HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Canada 6, Slovakia 3 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 06:54 AM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
So drawing two penalties (which Canada scored on both I believe), a game winning goal, an assist, and a positive +/- is an awful game? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on who was a player of a game, but saying Scheifele had an awful game is just flat out wrong .
It helps playing with RNH and Huberdeau. He turned the puck over A LOT today. He made a lot of bad decisions. It was a great tip, for sure, but one great play doesn't take away from all the negatives.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:54 AM
StringerBell

Lines I'd like to see next game:

Huberdeau-Nuge-Scheifele
Drouin-Strome-MacKinnon
Rattie-Danault-Ritchie
Camara-McNeill

With Jenner pushing Danault to the 4th line when he comes back.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:55 AM
district9

Canadian fans talking about the officiating is a joke. Yeah, the second major was a bad call but it wasn't atrocious and if it was called the other way you'd see far less complaining. The two flops were garbage and deserve to be called out. It's too bad they won't though.

It was disgusting hearing that the flopping was "effective" or a "good sell". There should be no selling from any team.

Canada would have came back and won that game with or without the flopping, they should realize they are by far the most talented team and don't need to resort to playing dirty. I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for saying anything negative about the Canadian team since I'm American, but it's obvious that there's a discipline problem with this team after watching every game they've played so far. They could easily steamroll through the competition based on talent alone, but there's no discipline and they're obviously overlooking teams in the early going. Then if they fall behind they resort to the cheap tactics. It's garbage and needs to be eliminated from our game.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:56 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
Canadian fans talking about the officiating is a joke. Yeah, the second major was a bad call but it wasn't atrocious and if it was called the other way you'd see far less complaining. The two flops were garbage and deserve to be called out. It's too bad they won't though.

It was disgusting hearing that the flopping was "effective" or a "good sell". There should be no selling from any team.

Canada would have came back and won that game with or without the flopping, they should realize they are by far the most talented team and don't need to resort to playing dirty. I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for saying anything negative about the Canadian team since I'm American, but it's obvious that there's a discipline problem with this team after watching every game they've played so far. They could easily steamroll through the competition based on talent alone, but there's no discipline and they're obviously overlooking teams in the early going. Then if they fall behind they resort to the cheap tactics. It's garbage and needs to be eliminated from our game.
This post is full of fail. You don't think we called out those dives? Read the thread for Christ's sake.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Hopkins, Huberdeau and Scheifele underwhelmed. For me Scheifele was easily the worst player on the ice, second would be Murphy. No idea how he got gamestar. For forwards Strome was very good, actually finishing on his chances unlike so many others. Drouin-MacKinnon looked good near the end of the game, hope Spott keeps them together.

Ouellet was the best player for Canada IMO, such a solid defenseman. Not the fastest skater or the most talented but gets the most out of his skillset because of his great hockey sense. Directly involved, and the cause of two goals for Team Canada. Rielly was good too, but Ouellet was superior to him outside of statistics.

Really hope for our sake that Binnington gets the start versus the US. Subban hasn't looked good since he left Belleville, and that's playing games against teams like UofA, Germany, Slovakia; I don't want to see him face shots from the top teams in the tournament playing the way he has.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:58 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Canada played bad for a lot of the game. If we play like that against the US and Russia we will lose. Why should Scheifele, or any player for that matter, be immune to criticism?
Scheifele is only getting **** on because he got player of the game

Old
12-28-2012, 07:00 AM
stug*

I have to give it to the canadiens. You play hard and you got the slovakian players scared.
Gotta respect that

Old
12-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:

A game where the officiating had a major role on the outcome, and you're surprised it's a topic of conversation?

If the officiating was competent, the dive would have been called. Then again, the little Slovakian dude should keep his stick down - it was clearly an attempt to deliver some sort of payback, no matter how weak it was, for a hit delivered earlier. The ref penalized that more than anything.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:02 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I'm not going to argue with you. In my opinion Scheifele was not good today. I've seen what he can do when he's on, today he wasn't on. I voiced my opinion, which is what this forum is for, and I'm done now.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Haters going to hate, I guess.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
I'd like all fans to acknowledge the godliness that is Morgan Reilly.
That might be over the top he is a good prospect though

Old
12-28-2012, 07:25 AM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
This post is full of fail. You don't think we called out those dives? Read the thread for Christ's sake.
Some of you have obviously, others have not. The commentators on TV seemed to applaud the diving "good sell", "effective" etc. etc. It's a joke that it's being accepted by anyone.

Quote:
A game where the officiating had a major role on the outcome, and you're surprised it's a topic of conversation?
I'm not surprised it's a conversation, I'm surprised at how Canadians are swinging it as if they got the short end of the stick. There were bad calls both ways but it CLEARLY went Canada's way.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:27 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Some of you have obviously, others have not. The commentators on TV seemed to applaud the diving "good sell", "effective" etc. etc. It's a joke that it's being accepted by anyone.

I'm not surprised it's a conversation, I'm surprised at how Canadians are swinging it as if they got the short end of the stick. There were bad calls both ways but it CLEARLY went Canada's way.
The two ejections beg to differ

Old
12-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Ari91

Wasn't able to watch the game but I did catch the highlights. Camara's hit was clean and I'll be surprised if he gets further discipline though I don't pay enough attention to know whether there's a history of punishing clean hits if they result in injury to the opposing player.

Subban in net doesn't make me comfortable. With two regulation wins, Canada is pretty much a lock to advance and the remaining games will determine their placement in the elimination round so why not give Binnington another chance? No knock on Subban but in the spirit of competition, these guys should be fighting for their spot in every game and I don't think Subban has played well enough that a guy like Binnington (who played a solid and confident game against Sweden) shouldn't get another shot.

Canada has been known to play on the edge but they need to figure out what is and isn't acceptable and work within that otherwise they're going to be in a world of hurt if they have discipline issues against a team like the US and Russia.

Only time will tell if Team Canada really is a work in progress or maybe their past two games are a result of not underestimating their competition. Win or lose, they usually have better performances against teams like the US, Russia and Sweden.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:30 AM
district9

Quote:
The two ejections beg to differ
The first was 100% warranted and he should be suspended. The other is iffy but I'd agree that it was a bad call on an ejection, should have been 2 mins at most. Still, that's really one bad call that went against Canada.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Qrispy

Quote:

It was effective. Did you see Scheifele dive around at any other time or in any other game? The answer is no. He also took his fair share of abuse from Slovakian players which went uncalled.

And it didn't "clearly" go Canada's way. Canada was the superior team and was expected to win but the Slovaks gave them a run for their money for some time. Two majors and two ejections. Ya, that's totally going our way.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:37 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
It was effective. Did you see Scheifele dive around at any other time or in any other game? The answer is no. He also took his fair share of abuse from Slovakian players which went uncalled.

And it didn't "clearly" go Canada's way. Canada was the superior team and was expected to win but the Slovaks gave them a run for their money for some time. Two majors and two ejections. Ya, that's totally going our way.
So what you're saying is that his diving was okay because it was effective (I certainly agree with that) and that because the Slovak players "abused" him?

Old
12-28-2012, 07:41 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Great. We're seriously going to go through this until Canada's next game. I couldn't watch the game because I was at work, but suffice it to say it was "controversial" to people. I did see the highlight of the Camara hit, and that didn't warrant an ejection.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Ari91

Quote:
The first was 100% warranted and he should be suspended. The other is iffy but I'd agree that it was a bad call on an ejection, should have been 2 mins at most. Still, that's really one bad call that went against Canada.
From what I read, Canada earned two power plays because players 'dived' on two occasions.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the game so I could be wrong and there could have been more but if it was two bad calls due to diving, then you're saying that two power plays for a total of four minutes and up to 2 goals being scored is better than a power play that is a total of five minutes where you can score an unlimited number of goals in that time frame?

Old
12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
So what you're saying is that his diving was okay because it was effective (I certainly agree with that) and that because the Slovak players "abused" him?
Did I say it was okay? I said it was effective, which it was. I'm not a fan of diving and hope he doesn't do it again but the way things were going for Canada, I could see why he would. And yes, a Slovak player checked him and it was clear interference but it wasn't called.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Paralyzer008

Hoping next game we see...

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Danault-Strome-Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Ritchie
Camara-McNeill-(maybe) Lipon

At this point, Subban is the starter, so we will have to just hope he plays well

Old
12-28-2012, 07:55 AM
scotian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post

The hit on his knee was lucky it didn`t cause further injury and he was flattened without the puck on a couple of occasions but hey this isn`t a game for sissies, is it. A clean hit that relults in an injury is unfortunate and that Slovak player who laid on the ice after the Lipon hit which was a penalty scored the goal on the powerplay and didn`t miss a shift. Glad he has such recovery powers.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Danault-Strome-Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Ritchie

At this point, Subban is the starter, so we will have to just hope he plays well
I'd say swtich Rattie and Ritchie but other than that, I'd say that's what we'll see.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:56 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Danault-Strome-Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Ritchie

Mods, delete his post. This is no longer a thread for projected lines. We must all discuss the rampant diving and the Camara hit.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:01 AM
StringerBell

Camara escapes any punishment as per Duthie. Good news!

Closed Thread