Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 01:25 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
I have Konecny higher than Korostelev right now thats for sure. Konecny makes everyone on the ice better. Korostelev does not. Korostelev Im still questioning how he plays in his own end, its not as important now as it is in the OHL and even more important in the OHL playoffs. Defense wins games, especially playoffs games. Just ask the Washington Capitals. Both are top 10 picks. Konecny is the best playmaker/vision in the draft, in my opinion. But he has an incredible release on his shot. His shot is very dangerous. Im pretty sure Konecny is going to play the Wing next year, not center.

I think Cameron Lizotte might be the first defenseman taken from Ontario. I love this kids compete level.

I like Colton White as a first round pick. His feet are electric and he competes really hard. Vande Sompel disappointed me today, I know he was injured so he deserves a bit of slack.

Niagara Rivermen (Goalie) Kocsis played extremely well against Elgin today, he kept them in the game. I like there Dman to further develop #16, he will be a nice mid round pick.

Elgin: Cole Mayo played extremely well today. Broomhead played a nice physical game today.

Austin Clapham #91 Miss. Rebels impressed me today. So did Rajic and Zeppieri. Zeppieri needs to work on his first 2-3 strides.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:36 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Don Mills F #87 Marner small player with some the best skating out there highly skilled slippery player.
I like him too. He will probably have to prove himself playing full-time with the St Mikes Buzzers, next year. I dont see him making the jump in year 1. I think he is a better player when he shares the puck more. He can play too much as an individual at times. Very elusive and can stop and turn on a dime, lacks top end separation speed. Deadly on breakaways. Bats a ton of pucks out of the air, very good hand-eye co-ordination.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:35 PM
chewerjones

Watched some good and bad hockey today.

Korostolev showed signs of brilliance today, but is still rusty. HE HAS NO SUPPORT AT ALL ON THAT TEAM. NO OTHER FIRST ROUNDER OR 2ND ROUNDER ON TEAM, EXCEPT MAYBE JORDAN.

Marner on the Flyers is probably the most smartest player in the loop, and has deceiving speed and vision and is very unselfish. If he grows like his brother, than he will be a top NHL draft pick. YES GUYS, YOU HEARD IT FROM ME FIRST.

Oakville Rangers impressed tremendously today against Sun County, and they must have been in a coma yesterday against Vaughan. Oakville may have 5 guys drafted in the first round. Spencer, Henley, Capobianco, Mackenzie, and Petawabano, and outside chance for Barwell. Mackenzie was a monster today, and if the Ranger's coaching staff take the leash off big #11, he has the chance of being a top end power forward with speed.

OF ALL 97S PLAYING IN ONTARIO, SPENCER ON THE RANGERS IS THE BEST D IN THE 97 LOOP BY FAR. IF HE KEEPS PLAYING LIKE HE DID TODAY, HE MAY BE RANKED HIGHER THAN KONECNY AND KOROSTOLEV. I BELIEVE THAT HE MAY BE MORE OF AN OFFENSIVE THREAT THAN MCKEOWN LAST YEAR. TODAY HE MADE END TO END RUSHES THAT WERE UNSTOPPABLE AND "MCDAVID LIKE".

Elgin struggled in the first game (hot goalie), but impressed in the 2nd game. Konecny is a star and "compete" is his middle name, but I still believe that he has alot more of a supporting staff( Crousse, Kim, coyle, worrad, Mayo) than Korsotolev (jordan) has.

London was ok today, and Szypula was their best player, with White a close 2nd.

Last edited by chewerjones: 12-27-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 06:31 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Korostolev showed signs of brilliance today, but is still rusty. HE HAS NO SUPPORT AT ALL ON THAT TEAM. NO OTHER FIRST ROUNDER OR 2ND ROUNDER ON TEAM, EXCEPT MAYBE JORDAN.

Marner on the Flyers is probably the most smartest player in the loop, and has deceiving speed and vision and is very unselfish. If he grows like his brother, than he will be a top NHL draft pick. YES GUYS, YOU HEARD IT FROM ME FIRST.

OF ALL 97S PLAYING IN ONTARIO, SPENCER ON THE RANGERS IS THE BEST D IN THE 97 LOOP BY FAR. IF HE KEEPS PLAYING LIKE HE DID TODAY, HE MAY BE RANKED HIGHER THAN KONECNY AND KOROSTOLEV. I BELIEVE THAT HE MAY BE MORE OF AN OFFENSIVE THREAT THAN MCKEOWN LAST YEAR. TODAY HE MADE END TO END RUSHES THAT WERE UNSTOPPABLE AND "MCDAVID LIKE".
Zach Wilkie #3 on the JR Canadiens is most likely a second round pick in this draft, So i disagree with u on that JR canadiens point. But I do agree that team lacks depth in a big way. Sharipov #88 is an interesting prospect in my opinion and so is Will Lawrence#27, not in the first 2 rounds though.

Noah Jordan Im not big on this player. He is 6-5 and plays very soft. He avoids physical confrontation alot. IVe seen smaller guys toss him around. His size is very appealing for some teams if they think they can develop other parts of his game. I dont see him being productive in the OHL in next year.

Korostelev is invisible without the puck on his stick, makes little impact in his own zone. His sniping abilites are best Ive seen but u have to consider the 200 feet game isnt there. I got carried away yesterday suggesting he could go #2, I dont see it happening. Its still early though. No way Id take him at #2 if the draft was tomorrow. Top 10 yes.

Matthew Spencer I feel similar about him as u do. He reminds me so much of Roland MCkeown its not even funny. Mckeown was more consistent than Spencer on a game to game basis, but the skating and stick skills, the poise, the positioning are unbelieveable. He and Lizotte are 2 of my favourites.

Blake Speers may be the fastest skater available in the draft. He was being heavily scouted this morning by a few OHL gm's who were talking about him. Speers is a first round pick no doubt.

Im on the opposite end than u are about Marner. If he was 6-0 he would be a first round pick, sad but true. I commented above about him, thats how I see him. The opinions on this player vary greatly from one person to another.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-27-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 06:42 PM
KillerHockey

Thunder Bay Kings

Did anybody els watch the Thunder Bay Kings play Whitby and Oshawa. They say number #7 Grzweleski and #16 McKay are first rounders any thoughts? I like number 9 Hamlin he hits skates really well and had a lot of chance in both games also #4 Thrower

Old
12-27-2012, 07:01 PM
mapleleaf979

I missed the JR canadiens game in the morning. I heard alot of positives about the Markham Waxers goalie, apparently he stood on his head in that morning game. It be nice if i could split myself in 2 for this tourney. Information overload for me at times. A few players stock is dropping like a stone after being a top 1-2 round pick earlier in the year.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Garyboy

On the '98 side of the tournament, the Moscow Selects beat the Marlies 3-1 this morning. They have some very big and skilled forwards that are a handful to deal with. Their captain is a little dynamo. Incredibly shifty with great hands. Had the winner against the Marlies, and a hat trick in a 7-2 win over South Central. Fun team to watch. St Louis, Honeybaked, and Comcast also looked very strong. Didn't get a chance to watch the Jr. Canadians.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
On the '98 side of the tournament, the Moscow Selects beat the Marlies 3-1 this morning. They have some very big and skilled forwards that are a handful to deal with. Their captain is a little dynamo. Incredibly shifty with great hands. Had the winner against the Marlies, and a hat trick in a 7-2 win over South Central. Fun team to watch. St Louis, Honeybaked, and Comcast also looked very strong. Didn't get a chance to watch the Jr. Canadians.
Thanks for that Garyboy. Hopefully all those teams are in the final 8. MOscow sounds like they handled the 98's. Anyone stand out on the Marlies? Muzzi, Smith or Mcleod. The Bantam Tourney shifts from Canlan York to Canlan Etobicoke in the quarters I believe. Honeybaked play the JR canadiens tomorrow at 12:45. Honeybaked havent given up a goal yet.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Thanks for that Garyboy. Hopefully all those teams are in the final 8. MOscow sounds like they handled the 98's. Anyone stand out on the Marlies? Muzzi, Smith or Mcleod. The Bantam Tourney shifts from Canlan York to Canlan Etobicoke in the quarters I believe. Honeybaked play the JR canadiens tomorrow at 12:45. Honeybaked havent given up a goal yet.
You're very welcome, Mapleleaf. Macleod and Mizzi looked good. Macleod has explosive speed and good moves. Just couldn't finish. Mizzi is very creative and has a great hockey IQ. I imagine they look that much more dominant when they're up against a more typical Bantam squad than the Moscow Selects.

Yep, the quarters and on will be at Canlan Etobicoke. Here's hoping all the heavyweights make it to the final 8. There are some excellent potential match-ups. Saturday night should be a lot of fun with the Minor Midget and Bantam quarters.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:29 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Zach Wilkie #3 on the JR Canadiens is most likely a second round pick in this draft, So i disagree with u on that JR canadiens point. But I do agree that team lacks depth in a big way. Sharipov #88 is an interesting prospect in my opinion and so is Will Lawrence#27, not in the first 2 rounds though.

Noah Jordan Im not big on this player. He is 6-5 and plays very soft. He avoids physical confrontation alot. IVe seen smaller guys toss him around. His size is very appealing for some teams if they think they can develop other parts of his game. I dont see him being productive in the OHL in next year.

Korostelev is invisible without the puck on his stick, makes little impact in his own zone. His sniping abilites are best Ive seen but u have to consider the 200 feet game isnt there. I got carried away yesterday suggesting he could go #2, I dont see it happening. Its still early though. No way Id take him at #2 if the draft was tomorrow. Top 10 yes.

Matthew Spencer I feel similar about him as u do. He reminds me so much of Roland MCkeown its not even funny. Mckeown was more consistent than Spencer on a game to game basis, but the skating and stick skills, the poise, the positioning are unbelieveable. He and Lizotte are 2 of my favourites.

Blake Speers may be the fastest skater available in the draft. He was being heavily scouted this morning by a few OHL gm's who were talking about him. Speers is a first round pick no doubt.

Im on the opposite end than u are about Marner. If he was 6-0 he would be a first round pick, sad but true. I commented above about him, thats how I see him. The opinions on this player vary greatly from one person to another.
Jordan will get alot of big looks because of his size and the organization, and will be at least a 2nd round pick.

Wilkie this morning looked like a fish out of water against the Waxers. To me he played like at best, a 4th or 5th rounder.

Speers is a great playmaker, an has good speed, but not as quick as Konecny. He will go to the Soo or Sudbury or North Bay, late firs round if possible, or early 2nd round. His agent and parents should make it happen.

Marner's older brother is 6'1"-6'2" in height, and mom seems to be 5'9". He will grow in a year or two, and if he can maintain his deceiving speed, vision, skill, he will definitely be a top end player.

Lizotte is a big , sturdy , stay at home dman, but I dont think he has the mobility of a Spencer or Henley. But I agree, he will be a first round pick for sure, probably around 12-16.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:24 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Jordan will get alot of big looks because of his size and the organization, and will be at least a 2nd round pick.

Wilkie this morning looked like a fish out of water against the Waxers. To me he played like at best, a 4th or 5th rounder.

Speers is a great playmaker, an has good speed, but not as quick as Konecny. He will go to the Soo or Sudbury or North Bay, late firs round if possible, or early 2nd round. His agent and parents should make it happen.

Marner's older brother is 6'1"-6'2" in height, and mom seems to be 5'9". He will grow in a year or two, and if he can maintain his deceiving speed, vision, skill, he will definitely be a top end player.

Lizotte is a big , sturdy , stay at home dman, but I dont think he has the mobility of a Spencer or Henley. But I agree, he will be a first round pick for sure, probably around 12-16.
Agree Jordan goes late 2nd or early 3rd. Liam Dunda should go before him. What do u think of Dunda?

Wilkie may have had a bad game, I didnt see it. It was also 8am. He is a little inconsistent like most 15 yr olds. He can dominant physically with big hits, tape to tape outlets and his slapshot is a bomb. He isnt polished yet and has good growth potential. He has improved since September. His Feet are above average. I think he goes mid-late 2nd. U can make a good case to suggest he is the best Dman in the GTHL right now. 2-3 others in that arguement including Saban. Wilkie wont make it to the 4th round, no way.

Speers, Konecny, Stephens, Spencer, etc... have very similar top speed. Mid to late first for Speers, right now.

Agreed about Lizotte not having Spencers mobilty or top speed. No one does, best Dman feet in Ontario, hands down, best puck skills too. I think Spencer is clearly high pick than Lizotte. Totally Different Dmen, they would be great together. Lizotte is the top defensive defenseman in my view.
First time I saw Matt Spencer play earlier this year, I instantly thought of Mckeown.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-28-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Agree Jordan goes late 2nd or early 3rd. Liam Dunda should go before him. What do u think of Dunda?

Wilkie may have had a bad game, I didnt see it. It was also 8am. He is a little inconsistent like most 15 yr olds. He can dominant physically with big hits, tape to tape outlets and his slapshot is a bomb. He isnt polished yet and has good growth potential. He has improved since September. His Feet are above average. I think he goes mid-late 2nd. U can make a good case to suggest he is the best Dman in the GTHL right now. 2-3 others in that arguement including Saban. Wilkie wont make it to the 4th round, no way.

Speers, Konecny, Stephens, Spencer, etc... have very similar top speed. Mid to late first for Speers, right now.

Agreed about Lizotte not having Spencers mobilty or top speed. No one does, best Dman feet in Ontario, hands down, best puck skills too. I think Spencer is clearly high pick than Lizotte. Totally Different Dmen, they would be great together. Lizotte is the top defensive defenseman in my view.
First time I saw Matt Spencer play earlier this year, I instantly thought of Mckeown.
You are mentioning Jordan and Dunda as 2nd or 3rd rd picks. Where do Robinson, M. Webb and Avidan go? I prefer these boys.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:11 AM
ontohockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
You are mentioning Jordan and Dunda as 2nd or 3rd rd picks. Where do Robinson, M. Webb and Avidan go? I prefer these boys.
deleted by ontohockey

Last edited by ontohockey: 12-28-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocketnut2 View Post
Did anybody els watch the Thunder Bay Kings play Whitby and Oshawa. They say number #7 Grzweleski and #16 McKay are first rounders any thoughts? I like number 9 Hamlin he hits skates really well and had a lot of chance in both games also #4 Thrower
your not rising anyones stock

Old
12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
In the same area, Robinson and M.Webb should both be in the mid to late 2nd round, very early 3rd. Robinson should go a little earlier than Webb. Webb could turn out more vauluable to me in the long run, he is constant, he is fierce and has the frame to put on another 20lbs which will make his forechecking and physical skill that much more punishing. Webb reminds me of Lindo.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-28-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
In the same area, Robinson and M.Webb should both be in the mid to late 2nd round, very early 3rd. Robinson should go a little earlier than Webb. Webb could turn out more vauluable to me in the long run, he is constant, he is fierce and has the frame to put on another 20lbs which will make his forechecking and physical skill that much more punishing. Webb reminds me of Lindo.
I think Lindo was stronger and faster, Webb has better hands though. I think Robinson has better hands and more speed than Webb. I like Avidan, tough, good speed. Where do you put him?

Old
12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa99 View Post
Some great assessments. I believe that Fregona also fits that backbone profile. Despite his size he plays big. Not afraid to go to the dirty areas and has very good hands.
The GTHL does not post points like the other leagues, not sure why. OHL teams use Rinknet as their primary scouting software. It tracks all stats. According to Rinknet stats, Strome leads team in pts followed by Stephens, Fregona, Webb and Robinson. Strome is reAlly lighting it up.
Dylan Strome is the real deal just like his brother. I believe he is a can't miss. He can carry a team on his shoulders.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I think Lindo was stronger and faster, Webb has better hands though. I think Robinson has better hands and more speed than Webb. I like Avidan, tough, good speed. Where do you put him?
I agree with u 100%. Robinson is also less consistent than Lindo or Webb. Lindo was built like a 25 yr old. Lindo's work ethic was incredible to watch. He literally never took a shift off, he stood tall in chippy games and came to his team-mates aid. Lindo had everyones back. All your points are bang on. Avidan 2nd rounder.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Dylan Strome is the real deal just like his brother. I believe he is a can't miss. He can carry a team on his shoulders.
Agreed. Uses his body better than anyone. Like Sam Bennett using his full wing span to drive wide and protect the puck. Strome and Konecny to me are the best playmakers in the draft. Strome wont jump out with the flashy style, its a productive north/south game, STrome can mesh with anyone. His IQ is arguably the highest. Strome and Dal Colle could switch jerseys and no one would know.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Did you catch the captains name?

Old
12-28-2012, 03:12 PM
KillerHockey

I'm not trying to raise anyone stock here.

I asked a simple question, I though Thunder Bay Kings forward 7 and 16 were really good just wondered what anyone else though. # 4 had good puck control and vision #9 was very physical and skated really well with lots of speed and had a hard shot.

Last edited by KillerHockey: 12-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Did you catch the captains name?
Valerii Naumenko. Great player.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:24 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocketnut2 View Post
I'm not trying to raise anyone stock here.

I asked a simple question, I though Thunder Bay Kings forward 7 and 16 were really good just wondered what anyone else though. # 4 had good puck control and vision #9 was very physical and skated really well with lots of speed and had a hard shot.
I also like #7 Grzelewski, #16 Mckay , #9 Hamlin, #4 Thrower, #3 Behse. All on them are on OHL scouts radar. Behse is flying under the radar. Post whatever u see, the more the better.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Agreed. Uses his body better than anyone. Like Sam Bennett using his full wing span to drive wide and protect the puck. Strome and Konecny to me are the best playmakers in the draft. Strome wont jump out with the flashy style, its a productive north/south game, STrome can mesh with anyone. His IQ is arguably the highest. Strome and Dal Colle could switch jerseys and no one would know.
Hey Guys, watched the Marlies again today to try and see what you guys are seeing, but it just isnt there for me. They struggled for most of the game against a weak team, and then picked it up late in the 2nd period.

Strome is like Dal Colle, but not as good. Dal Colle was the star in every one of his games, and was very noticeable. Strome to me is invisible most of the time. His skating is avg, and he is a good playmaker, but thats where it ends for me. Strome gets alot of notice because of his last name.

Stephens showed some signs of speed and brilliance but nowhere close to a top 10 selection.

Konecny today against Central Ontario was a MONSTER, and he hit everything in site, and set up many plays. He didnt stop all game, and competed at a level not seen in Minor Midget for awhile. TODAY, HE WON MY VOTE AS DEFINITELY TOP RANKED PROSPECT IN MM. I STILL THINK KOROSTOLEV IS NECK AND NECK WITH KONECNY, BUT JUST HAS TO PLAY A BIT MORE, GIVEN HIS INJURY, AND HE HAS TO DO ALOT MORE THAN KONECNY, BECAUSE OF THE LIMITED SUPPORTING STAFF.

The Dman- Burns on Oakville is quite impressive. He can skate, has vision and isnt a liability in his own end. I can see him as a late 2nd round pick.

Today, Lizotte didnt impress, and was schooled a few times while on the ice and behind the net. He was soft on the puck and allowed two wrap around goals. He has the size, speed and vision to be 1st rounder, but I believe he needs some top end coaching. It could be because of the limited talent with the northern teams.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:01 PM
mapleleaf979

I love the fan/family support for PEAC Russia. The full size flag being waved, the passion they have is unbelieveable. Incredible to see that Patriotism and love of the game from any country. The tradition of hand shakes before the game with the gloves off to player and coaching staff, its fantastic.

Closed Thread