HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2012, 04:22 AM
  #26
Sif
Registered User
 
Sif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Malmö is bad. Better of to live in copenhagen and travel to Malmö for the games, that would be a much more awesome experince. The tournament should have been held in Västernorrland (Timrå, Sundsvall, Övik) or in Stockholm/Gothenburg).
It's been shown time and time again that it's completely pointless to put any kind of hockey tournament in Stockholm. If you want any kind of attendance at a hockey game there you need to have two local teams facing eachother and even then it's not a given if the football season is still under way.

Malmö is at least close to the continent and have, far and away, the nicest hockey arena in Sweden.

Sif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:58 AM
  #27
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ivösjön
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,339
vCash: 500
It is probably only swedes that have so high expectations that they would call malmö crap, i think it will be fine with most foreigners. (yes i see the joke) ;þ

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:23 AM
  #28
Glory
Registered User
 
Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sif View Post
It's been shown time and time again that it's completely pointless to put any kind of hockey tournament in Stockholm. If you want any kind of attendance at a hockey game there you need to have two local teams facing eachother and even then it's not a given if the football season is still under way.
That's only for aik


But agree it shouldn't be held i Stockholm. Jönköping and Växjö is probably what I would have prefered


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
i think it will be fine with most foreigners. (yes i see the joke) ;þ


Last edited by Glory: 12-28-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:28 AM
  #29
Patchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Don't bother. We don't want any Canadians here.

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:32 AM
  #30
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,768
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
That's only for aik


But agree it shouldn't be held i Stockholm. Jönköping and Växjö is probably what I would have prefered




I dont see a reason to put it at Jönköping/Växjö over Malmö. The best arena in the country by far, lots and lots of fans and as mentioned very many times very close to Copenhagen.

I think Malmö was a good selection

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:38 AM
  #31
Glory
Registered User
 
Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
I just have the feeling that there are more average hockey fans in both Jönköping and Växjö that would go to more games than just Swedens just to se some good hockey.

Not saying it is that way, just what I believe

Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:42 AM
  #32
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
Don't bother. We don't want any Canadians here.
Is that supposed to be funny?

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:46 AM
  #33
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
freetown christiania looks like a dump and sounds like its inhabited by freeloaders on drugs...
It is a dump

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:18 AM
  #34
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,767
vCash: 1100
I think I'm seeing a large bloc of the SD voting contingent in this thread.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:25 AM
  #35
Chall
Registered User
 
Chall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I think I'm seeing a large bloc of the SD voting contingent in this thread.
Malmö is a pretty bad city though. And it's not all because of excessive immigration and so in, it's the closest city that we have to the continent, i.e it's automatically where pretty much all the drugs and weapons and what not pass through when being smuggled to Sweden.

However, it IS a pretty good looking city on the outside with nice architecture and it does actually resemble Copenhagen in a way. It has a good nightlife, shopping and quite a few nice restaurants. I also believe that putting the WJHC there is the right decision as it is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than in the north, and it always feels like putting any kind of tournament in any kind of sport besides football in Stockholm is a terrible, terrible choice.

All in all, Malmö was the best choice, even though I personally think that Malmö as a city should start focusing on cleaning up itself before hosting events such as these.

Chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
  #36
svartgul
Hata Löven
 
svartgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chall View Post
However, it IS a pretty good looking city on the outside with nice architecture and it does actually resemble Copenhagen in a way. It has a good nightlife, shopping and quite a few nice restaurants. I also believe that putting the WJHC there is the right decision as it is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than in the north, and it always feels like putting any kind of tournament in any kind of sport besides football in Stockholm is a terrible, terrible choice.
Do you live in opposite land? Or are you reffering to the STHLM area as "the north"?

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:43 AM
  #37
Chall
Registered User
 
Chall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Do you live in opposite land? Or are you reffering to the STHLM area as "the north"?
Kind of, yeah. I'm fully aware that hockey is huge in eastern/north eastern Norrland. But not so much in the rest of it no? Because I know that Norrland has alot of teams in Division 1 (third tier of hockey in Sweden) and in comparisonto the southern teams in Division 1 the general attendance at hockey games has been.. bad, besides perhaps Björklöven. And the northern teams in Elitserien and Allsvenskanhave been struggling some in attendance aswell, although I guess that applies to all teams to some extent.

At the moment though, it kind of feels like hockey is bigger in the south than in the middle/north.

Chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
  #38
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,767
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Do you live in opposite land? Or are you reffering to the STHLM area as "the north"?
Come on, I'm not even from Sweden but you should know that anyone down south refers to 08 as "the north". Hell, I'm located in nearly the exact center of the country but I may as well live in upper Lapland for what it's worth.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
  #39
Grammar Butcher
Registered User
 
Grammar Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Come on, I'm not even from Sweden but you should know that anyone down south refers to 08 as "the north". Hell, I'm located in nearly the exact center of the country but I may as well live in upper Lapland for what it's worth.
Yup!
North of Gävle= Lapland

Btw. AIK-Timrå sold-out for tonight. Except tickets in the away stand.

(Match played in Stockholm)

Grammar Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
  #40
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,562
vCash: 500

The facts displayed, Sweden doesn't go as north as Finland does.

Cut it off boys, there is no north in Sweden. North starts, where Sweden ends! In Finland, we have the real North

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:31 AM
  #41
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ivösjön
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chall View Post
Malmö is a pretty bad city though. And it's not all because of excessive immigration and so in, it's the closest city that we have to the continent, i.e it's automatically where pretty much all the drugs and weapons and what not pass through when being smuggled to Sweden.

However, it IS a pretty good looking city on the outside with nice architecture and it does actually resemble Copenhagen in a way. It has a good nightlife, shopping and quite a few nice restaurants. I also believe that putting the WJHC there is the right decision as it is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than in the north, and it always feels like putting any kind of tournament in any kind of sport besides football in Stockholm is a terrible, terrible choice.

All in all, Malmö was the best choice, even though I personally think that Malmö as a city should start focusing on cleaning up itself before hosting events such as these.

There is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than north? Can i have what ur smoking? In the south it's football, handball and nothing else. Also anything north of hallandsåsen is lappland ))

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:38 AM
  #42
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
I just have the feeling that there are more average hockey fans in both Jönköping and Växjö that would go to more games than just Swedens just to se some good hockey.

Not saying it is that way, just what I believe
Doesn't Redhawks have the highest average attendence of all teams in Sweden? Thought I read as much atleast.

As for Malmö being a dump, dangerous or whatever - let's just say I doubt those people have visited a big city outside of little Sweden


Last edited by Trotzig: 12-28-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
  #43
gretskidoo
Registered User
 
gretskidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
Doesn't Redhawks have the highest average attendence of all teams in Sweden? Thought I read as much atleast.
In Allsvenskan, yes. Would be around 6-7th place in SEL.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:44 AM
  #44
Chall
Registered User
 
Chall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
There is no question that hockey is bigger in the south than north? Can i have what ur smoking? In the south it's football, handball and nothing else. Also anything north of hallandsåsen is lappland ))
The "no question" part was perhaps a bit too much, still, most of the professional hockey teams in the different divisions are situated in the south/middle, and the attendance in generally higher. This is ofcourse to be expected as the popultation is bigger in the middle/south, but it still doesn't take away the fact that more people come to the games in the south. In general.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's going to be easier to get people to go to the WJHC games in "the south" and the "south/middle" than in the "middle/north" and "north", which is probably why they put it there.

This is a really weird post.

Chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
  #45
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
So I know its a little early as this tournament just started but I've finally given in. I wanna make the trip to Malmo for the 2014 tournament. I fully understand how ticket packages work when the tournament is here in Canada but does anyone know when and how ticket packages for next year will be made available? How much they might be (I'm hoping the tickets themselves are cheaper in Europe then when its played in NA)

Me and a buddy may be down to make the trip to Sweden. I've never been to Europe so why not start with Sweden at Christmas

Any info regarding price, trip packages, cost of anything would be greatly appreciated.
Watch a game. Note all the empty seats. Tickets won't be an issue.

And plan for London at NYE as your flight will likely go thru Heathrow. Or better yet, Barcelona.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:49 AM
  #46
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
In Allsvenskan, yes. Would be around 6-7th place in SEL.
No, they are second behind a team from the "north" :
http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Stat...ttendance/3005

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  #47
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I think I'm seeing a large bloc of the SD voting contingent in this thread.
A madman sees what he sees

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:00 AM
  #48
Chall
Registered User
 
Chall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
No, they are second behind a team from the "north" :
http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Stat...ttendance/3005
DIF and AIK are two of the biggest clubs in Sweden in general, situated in the largest city, with two of the largest fanbases (one might assume atleast), yet AIK's attendance in Elitserien is 4500 people/game. That's 1500 more than for an example Karlskrona HK. Which is a city in southern Sweden with less than 30000 inhabitans. Heck, they had 3000 average attendance in Division 1 aswell.

I'm just writing this so people get some perspective of the bad state of hockey in the "middle" of Sweden, and to SOME extent, the north aswell. It's not as good as it has been, anyway. That could be because the south is catching up or something, I really don't know. I just know that in the county that I live in (Blekinge), hockey is by far the biggest sport. It's huge in Småland aswell.

I'm kind of impressed by Djurgården's attendance though, for being a team in Allsvenskan. I guess if they got rid of Hovet there would be even more people going to the games.


Last edited by Chall: 12-28-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
  #49
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
I'm seeing $544 Halifax to Copenhagen ROUND TRIP for the closest dates to that time xD

siiick

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
  #50
Glory
Registered User
 
Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chall View Post
DIF and AIK are two of the biggest clubs in Sweden in general, situated in the largest city, with two of the largest fanbases (one might assume atleast), yet AIK's attendance in Elitserien is 4500 people/game. That's 1500 more than for an example Karlskrona HK. Which is a city in southern Sweden with less than 30000 inhabitans. Heck, they had 3000 average attendance in Division 1 aswell.

I'm just writing this so people get some perspective of the bad state of hockey in the "middle" of Sweden, and to SOME extent, the north aswell. It's not as good as it has been, anyway. That could be because the south is catching up or something, I really don't know. I just know that in the county that I live in (Blekinge), hockey is by far the biggest sport. It's huge in Småland aswell.

I'm kind of impressed by Djurgården's attendance though, for being a team in Allsvenskan. I guess if they got rid of Hovet there would be even more people going to the games.

Keep in mind that there are 3 big clubs in Stockholm, AIK, Djurgården and Hammarby. Plus there is a lot more to do and see in a city like Stockholm than Karlskrona.

Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.