HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

LeBrun: NHL made new offer to NHLPA on Thursday (12/27)

Old
12-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
LeBrun: NHL made new offer to NHLPA on Thursday (12/27)

Quote:
Details of the new offer include:

Term limit on player contracts moves to six years from the five years NHL asked in previous offers (seven years if you're re-signing your own player).

Year-to-year salary variance moves from 5 percent (NHL's previous offers) to 10 percent.

Each team will be allowed one compliance buyout before the 2013-14 season that will not count against the salary cap but will count against the players' share.

The Make Whole provision stays at $300 million.
Quote:
At this point there is no scheduled meeting between the sides set for Friday, a source said. The NHLPA needs time to review the lengthy and detailed offer from the league.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/87...er-source-says

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:11 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

So, this is either the beginning of the real endgame or it's just the NHL with a move that avoids them looking like "We'll sit here and wait till January 2nd."

IF this thing goes to court the NHL is now on record with doing anything they possibly could to save a season, offering the olive branch in a last ditch effort.

I don't know, is this offer good enough for the players to accept after all they've invested in this battle so far? Is this an offer they can start negotiating off of? It comes across as a reasonable compromise to an extent, which I personally wouldn't have expected the league to make at this point.

It sure is throwing the PA a bone. I question the size of it and therefore I doubt that this is anything more than tactics and putting the league in a better position once judges start looking into this.

On the other hand, maybe it's just me not trusting any side anymore or doubting anybody's willingness to actually solve this before it's too late for this season...

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Confucius

I hope they wait until after the WJC and Spengler cup. Then if they want to settle, fine.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

In these situations, it always seems that the most progress is being made when there's little being said to the media. Considering this was leaked by a player requesting anonymity, and that Daly wouldn't comment on it, I consider this to be a step in the right direction.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
Offer will be rejected by end of weekend, and along with that will be a a whole lot more whining over how much they have given they are not giving anything back blah blah blah!

Gotaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Pepper

NHL is moving close enough with their offer so that PA can't dismiss it right away and Fehr can't be certain that it would be voted down by the PA members.

So if the season is at the line, NHLPA has the last-moment offer from NHL on the table, most players will most likely accept it because the differences at this point are so small. If Fehr recommends not to accept it, he looks like the bad guy, if players vote it down, Fehr AND the players will look like the bad guys but if players vote against Fehr's recommendiation, he's most likely forced to resign (which he will do anyway at some point and let his brother take the reins).

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
NHL is moving close enough with their offer so that PA can't dismiss it right away and Fehr can't be certain that it would be voted down by the PA members.

So if the season is at the line, NHLPA has the last-moment offer from NHL on the table, most players will most likely accept it because the differences at this point are so small. If Fehr recommends not to accept it, he looks like the bad guy, if players vote it down, Fehr AND the players will look like the bad guys but if players vote against Fehr's recommendiation, he's most likely forced to resign (which he will do anyway at some point and let his brother take the reins).
The last moment offer will be from the players and it will be just a little bit better, it will then be up to the league to cancel the season over such a little bit more.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:39 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
The last moment offer will be from the players and it will be just a little bit better, it will then be up to the league to cancel the season over such a little bit more.
This is kind of what I'm expecting, too.

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
In other words, matching concession with concession, with the players coming in range of the NHL offer and then pulling back just a smidge for dignity's sake. Something that both parties should have been doing all along.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:49 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I honestly do not see it that way. The two are still very far apart on economics, and this offer does not move the economic portion of the owners proposal at all. This is a baby step when they have a marathon to do.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Tinalera

The optics I'm seeing now are the NHL offering this "olive branch" a few days before the DOI "deadline" (in that after Jan 2nd they've have to vote again to DOI as I understand it) So do the players negotiate off of this? If they do, that's fine. If they reject it, now the players are seen as the one with the "hot potato" optically, and unless they've got something right and ready to go within a day or so, Jan 2nd will come up and the view will be from the public "okay, which is it players? Are you going to offer something back or are you going to choose to DOI"-because if they have to take a 2nd vote to DOI, the NHL is going to use that to try and prove their case of them using DOI only as a tool, and aren't actually commited to doing it.

So I think tactically the NHL made an interesting move here, as the PA now has a decision to make.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
du5566*

Fehr will again counter offer on a take it or leave it deal with his own proposal which again won't have revenue split 50/50 and the season will be lost. Next step? Courts where Fehr will attack the cap.

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Dado

vCash:
That's it? That's all the change proposed?

Seems like a bit of a nothing burger, really.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:03 AM
i am dave

Has anyone kept a tally of formal proposals from either side?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:07 AM
JuniorNelson

I think the PA takes it. Bettman doesn't appear to be bluffing, at all. Nobody wants to take this further.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Fehr will again counter offer on a take it or leave it deal with his own proposal which again won't have revenue split 50/50 and the season will be lost. Next step? Courts where Fehr will attack the cap.
Oh that's fine, I wouldn't care if there was no longer a salary cap. But the players can stick their guaranteed contracts where the sun don't shine. Buh-bye.

Which would you rather have?

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
The optics I'm seeing now are the NHL offering this "olive branch" a few days before the DOI "deadline" (in that after Jan 2nd they've have to vote again to DOI as I understand it) So do the players negotiate off of this? If they do, that's fine. If they reject it, now the players are seen as the one with the "hot potato" optically, and unless they've got something right and ready to go within a day or so, Jan 2nd will come up and the view will be from the public "okay, which is it players? Are you going to offer something back or are you going to choose to DOI"-because if they have to take a 2nd vote to DOI, the NHL is going to use that to try and prove their case of them using DOI only as a tool, and aren't actually commited to doing it.

So I think tactically the NHL made an interesting move here, as the PA now has a decision to make.
I completely agree. This puts the NHLPA in an interesting situation. If they respond as a union, then it sort of makes the vote for "disclaimer of interest" seem a bit odd. That leaves them with the option of just ignoring this latest proposal (with concessions, however small) and going ahead with a disclaimer of interest. In that case, it would seem to put them on the back foot, at least on the PR front because it will look like they are stubbornly pursuing that legal track rather than negotiating.

If nothing else, the NHL appears to be displaying some tactical savvy.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I think it's encouraging that the league didn't dismiss the offer in fifteen minutes like they have done before.
Why would they dismiss their own offer?

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
du5566*

Quote:
Haha, the PA's last offer was not a 50/50 split on revenue. They are actually still far apart on that as every point is millions of dollars either way. The years on contract length and CBA length is nothing really compared to revenue share.

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
I'm not so sure. I think that there are too many players who want/need to play this year. I still expect a solution that salvages part of the season.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:10 AM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Why would they dismiss their own offer?
My bad. I didn't read the OP close enough at all.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Xref

I wonder if the new proposal is silent on the term length of the new CBA. Anyone know?

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
If nothing else, the NHL appears to be displaying some tactical savvy.
I think you're spot on, Whilee. It's basically the same offer as before, other than the timing puts things right up against the DOI deadline.

There's nothing stopping the PA from following both paths at the same time, of course.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
stuffradio

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I'm not so sure. I think that there are too many players who want/need to play this year. I still expect a solution that salvages part of the season.
Don Fehr only cares about himself and the highest paid players. The players who need the season are sacrificial to him.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:15 AM
rrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
I wonder if the new proposal is silent on the term length of the new CBA. Anyone know?
10 years with opt-out at 8.

rrasco is offline   Reply With Quote