HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

vCash: 500
If there is no season, the draft order should be based on the teams' AHL teams

Old
12-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Osminator

Old
12-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Osminator

These 2 games vs Bridgeport HAVE to be the WORST back to back games from one team I have ever seen... disgusting to the max.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:14 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
These 2 games vs Bridgeport HAVE to be the WORST back to back games from one team I have ever seen... disgusting to the max.
Analysis on McIlrath? Might be tough to gauge the kid in that kind of game though.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Analysis on McIlrath? Might be tough to gauge the kid in that kind of game though.

Hit well, but was too cautious with his play. They gave him "hit of the game" for knocking out an opponent, but it was a penalty. I liked it, however, when he took this penalty. Didn't do a good job in the fight at all. One of his turnovers led to a goal. Clearly not NHL-ready. He's looked like a third pairing AHL defenseman in his first game.

Granted he's still adjusting and other players all started out looking worse than they really are because they are nervous and apprehensive. Let's see how he looking in the next few weeks.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Hit well, but was too cautious with his play. They gave him "hit of the game" for knocking out an opponent, but it was a penalty. I liked it, however, when he took this penalty. Didn't do a good job in the fight at all. One of his turnovers led to a goal. Clearly not NHL-ready. He's looked like a third pairing AHL defenseman in his first game.

Granted he's still adjusting and other players all started out looking worse than they really are because they are nervous and apprehensive. Let's see how he looking in the next few weeks.
So he's the best defenseman on the team?

12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
So he's the best defenseman on the team?
Anyone who hops on board that roster stands a chance of being the best defensemen including forwards and medical staff.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:35 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

I wouldn't read too much into Dylan's first game in a long time. Most everyone else has played the entire season. He's got some catching up to do.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:49 AM
eco's bones

McIlrath's fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFbVmUU3X90

His opponent Brett Gallant is a really tough guy. He's cut a pretty wide swath of victims the last couple seasons of AHL tough guys. He fights quite a lot and doesn't lose very often--actually I'm not sure he's lost any. Not that great of a player though. McIlrath pretty much kept it fairly even and just coming back from long term injury--he did pretty well.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:31 AM
bhamill

I thought McIlrath did very well in the fight and landed more shots than Gallant did except for the jersey jabs. Gallant landed most of his on McI's shoulder. I'd call it a good draw for both guys. Neither is a slouch and they both were throwing.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:34 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

No way is that a "loss" for Mac. He didn't annihilate the guy but he was throwing hammers and not getting stunned by a guy who was throwing them just as hard as he was.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
McIlrath's fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFbVmUU3X90

His opponent Brett Gallant is a really tough guy. He's cut a pretty wide swath of victims the last couple seasons of AHL tough guys. He fights quite a lot and doesn't lose very often--actually I'm not sure he's lost any. Not that great of a player though. McIlrath pretty much kept it fairly even and just coming back from long term injury--he did pretty well.
does Gallant have any NHL future with the Islanders or is a better version of Trevor Gillies... he seem to have horrible stats.... 0 ots in 28 games. Michael Haley has more pts than him and some think he wont play any games for the Rangers whenever the NHL lockout ends.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 AM
ColonialsHockey10

How on earth can someone consider that a bad fight by McIlrath?

Just because the other guy has a tiny wingspan and is throwing machine guy punches that are doing nothing doesn't mean he's winning.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Levitate

Man, the Whale are a pretty terrible team

edit: or at least, are having a real tough season. Lots of new guys I guess and not enough depth in key areas

Old
12-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
No way is that a "loss" for Mac. He didn't annihilate the guy but he was throwing hammers and not getting stunned by a guy who was throwing them just as hard as he was.
I stand by what I wrote as the fight was happening.

Quote:
he looked bad. Totally off balance and not good technically. He took and gave punches, but only because he's so physically huge. He looks enormous. But skill-wise, that was not a good fight.
He was very much off balance. If he weren't so huge, he'd have gotten spanked. He needs to tighten up his fights or else it won't look pretty in some fights.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I stand by what I wrote as the fight was happening.

He was very much off balance. If he weren't so huge, he'd have gotten spanked. He needs to tighten up his fights or else it won't look pretty in some fights.
The thing I don't get is that all of us know Dylan's been out rehabbing his knee since the middle of summer. First game back when practically every other AHL player has had a full training camp and played a third of the season--it's like you're expecting he's going to be right up to speed and he's a rookie to boot. Sometimes I think you need to tone your expectations. And Gallant is a really serious ****ing AHL fighter/goon. Maybe not the biggest guy but he hits really hard and he can really take a punch.. Definitely in the category of a Shawn Thornton or Cam Janssen in that regard. He demolished Haley. He's demolished a lot of guys.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Mikos87

Yeah I agree with Dylan not losing the fight. A twenty year old rookie in his pro season debut taking on one of the toughest in the AHL more than handled his own. Both guys threw bombs, but none got the TKO that they were looking for.

Dylan was brought along slowly last night and played 3rd pair mins, but he did get in the minds of a lot of the Bridgeport players. I enjoyed the tone setting hits and the fight he delivered, I hope some of the guys down there rally around him

HFD has been plagued with career AHLers dogging it in for the whole season, so I expect a vastly different roster next year. Take a look at Newbs for example, and ask yourself why isn't this guy wearing the 'C'.

Newb's someone that plays hard, leads the team in scoring, first unit ice-time on the PP, PK, and at EV, drops the gloves, and is tough to play against... but why doesn't he have the 'C'? Well its because he takes selfish penalty after selfish penalty.

And that mindset, putting your own needs ahead of the guys next to you; has carried its self down the roster. Too many guys are just skating out their ice time and collecting their checks, I don't know if they're demoralized at not being able to have the chance to play in the NHL or what.

I hate that Tessier, the worst player on the team in my mind is earning some prime ice time, but he's earned with through his effort level, if HFD could get someone with more ability to step up, then this team would be worth cheering for.

Kolarik has stepped it up, but he's been spotty, Chad needs to take note with Miller away, and Kreider playing without a sense of purpose, that he has to be the go to guy, and HFD has won games when Kolarik has been the guy playing with a high motor and producing.

Speaking of Kreider, all the tools are there, but I think he needs some time to sort out the cobwebs within himself. He doesn't have that killer's edge that a lot of the snipers have. The more I see him, the more I think he ends up as a Eric Cole clone, inconsistency and all. If he was giving the same effort and producing the same results he has been for HFD so far, there is no way he would be playing top 6 mins under Torts.

I can't believe he hasn't realized that if he competes harder than the guys on the other side, shift in-shift out, that he just plays harder every shift, then he will break through on the score sheet more often.

He is athletically gifted enough that maybe a handful of defencemen in the world can keep up with him, but Chris needs to get that they must withstand whatever he dishes out to contain him, he isn't going to out smart or intimidate anyone into making things easy for him at the pro level. Its a #Grind Chris, its a ****** grind.

Last edited by Mikos87: 12-28-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
SnowblindNYR

So looking at Kreider's stats should I be disappointed? Seems like the whole team is ****. Maybe I can't judge him by his stats.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:11 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The thing I don't get is that all of us know Dylan's been out rehabbing his knee since the middle of summer. First game back when practically every other AHL player has had a full training camp and played a third of the season--it's like you're expecting he's going to be right up to speed and he's a rookie to boot. Sometimes I think you need to tone your expectations. And Gallant is a really serious ****ing AHL fighter/goon. Maybe not the biggest guy but he hits really hard and he can really take a punch.. Definitely in the category of a Shawn Thornton or Cam Janssen in that regard. He demolished Haley. He's demolished a lot of guys.
I just watched the fight again. McIlrath looked fine, Gallant landed one flush jersey jab. Looked like all of his rights fell short. McI just missed with one big right that would have ended it.

A month from now McI will be doing some heavy damage across the league.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So looking at Kreider's stats should I be disappointed? Seems like the whole team is ****. Maybe I can't judge him by his stats.
No and that's never a true assessment of what an athlete can do. Chris is a thoroughbred, and someone who I think will come onto his own under the organization's direction; what he is going through is simply a part of the process.

If you remember how Brian Boyle played his first year here, compared to where he is now, the difference is in how he helped the team win every shift he was out there. Whether it was through physical play, a blocked shot, or playing mistake free hockey, it took a while for Boyler to put it together and have it be automatic.

With Chris, you have a guy who is very powerful, and a physically gifted athlete that still needs to round out his game. It simply isn't about scoring, but it's about what you do to help the team win every second that you're out there, and all of those elements aren't automatic yet in Chris's play thus far.

But that's primarily because he's focusing in on it, thinking about the little details, rather than just instinctively reacting or initiating. Once that little something clicks within Chris, when he has that understanding and comfort level of what it takes to be a pro, and his confidence grows within himself, I think everyone will see all that hype come to fruition.

Dude is a better skater than McDonaugh, Hagelin, and Gaborik... Bigger too... I've got faith that he'll be just fine on the big club.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:13 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Typical Ken G. team. They'll pick it up 2nd half.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Here is a better quality video of the fight:

Old
12-28-2012, 11:44 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Here is a better quality video of the fight:

If that had been McIlrath's 3rd game back and not his first period, he would have killed the other guy.

To be clear - I wanted Tarasenko and I still think it was a mistake not to draft him. But McIlrath is clearly a scary MF.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:43 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

He's a faster skater than Gaborik or McDonagh. I'm not sure he's a better skater.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:38 AM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If that had been McIlrath's 3rd game back and not his first period, he would have killed the other guy.

To be clear - I wanted Tarasenko and I still think it was a mistake not to draft him. But McIlrath is clearly a scary MF.
I honestly think the Cherapanov experience soured them on drafting Russians. They've pretty much been going heavily north american ever since.

Closed Thread