HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How accurate is this theory?

Old
12-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
How accurate is this theory?

Alright, now this is more or less just a light hearted and fun thread so relax, but there has long been a theory between a friend of mine and I that Canada usually wins the World Junior with a black player. My friend and I joke and call it the important "brother quotient". This is why I subconciously don't worry about Malcolm Subban's first game vs. Germany. He'll be fine. Plus it was 9-3 for crying out loud.

Canada wins these tournaments when someone like Dale Craigwell is in there. Then there was Iginla, then Jason Doig. Then an all-white cast in 1999 during a very frigid tournament in Winnipeg where snow swept across the nation in a way I haven't seen in 15 years. We lose in overtime.

Then 2005 arrives. Shawn Belle, Anthony Stewart. Followed up by the likes of Wayne Simmonds, PK Subban, Evander Kane, etc. We win a bunch of times. Then nothing (from what I remember although I could be wrong) in 2010, 2011, 2012. We get Subban in 2013. Can this be the year we get it back? Or is our theory just a little far fetched?

I realize there are a couple years where we had someone like Anthony Stewart in 2004 and still lost but from my "studies" (I use that word loosely in this case) it is in the minority (no pun intended )

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Tusk

Devante Smith-Pelly was on the team last year so it's not accurate.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:11 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
LOL this is so random

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Cam98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Devante Smith-Pelly was on the team last year so it's not accurate.
wasn't he injured before tournament started?

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
wasn't he injured before tournament started?
That is correct, and I remember we (my close friend and I) were a little nervous about that in a half joking type of way. Saying something along the lines of "he was our key". Well maybe it was just a silly curse but Scott Wedgewood sure made our fears become real

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote