HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IIHF World Juniors

Old
12-28-2012, 08:51 AM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Really solid effort from McCabe in the first. Won a lot of board battles on those PKs.
Grigorenko fired a couple shots, kept his feet moving, and cycled the puck well. Nothing spectacular so far, but a decent start.
Makarov was definitely tested early and made a few really nice stops.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I'm taking a shine to Ryan Hartman. Asked Luedeke, Edwards and Pronman about him yesterday, and they all gave similar reports: energy, plays bigger than his size (5'10'', 182 listed), and has a nice offensive touch (29 pts in 32 games for Plymouth Whalers). They slated him anywhere from late-1st to the 2nd round. I think he'd be a nice 2nd rounder.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:59 AM
sabresfan129103

Shoot the puck Grigs.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Shoot the puck Grigs.
Passing when he's in clean on a 2-on-1? He'll fit in well in Buffalo.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:24 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

McCabe is in Yakupov's head. He's had 2-3 real strong dispossessions of the #1 overall...

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:30 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

This really has been a great game thus far. Everything you like out of the WJC.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Zip15

I've liked all our prospects in this game.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:36 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
McCabe is in Yakupov's head. He's had 2-3 real strong dispossessions of the #1 overall...
Yakupov has been pretty easily stopped so far this tourney. Seems like he keeps trying to do the same thing every time he has the puck: rush down the ice, try to beat all the defenders one at a time, get caught by one, rush a weak shot/lose the puck. Not seeing a whole lot of creativity from him.

ETA: This has been a great game so far. Lots of momentum swings, close calls, etc. Looking forward to the 3rd (and maybe OT?).

Old
12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

In Soviet Russia, end to end rush owns you!

2-1 RUS

Old
12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

RUS wins 2-1. Makarov was a stud.

Queue 'trade Miller, start Markarov' talk in 3....2...1.....

Old
12-28-2012, 10:27 AM
tsujimoto74

Makarov named player of the game for Russia. Came away very impressed with McCabe's effort in this game. He did a great job shutting down Russia's top line.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yakupov has been pretty easily stopped so far this tourney. Seems like he keeps trying to do the same thing every time he has the puck: rush down the ice, try to beat all the defenders one at a time, get caught by one, rush a weak shot/lose the puck. Not seeing a whole lot of creativity from him.

ETA: This has been a great game so far. Lots of momentum swings, close calls, etc. Looking forward to the 3rd (and maybe OT?).
Afinogenov 2.0??

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Sabreality

how was Slepyshev not drafted? I wanted to take a flyer on him late in the draft and was shocked he was never chosen. Are there big questions about him wanting to come over? Can he be signed right now or does he have to re-enter the draft again first?

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Saw bits and pieces, but definitely impressed by McCabe that game. He played a real strong game.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Sabreality

McCabe was steady. Thought Grigs played a strong 'team' game...something Yakupov didnt do.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm taking a shine to Ryan Hartman. Asked Luedeke, Edwards and Pronman about him yesterday, and they all gave similar reports: energy, plays bigger than his size (5'10'', 182 listed), and has a nice offensive touch (29 pts in 32 games for Plymouth Whalers). They slated him anywhere from late-1st to the 2nd round. I think he'd be a nice 2nd rounder.
I'm on that bandwagon too from his play with the Whalers (Draft Thread ) and have liked what I've seen so far in this tournament.

12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'm on that bandwagon too from his play with the Whalers (Draft Thread ) and have liked what I've seen so far in this tournament.
Went to the Whalers game yesterday all pumped to see Hartman again but I forgot he made the USA team.

On a side note they played Saginaw and Kea looked much better than I thought he'd be. He is excellent on the PK (even had a SH assist).

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I've seen the Sweden tuneup game and really liked him then. Didn't see much of him in the bits and pieces I saw of this game.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
how was Slepyshev not drafted? I wanted to take a flyer on him late in the draft and was shocked he was never chosen. Are there big questions about him wanting to come over? Can he be signed right now or does he have to re-enter the draft again first?
He has to re-enter the draft, only his 2nd year of eligibility. I think the biggest concern was that he hasn't really ever said he does want to come over, and he's currently playing in the KHL. Seems like enough talent to take a late waiver on, though I can certainly understand not wanting to use a top 2-3 round pick on a guy who seems content where he is.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
He has to re-enter the draft, only his 2nd year of eligibility. I think the biggest concern was that he hasn't really ever said he does want to come over, and he's currently playing in the KHL. Seems like enough talent to take a late waiver on, though I can certainly understand not wanting to use a top 2-3 round pick on a guy who seems content where he is.
gotcha, thanks for the info.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I think there are some legitimately concerning areas of Yakupov's game. Granted, I haven't seen him a ton but I've seen him in the WJC and a reasonable number of Sarnia games (none in the KHL). He seems to have some Afinogenov to his game. If a defender is patient (as McCabe did a few times today), he will literally stick-handle himself right out of scoring chances (and often, into turnovers).

Also, can we all agree that Camara hit was a clean hit? Hopefully the kid on the receiving end is ok but that hit was beautiful.

Also, what are takes on Jones' play on the GWG? I've seen a lot of people raking him over the coals for it, which is understandable because it resulted in a crucial goal. However, I thought he did an ok job forcing Nichushkin wide (despite Nichushkin having a full head of steam) and Nichushkin made a great play to get to the net but lost the puck and it was put in by the trailer. Jones' job is to force the guy wide there and keep him out of the middle, which he did but then Nichushkin made a play to try to drive the net but lost the puck. From there, it's not Jones' responsibility to puck up the trailing player. I don't know, just my take.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I think there are some legitimately concerning areas of Yakupov's game. Granted, I haven't seen him a ton but I've seen him in the WJC and a reasonable number of Sarnia games (none in the KHL). He seems to have some Afinogenov to his game. If a defender is patient (as McCabe did a few times today), he will literally stick-handle himself right out of scoring chances (and often, into turnovers).

Also, can we all agree that Camara hit was a clean hit? Hopefully the kid on the receiving end is ok but that hit was beautiful.

Also, what are takes on Jones' play on the GWG? I've seen a lot of people raking him over the coals for it, which is understandable because it resulted in a crucial goal. However, I thought he did an ok job forcing Nichushkin wide (despite Nichushkin having a full head of steam) and Nichushkin made a great play to get to the net but lost the puck and it was put in by the trailer. Jones' job is to force the guy wide there and keep him out of the middle, which he did but then Nichushkin made a play to try to drive the net but lost the puck. From there, it's not Jones' responsibility to puck up the trailing player. I don't know, just my take.
The russian player got in front of the net before he lost the puck. Jones needs to either take his man into the boards there or knock the puck somewhere other than in front of the net. He did neither.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:46 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
The russian player got in front of the net before he lost the puck. Jones needs to either take his man into the boards there or knock the puck somewhere other than in front of the net. He did neither.
Pretty much this. He also could have stepped up and taken the body. He had already backed in quite a bit.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
joshjull

I thought offensively the US was too individualistic and cute with the puck. Too many low percentage stupid decisions and not enough grind and battle.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-28-2012 at 01:55 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
That's not true. You can see in the 3rd highlight of the goal (1:35 in this highlights), he clearly lifts his stick before he gets to the net and then the puck bounces off Gibson out to the goal scorer. Taking the man to the boards really isn't an option when a guy has that much speed already, you have to keep him to the outside. Nichushkin made a great play to cut to the net, Jones lifted his stick and the puck essentially took alucky bounce out to the goal scorer.

Both Trochek and Reilly are complete spectators on the play. Neither pick up the puck, neither pick up the trailing man coming in.