HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 09:43 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

vCash: 500
Please God take the deal, knuckleheads. Football season is almost over, the NBA BLOWS, March Madness is for the birds. PLEASE GOD TAKE THE DEAL!

Old
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Anton Volchenkov. In a new york minute.
****ing right

Old
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

I think the Devils could survive without Volchenkov. Burlon has played well in the AHL and it's time to let another young guy get NHL ice time like we did 2 years ago with Fayne.

Larsson - Green
Salvador - Fayne
Zidlicky- Tallinder

Burlon, Harold, Urbom, or Gelinas

Old
12-28-2012, 09:48 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Normally I'd take anything that comes from Eklund with a HUGE grain of salt but it's not out of the question he truly did hear the league made an offer from an NHL player.

He does have some ties to the Flyers and it's not impossible a Flyers player did tell him this.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:57 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Anton Volchenkov. In a new york minute.
It depends how the amnesty buyout works. Are the Devils really going to pay Volchenkov $10 million plus to just go away? He's got like $12-13 million left on the last three years of his deal.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:58 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I think the Devils could survive without Volchenkov. Burlon has played well in the AHL and it's time to let another young guy get NHL ice time like we did 2 years ago with Fayne.

Larsson - Green
Salvador - Fayne
Zidlicky- Tallinder

Burlon, Harold, Urbom, or Gelinas
It would also free up a pretty solid chunk of cash for our "broke" owner in order to invest in guys like Zajac, Clarkson, Elias, Zidlicky who are all turning UFA's and possibly go for someone of need on the open market.

That defensive unit looks pretty solid right there.

If it's a regular buyout like we did with White, Pandolfo and Hunter... It's just not worth it, unfortunately.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:59 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It depends how the amnesty buyout works. Are the Devils really going to pay Volchenkov $10 million plus to just go away? He's got like $12-13 million left on the last three years of his deal.
He isnt worth his cap hit anymore, add to that his broken ankle in the KHL and now he's over 30. I think the Devils would pay the buyout to get rid of that contract.

Girl, don't go away mad... girl, just go away!

Old
12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
It would also free up a pretty solid chunk of cash for our "broke" owner in order to invest in guys like Zajac, Clarkson, Elias, Zidlicky who are all turning UFA's and possibly go for someone of need on the open market.

To me if they start the season in Jan with the age of our roster and our lack of future star power, this is the year to tank and get the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. This isnt the year to finish 9th...

Old
12-28-2012, 10:02 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Why would he take the deal? It's more proof positive the NHL will move the closer the deadline gets.

Even merely negotiating off this deal would at least be a show of good faith but I'm just expecting more games from the PA and more false indignance from the union.
x2

No reason to take this since the drop dead date is still a week or 2 away. Hold out and make the years cap at 7 for all deals and variance to 15%.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:06 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
To me if they start the season in Jan with the age of our roster and our lack of future star power, this is the year to tank and get the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. This isnt the year to finish 9th...
This offseason will probably dictate the next 5 or 6 years of our team. We have a lot of important players heading to free agency and if we lose two or three players (especially Zajac) with a very thin prospect pool up front..... Yikes.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:07 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

I'm optimistic this will get done. The only thing that prevents me from being very optimistic is Donald Fehr. If he's a dick about this the season will be lost. You can tell Bettman was livid in his press conference 2 weeks ago. He'd be even more livid if the NHLPA tries to negotiate off this offer.

Just take the deal fellas, this truly is the best you'll get.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:08 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
This offseason will probably dictate the next 5 or 6 years of our team. We have a lot of important players heading to free agency and if we lose two or three players (especially Zajac) with a very thin prospect pool up front..... Yikes.
I think we're screwed anyway. From my understanding the league is going to punish all back-diving contracts. Kovalchuk's cap-hit might be in the 10 million dollar range after all is said and done.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:10 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
I don't. We have no one to buyout, so I say screw the other teams
um- hello?? we could buy out kovy! then, we’ll finally have our team identity back! no more will players glare at kovy from across the locker room, furious that he signed such a large deal! finally, we can go back to getting bounced in the 1st round! no more will we have a player who doesn’t throw hits! we can finally reverse what was ‘the worst move in devils history’! do it, lou!!!!

Old
12-28-2012, 10:10 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:

If it's a regular buyout like we did with White, Pandolfo and Hunter... It's just not worth it, unfortunately.
A buyout is not going to free up cash, maybe a couple million over three years time at most, and that savings gets negated by whoever replaces Volchenkov on the roster. They might need the cap space if the cap is really going down to $60 million next year but I don't think they'll be 'that' desperate.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
I think we're screwed anyway. From my understanding the league is going to punish all back-diving contracts. Kovalchuk's cap-hit might be in the 10 million dollar range after all is said and done.
The league is not going to retroactively punish teams for back-diving contracts, and certainly not in a way that inflates the cap hit especially if they intend on keeping a 60 million cap.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:46 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
They may set up a punishment for the years left on his contract when he (or other players on similar contracts) retires but they will NOT increase the cap hit. The PA would never accept it because its lost cap space and the owners would never want it because its lost cap space.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Yes I would love to free up money to re sign UFA's too, so first thing get rid of Tallinder even if it's for peanuts. Yeah yeah yeah best CORSI stats on the team whatever. So we're gonna be better than we were from January to June just cause we have him on the team now? Yeah good one. The Fayne/Tallinder pairing caused me to wanna rip my eyes out to ensure I'll never see a bigger trainwreck again. Good news is Fayne will probably be with Greene if both are healthy.

Next thing to free up cash comes this Summer. Give Patty what he wants, but anything more than $2.5 million for Zubrus is OVERPAYMENT. He's 35 years old. He should not be making as much or more than he did last contract. He's not Shane Doan, and I doubt he's a Conn Smythe candidate this year like Salvador. Part of the problem is when Lou lets these guys ''Test'' the market, and has to match what other teams offered if he wants to keep them. That's what happened with Bryce.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:56 AM
goalvalchuk17

They won't take the deal. I think the nhl knows that. But this offer is an ice breaker. And IMO it will lead to a deal.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalvalchuk17 View Post
They won't take the deal. I think the nhl knows that. But this offer is an ice breaker. And IMO it will lead to a deal.
In before we see Fehr's quote of

''Hopefully it's a path for a deal to be made'' Like he's said the last 5 times already.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:03 AM
goalvalchuk17

We will. But nothing fehr says is really significant. This is the last chance. If these talks go bad, there's no way either side will want to meet again before the drop dead date, and if they do they will probably go bad.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:03 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I have no problem with Tallinder. He's not a top pairing d-men but was utilised like one a couple of years ago and got exposed because of that. If he plays within his role, he's a damn fine hockey player.

Let's just say he wouldn't be my 1st option if we need to free up some cap space. The thing is that we have a group filled with middle pairing guys. Let's pray to god that Larsson will be able to be our "go-to-guy" in a couple of years when the rest of our core will start to regress.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I have no problem with Tallinder. He's not a top pairing d-men but was utilised like one a couple of years ago and got exposed because of that. If he plays within his role, he's a damn fine hockey player.

Let's just say he wouldn't be my 1st option if we need to free up some cap space. The thing is that we have a group filled with middle pairing guys. Let's pray to god that Larsson will be able to be our "go-to-guy" in a couple of years when the rest of our core will start to regress.
It's not that I absolutely can't stand Tallinder. I want the A-Train out as much as you do, but I don't think he's going anywhere. I don't think Lou would use the amnesty buyout to banish him either. I think he would try to get him dealt first. I don't even think every team will utilize the buyout. We know Montreal obviously will with Gomez, the Rangers with Redden. There was talk of Vancouver doing it to Luongo about a year ago, but he's got some value for trade so I definitely don't think so. Perhaps Dipietro from the Isles. Maybe Pronger even though he's on LTIR.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 AM
apice3*

People forget that Volchenkov was on the first pair of the best statistical PK of all time.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:12 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
It's not that I absolutely can't stand Tallinder. I want the A-Train out as much as you do, but I don't think he's going anywhere. I don't think Lou would use the amnesty buyout to banish him either. I think he would try to get him dealt first. I don't even think every team will utilize the buyout. We know Montreal obviously will with Gomez, the Rangers with Redden. There was talk of Vancouver doing it to Luongo about a year ago, but he's got some value for trade so I definitely don't think so. Perhaps Dipietro from the Isles. Maybe Pronger even though he's on LTIR.
I don't even think the Rangers would exercise it on Redden, unless that whole NHL cap hit playing in the AHL clause comes to be. Redden is serving as a mentor in Connecticut and I believe the players really like and respect him there. If they buy him out, he's going to get 100% of his money anyway. Might as well use him as a mentor for the next two years instead of paying him the same amount to sit at home.

Pronger would be interesting because of the LTIR and 35+.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
People forget that Volchenkov was on the first pair of the best statistical PK of all time.
And when he went downhill so did that PK.

I don't hate Volchenkov. I hate his salary. I would be happy to have him for a million less, and without the no trade clause. If we didn't have financial problems, or the cap stayed at $70 million I couldn't complain about him. I love Bryce, but his contract sucks too. I think if Lou had re signed him in June he would have stayed for probably $2-$2.5 million a year, and maybe only 2 years. I'm afraid the same thing happens with Zubrus this year. I'm afraid the same thing happens with all our UFA's to be honest. Can you imagine $5 million a year for Clarkson?

Closed Thread