legs. Canada beat them on their poor coverage, but at least they could skate. They had no legs today, except for 7-10 minutes at the end of the first. Poor coverage and no legs is not a good combination. USA picked them apart, but Germany helped them out with some atrocious turnovers and looked to me like they did as good a job screening their own goalie as USA did. Draisaitl was the lone standout today. I don't think Trautman played any better than Cupper, but the team just didn't have any gas left. I saw it on the first PK. Yesterday, Germany was very aggressive on the puck carrier. Today they were so passive it looked like a different squad. Good luck to them in the relegation against Latvia because I don't see them beating Slovakia.

Tomorrow's game against Russia will be a real test. Housley rolled all the lines and kept Galchenyuk on the bench a bit more after the first. I hope they don't suffer the fatigue we saw the Germans had today. It should be a great game.

Good job today USA.
Very well put man.

Gally very well could be the 2nd best player in the tournament behind RNH. I still believe he is better than Yakupov.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
After watching 50 out of 60 minutes(miss the last 10 minutes) i would rate the forward and the defenceman in this order

Top 5 Forward today

1-Galchenyuk
2-Kuraly
3-Hartman
4-Barber
5-Pietila

Defenceman in order

1-Trouba
2-Rielly
3-Ghost
4-Jones
5-Murphy
6-McCabe
Rielly plays for Canada. Reilly plays for USA.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:

Good job today USA.
Yep, totally agree. Can't wait for the game tomorrow. I'm looking forward to Canada and Slovakia also. That could be a better game than people are predicting. Canada takes it though.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:31 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It's a shame NBC doesn't pick this tournament up.
This seems like something that be right up NBCSports alley.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
MrWilson

Um...well, Germany really didn't show up. Surprised it wasn't 15-0. There were moments where you were wondering whether all the black jerseys had simply left the ice. All in all, I'd say it wasn't the best game to be evaluating performance of individual players on the US side. The next one should be much better though...

Old
12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
domon

EJ Hradek just keeps talking...

Old
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Yep, totally agree. Can't wait for the game tomorrow. I'm looking forward to Canada and Slovakia also. That could be a better game than people are predicting. Canada takes it though.
Yeah I'm not expecting to walk over Slovakia... they're pretty underrated.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Miller needs to stop channeling Kyle Palmieri and give the puck up less.
Still have that chip on your shoulders, I see.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:49 PM
zech
@zech_de

Oh god Team Germany sucks. We should just forfeit and not play in these competitions anymore. Sick and tired of seeing our players get destroyed by other teams. What's the point? I feel sorry for our kids.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Unfortunately could be no where near a TV for the game, and only recently checked out the highlights. Wow was that ever a great shot by Galchenyuk!

Old
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moe View Post
Oh god Team Germany sucks. We should just forfeit and not play in these competitions anymore. Sick and tired of seeing our players get destroyed by other teams. What's the point? I feel sorry for our kids.
It's strange though because your adult team actually do well in these competitions while you guys are getting destroyed at a junior level.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:40 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
EJ Hradek is terrible. I am shocked NHLN couldn't get a better color guy.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
It's strange though because your adult team actually do well in these competitions while you guys are getting destroyed at a junior level.
It's not strange. If Germany produce a 3rd line quality player every year for 15 years they will have 15 3rd line NHL quality players to put into a team, but they will only have 2 or 3 to put on a U20 team.

If the US produces 20 3rd line quality players every year then they will have over 200 3rd line NHL quality players but they will still only be able to field 23 of them to go against Germany's senior team of 15. They will however have a full team to go against Germany's 2 or 3 at the U20 level.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
This seems like something that be right up NBCSports alley.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=607443
Quote:
NEW YORK, NY / COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. NHL Network U.S. and USA Hockey have agreed to a long-term extension of their media contract that will keep the Network as the exclusive television and streaming home for the International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship in the United States through the 2018 event.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moe View Post
You shouldn't feel bad for them. It's most certainly still an amazing experience. Not as amazing as playing these games in front of packed crowds as in North America, but still an amazing experience. They have nothing to lose in those games against Canada, USA or Russia. When they can make one of those games somwhat close, that's an amazing accomplishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Yes, and no. The differences become more negligible as you get to higher levels. Realistically, with all NHL players, I suppose that the top nations are still just as far away from us at an Olympic tournament as they are in the World Juniors, but there's a lot more you can get out of such grown men tactically to make it close. Those can fight, and do it a lot more disciplined and strategically sound than these kids can, and once every blue moon we end up winning one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It's not strange. If Germany produce a 3rd line quality player every year for 15 years they will have 15 3rd line NHL quality players to put into a team, but they will only have 2 or 3 to put on a U20 team.

If the US produces 20 3rd line quality players every year then they will have over 200 3rd line NHL quality players but they will still only be able to field 23 of them to go against Germany's senior team of 15. They will however have a full team to go against Germany's 2 or 3 at the U20 level.
I think that's a decent point, as well.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Pizza

The German kids were out classed today. Brutal. I found myself wincing at points.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:19 AM
ToursLepantoVienna

About as good a result as could be expected. Real test is tomorrow, of course.

Wonder if changes will be made to Miller's line, or if the coaching staff are still expecting them to gel.

Closed Thread