HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part X: Is There Any Hope? Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
  #401
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
When do we have to sign these guys (McD, DZ, Steps)? After this current (albeit abbreviated) season or before the season even starts? This was their last year under contract, correct? The cap is 60mm for the proposed abbreviated season? I know this is probably a stupid question, but I forget.

If this is the case... kill me.

KreiMeARiver is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:15 AM
  #402
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,588
vCash: 500
We discussed the impact of the CBA and Nash. Hate to do the I told you so but I told you so. The cap dropping in the next CBA. Looking at the Rangers commitments and future commitments. To think there were people who wanted to sign Doan in the summer. SMH. Trading Gaborik alleviates the Rangers cap issues. They free up the space and recoup some assets lost for Nash. Gaby only has 1 year remaining after 12-13. Arbitration will be the same so McDonagh and Hagelin are arb eligible. Stepan isn't. Sauer isn't an issue because of his health. Keeping the cap at $64.3M would have been better but its time to drop the puck. The cap wasn't going up so going into the CBA you knew it remain at $64.3M or decrease slightly. Drop the puck.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:16 AM
  #403
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
When do we have to sign these guys (McD, DZ, Steps)? After this current (albeit abbreviated) season or before the season even starts? This was their last year under contract, correct? The cap is 60mm for the proposed abbreviated season? I know this is probably a stupid question, but I forget.

If this is the case... kill me.
Hey! I thought you were gone until Bettman was out!

After this season, if it does or does not get played.

silverfish is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:17 AM
  #404
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,588
vCash: 500
Garroich tweeted the NHL wants camps to start Jan. 12.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
  #405
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Hey! I thought you were gone until Bettman was out!

After this season, if it does or does not get played.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Yeah I couldn't stay away... when I need a question answered, I'll swallow my pride.

Bottom line is I want hockey, but Bettman still makes me physically ill.

Oh and there is ZERO chance McD leaves this team. ZERO.


Last edited by KreiMeARiver: 12-28-2012 at 10:28 AM.
KreiMeARiver is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:19 AM
  #406
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,588
vCash: 500
From: @andystrickland
Sent: Dec 28, 2012 11:17a

#NHLPA conf call today to discuss recent events 3:00 eastern

sent via Twitter for Android
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/andystrickland/st...94504206917633

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:24 AM
  #407
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,588
vCash: 500
The Rangers still need to sign DZ. Slats and Gorton will find a way to make the numbers work. They will get good value back in any trade they make. The Rangers have many cheap options at forward. Compliance buyout Reds. Play hockey. Drury buyout is off the books after this season.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:31 AM
  #408
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,543
vCash: 500
So, this is THE year for the Cup. Gaborik, Richards AND Nash all on the same team.

Get it done.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:38 AM
  #409
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
We discussed the impact of the CBA and Nash. Hate to do the I told you so but I told you so. The cap dropping in the next CBA. Looking at the Rangers commitments and future commitments. To think there were people who wanted to sign Doan in the summer. SMH. Trading Gaborik alleviates the Rangers cap issues. They free up the space and recoup some assets lost for Nash. Gaby only has 1 year remaining after 12-13. Arbitration will be the same so McDonagh and Hagelin are arb eligible. Stepan isn't. Sauer isn't an issue because of his health. Keeping the cap at $64.3M would have been better but its time to drop the puck. The cap wasn't going up so going into the CBA you knew it remain at $64.3M or decrease slightly. Drop the puck.
You are correct Sir
But if the cap were to remain at $64,3M - then we could still keep the 3 headed dragon and also resign our key RFAs incl MDZ this year - with a wee bit of tweaking. We will in the end see where the cap winds up for next year - if this deal ever gets done. A lot of teams will certainly be in cap hell if it goes down over $10M until next season - that is for certain... And that will create some unexpected opportunities - I would believe, no?

BBKers is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:42 AM
  #410
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,043
vCash: 500
Wait, what did I miss? The season is starting?

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:44 AM
  #411
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
So, this is THE year for the Cup. Gaborik, Richards AND Nash all on the same team.

Get it done.
Would really suck to not even get one year with all of them..

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
  #412
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Wait, what did I miss? The season is starting?
No NHL just made a new proposal including one buyout per team. Optimism maybe nothing anywhere near definite. 3pm Nhlpa conference call

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:46 AM
  #413
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
So no way to keep the 3 head monster for 2 years at all ugh?

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:48 AM
  #414
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Wait, what did I miss? The season is starting?
Fehr would have a real set of balls on him if he plays hardball with this latest offer.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
  #415
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
So no way to keep the 3 head monster for 2 years at all ugh?
I love the people who are all "whoa is me" because of this. This is what happens when your top 3 forwards are signed to big deals. Its not unfair, its inevitable.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:51 AM
  #416
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I love the people who are all "whoa is me" because of this. This is what happens when your top 3 forwards are signed to big deals. Its not unfair, its inevitable.
Huh? Gabs only has this year and next year left. I know it's inevitable but 2 years for a cup run is what the Rangers planNed w Nash trade

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:52 AM
  #417
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
So no way to keep the 3 head monster for 2 years at all ugh?
Yes. I mean no. it is very, very difficult (see previous page at the bottom) if the max cap is at $60M for 2013/2014. Basically not possible. To keep our precious Ghidorah intact.
Unless some other unexpected roster casualties appear...
But let us see a finalized deal and where the cap eventually winds up first.
OK?

BBKers is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
  #418
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Huh? Gabs only has this year and next year left. I know it's inevitable but 2 years for a cup run is what the Rangers planNed w Nash trade
I believe he meant high salary - not length...

Barnaby is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
  #419
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
What is the latest offer including anyway besides one buyout per team?

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:55 AM
  #420
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I believe he meant high salary - not length...
Well then lets drop the puck and win it this year...

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
  #421
Stasis
Mad Decent
 
Stasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FrmNYC-InMTL
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
It may be possible to keep Gabby through next year depending on a few things, but I think the best option is likely a good trade rather than taking it to UFA.

Next year we need to sign McDonagh, Stepan, and Hagelin along with adding whatever DZ is going to cost into the equation and finding replacements for (or re-signing) Halpern, and Eminger/Sauer.

At $70M we'd have $18M minus whatever DZ gets.
-If the cap stays around $64M that's somewhere in the vicinity of $9M to achieve what I described above.
-If the cap goes down to $60M that's around $5M to achieve it. 5 ain't enough... 9 is though.

I can't make any predictions in terms of salaries or cap, that's RB's area of expertise =)

Stasis is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
  #422
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I believe he meant high salary - not length...
Of course I did. Who cares about the length in this conversation?

Gaborik's cap hit is $7M regardless - the fact it expires in 2 seasons just makes him more tradeable, which sure does seem inevitable.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 11:00 AM
  #423
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
What is the latest offer including anyway besides one buyout per team?
Allegedly
  • 1 transitional Compliance buyout (not counting against cap) per team
  • MAX 10% variance between years on new contracts
  • 6/7 years max contract lengths (6 years with free agents/7 years with "own UFAs") on new contracts
  • $300M in "make whole" to players to guarantee most of already signed contracts
  • A 10 year CBA
  • $70,2 M (prorated) cap max for the 2013 season. $60M for 2013/2014
  • 50/50 split on old HRR formula
  • Same rules regarding free agency

Not sure on the AHL stuff regarding cap hits and waivers...

Is that about right?

BBKers is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 11:00 AM
  #424
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,543
vCash: 500
I wonder if Gaby would want to come back as a UFA if we traded him for the last year of his contract...

Jabroni is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
  #425
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
It may be possible to keep Gabby through next year depending on a few things, but I think the best option is likely a good trade rather than taking it to UFA.

Next year we need to sign McDonagh, Stepan, and Hagelin along with adding whatever DZ is going to cost into the equation and finding replacements for (or re-signing) Halpern, and Eminger/Sauer.

At $70M we'd have $18M minus whatever DZ gets.
-If the cap stays around $64M that's somewhere in the vicinity of $9M to achieve what I described above.
-If the cap goes down to $60M that's around $5M to achieve it. 5 ain't enough... 9 is though.

I can't make any predictions in terms of salaries or cap, that's RB's area of expertise =)
He is The Cap Master. Along with Wolfgaze. Agreed. But on the previous page at the bottom I kind of drew it up if ya wanna see...

BBKers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.