Should NCAA get rid of these garbage bowl games when

Old
12-27-2012, 02:09 PM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Diver View Post
people gripe about them yet they keep watching them, the New Mexico Bowl outdrew the basketball game between then #1 Indiana vs Butler 1.9 vs 1.5 in the ratings
TBH, I don't think anyone cares about regular season basketball, once the tourney and gambling starts up, sure.

As for the garbage bowls, the NCAA cares most about money, so they aren't going away.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:15 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

And for what it's worth, only a person who doesn't understand sports or life has a problem with the "garbage bowls".

"Oh no, someone somewhere will play an exhibition game of football that nobody forces me to watch, the injustice of it all."

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't mind it on as background noise while doing post-Christmas things. I'd probably pay more attention if I was guaranteed good teams playing

Old
12-27-2012, 10:41 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

My biggest gripe is not the games themselves but the commercialization of it. But there's $$ to be made...

Nobody here actually thinks the so-called "garbage bowls" have any prestige whatsoever. I don't think anyone thinks of the New Mexico Bowl as some great prize to be won...it's just a game with a name. That's all. Everyone who watches knows what the important games are, and attaches significance to winning those games. So let the kids have their 15 minutes of fame, the existence of these exhibition games do nothing to diminish the prestige of the Rose Bowl, or the Cotton Bowl, or the Sugar Bowl, etc.

And besides, it's not like college football is the only sport that allows mediocre teams to play in the postseason. Basketball has the NIT and now myriads of even lesser tourneys...so basically the best of the not-so-great teams get to duke it out...and I don't think many people have an issue with it.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:26 AM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

Every single bowl game is a scam. It really is a Mythical National Championship. How many times in the last 10 years can the consensus is that the two best teams in the country were playing for it and there hasnt been any controversy? Not many.

BlameUtley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:27 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Every single bowl game is a scam. It really is a Mythical National Championship. How many times in the last 10 years can the consensus is that the two best teams in the country were playing for it and there hasnt been any controversy? Not many.
Lets see.

2002: 1. Miami (Fl) vs 2. Ohio State
2005: 1. USC vs 2. Texas
2009: 1. Alabama vs 2. Texas (Cincinnati, TCU, and Boise St were undefeated as well)
2010: 1. Auburn vs 2. Oregon (TCU undefeated)

Only 4 times it seems.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Hockeyfan02

If people don't like the smaller bowl games then all they have to do is not watch. That's what I do. If there's a matchup I'm interested in like UCLA/Baylor I'll watch, I'm probably not going to watch Ole Miss/Northwestern because it doesn't interest me. I don't see the harm in some guys getting another chance to impress scouts or for some seniors that aren't going pro one last road trip with their team. I doubt they'll go away when the playoff system starts up.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:47 PM
G F O P
Registered Baller

Which is what I've been doing

Haven't seen one bowl game so far and don't intend to until next year

The BCS bowls are also pretty bad, so there could be a realistic chance I might only watch the NC game from start to finish

As much a fan I am of the college football game, the bowl system just makes it extremely difficult to care about many of these teams. I simply have no interest in watching any of the games

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote