HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official-2013 World Juniors Thread - STARTS TODAY!

View Poll Results: Who's taking home gold
Canada 101 64.33%
USA 8 5.10%
Russia 22 14.01%
Finland 7 4.46%
Sweden 5 3.18%
Germany 1 0.64%
Switzerland 0 0%
Slovakia 1 0.64%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Latvia 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
really? he looked pretty fast to me.. but then again I never had issues with Hartikainen's speed either

Are you saying Penner\Smyth slow?
I never said he wasn't fast. I said he can't skate.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:05 AM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If Yakupov wasn't an Oiler. Say, if he was a Leaf or a Flame, there would be so much talk around here about how he has been so underwhelming and isn't living up to the hype but because he's an Oiler, it seems that a lot of you guys refuse to see that he is struggling out there. It's always the coaches fault or his linemates, it's never Yakupov's fault.

Look, i've been a fan of Yakupov's from Day 1 and i still have no regrets about the Oilers picking him but i'm just calling a spade a spade. He has been subpar. I know that he blocked a shot on the PK and that's nice and all but it doesn't make up for the fact that he is clearly fighting it out there. I think a lot of it is due to him not dealing well with the pressure of being the captain. Hopefully, he picks up his game as the tournament progresses.
If you look at my post above you will see that I am one of those posters. I am not blind though, I see that he is fighting it a bit. But the blame doesn't lay solely on him as that is they way of the team.

I agree with you, I think he has been underwhelming and can be much better. I also think that he would be showing much better right now if he and his line were on the same page. Mainly because in contrast to his mistakes he is also making many good plays that are going unnoticed because of his line as well.

Also, if I wasn't an oil fan I would definitely be putting down yak. But it would be out of spite

I post the way I do about yak because of all the negativity around him right now. He has been underwhelming....he has NOT been near as bad as some poster have made him out to be.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
If Yakupov wasn't an Oiler. Say, if he was a Leaf or a Flame, there would be so much talk around here about how he has been so underwhelming and isn't living up to the hype but because he's an Oiler, it seems that a lot of you guys refuse to see that he is struggling out there. It's always the coaches fault or his linemates, it's never Yakupov's fault.
He hasn't been able to handle the puck at all, he's trying way too hard to skate through multiple defenders when he should be making the simple play, he's getting knocked off the puck way too easily, he cheats on defense an awful lot and he has been pouty on the bench when he should be pumping up his teammates.

Look, i've been a fan of Yakupov's from Day 1 and i still have no regrets about the Oilers picking him but i'm just calling a spade a spade. He has been subpar. I know that he blocked a shot on the PK and that's nice and all but it doesn't make up for the fact that he is clearly fighting it out there. I think a lot of it is due to him not dealing well with the pressure of being the captain. Hopefully, he picks up his game as the tournament progresses.
There is a difference between not living up to the hype and sucking.
He was not the only Russian who was not passing.. even that 'beauty goal' by that kid could have been considered selfish since he never used his teammates and tried to do it all himself.. Its how the Russians are playing.. There just is no cycle work ..
Yakupov has been underwhelming but isnt sucking. Also, giving him the C wasnt the best move. He is not the leader type and shouldve been just used as a sniper.
Ovechkin was a lock for 50goals and 100+ points before he was made the captain and thought he could be a leader instead of a scorer.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Qrispy

Quote:

It is the coaches "fault". That is the Russian system. A single player carries the puck into the O zone and tries to dangle or take a shot on net. It wasn't just Yakupov trying to do it alone. It was the same thing with every other Russian forward. Why do people not get that? They get high quality chances generated by individual plays. It works great for a power forward like Nichushkin but, for everyone else, not so much.

It's a tight defensive and low scoring system that Yakupov won't dominate in. It's a little disappointing seeing his talent wasted like that but we'll just have to deal with it for the time being.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
There is a difference between not living up to the hype and sucking.
He was not the only Russian who was not passing.. even that 'beauty goal' by that kid could have been considered selfish since he never used his teammates and tried to do it all himself.. Its how the Russians are playing.. There just is no cycle work ..
Yakupov has been underwhelming but isnt sucking. Also, giving him the C wasnt the best move. He is not the leader type and shouldve been just used as a sniper.
Ovechkin was a lock for 50goals and 100+ points before he was made the captain and thought he could be a leader instead of a scorer.
I agree 100% on the captaincy. As well as the difference between being underwhelming and sucking.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
scid14

The bottom line on Yak is that we couldn't have caught a better break in drafting him and he is the best we could've asked for. He has shown us every indication that he should be able to excel in a system with forwards like ours and even make our top players better. I have no doubt he will do this.

There are many people overthinking things when it comes to his game and it is to be expected that he will be criticized until he plays like Ovi. He will be a superstar and that is so evident in his play its silly.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Joe Hallenback

Throwing himself face first into blocking that shot shows me all I need to know about Yakupov

Old
12-28-2012, 11:26 AM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Throwing himself face first into blocking that shot shows me all I need to know about Yakupov
Definitely. I don't understand the complaints about this? So he didn't safely block that shot? He tried and did what it took to win...took one for his team.

Earlier in the game he fell, that wasn't a block. And then he makes a great play like this and people complain? It also shows me all I need to know about the posters that are criticizing Yak

Of course he could use some direction in certain situations. He is still young. He will only get better and that is a scary thing.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:32 AM
CupofOil

FTR, i never said that he sucked, i said that he was underwhelming.
I expect him to be better regardless of the system that the Russian coach implemented.
Yakupov needs to learn how to play better when the game isn't wide open or he will never reach his potential in the NHL which has become a tight checking league.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Joe Hallenback

I always said he looked terrible on Russia. I think the North American game suits him better. He just tries to do too much on Russia and honestly it hurts his game. I would rather he lurk in the weeds and pop up every now and then

Old
12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
scid14

Quote:
I expect him to be better regardless of the system that the Russian coach implemented.
Yakupov needs to learn how to play better when the game isn't wide open or he will never reach his potential in the NHL which has become a tight checking league.
In my opinion. I like seeing Yak play the way his coach wants. Shows he can buy in to a coaches system. If he does that in Edmonton we are in for a treat because it won't be anything like the Russian coach is running at this tourney. I have faith in Ralph enough to use Yak to his full abilities.

Its not that he can't play in a tight checking game or that he needs it to be wide open to excel. Its all about running your systems, and he is still fighting a battle in that aspect.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Yakapov's smile shows me all I need to know.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
Yakapov's smile shows me all I need to know.
Haha the kid just loves to win and loves for his team to do well more than anything.

I think he would be the first to say that he could be doing better and more than that he will actually take the steps to improve what isnt working which is a great quality.

For everyone saying he isn't living up to expectations don't worry. He isn't living up to his either and I think we will see that improve over the course of this tourney. All depends on what course Russia takes too though.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
The tight checking isn't the problem. The fact that no one is passing him the puck in the offensive zone is the problem. His entire game is built around breaking in off the rush and slipping into open spots to let off laser beam one timers.

He's beavertapping like crazy because he knows his teammates have managed to negate one of the most potent offensive weapons in the tournament with their poorly coached selfish play.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:43 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
In my opinion. I like seeing Yak play the way his coach wants. Shows he can buy in to a coaches system. If he does that in Edmonton we are in for a treat because it won't be anything like the Russian coach is running at this tourney. I have faith in Ralph enough to use Yak to his full abilities.

Its not that he can't play in a tight checking game or that he needs it to be wide open to excel. Its all about running your systems, and he is still fighting a battle in that aspect.
Yeah, he's having trouble adjusting. I personally think that the KHL is a bad place for his development because it's such a wide open league with defense being optional so it's no wonder that he's having trouble in a tight checking environment.
Hopefully, Krueger can coach him up because Yakupov is a bit of a project at this point and he needs to be taught discipline while at the same time, not taking away from his offensive creativity. I know that a lot of folks around here are going to hate it but i have a feeling that Kreuger places Yakupov on the Horcoff line to start the year because coaches seem to value Horcoff's 2 way ability for some reason and i bet that they look at him as a mentor for Yak.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Qrispy

One thing that really bugs me is the Russian PP. God does that thing ever suck. They can't even setup Yak for his rocket one-timer.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:51 AM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
One thing that really bugs me is the Russian PP. God does that thing ever suck. They can't even setup Yak for his rocket one-timer.
Schultz is actually the perfect person to do that. That is something that I think people haven't really thought about as much. Really excited to see them on the pp together.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Yak, to no surprise, is taking a beating on the main board.

Though zero goals in ten games is fair game for criticism.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Zine

Quote:
Yeah, he's having trouble adjusting. I personally think that the KHL is a bad place for his development because it's such a wide open league with defense being optional so it's no wonder that he's having trouble in a tight checking environment.
Hopefully, Krueger can coach him up because Yakupov is a bit of a project at this point and he needs to be taught discipline while at the same time, not taking away from his offensive creativity. I know that a lot of folks around here are going to hate it but i have a feeling that Kreuger places Yakupov on the Horcoff line to start the year because coaches seem to value Horcoff's 2 way ability for some reason and i bet that they look at him as a mentor for Yak.
Disagree.

KHL teams would annihilate WJC clubs, and there are tight checking KHL teams too.

Varnakov is not using Yakupov is the right way and Yakupov is trying to do too much. Yakupov is not a player who should 'lead' or be the 'focal point' of an offense. Yakupov is at his best with a good center who can take the pressure off so he can weave in and out of traffic and do his magic.

Neftekhimik uses him in this manner and he's fantastic. If Edmonton uses him the same way Yakupov will do fine.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Lost in all the panic over Yakupov, how much trouble are the Americans in? Didn't think they looked good at all considering the Russians spent all night looking disconnected and trying to one vs all the US defense all game. This game was up for grabs, and if the Americans were even remotely effective this would have easily been a different result.

Not to mention the guy the hand-wringing second-guessing crowd have pegged as the guy the Oilers missed out on was utterly invisible all game long(Galchenyuk).

Old
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Joe Hallenback

The states don't really have any high end offensive guys outside of Galchenyuk. They have the midgets on that first line and a bunch of mid to late round draft picks. I think they are going to struggle to score

Old
12-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Lost in all the panic over Yakupov, how much trouble are the Americans in? Didn't think they looked good at all considering the Russians spent all night looking disconnected and trying to one vs all the US defense all game. This game was up for grabs, and if the Americans were even remotely effective this would have easily been a different result.

Not to mention the guy the hand-wringing second-guessing crowd have pegged as the guy the Oilers missed out on was utterly invisible all game long(Galchenyuk).
+1 on that.

The overrating of Galchenyuk was becoming insufferable. Good player but people thinking we should have drafted him over Yakupov already? Seriously.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Well at least Nail showed the will to win by trying to block shots late. We are in a position that even if he becomes the least best of our other 3 forwards that'd we'd still be alright assuming that he can at least be a legit 2nd line player. Hopefully he gets his offensive game going soon.

12-28-2012, 12:38 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Well at least Nail showed the will to win by trying to block shots late. We are in a position that even if he becomes the least best of our other 3 forwards that'd we'd still be alright assuming that he can at least be a legit 2nd line player. Hopefully he gets his offensive game going soon.
Definitely. However I don't see him becoming the least best at all. There is some misplaced panic on these forums right now. That will change soon. Yak will preform to expectations..may take a little time but he will.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
+1 on that.

The overrating of Galchenyuk was becoming insufferable. Good player but people thinking we should have drafted him over Yakupov already? Seriously.
Yeah this is silly. Both amazing players that will be stars. But its funny that the same people saying we should have drafted gally are the same people ripping yak for being underwhelming when gally has been just as if not more underwhelming.

Yet BOTH players have shown what is going to make them elite at different points in their respective games.

Closed Thread