HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 10:56 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1 • Part II

Previous thread reached its limit: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1312307

Continue here.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Xokkeu

I was quoting a post, I think it was Dynamo81's when the last thread was closed.

I was going to say that Nichuskin's game winning assist was a bit fortunate with how the puck bounced. Galchenyuk had a similar play but the puck bounced to a Russian defender and was cleared. That's the way the game goes though. Sometimes you get the bounce sometimes you don't.

Also I don't think Galchenyuk had a bad game when he was on the ice like a lot of American fans are saying. I thought he looked energized and tried to make plays. I really would like him moved back to center so that he can handle the puck more. He's a solid defensively player so I don't think he needs to be sheltered on the wing.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:06 AM
RPGrizzly

I know its probably been discussed before but I've always wondered about Gibson's mask. It seems like it would restrict his vision when the puck is low in the slot or in the crease. Does it? It just looked like on the 2nd goal he lost sight of the puck after Nichushkin's rush and didn't know where it was until it was banged home in the slot. Then again it looked like none of the 4 US players crowded down there did either. So does anyone know if Gibson's mask poses any kind of issue?

Old
12-28-2012, 11:07 AM
KareemTrustfund
Frig off Barb

It'll be interesting to see who gets the next start for the Russians. Both Makarov and Vasilevski have been great.

Also, good to see Yakupov going down for that blocked shot in the third. Kucherov and Grigorenko look great together aswell.

Old
Kershaw

Seth Jones is brutal! There is no way he's the next Pronger like HF is hyping him up to be.

Old
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I wish Galchenyuk played more and/or had better linemates...
He should chose to play for Russia for this...

Old
12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I think the US really lacked that killer instinct. with under 5 minutes in the game, they played the same way the did the entire game. Thats not entirely a bad thing as this group looked calm and didnt panic, but I just wanted to see a bit more bite in the final minutes as every point matters in seedings.

I also got frustrated with the amount of times the US gained the zone and had a trailer wide open only to see them work it cross ice or dump it behind the net. cant count the amount of time I screamed "drop the puck back"!! "hes wide open!" Maybe that is an issue of lack of communication between players, but it happened a lot and could have led to many more chances.

Positives:

Gibson looked great. If the US doesnt medal, I doubt it will be on his shoulders. I really like his poise and calm demeaner. Kid looks to be a real bright spot for this team.

We only lost 2-1 to a Russian team playing at home with Galchenyuk and our top line really doing nothing, and our 3rd line Biggs-Trocheck-Lucia really not being on the ice a ton...I take that as a positive as we have a real good team, that should have played better but still outplayed Russia in this loss with some of our better players not doing a lot. We cant have that happen again against Canada, but I take it as a positive to move in the right direction.

Ryan Hartman is a great player. I cant say it enough how impressed with him I am. Everytime he touched the puck he was making something happen. He needs to get moved up to the top line IMO, as he could cause a lot of havoc with Galy.

Our defense was fine, especially Mike Reilly. Very impressed with him away from the puck. From what I felt would be his weakness, kid stepped up and made some impressive plays away from the puck. Overall our defense made mistakes, which is going to happen this early on, but you can see the talent, speed, and puck moving ability of this group. Gostisbehere was solid as well.

Overall it was a good game for the US. We have areas to work on, but I came away impressed that this team didnt get outskated or outworked for much of the game. Our goaltending and defense is fine, which is what usually lets us down. We need some others to step up and get us some more scoring, but that should come over more time together.

and oh yeah....hey Phil Housley, PLAY GALCHENYUK MORE THEN 9 MINUTES!! YIKES!

Old
12-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post

Also I don't think Galchenyuk had a bad game when he was on the ice like a lot of American fans are saying. I thought he looked energized and tried to make plays. I really would like him moved back to center so that he can handle the puck more. He's a solid defensively player so I don't think he needs to be sheltered on the wing.
He looked active and good in the first two periods of course not stand out but this was a difficult match for a single player to try stand out in. Just somewhat disappeared in the third (Which other posters addressed why).

Agree on the lucky bounce with Nichushkin, basically both teams could have scored 5 goals against one another today.

Both teams did a good job staying out of the box although I feel the officials did ignore a few things from both teams (That tackle by the Russian player ) USA did not take any penalties in the second and third period which showed good discipline which is vital against the likes of Canada.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
He should chose to play for Russia for this...
What's the story on this one by the way? Has he ever been offered?

I think him and possibly Barkov would have made the team. Yashkin - very doubtful.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGrizzly View Post
I know its probably been discussed before but I've always wondered about Gibson's mask. It seems like it would restrict his vision when the puck is low in the slot or in the crease. Does it? It just looked like on the 2nd goal he lost sight of the puck after Nichushkin's rush and didn't know where it was until it was banged home in the slot. Then again it looked like none of the 4 US players crowded down there did either. So does anyone know if Gibson's mask poses any kind of issue?
I doubt he would use it if he had trouble with it He had a good game, really impressed with him. Made some big saves at 0-1 and at 1-2. This is a great USA team.

Old
Jtown

Grimaldi is a frustrating player to watch. You can tell he is very talented and has obvious physical talents but he is always too patient with the puck and is trying to make the perfect play. He needs to just get the puck on net and let Miller and whoever else fight for it in the crease.

Old
Peter25

Nichushkin is very Kuznetsov-like.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post

I think him and possibly Barkov would have made the team. Yashkin - very doubtful.
He got rid of his Russian citizenship, said he considers himself American. Obviously he plays for where his heart is so no problem with that. Although I think he only lived four years in the USA and played for Dynamo Moscow in the youth set up, he really is an international citizen due to living in USA, Canada, Russia, Belarus, Germany, Italy

Old
12-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Metalcommand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post

I thought he was Belarussian, not Russian?

Old
12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

very entertaining game that could have gone either way. Chin up US fans this thing is just getting going and your team looks as good as any team.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I thought Miller, Jones and Grimaldi had pretty poor games.

Miller has just been a turnover machine so far in the offensive zone. Tries to stickhandle way too much, when he frankly isn't that great at it.

Jones got burned on the goal, and made some questionable decisions again. He has to be better.

I appreciate Grimaldi's effort, but man, the guy is like Yakupov out there (in the sense that they both puckhog a lot). Holds on way too long.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 603
Only saw the 3rd but it seemed like a good game.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post
Father is Belarussian and mother is Russian, from what I understand he had Russian citizenship when he played junior hockey in Russia for 2 seasons I think.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
He's an Erik Cole clone. People like to rag on him for having tunnel vision and repeating the same play over and over, but Cole scored 35 goals in the NHL last year by doing the exact same thing. You can't stop it.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
He's an Erik Cole clone. People like to rag on him for having tunnel vision and repeating the same play over and over, but Cole scored 35 goals in the NHL last year by doing the exact same thing. You can't stop it.
Nichushkin can make some very smart passes. Guess we will see but at the moment I do consider him to have the potential to become an elite player.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Bure

Quote:
Russian mother , Belarusian father. Born in US , grew up in Russia, moved to Us when 15. I think that's the story lol.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Exactly. His father played for Belarus at the Olympics and World Chmpionships (and he looks like his father), his sister represented Belarus at the figure skating WC, his grandparents still live in Belarus and he spends there 1.5-2 month every year. But some Russians for some reason akt like Gally betrayed them.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:21 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Russian mother , Belarusian father. Born in US , grew up in Russia, moved to Us when 15. I think that's the story lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Nichushkin can make some very smart passes. Guess we will see but at the moment I do consider him to have the potential to become an elite player.
Geezzzzz.... His mother is also Belarusian. What else connects him to Russia?
Gally's father interview after the draft:
http://www.pressball.by/news/hockey/110081
Quote:
I'm Belarusian. My wife is Belarusian, our parents are Belarusians. Alex every year visiting Minsk.

Last edited by bizzz*: 12-28-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
He is bigger than Kuznetsov. 6'4" & 196 lbs. And only 17 y.o.

Old
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I also thought Yakupov was garbage. He has never impressed me in the few times I have seen him play live.

Closed Thread