HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

LeBrun: NHL made new offer to NHLPA on Thursday (12/27)

Old
12-28-2012, 10:16 AM
i am dave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
I wonder if the new proposal is silent on the term length of the new CBA. Anyone know?
Pierre LeBrun tweeted that it was still 10 with an opt out at 8.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

So an 8 year CBA.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
tony d
The man

I get the feeling this is going to be the last offer by the NHL. I think if the players turn this down we can forget about any hockey being played in the NHL this year.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Don Fehr only cares about himself and the highest paid players. The players who need the season are sacrificial to him.
Don Fehr Bettman only cares about himself and the highest paid players the lowest revenue team, which is the one he is trying to sell. The players Fans who need the season are sacrificial to him

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Xref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
So an 8 year CBA.
Yup. LOL.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
stuffradio

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Don Fehr Bettman only cares about himself and the highest paid players the lowest revenue team, which is the one he is trying to sell. The players Fans who need the season are sacrificial to him
Yes, but the Owners told him he can't cancel the season. So this is all on Don Fehr now. What I said and you changed stands.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I get the feeling this is going to be the last offer by the NHL. I think if the players turn this down we can forget about any hockey being played in the NHL this year.
Read that some NHL owners have told Bettman that cancelling the season is not an option.

Not sure how much weight that carries, but sounds like Bettman has to cut some kind of deal to save his job.

I think a deal gets done, probably will take it right to the "deadline" though..

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Yes, but the Owners told him he can't cancel the season. So this is all on Don Fehr now. What I said and you changed stands.
Do you have a link? If he can't cancel the season, I guess we're going to use the old CBA afterall.

Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Read that some NHL owners have told Bettman that cancelling the season is not an option.
Then the PA will be rewarded handsomely for brinksmanship if it truly is an acceptable option to them.

If that truly is the case, Fehr will have done for the PA what "everybody" (including most of HF) said couldn't be done...

Old
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Fehr does not want to get a deal done. The PA hired him to fight this out and win, not cut a deal. The only thing that's going to end this lockout is the league caving completely, and that's going to be up to the Board, not up to Bettman.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Oh that's fine, I wouldn't care if there was no longer a salary cap. But the players can stick their guaranteed contracts where the sun don't shine. Buh-bye.

Which would you rather have?
The league doesn't survive without a cap. At least not as we know it. Maybe if they contract 6-8 teams but without larger revenue numbers and massive revenue share program small market teams will never survive without a cap. Which in turn would put 20 percent of the NHL players out of work. Ironic isn't it?

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Xref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That's it? That's all the change proposed?

Seems like a bit of a nothing burger, really.
Pretty much. I see it is a mini tweak, and more importantly one last knock on the PA's door to see if they'll open it. And as mentioned by others; it shows the courts and the public that the NHL are taking an initiative towards further negotiations, as opposed to the PA sitting back and looking at ways to leverage the NHL. This can be used to counter the PA's claim that the NHL is using a "take it or leave it" stance.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:33 AM
stuffradio

vCash: 336
Quote:
Do you have a link? If he can't cancel the season, I guess we're going to use the old CBA afterall.
We'd only go to the old CBA if the players don't mind the idea that some teams might be cut eventually, thus losing player jobs. The whole reason for the lockout was teams not being able to survive much longer with the old CBA. That's what they say anyways.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:34 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
So what, accept what the players are offering would be his only alternative at this point. And thats not an option either..

People have to realize sometimes there is just not a deal to be had. It happens all the time in personal and business dealings.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
The whole reason for the lockout was teams not being able to survive much longer with the old CBA. That's what they say anyways.
Yes, that's the party line. It's not true - there is sufficient revenue to make everybody whole and profitable without changing the CBA at all - but I do agree that is the party line. And I also understand why the owners would want to negotiate some of that sharing load into the next CBA.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Then the PA will be rewarded for brinksmanship if it truly is an acceptable option to them.
I think this has always been about brinksmanship, which only really gets serious when negotiations are "at the brink". It also assumes that neither side is willing to let the negotiation fail (i.e. season to be cancelled). I can't imagine that either side will want a cancelled season, and we have only now reached the "brink". So, as long as both sides don't lose their cool and this doesn't get excessively emotional, I think we'll see a deal within a couple of weeks.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:36 AM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Fehr does not want to get a deal done. The PA hired him to fight this out and win, not cut a deal. The only thing that's going to end this lockout is the league caving completely, and that's going to be up to the Board, not up to Bettman.
I agree. The only other way I see a deal happening is come the summer the players revolt against the PA leadership and take a deal behind Fehr's back. I am actually amazed they have stayed unified this long. I am sure a good majority of them are pissed about this and would go back to work on the owners first offer. The reality is the average NHL player will NEVER recoup the money lost during this lockout.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:37 AM
moosehead81

Did that "hill we'll die on" become a pimple?

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:38 AM
du5566*

What percentage of NHL players do people think really know what's going on in the lockout?

Old
12-28-2012, 10:39 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
the only source I saw of this was a Bruce Garrioch tweet

"My sources say owners have privately informed Bettman cancelling the season is not an acceptable option".

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
The reality is the average NHL player will NEVER recoup the money lost during this lockout.
That's what was said the last time, too. And it was wrong - the average NHLer benefited tremendously from the last lockout.

Time will tell if history repeats, rhymes, or carves an entirely new path.

Old
Confucius

Quote:
I agree. The only other way I see a deal happening is come the summer the players revolt against the PA leadership and take a deal behind Fehr's back. I am actually amazed they have stayed unified this long. I am sure a good majority of them are pissed about this and would go back to work on the owners first offer. The reality is the average NHL player will NEVER recoup the money lost during this lockout.
A line that is spoken every time there is a lockout or strike but people still do it decade in decade out. Principle is a big motivator for most things in life.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
What percentage of NHL players do people think really know what's going on in the lockout?
Probably about the same percentage as fans.

With the possible exception of the union reps, I really doubt most players are fully aware what's been going on any more than we are. Fehr has been blowing so much smoke it's hard for anyone to really cut through it and get down to the bone.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Hawkscap

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch
My sources say owners have privately informed Bettman cancelling the season is not an acceptable option.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Owners: That's a nice bit of leverage you've got there. Here, let us take that off your hands for you.

Bettman: Thanks awfully.