HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Ville231

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
It's a little late now, but considering Kossila is producing for St. Cloud State while Ville Järveläinen wasn't going to make the team, I think it's safe to say he would have been comfortable playing at the WJC level. I don't know that he was "snubbed" so much as he was less available. He probably wouldn't have been able to practice with the team as much leading up to the tournament. For a "superstar", you don't worry about that as much, but I don't know that Kossila is a "superstar." He's very good though.
Yes, his numbers are quite impressive. I think that the coaching staff left him out because our Top 6 is too hard for him to crack and thought Aaltonen was a better fit for the third-line center than Kossila. Hard to say since I dont know the player. This years team is just packed with talent and the team is very well build. In any other year Kossila could/should have been in the team or atleast get an invite to the camp.

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Gaps

Like I said yesterday: This is a HUGE failure. There are no excuses for this loss. They had enough chances to tie and even win the game, but no. Everyone aside from Korpisalo need to take a nice long look in the mirror, and this most certainly includes the coaches. Hopefully something will actually be learned from this loss, because it seemed that not much was learned from the less-than-perfect Latvia game.

When Armia suddenly started to make more plays than usual, I was a bit worried that it was a signal of Granlund's overall weakness in playmaking. As long as Granlund kept scoring from Armia's passes, it didn't matter as much but now it's obviously a problem. Salomäki can fill his role as a powerforward in that line (and he was better today than in the previous game), but now Armia's forced to do too much on his own because MaG is terrible and weak. The 1st line has no capable playmaker, the best playmaker in it is the same player who should do the scoring and that's too much to ask for. Granlund's face-off win % was an abysmal 37.5, which is nowhere near what it should be for a 1st line center. I don't understand why they let Granlund take the mot important face-off of the game in the end.

It just figures that before the tournament we think we have this huge goalie problem, then it turns out that the goalie situation is fine as it is for Finland most of the time but the skaters start folding like cheap Ikea furniture.

From the D, Ristolainen seems to be playing a strong tournament, hopefully these games will help his stock in the draft. Vainio, Auvinen and Riikola on the other hand were bad for most of the time.

Barkov was really good in the 3rd period today, and he was by far our best face-off guy, winning 70.00% of his face-offs. If he can keep it up, the points will come sooner rather than later. Teräväinen was okay today, too. Lehkonen on the other hand was physically too weak.

We may actually have to use the Teräväinen-Barkov-Armia line after all. Something needs to be done about the 1st line in particular. Granlund is incapable of feeding Armia but isn't good enough at finishing, either.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:03 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Just musing, but it looks like the Slovaks are currently teaching Canada a lesson. It's still not a done deal (neither the game nor their final seeding), but imagine if they got the 2nd seed in their group.

That would mean we'd possibly have the pick between winning the group or grabbing the 3rd seed in ours when we face Sweden.

No, the QF wouldn't still be a cakewalk, but I'd still rather face Slovakia than any of USA, Russia or Canada.

EDIT: Well, so much for that thought.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:31 AM
QnebO

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...viivelahtoihin

I agree with Teräväinen, those slow breaks cost us the game with PP. They allways waited, gave opponent all the time to make their trap as good as possible. Then went to the center ice and tried to dangle throught the trap.. With their skills they actually got thru, but not in good chances..

Just turn it fast, when you get the puck put it to forwards and create odd-man rushes.. And 3 on 3 rushes, theres more room in them.. Using "slowbreak" (what ever it is in english) all the time is very stupid.

And in the power play, please get rid of that midged Järveläinen.. He was playing at the center of the box. Ridiculous.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:34 AM
Gaps

My guess is that we'll face either USA or Russia in the QF. I think we have a decent shot at winning the USA, but the Russians are the hosts and losing in the QF would be a disaster for them. They'll do anything to win that game, and that anything includes taking out our top6 with dirty plays if necessary.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:38 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
My guess is that we'll face either USA or Russia in the QF. I think we have a decent shot at winning the USA, but the Russians are the hosts and losing in the QF would be a disaster for them. They'll do anything to win that game, and that anything includes taking out our top6 with dirty plays if necessary.
I think we should be fine if we end up in war. We have pretty big team for our standards this year.. And I have heard that one Salomäki equals for 10 russian players.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:13 AM
bebl

We have to change Leino to Pokka in powerplay.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
doesn't look good. this team misses - aaltonen as i said...

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:49 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
After this game we're definately designated for the relegation round. Nothing can stop that now, it's all over

lol

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:50 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
We have to change Leino to Pokka in powerplay.
Imo pokka has been our best offensive dman

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:31 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
can they move up some other forwards, like Ikonen, is it possible to happen

behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Henri M

Moi, antakaa anteeks huonon suomen kieleni.

Voisinko kysyä että missä Helsinkissä olisi hyvä paikka mennä kattoon suomen pelia uuden vuoden aatona? Ja vaikka samalla ottaa pari kaljaa. Asun Hotel Kämpillä, että joku hyvä baari Esplanadin lähellä olisi kiva.

Henri M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Before the pre-tournament games against Canada and the US i had a big question mark above MaG's head, is he good enough to center the top line for us against the best teams. Well, he played really well in those 2 games and i already thought if he proved me wrong, but after all those werent 'real' games. He definitely looked weak and slow against Czechs today, he better step up because we cant win anything in this tournament with a center like that in our top 6.

Barkov's overall play has been decent but the fact is after 2 games he is still pointless. People (myself incluced) tend to raise the expectations too high for him, he's still only 95' born. I dont think there's ever been player this young that's expected to carry this kind of load for his team in the U20's. But then again he's doing great against men in the FEL so this level of competition shouldnt be an issue. Im starting to wonder if there's something else that's affecting his play, i mean Mikael Granlund never amazed in the WJC's even though he was dominating in the FEL. Maybe there's just too much pressure or something on our leading centerman.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...viivelahtoihin

I agree with Teräväinen, those slow breaks cost us the game with PP. They allways waited, gave opponent all the time to make their trap as good as possible. Then went to the center ice and tried to dangle throught the trap.. With their skills they actually got thru, but not in good chances..

Just turn it fast, when you get the puck put it to forwards and create odd-man rushes.. And 3 on 3 rushes, theres more room in them.. Using "slowbreak" (what ever it is in english) all the time is very stupid.

And in the power play, please get rid of that midged Järveläinen.. He was playing at the center of the box. Ridiculous.
That was the biggest problem and unlike Meidän Peli where we're supposed to be pass our way into the offensive zone. The dmen also made their outlet passes far too much to the wings, the centers were hardly utilized. There's slow break-outs and there's reeeeaaallly slow break-outs. Ours fell into the latter category today. Seems Kiva-Harri doesn't have semi-quick break-outs in his playbook...

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:09 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That was the biggest problem and unlike Meidän Peli where we're supposed to be pass our way into the offensive zone. The dmen also made their outlet passes far too much to the wings, the centers were hardly utilized. There's slow break-outs and there's reeeeaaallly slow break-outs. Ours fell into the latter category today. Seems Kiva-Harri doesn't have semi-quick break-outs in his playbook...
Agreed. These overly maneuvered break-outs are killing the natural flow. Players like Armia and Teräväinen doesn't get the opportunity to challenge 1on1 which is a shame 'cos they're so good at it. Määttä and Ristolainen could carry the puck into offensive zone too. I don't the slowness think it suits Team Finland atm. Maybe when they've got the lead they can take their time behind own net and try to create frustrative moments to opponent.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:17 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
Voisinko kysyä että missä Helsinkissä olisi hyvä paikka mennä kattoon suomen pelia uuden vuoden aatona? Ja vaikka samalla ottaa pari kaljaa. Asun Hotel Kämpillä, että joku hyvä baari Esplanadin lähellä olisi kiva.
Asking this in English would have been just fine... but props for the effort.

According to their website, Sports Academy is showing it. Kaivokatu 8.

---

And well... crap. Sweden sharing points with the Swiss means our boys can't win the group all by themselves anymore. The Czechs need to lose points either to the Swiss or Latvia, otherwise we can beat both SUI and SWE cleanly and still finish 2nd at best.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
---
And well... crap. Sweden sharing points with the Swiss means our boys can't win the group all by themselves anymore. The Czechs need to lose points either to the Swiss or Latvia, otherwise we can beat both SUI and SWE cleanly and still finish 2nd at best.
I'm not even dreaming of winning the group (at least not anymore). At this point I hope the team realizes that we may not even make the QFs if we lose to Switzerland. That game has to be won, and rather by a blowout than after a tight struggle. They really put themselves into a big mess by losing today.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:41 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
Moi, antakaa anteeks huonon suomen kieleni.

omg youre so good with finnish, you even made word 'kattoon' like a proper slang ..theres one really good place next to railwaystation, can't remember name

behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Loffer

This team isn't as good as some seem to think. Missing Aaltonen WAS a huge blow. Majority of the players are bad skaters, small and slow. And those who are not, are even slower. And Barkov should start playing pretty soon or he will see his draft stock falling like a brick.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Henri M

Quote:
Asking this in English would have been just fine... but props for the effort.

According to their website, Sports Academy is showing it. Kaivokatu 8.
Kiitos.
Ah, okey, I just use every opportunity to practice my finnish, seeing as I don't have so many chances to do so anymore.

@Behemolari
Kiitos paljon Toi Sports Academy on kai se rautatieaseman viereinen baari jota sinä tarkoitatt?

Henri M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Humppaknight

Sports academy opposite railwaystation would be the best choice, but be early. I think its loaded at 31th day.

Can someone tell what the ******* Järveläinen doing in these games? if he had TheoFleury-additude then I can understand, but he's playing just like his size, like midget.

Humppaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:05 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humppaknight View Post
Sports academy opposite railwaystation would be the best choice, but be early. I think its loaded at 31th day.

Can someone tell what the ******* Järveläinen doing in these games? if he had TheoFleury-additude then I can understand, but he's playing just like his size, like midget.
I agree. He would be midged even in womens team. Size does matter something.. It looks completely ridiculous when he's playing there with big men. If it only was just how it looks...

He was in the PP, in the slot "doing mask". That was most ridiculous part. I hope they understand to bench him before its too late, and ****, he deserves no PP time. I mean, the guy can play hockey, but he loses the battles and Im not sure if he even has guts to go with full aproach to the situation when he is so handicapped against others. And he wouldnt make mask even if he was standing right in front of the goalie. Prorably he would be hit in the net from the 5-0.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:08 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
They really put themselves into a big mess by losing today.
That's an overstatement. Given the composition of the other group, the only way to avoid that "big mess" would have been to win our own group, and I don't think any of us figured even before today that it was going to be a cakewalk.

Yes, we had the better team on paper and I'm disappointed we didn't win, but it's not like the result was a huge upset either. The prospect of the Czechs being the better team on ice was always there.

Looking forward, well... losing to Switzerland would mean we'd be in a mess. But as of right now, we're still steadily on the ground that's going to carry us into the medal round. The odds are we'll have to carve that road through the QF now, which is going to make it harder but far from impossible. This team has already shown it can beat any opponent in this tournament. They just need to get their s**t together and start playing like it.

After all, we still have a very strong group of forwards, defense of the ages, and hey... after today's game it's pretty safe to say that we have extremely solid netminding as well. All the pieces required to win gold are there. Now, it's up to the players and the coaches to find the way to put together the right picture. I still have faith in 'em.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Gaps

Quote:
That's an overstatement. Given the composition of the other group, the only way to avoid that "big mess" would have been to win our own group, and I don't think any of us figured even before today that it was going to be a cakewalk.

Yes, we had the better team on paper and I'm disappointed we didn't win, but it's not like the result was a huge upset either. The prospect of the Czechs being the better team on ice was always there.

Looking forward, well... losing to Switzerland would mean we'd be in a mess. But as of right now, we're still steadily on the ground that's going to carry us into the medal round. The odds are we'll have to carve that road through the QF now, which is going to make it harder but far from impossible. This team has already shown it can beat any opponent in this tournament. They just need to get their s**t together and start playing like it.

After all, we still have a very strong group of forwards, defense of the ages, and hey... after today's game it's pretty safe to say that we have extremely solid netminding as well. All the pieces required to win gold are there. Now, it's up to the players and the coaches to find the way to put together the right picture. I still have faith in 'em.
In my books I slotted in one loss in the preliminary round, and by default it would have been to Sweden. Winning Sweden is still IMO more unlikely than winning this game was. If they manage to win both Sweden and Switzerland, we'll be in a decent position, but I just don't see it as likely as you probably do.

If they had lost to the Czechs after an overall decent team effort, I would not be nearly as pessimistic, but for the most part they didn't do well at all.

All the necessary parts seem to be there, but making the whole package work is a whole another thing. It seemed to work last week, so it could start working again, but it is worrying that they play worse now than last weekend. If they get their crap together, anything is possible but I don't know if I believe in that happening as much as you do.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Loffer

Quote:

Russia is too strong. So is Canada. I bet Swedes are too. And USA for sure. We'll see about Switzerland. But a medal is just too much asked. Let's be realistic. This team is not good enough. F. ex. 1st line is downright bad. One Armia won't win the games.