HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Junior Discussion

Old
12-28-2012, 03:44 AM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
I feel like I say this every game, but Wotherspoon is a pylon out there. Him and Murphy on for the first goal against, in what was a surprise to no one. Ritchie should have had that guy though.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:51 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I feel like I say this every game, but Wotherspoon is a pylon out there. Him and Murphy on for the first goal against, in what was a surprise to no one. Ritchie should have had that guy though.
A lot of meh on the blue-line. How Corrado did not crack *this* blueline is a mystery to me.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
A lot of meh on the blue-line. How Corrado did not crack *this* blueline is a mystery to me.
The blueline looks pathetic right now.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:00 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Lipon with a minor and 10 minute misconduct.

EDIT: 5 minute major and game.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Gutchecktime

Perhaps no non-Canucks fans will give you guys the satisfaction of saying this on the main board but as a Leaf fan, I absolutely agree with you guys: would've taken Corrado.

Wish he would quit force feeding Murphy minutes as well.

Gutchecktime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:07 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Perhaps no non-Canucks fans will give you guys the satisfaction of saying this on the main board but as a Leaf fan, I absolutely agree with you guys: would've taken Corrado.

Wish he would quit force feeding Murphy minutes as well.
Playing Murphy with Rielly isn't doing anyone any favours either.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:12 AM
timw33

Losing Ryan Murray was a huge loss.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Lard_Lad

Guess it's better to get a wakeup call in the second game than in the first period of the final. I'm not holding out much hope of Spott suddenly getting the kids under control, though, so it's going to have to come from somebody like RNH.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Guess it's better to get a wakeup call in the second game than in the first period of the final. I'm not holding out much hope of Spott suddenly getting the kids under control, though, so it's going to have to come from somebody like RNH.
RNH is going to have to go Nashville!Kesler the entire tournament then...

Old
12-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
RNH is going to have to go Nashville!Kesler the entire tournament then...
Which should be entirely possible for him. Guess this is where we find out if he's really a guy that's going to give us trouble for the next few years, or just another soft, flashy Oiler.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Which should be entirely possible for him. Guess this is where we find out if he's really a guy that's going to give us trouble for the next few years, or just another soft, flashy Oiler.
Makes me feel torn. On one hand, I hope he sucks because he's an Oiler. On the other hand, I hope he becomes a superstar and represent Burnaby well. Maybe he can come home for FA?

Old
12-28-2012, 04:51 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Canadian fans should be upset at Canada's terrible play rather than a call that is generally called in international hockey.

Canada isn't winning anything like this.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:05 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Ryan Murphy is absolutely terrible

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:05 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
"Yes!!! In spite of adversity (crap reffing) Canada gets it done!"

... That's after the massive dive from Schieffle.

TC homers are the worst kind of homers.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:06 AM
timw33

Canada just started playing International hockey, great dives leading to great goals.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:09 AM
Lard_Lad

Looks like we woke up. Still far from perfect, but at least we're doing simple, sensible things in response to the chances they're giving us.

Huberdeau's been awful tonight. No vision at all, and he's actually taken away space from himself a few times by closing in on a backpedalling Slovak when he has the puck.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:12 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

10 forwards vs Russia could be interesting

Old
12-28-2012, 05:14 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Looks like we woke up. Still far from perfect, but at least we're doing simple, sensible things in response to the chances they're giving us.

Huberdeau's been awful tonight. No vision at all, and he's actually taken away space from himself a few times by closing in on a backpedalling Slovak when he has the puck.
Feel that way about MacKinnon too

Old
12-28-2012, 05:17 AM
timw33

Camara's hit was clean.

We could have drafted him over David Honzik too (along with 5-6 other guys who are far better than Honzik).

Old
12-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Camara's hit was clean.

We could have drafted him over David Honzik too (along with 5-6 other guys who are far better than Honzik).
Lucic-Camara on opposite wings in Boston won't be much fun to play against in a couple of years.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:09 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Camara's hit was clean.

heck we would of gotten Jordan Binnington. The goalie that made Team Canada vs the goalie that didn't make Team Czech. Sucks we don't even have a single prospect on the tourney and have so little every year.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Hammer79

It was the tale of two games. There was an initial 3-1 lead by Slovakia after a pair of majors, the second of which was questionable at best. The Slovak player was skating with his head down and got taken out by a clean check along the boards. Canada roars back with 5 unanswered goals. Canada benefits from some questionable calls, ties the game with the help of their lethal PP.

Hammer79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post

10 forwards vs Russia could be interesting
We play the US first don't we?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Some thoughts on the game...

- The officating wasn't bad, IMO. I think they penalized the result rather than the play on Camara, which was unfortunate, but Lipon's 5-and-a-game was well deserved. Blatant elbow to the head, and that's an IIHF no-no.

- After an awful first game, Ryan Murphy's start to this one was no better. His turnover up the boards lead to the first Slovakian goal. To his credit, he improved as the game went on and actually had a few very strong shifts - but he's far and away the weakest link on the blueline at this stage, IMO.

- Scheifle with a big, big game. Took a lot of lumps, was involved offensively, drew some penalties (even if he had to dive to get them)...really asserted himself here, which was important, because Nugent-Hopkins was meh and Huberdeau was flat out terrible.

- I want to single out Huberdeau here, actually; guilty of trying to do way, way, way too much by himself. He'll try to stickhandle his way through three or four players, which might cut it against some lesser countries, but the game the Slovaks played against Russia should have served as sufficient warning that this was going to be a tougher team to beat. The guy oozes talent, but he needs to stop trying to be so individualistic.

- One positive to be taken from the fact that we lost Camara and Lipon was that Spott had no choice but to start boosting MacKinnon's ice time. We need to see more of him and Drouin on the same line - the two of them cycle the pucks in a most Sedin-like fashion, and they have the talent to put up some points. More please.

- Subban once again was OK. He did nothing to lose the starting job, but he also didn't really do anything to make you sit back and say "wow, this is the guy who's going to backstop us to the gold". He'll get the start against the US, and that will be his first big challenge. I hope he's up to it.

- I see a few criticisms of Wotherspoon here and there, but I don't see it. I think he's actually been reasonably solid. There hasn't really been a defender on the blueline who has stuck out as being a star, but there's been some solid contributors. Wotherspoon, Reinhart, Hamilton, Harrington, Ouellet and Reilly have all been pretty decent. Murphy has been the most noteable (for the wrong reasons) of the bunch.

Anyway - good for the team to face a little adversity and to come through it unscathed. Hopefully they grow from this. Keys I want Spott to take from this game (and I'm not sure he will, but oh well...)

1) Drouin-Strome-MacKinnon. That line needs to happen more.

2) Stop force-feeding Murphy ice-time. If he keeps struggling like he has, he will just continue to be a liability.

3) Tell Huberdeau to snap out of it. He has two terrific linemates - use them.

And as a bonus, tell the guys to ease up on the hitting on the forecheck. I feel Camara's was clean, but Lipon's was just stupid. No need to put your team short-handed to throw a lame hit in a nothing game.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
By the way - per TSN, there will be no supplemtentary discipline for Camara (good).

Also found this interesting:

Quote:
@markhmasters: Hamilton: Slovaks got 'cocky' & taunted Canadian bench after goals; RNH, MacKinnon also react to comeback win http://t.co/0s3vtpyC (vid)
Looks like the good guys had no shortage of motivation.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote