HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Division I and below

Old
12-27-2012, 08:50 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 500
Division I and below

Anyone keeping an eye out for the countries coming up from the lower groups ?

(Japan's being promoted to Division I group B next year. Hoping they can show up in the top division sometime.)

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan1IslesFan View Post
What do you mean by "keeping an eye out for"?

Quote:
(Japan's being promoted to Division I group B next year. Hoping they can show up in the top division sometime.)
Well, they're going back down next year and it's unrealistic to expect them to make the top division in the coming decades.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:59 PM
SpeedDemon

[QUOTE=Ryker;56846225]What do you mean by "keeping an eye out for"?

Keeping tabs on, staying up to date information-wise.

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:07 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, they're going back down next year and it's unrealistic to expect them to make the top division in the coming decades.
The coming years would be unrealistic but what's so unrealistic about the coming decades?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:

I have kept an eye on it since the late 80's.

The formats have changed a number of times but we finally seem to have come back to our senses in relegating 1 team out of a 10 team group and we have the next best 6 playing each other rather than the waterered down pair of div 1 groups that each promoted a team to the top group.

Denmark, Belarus and Norway make up the next tier and will for the forseeable future.

Slovenia seems to be pushing Austria as far as developing young players goes. Hungary appeared to be gaining some traction but they are miles away from the top right now.

Japan landed in the top tier back in 93 and it was disasterous. They will be hard pressed to ever see Div 1 A within the next 10-15 years.

PanniniClaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
I have kept an eye on it since the late 80's.

The formats have changed a number of times but we finally seem to have come back to our senses in relegating 1 team out of a 10 team group and we have the next best 6 playing each other rather than the waterered down pair of div 1 groups that each promoted a team to the top group.

Denmark, Belarus and Norway make up the next tier and will for the forseeable future.

Slovenia seems to be pushing Austria as far as developing young players goes. Hungary appeared to be gaining some traction but they are miles away from the top right now.

Japan landed in the top tier back in 93 and it was disasterous. They will be hard pressed to ever see Div 1 A within the next 10-15 years.
Came in here to post about Japans entry in the early 90's but I can see there is no need now. To bad they haven't made any serious headway but its also not surprising.

Dr Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:48 AM
kaiser matias

Had a thread started when the Division IA and IB, and IIA tournaments were going on. Am planning on bumping it in January when Div IIB and III start.

Division I-III thread

That said, I've been keeping an eye on stuff. I added some commentary in that thread, but basicaly think that the new format will improve the quality of play over time as teams play at their competitive levels. That said, Japan is not going to be able to leap past the likes of Norway, Belarus, even Austria in the foreseeable future. They don't have the infrastructure for that kind of development. Not to say they aren't doing good, as their senior team is a mainstay at the Division I level.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

I maintain an interest in these tournaments. Always nice to know what countries are going up and down in world hockey play.