HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Just got a email from my WHL guy, he thought Strome banged his shoulder on the boards
on the last penalty he took but nothing to worry. He's a big Reinhart fan, and thought his game
was outstanding today, not flashy like the others just super efficient and a coach never
has to worry about him when on the ice.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:39 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Just got a email from my WHL guy, he thought Strome banged his shoulder on the boards
on the last penalty he took but nothing to worry. He's a big Reinhart fan, and thought his game
was outstanding today, not flashy like the others just super efficient and a coach never
has to worry about him when on the ice.
That would explain the apparent benching at the end of the game.

Reinhart is KJ 2.0 - hopefully meaner.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:47 AM
InformTheMasses

KJ was a much better skater. He had world class speed. A lot of Reinharts game reminds me of Adrian Aucoin (at the top of his game), he's sort of a hybrid between the two. I think the Ryan Suter comp may in fact be the best one. In any event, it's very encouraging that his play draws these types of comparisons, it bodes well for Griffs and the Isles future.

I didn't wake up at 4 am for the Canada game, but will watch the replay later this afternoon. Strome seems to be exceeding my expectations as far as point production, historically you would be hard pressed to find this type of scoring pace for a second line player even on team Canada. I thought a point per game would have been a great pace for him, this season he is proving to be a star in the making.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
KJ was a much better skater. He had world class speed. A lot of Reinharts game reminds me of Adrian Aucoin (at the top of his game), he's sort of a hybrid between the two. I think the Ryan Suter comp may in fact be the best one. In any event, it's very encouraging that his play draws these types of comparisons, it bodes well for Griffs and the Isles future.

I didn't wake up at 4 am for the Canada game, but will watch the replay later this afternoon. Strome seems to be exceeding my expectations as far as point production, historically you would be hard pressed to find this type of scoring pace for a second line player even on team Canada. I thought a point per game would have been a great pace for him, this season he is proving to be a star in the making.
He may be getting points but so far every time I've watched him he leaves me wanting much more from him, especially the game this morning. It almost seems like he's way to content to float through the zones when the puck isn't around him. I hope I'm very wrong but he reminds me more of Schremp than JT at this point.

Love Reinhart though, but I have to admit watching Gally on Team USA makes me very jealous of Montreal fans. He's filthy.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:48 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Love Reinhart though, but I have to admit watching Gally on Team USA makes me very jealous of Montreal fans. He's filthy.
Galchenyuk to me has looked like the most talented player of he tournament so far. But it was 1 game, and it was against Germany, so I'll wait to see how he does this morning against Russia. But his skill is off the charts. I'm also looking forward to watching Jones vs. Nichushkin. I have heard good things about Nichushkin. This will be my first time watching him (only saw a few minutes of the Russia/Slovakia game)

Old
12-28-2012, 09:38 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Question for fans who saw Pokka: are his skating issues overblown ?

Old
12-28-2012, 09:43 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Question for fans who saw Pokka: are his skating issues overblown ?
Only saw him play one game this year, pre-tourney. Skating didn't look lake a major deficiency.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
scott99

Quote:

I agree KJ was a better skater, but he NEVER had World Class speed. Berard had world class speed. KJ was a smooth effortless skater, but never had world class speed.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
InformTheMasses

A sprint between point A and Point B, you may be right. But as far as natural speed, and just skating and covering more ice, not at max effort. Not close, KJ had the best skating stride and got on you much faster than most.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:56 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
I'm also looking forward to watching Jones vs. Nichushkin. I have heard good things about Nichushkin. This will be my first time watching him (only saw a few minutes of the Russia/Slovakia game)
Wow what a move by Nichushkin, he beat Jones as well, let's see how Jones responds.

Nichushkin is so big and fast, he is going to be a high draft pick this year for sure.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:07 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
He may be getting points but so far every time I've watched him he leaves me wanting much more from him, especially the game this morning. It almost seems like he's way to content to float through the zones when the puck isn't around him. I hope I'm very wrong but he reminds me more of Schremp than JT at this point.

Strome has been getting killed by Canadian fans this entire tournament. That said, most of them thought he should have been named player of the game this morning. I didn't see the game(too early, forgot to DVR it), so you could be accurate, but I'm curious as to what you saw today that everyone else didn't see.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Wow what a move by Nichushkin, he beat Jones as well, let's see how Jones responds.

Nichushkin is so big and fast, he is going to be a high draft pick this year for sure.
I'm glad to read that the skating, doesn't look like it'll be an issue for Pokka.

I don't want any part of Nichushkin. He's signed to a 3 yr contract with a KHL team. The isles can't even get Petrov to come over.

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...hockey,wp16055

"I was going to play in Canada but then I signed a contract with Traktor," explains the 17-year-old.

Nichushkin signed a three--year contract but hasn't played a game in the KHL yet. Clearly being too good for the MHL — Russia's major junior league — he now plays for Chelmet, Traktor's VHL affiliate team. How is he too good for a junior team? He has four goals and four assists in nine games for Belye Medvedi this season. In the VHL he scored eight goals and 10 points in 15 games.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Strome has been getting killed by Canadian fans this entire tournament. That said, most of them thought he should have been named player of the game this morning. I didn't see the game(too early, forgot to DVR it), so you could be accurate, but I'm curious as to what you saw today that everyone else didn't see.
Replay, 5:30 PM today on NHL Network.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:54 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Replay, 5:30 PM today on NHL Network.
Thanks man. Can't wait(Bart Scott voice).

Old
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Strome could've been player of the game, nodoubt about it. His first penalty was a bad one IMO, the second was one of those **** happens kind of penalties. And the RNH line didn't play in the final 3 minutes either, the coach was obviously trying to get MacKinnon going.

12-28-2012, 01:38 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Strome could've been player of the game, nodoubt about it. His first penalty was a bad one IMO, the second was one of those **** happens kind of penalties. And the RNH line didn't play in the final 3 minutes either, the coach was obviously trying to get MacKinnon going.
I'll have to catch the replay because I thought I saw RNH out there in the last 3 minutes, but that was my initial impression. With Canada probably without 2 forwards in the next game, the coach can't continue to use MacKinnon as the 13th forward. They're going to need him to play a regular shift, don't understand why he hasn't up until now. Not that it probably matters, but this will probably be the only time Nate gets to play in a WJC so use him while you've got him.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:45 PM
scott99

I hope MacKinnon falls in the draft, right to the Islanders

Old
12-28-2012, 02:14 PM
StumpNYI

One thing is for sure. Strome still has some bulking up to do.

http://video.tsn.ca/videohub.aspx?dl...34073/clip/125

Old
12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I hope MacKinnon falls in the draft, right to the Islanders
he hasn't done anything in this tournament but I think he's going to be a star. This is a tough tournament for a draft-eligible player especially, even Stamkos and Tavares did very little when they played at 17.
If the season's cancelled, the Isles are probably going to get another really good player once they have another draft....but in a short season, anything can happen. The Isles may finish anywhere in the standings!

Quote:

Jones looked out of position a few times. Still a marvel of a talent but much to learn. Defense is really tough to do well, especially in the NHL. It's that Lidstrom guy, he makes everything look so easy. Just like Ty Wishart makes everything look so hard.

Quote:
Yikes. You're totally wrong about Strome. You may be guilty of watching him too closely and maybe expecting too much. He does "float" around when he doesn't have the puck, but not exactly a lazy float, he's "hovering" in open ice looking for a pass and he's driving hard when he has the puck. Big difference from Schremp who'd rather stickhandle while standing still than drive to the net.

JT was also accused of floating in junior, by a lot of people, including myself. He simply thought the game different than most players and it looked like he wasn't giving his all at times. In the WJC, less so, but in Oshawa and London, definitely.

One thing that stands out about Strome is how focused he is on the ice. He follows the play extremely well and moves the puck quickly and efficiently. He's got great offensive instincts, anticipation and works hard AND smart. This is a very good player the Isles have.

I do think he needs more time before he's able to contribute at the NHL level though. IFFFF there's a training camp, I don't expect him to win an NHL job (to be honest). He MAY but I don't EXPECT it. Whether he's better off in the NHL vs junior, well, that's a debate for another time, if faced with that decision.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
One thing is for sure. Strome still has some bulking up to do.

http://video.tsn.ca/videohub.aspx?dl...34073/clip/125
You could say that about a lot of 19 year old hockey players, RNH is even skinnier !

Old
12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
You could say that about a lot of 19 year old hockey players, RNH is even skinnier !
True. But even on the ice looks like one of the smallest players out there. Just an observation. He also is a sneaky player and doesn't base his game on strength so it doesn't seem to make much a difference. Plus he doesn't shy away from that stuff either. I know he'll get bigger though. Just after JT got bit I'm concerned about his safety lol. Some mean SOB's out there.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:45 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I can't help thinking of Tim Connolly when I see Strome. 5th overall picks by the Isles, similar build, similar style of play, sweet hands, offensive dynamos. What a shame that we Bailey'd Tim back in the day.

Thankfully, Stome has been treated with kid gloves by the Isles so far and that makes me very happy. I hope it continues and he's left in Junior even if there is a season. Let him get accustomed to the pro game in Bridgeport next year and he could be that dynamic #2C that this team has needed in 2014-2015... what Connolly was supposed to be in 1999 - minus the injuries.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:47 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
True. But even on the ice looks like one of the smallest players out there. Just an observation. He also is a sneaky player and doesn't base his game on strength so it doesn't seem to make much a difference. Plus he doesn't shy away from that stuff either. I know he'll get bigger though. Just after JT got bit I'm concerned about his safety lol. Some mean SOB's out there.
One of the things I loved about Strome, when I was watching his videos on youtube prior to the draft, was his willingness to drop the gloves. Its another thing I liked about Huberdeau also (pre-draft videos). Talent and willingness to fight, very admirable attributes.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:54 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I can't help thinking of Tim Connolly when I see Strome. 5th overall picks by the Isles, similar build, similar style of play, sweet hands, offensive dynamos. What a shame that we Bailey'd Tim back in the day.

Thankfully, Stome has been treated with kid gloves by the Isles so far and that makes me very happy. I hope it continues and he's left in Junior even if there is a season. Let him get accustomed to the pro game in Bridgeport next year and he could be that dynamic #2C that this team has needed in 2014-2015... what Connolly was supposed to be in 1999 - minus the injuries.
I think Strome is a notch above Connolly talentwise. Different eras, it was easier to score in juniors back in the late 1990's, and Strome still outpaced Connolly in Juniors. Had a lot of hope for Connolly, especially after a somehwhat exciting rookie season, but except for the Sedins and Havlat, that was one of the worst 1st rounds in draft history.

Though this goal is certainly very Strome-esque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lys13bbVSwo

I don't understand why Connolly never made it big. So talented, amazing hands. I think he just never had that drive and determination like Tavares and even Strome.

Last edited by scott99: 12-28-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 03:09 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I'll have to catch the replay because I thought I saw RNH out there in the last 3 minutes, but that was my initial impression. With Canada probably without 2 forwards in the next game, the coach can't continue to use MacKinnon as the 13th forward. They're going to need him to play a regular shift, don't understand why he hasn't up until now. Not that it probably matters, but this will probably be the only time Nate gets to play in a WJC so use him while you've got him.
Okay to clear a few things up.... I just watched the Canada-Slovokia game.

1) Stromes Penalty was with almost 10 min left in the game, he came back out with 8 minutes to go in the game. He stayed out there after a play stoppage finished his shift by winning a faceoff and that was the last time he was on the ice (with over 7 minutes to go)

2)RNH had 3 more shifts after that (7 minutes, 4 plus minutes, and 2 minutes to go)

3) Strome also got skipped earlier in the game imediately after his first tripping penalty (he missed 1 shift)

4) Whoever said Strome left them wanting more, has incredibly high expectations, to be honest, he probably was the games MVP and would have been named that had he not taken a couple of dumb penalties. He did not play mistake free, but he played in all situations, and played hard in all three zones. He also won 11 of the 14 face-offs he took (by my count). He was responsible for 2 takeaways and caused another turnover. He only turned the puck over once on a cycle in the corner that Douin didnt get to. I thought he played not good, BUT GREAT on the PK. Again, Not a mistake free game.... but almost.

Watch the replay if you can Islander fans, you will like what you see. And now you know you dont need to watch the last 8 minutes

Closed Thread