HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2012, 10:07 AM
  #501
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
So how come d-men have been crosschecking opponents at the crease virtually unpunished for decades then? It's not black or white by any means.

And late hits are not allowed in the rulebook either. Those are called interference. There are no clean late hits either.
I know late hits are illegal. The act of hitting is not and unless its an absolute blantant late hit/charge/board its not going to have the book thrown at it regardless of injury.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:12 AM
  #502
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I know late hits are illegal. The act of hitting is not and unless its an absolute blantant late hit/charge/board its not going to have the book thrown at it regardless of injury.
Well Jenner's hit was blatant late hit.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:15 AM
  #503
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Well Jenner's hit was blatant late hit.
And he got his due punishment.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:15 AM
  #504
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
And he got his due punishment.
Indeed.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:53 AM
  #505
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
The Chara hit on MaxPac was cheap and unnecessary, but there was nothing in the book that made it a penalty and nothing in the supplementary discipline language that warranted suspension. Don't know which thread you dug that out of, but if you look, I think you'd find that my posts in threads immediately after it happened were pretty (compared to other Bruins fans) sympathetic to Pac. It just wasn't against the rules. Chara SHOULD have known better and SHOULD have respected Max and SHOULDN'T have made the hit, but there was no explicit language (which differentiates the Jenner case) forbidding it.

Now go back and look up what I said about the Marchand hit on Salo. I called it cheap and I said it warranted a suspension, because 1) That kind of hit is against the written rules and 2) It resulted in an injury which is one criteria for supplementary discipline.

And I'm sure you can find a whole lot of Bruins fans who will tell you I don't side with the Bruins on every penalty call/non-call out of homer loyalty. I call out Bruins players very frequently for plays I think warrant it. That's the thing, I try to base my opinion on the actual play, not the laundry of the player.
Ummm interference? You know, the exact same infraction that Boone Jenner committed?

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:42 PM
  #506
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 807

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:03 PM
  #507
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,192
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
1 or 2, not 3.

No suspension is ridiculous, we're not all homers there buddy.

__________________

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:12 PM
  #508
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
That's a nice hat.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:07 PM
  #509
behemolari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
It's funny how the same EXACT hit occurred with about 2:30 remaining in the second period where the Swedish dman received a hit from the forechecking Canadian player into the end boards yet he got up and play continued with no call. Boone the Goon should have maybe been penalised 2 minutes but just because the kid got hurt he gets suspended, that's the sucky part.
really don't know.. this boonerguy hitted really hard with terrible late timing at the practise, that's the sucky part. i would gladly see him suspended whole WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Well Jenner's hit was blatant late hit.
last year blindshot against maatta at the first game which ended his season, now blatant hit at the practisegame against petterson out for season, maybe even more. totally unneeded! really hate this dirty cheap guy and his intentions. he can throw tackle for sure, but shame for his country and his team.


Last edited by behemolari: 12-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.
behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:23 PM
  #510
behemolari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
But he must have known he was going in for a late if hit. If he can't tell the difference between late hits and legal hits on the ice, then this guy should not play hockey. The same goes for running the red lights while driving.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arz1 View Post
No matter what these "tough canadians" here say, similiar hit in todays NHL would have resulted to a 2-3 game suspension, for repeat offender maybe even more. Just accept it.
i was expecting him not to play in juniors anymore, i'm shocked he will.. now we just to wait and see whos the next one he is going to destroy


Last edited by behemolari: 12-27-2012 at 09:31 PM.
behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:49 PM
  #511
Byrral
Registered User
 
Byrral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post
really don't know.. this boonerguy hitted really hard with terrible late timing at the practise, that's the sucky part. i would gladly see him suspended whole WJC


last year blindshot against maatta at the first game which ended his season, now blatant hit at the practisegame against petterson out for season, maybe even more. totally unneeded! really hate this dirty cheap guy and his intentions. he can throw tackle for sure, but shame for his country and his team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post




i was expecting him not to play in juniors anymore, i'm shocked he will.. now we just to wait and see whos the next one he is going to destroy
I can understand and respect your opinion but I believe you have carried this a little bit overboard. Nobody but he himself will ever know what his intentions were. Either way he has now created a situation that some are considering him a dirty player. And now he may have to adjust his game slightly because he might have put himself under the microscope for everyone to watch him a little more closely. We'll have to wait and see.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
  #512
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
No it wasn't.
Yeah, it almost was. Rome came from the dead centre of the ice while Horton was coming in just inside the left edge of the faceoff circle. As Horton is a RHS and looking left as well, it was almost blindside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Irrelevant with the rule set NHL had at the time.
So "irrelevant" that a committee had already been formed, and tweaks to Rule 48 already being discussed at the time, and Rome still ends up with the longest suspension in Stanley Cup playoff history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
He didn't leave his feet before the contact, leaving his feet because of the momentum was not a factor in NHL's ruling..
Oh, I know what you're saying, and I never claimed it did. It's easy to tell the difference between a guy who just plows through someone shoulder to shoulder and a guy who tries to throw his shoulder through someone's head, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
The two main things were the same in both hits, both were late and both resulted an injury.
Back to Pacioretty, though, and apparently those two facts weren't enough to make them suspend Chara. Obviously there's more to it than just lateness and an injury (because late hits are taken care of in the rules, and "**** happens"?), and I'd say it has a lot more to do with who you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
It wasn't a blindside blow.

"If it was immediately after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit." -Mike Murphy, NHL senior vice-president of hockey ops.
I know it technically wasn't. That's why I said almost. It was very close to fitting the exact definition of the kind of hit the committee had already been meeting about and attempting to eliminate.

Hence the "It’s the longest suspension in the history of the Stanley Cup finals" part. Think that hit (which would "normally" be "legal" according to Murphy) is the worst thing ever deserving of punishment in Stanley Cup history, or do you think recent sensitivity surrounding those kind of hits to the head got factored in like I suggested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Witch hunt?
Haven't seen all the "Jenner shouldn't be allowed to play junior hockey ever again" posters? They're out there. And in here.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:06 PM
  #513
Bomber0104
Boom
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 6,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
It's a travesty I tell you.

I was semi-ok with 1 game tops.

This is like 3 times worse than my worst case scenario.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:15 PM
  #514
behemolari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I can understand and respect your opinion but I believe you have carried this a little bit overboard. Nobody but he himself will ever know what his intentions were. Either way he has now created a situation that some are considering him a dirty player. And now he may have to adjust his game slightly because he might have put himself under the microscope for everyone to watch him a little more closely. We'll have to wait and see.
I can understand and respect your opinion too, the guy is a terrific prospect for a elite power forward and I honestly doubt theres anyone who wouldn't want him to play for his team, but please think this situation fully objective. The guy is proven reapeater on his illegal moves injuring other youngsters. Either he does not understand the rules of game or doesn't respect em, in both cases he shouldn't be allowed to play anymore. I really hope I'm wrong by him and and in the near future.. he is only destroying people by clear hits.

behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:26 PM
  #515
behemolari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post

It isn't like he intentionally was trying to take Petersson out of the game. That's blatant; when it is an obvious targeting of a player and a hit to their head or something.

I think it could have been any Swedish player. Now had there been something between them and he took out Petersson like that, sure I think it could be argued to have been blatant. Had it been someone high profile like Crosby or RNH, maybe you could make that argument too.
someone seriously think is less blatant to take any swedish player than a specific swedish player? i'll take that anyday, don't like them either.. but then again theres the damn rules.


Last edited by behemolari: 12-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.
behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
  #516
behemolari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
From an IIHF point of view, 3 games was the maximum they could give without Canada sending Jenner home and replacing him with some else
- something the officials did NOT want. They wanted to punish him and Canada and set an example...

1 game would be a joke and an embarrassment.

2 games does NOT set an example; he would come back for the American game and only miss Slovakia and Germany. A big yawn.

3 games hurts and punishes Canada.

4 games would result in him being sent home/replaced and that defeats the purpose.


Whether we Canadians like it or not, 3 games hits the sweet/sore spot from an IIHF/Canadian pespective and it is exactly what they were aiming for.
interesting point. thank you for revealing this.

behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:02 PM
  #517
TheFinalWord
Registered User
 
TheFinalWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
1 or 2, not 3.

No suspension is ridiculous, we're not all homers there buddy.
Just ignore this poster. All he/she does is troll Canadian fans and post in Buffy/Angel threads. Not worth biting at the weak attempts.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:13 PM
  #518
luongo321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
Just ignore this poster. All he/she does is troll Canadian fans and post in Buffy/Angel threads. Not worth biting at the weak attempts.
There are Buffy/Angel threads on here?!?!?!?

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:07 AM
  #519
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,326
vCash: 500
I have no clue how some people here seem to be stuck in the past here...

Personally, I'd suspend the kid for the whole tournament, especially in light of his past actions.

It was late. And dangerous.
And not a little late. It was LAAAATEEE.

...

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:28 AM
  #520
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yeah, it almost was. Rome came from the dead centre of the ice while Horton was coming in just inside the left edge of the faceoff circle. As Horton is a RHS and looking left as well, it was almost blindside.
Either it was or wasn't. "almost" is not enough. And I disagree on that "almost" btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Oh, I know what you're saying, and I never claimed it did. It's easy to tell the difference between a guy who just plows through someone shoulder to shoulder and a guy who tries to throw his shoulder through someone's head, though.
I disagree, the result can be easily seen, intent is much harder to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Back to Pacioretty, though, and apparently those two facts weren't enough to make them suspend Chara. Obviously there's more to it than just lateness and an injury (because late hits are taken care of in the rules, and "**** happens"?), and I'd say it has a lot more to do with who you are.
I haven't mentioned Pacioretty or Chara even once in this thread.

But since you mentioned it, Chara shouldn't be suspended because of freak-incident where the result was because of poor rink design. The itself had nothing to warrant a suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Think that hit (which would "normally" be "legal" according to Murphy) is the worst thing ever deserving of punishment in Stanley Cup history, or do you think recent sensitivity surrounding those kind of hits to the head got factored in like I suggested?
Well obviously you can't compare suspensions just like that. Dale Hunter would have gotten a much stiffer suspension if the current standard of discipline had been back when he maimed Turgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Haven't seen all the "Jenner shouldn't be allowed to play junior hockey ever again" posters? They're out there. And in here.
Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but from what I've seen, people used that phrase in connection with "if Jenner was unable to stop/change course/soften the blow, he shouldn't be allowed to play hockey ever again". Because there was plenty of times.

Blatant late hit which caused tournament ending injury, most people agree that 2 games is fair for that, add 1 because of Jenner's history. I don't see how saying that is witch hunt.

What I think is ridiculous is some of the posters here calling the suspension a joke and IIHF being out there against Canadians etc. conspiracy theories.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:43 AM
  #521
Bomber0104
Boom
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 6,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I have no clue how some people here seem to be stuck in the past here...

Personally, I'd suspend the kid for the whole tournament, especially in light of his past actions.

It was late. And dangerous.
And not a little late. It was LAAAATEEE.

...
He was admiring his pass.

I guess you suspend Camara for this one too right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TIWWQ24wVg

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:58 AM
  #522
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
He was admiring his pass.
And?
What kind of logic is that?
"Well, he was admiring his pass, so I took my stick and tried to take his head off". That's pretty much the logic you are using. It doesn't matter one bit whether the opponent was admiring his pass, preparing for a hit that should never have happened or doing cartwheels on the ice. The only thing that matters is that you are not allowed to make an illegal hit. A late hit is by definition illegal, as such Jenner deserves every punishment he gets.

An opponent not being able to react to a hit is even more reason not to go for it, trying to use it as a defense is really weak.

Comparing it to the Camara hit is a joke. Camara tried a hockey-play, he wasn't late or made another move that would have made the hit illegal, he tried to seperate the opponent from the puck. Could he have done it a bit more leniant, maybe, but there was nothing wrong with attempting a hit at that point. The penalty was mostly because the opponent got injured, which on its own isn't a good reason for a penalty. Jenner, on the other hand, went for a hit when the puck wasn't anywhere near the player and he was way late. The two scenes couldn't be more different. If Camara should get suspended, it would have absolutely nothing to do with whether Jenner's suspension was warranted.


Last edited by Sanderson: 12-28-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
  #523
Weide
Registered User
 
Weide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Linköping, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 507
vCash: 656
I'll just leave an injury update on Pettersson here:
He had surgery on his wrist where an metal plate was inserted to stabilize the fracture, he also had surgery to repair the joint capsule in his shoulder.
So it's a safe bet to say that his season is over.

Weide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:46 AM
  #524
BloodOnIce
Registered User
 
BloodOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weide View Post
I'll just leave an injury update on Pettersson here:
He had surgery on his wrist where an metal plate was inserted to stabilize the fracture, he also had surgery to repair the joint capsule in his shoulder.
So it's a safe bet to say that his season is over.
Sucks to hear, thanks for the update though.

BloodOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.