Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 10:58 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Final game of the Summit Series and being behind in an important WJC game are not pressure points how? You also don't think he produced during these pressure situations?

A lot hockey people would disagree with you including our GM who has commented on this aspect.
I agree that he played well, but I don't want to get into another clutch debate.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:06 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Neither gets the props they deserve yet on the main boards, but that will come. It looks good for our future.
Scheifele doesn't play flashy hockey, so he will probably never get the kind of credit that some of his peers will receive. I love his smart possession game though.

It seems to me that Scheifele helps slant the ice almost every time he is out there. Even when he was in Winnipeg he seemed to help control the flow of the game. Of course he was very sheltered in his Winnipeg stint, but the game never looked to fast for him.

I am still not sure he will be an elite scorer at the next level, but I am very curious to see how it his game translates.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Scheifle been fantastic on that line. Doing all the dirty work for the other 2 guys. They have really dominated as a group. Someone has to take all the abuse and Scheifle has said I will take it. Going to be a real leader here.

You can just see the type of players Chevaldayoff and company like to draft. Scheifle and Trouba do it all and play the game hard. That is the type of team they want here, one that comes to the rink every night and works harder then the opposition.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Scheifele doesn't play flashy hockey, so he will probably never get the kind of credit that some of his peers will receive. I love his smart possession game though.

It seems to me that Scheifele helps slant the ice almost every time he is out there. Even when he was in Winnipeg he seemed to help control the flow of the game. Of course he was very sheltered in his Winnipeg stint, but the game never looked to fast for him.

I am still not sure he will be an elite scorer at the next level, but I am very curious to see how it his game translates.
I would be quite fine with a 65 point two-way player who hits the 30 goal plateau a couple of times in his career. I think that's attainable, if he turns into more great!

Old
12-28-2012, 11:57 AM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Trouba looked like a man out there. Kind of good and bad, he is good enough at this level to separate guys from the puck, but he tends to take himself out of position. He has all the skills you can't teach though.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I would be quite fine with a 65 point two-way player who hits the 30 goal plateau a couple of times in his career. I think that's attainable, if he turns into more great!
Agreed. The last 3 Stanley Cups were won by teams that had 30, 30 and 25 goal leading scorers, respectively. if Scheif can peak at 30 goals and have a couple of 40+ assist years (eminently possible IMO) then, along with his other assets, he'll be great. We just have to assemble the right players around and behind him. It's so tempting to look for the silver bullet of a 50-goal scorer, but that's not necessarily what is needed.

Last edited by scelaton: 12-28-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Agreed. The last 3 Stanley Cups were won by teams that had 30, 30 and 25 goal leading scorers, respectively. if Scheif can peak at 30 goals and have a couple of 40+ assist years (eminently possible IMO) then, along with his other assets, he'll be great. We just have to assemble the right players around and behind him. It's so tempting to look for the silver bullet of a 50-goal scorer, but that's not necessarily what is needed.
Even with Pittsburgh won the cup in 2009, Gino had 35 goals (113 pts) and Sid had 33 goals (103 pts). The next leading scorer on the Pens was Staal 49 pts (22 gs). So if Scheifele develops into a player that approaches 30 goals in a few yrs - along with Kane, Ladd, Little and maybe even Wheeler - the Jets would be in very good shape.

Imagine if the Jets are fortunate enough to draft Mackinnon, Drouin or Shinkaruk - guys who appear to be, potentially, 30+ goal scorers - that's a very nice collection of scorers.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:07 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
You know guys, if we pick high this upcoming draft, I could really live with us picking another righty defenseman in Jones...
Back in Canada so catching up on my reading.
This is hillarious. Could you imagine a D corpse of only one lefty (Enstrom). We'd be the envy (handidness-wise) of the league having an excess of a tough to find position haha.
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Trouba-Bogosian
Redmond-Jones
Postma
(So many possible variations depending on year/usage)
Hahahahahah

Old
12-28-2012, 01:14 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Even with Pittsburgh won the cup in 2009, Gino had 35 goals (113 pts) and Sid had 33 goals (103 pts). The next leading scorer on the Pens was Staal 49 pts (22 gs). So if Scheifele develops into a player that approaches 30 goals in a few yrs - along with Kane, Ladd, Little and maybe even Wheeler - the Jets would be in very good shape.

Imagine if the Jets are fortunate enough to draft Mackinnon, Drouin or Shinkaruk - guys who appear to be, potentially, 30+ goal scorers - that's a very nice collection of scorers.
I agree.

I wasn't really talking about goals though. Kane can have all the goals, but we need Scheifele to turn into a 60+ point player if the Jets are going to contend regularly.

EDIT

I really like the idea of a Kane / Scheifele / Wheeler line in a couple years.

If Scheifele gets to that point, his skills should fit in nicely with that duo.

Last edited by truck: 12-28-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 01:35 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Scheif had a great game on so many levels. Really liked how he was able to come back and just shake off some dirty hits. The one negative thing I can say - and I've said this since he played his first pre-season game with us - he really needs to be more careful when he doesn't have the puck. More than a few incidental contacts, one with his own player. He also has a bad habit of letting his guard down after the play has ended.

On a very positive note, he seems to understand positional play better than anyone else on the team. He always seems to plug the holes when a player is out of position. I think this is from listening to the coach during the game. It was always Scheifele coming back to cover a defenceman when he pinched. It was always Scheifele going to the front of the net when the D was drawn out of position.

He had a few weird passes, but again that's due to other players being out of position (including RNH). But for the most part his passing was very fast and crisp.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Back in Canada so catching up on my reading.
This is hillarious. Could you imagine a D corpse of only one lefty (Enstrom). We'd be the envy (handidness-wise) of the league having an excess of a tough to find position haha.
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Trouba-Bogosian
Redmond-Jones
Postma
(So many possible variations depending on year/usage)
Hahahahahah
It's about time someone brought Randy Jones back on the Jets roster, but shouldnt he be a top 4 guy?
I love Schief's game, hard working kid. And the thing that impresses me the most about Trouba is his composure on the ice, he looks cool like a cucumber, but he might have a hard time cracking the Jets roster ahead of Randy Jones!

Old
12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
It's about time someone brought Randy Jones back on the Jets roster, but shouldnt he be a top 4 guy?
I love Schief's game, hard working kid. And the thing that impresses me the most about Trouba is his composure on the ice, he looks cool like a cucumber, but he might have a hard time cracking the Jets roster ahead of Randy Jones!
Ha ha ha :p

Old
12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Scheifle been fantastic on that line. Doing all the dirty work for the other 2 guys. They have really dominated as a group. Someone has to take all the abuse and Scheifle has said I will take it. Going to be a real leader here.

You can just see the type of players Chevaldayoff and company like to draft. Scheifle and Trouba do it all and play the game hard. That is the type of team they want here, one that comes to the rink every night and works harder then the opposition.
Thus in lies the key Joe

I firmly believe Kevin knows exactly what he wants. I have no idea whether his vision will work but I know he has a formula that he believes will lead to championships. Just like the Wings know what they want their team to be like and what pieces fit, Chevy knows what he wants "a Jet" to be. I think it's important to not get too distracted by what assets we inherited if you want to know where we will be one day look at Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, Kosmo, Sutter (I know I know), Yuen. High character, never quit, tough to play against, team first types.

the sum will be greater than the parts and in that I have zero doubt

Last edited by Jet: 12-28-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: fixed tags
Old
12-28-2012, 03:45 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
I can see Scheff already higher on the depth chart than a certain Jets player who wears #8, actually number 8 would be better served playing in the AHL when and if the NHL season ever begins.

Scheff goal scorer, #8 NOT

Scheff plays with heart and guts, #8 plays

Scheff playmaker, #8 not so much

Scheff good hockey sense, #8 not much hockey sense

Scheff able to read the play, #8 what play

Scheff okay skater, #8 great skater

Scheff okay dresser, #8 likes to dress up in western wear

Old
12-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Neither gets the props they deserve yet on the main boards, but that will come. It looks good for our future.
Amen to that, especially Scheifele.

I would add that he sometimes doesn't get enough here either.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I can see Scheff already higher on the depth chart than a certain Jets player who wears #8, actually number 8 would be better served playing in the AHL when and if the NHL season ever begins.

Scheff goal scorer, #8 NOT

Scheff plays with heart and guts, #8 plays

Scheff playmaker, #8 not so much

Scheff good hockey sense, #8 not much hockey sense

Scheff able to read the play, #8 what play

Scheff okay skater, #8 great skater

Scheff okay dresser, #8 likes to dress up in western wear
Burmi is a very solid defensive player. That doesn't happen without hockey sense or an ability to read the play. I'd say they are pretty comparable at this point. Neither is a finished product. I don't really get questioning Burmi's heart or guts either.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Aerial

Quote:
I don't really get questioning Burmi's heart or guts either.
Me either. Kid is such a spitfire on the ice -- just look at how he took on Chara or Ovechkin during the season. He plays with such a passion and glee for the game -- never shies from physical play, never hesitates to get in people's faces, always the last one off the ice at warm-up, etc. He's always seemed all heart to me.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:40 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Burmi is a very solid defensive player. That doesn't happen without hockey sense or an ability to read the play. I'd say they are pretty comparable at this point. Neither is a finished product. I don't really get questioning Burmi's heart or guts either.
That's what's so frustrating with him. He has all the tools, but they don't seem to click. He should be a "no question" 2nd line C.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Bob E

Quote:
I agree.

I wasn't really talking about goals though. Kane can have all the goals, but we need Scheifele to turn into a 60+ point player if the Jets are going to contend regularly.

EDIT

I really like the idea of a Kane / Scheifele / Wheeler line in a couple years.
If Scheifele gets to that point, his skills should fit in nicely with that duo.
Kane needs to play with a playmaker, no doubt about that. I like that line, as there would be 2 playmakers and two shooters (if Scheifele continues to develop a shooter's mentality). I just don't see Wheeler getting that many goals, as he is a pass first player. But as a set-up man, he's solid.

So, Scheifele becomes the key (sometime shooter/sometime playmaker) and he does have the ability to 'make the right play' beit a shot or pass. His hockey IQ is quite high, so i can see it working too, especially if Mark doesn't pass up the chance to shoot. Playing with RNH, he seems to have developed that shooter's mentality. Wheeler hasn't, and i don't think he will, he just doesn't have confidence with his shot (and honestly, rightly so).

That's why this draft is intriguing to me (if the Jets draft in the top 5 or so), i'm not sure what i like best. Assuming Ladd and Little continue on the 2nd line, do they need a scorer/playmaker high IQ (drouin, barkov), more individual scorer (mackinnon, shinkaruk) or a high-end playmaker (lindholm).

I know that's not how they will draft, they will draft BPA based on team tendencies, but it's interesting to see how the pieces might fit in a few years. That's why i like a hard-working, tenacious player like Lindholm (who might be a Peter Forsberg-type all-around stud), or a character sniper like Shinkaruk (pure scorer) more so then some other prospects as they may be a better long-term fit for the Jets.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
That's what's so frustrating with him. He has all the tools, but they don't seem to click. He should be a "no question" 2nd line C.
Agreed. He's a pretty decent defensive center, with high-end skill. You would think that skill would translate into scoring points, and i think most of us hope it does, but it just hasn't to-date. He's still young, so it may come.

Having a 3rd line center with all that skill may not be a bad thing either, though.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:16 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

I see Scheifele developing into a very cerebral type player with high skill level who just goes about his business and gets the job done. He will likely never be elite, but he will be a perfect complimentary player in the top 6.

The more I watch him, the more he reminds me of a Patrick Sharp type player. If that's what he develops into, I'd be extremely happy with that.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:22 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I see Scheifele developing into a very cerebral type player with high skill level who just goes about his business and gets the job done. He will likely never be elite, but he will be a perfect complimentary player in the top 6.

The more I watch him, the more he reminds me of a Patrick Sharp type player. If that's what he develops into, I'd be extremely happy with that.
During the draft that year, TSN had a little "comparable" box for each player that showed up on the screen. Pretty sure his comparable was Sharp.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:31 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
During the draft that year, TSN had a little "comparable" box for each player that showed up on the screen. Pretty sure his comparable was Sharp.
He also reminds me of Zajac but with more offensive upside. The one thing that scares me about Canada is the tender, he's athletic but his rebound control is horrible!

Old
12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
surixon

Quote:
He also reminds me of Zajac but with more offensive upside. The one thing that scares me about Canada is the tender, he's athletic but his rebound control is horrible!
Yeah Subban doesn't seem that comfortable in net right now.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:52 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Amen to that, especially Scheifele.

I would add that he sometimes doesn't get enough here either.
I think some of you may have spoken too soon, there is a Kessel for Scheifele trade on the trade board started by a Leafs fan lol.

Closed Thread