HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PPM Part VIII: Sponsor Offers are in for Hockey!

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 07:03 PM
canucks357

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald76 View Post
Hockey is becoming a farce to be honest - that sort of spend should not be possible...
EVER.
I'm glad they adjusted the economic situation such that 20th I.1 > 1st II.X but they still need to work on HOW MUCH teams make. I've spent $242M since day one on my team for player salaries. That is paid for entirely by skybox and souvineir cash. In my books, expenses should be higher and income lower - especially player salaires... they're way too low. If you got a 2,000 OR player... then pay 5M/day for him. That'd get people to start thinking about slowing training down and managing training rates.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:05 AM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
What's a rough HAPM currency ratio?

I think of my TF as being at level 22.5 and costing 650k a day to maintain. I'm not sure how many teams can afford to have the Big 4 with maxed facilities and staff (minus scouting for managers), but I would assume that the top 0.1% or so can/will be able to.
There's more money in HA, but we're in season 45 or 46. Icko, the guy running HA has been doing different things to fix the economy. one of his relatively recent moves was to increase the cash paid. Someof the older teams were sitting onpiles of money and it was hard to catCh them. So he made their money less valuable The result is that there's been several players going for over a billion in recent seasons. But that's because they have +3 loyalty players. Which means that player will never leave you're team unless you fire or sell them. That's worth the extra money in some cases. Although I would never go over a billion personally.

They have the same types of problems over there, but the narrower league structure keeps things interesting. There's only two II leagues, four III, and so on. So you're rarely stuck between leagues. You don't dominate a III league and then get crushed in II. Usually. Sme teams aren't prepared for the jump.

Quote:
This article (in English)?

"What can the managers look forward to in 2013?

The biggest news which wasn't published yet, is that we plan to launch a brand new version of soccer or hockey server. The biggest disadvantage of PPM is, that the people who join the game after three or four years are demotivated and the game is not the same for them. We would like to do something like "hockey 2" or "soccer 2", that means new server where everyone will start from scratch and it will be very similar to the current one. The biggest issues will be dealt with and some smaller details which people complain about will also be addressed. For example I can tell you that we would like to have 2 games a day. But all of this is very complicated and it's still only a plan at the moment."

Source Link
What the heck does that mean? New teams would go to soccer 2? Or does everyone migrate over there? I wonder what type f changes they're considering. I'm surprised that this hasn't been talked about more.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:27 AM
suprvilce

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
I'm glad they adjusted the economic situation such that 20th I.1 > 1st II.X but they still need to work on HOW MUCH teams make. I've spent $242M since day one on my team for player salaries. That is paid for entirely by skybox and souvineir cash. In my books, expenses should be higher and income lower - especially player salaires... they're way too low. If you got a 2,000 OR player... then pay 5M/day for him. That'd get people to start thinking about slowing training down and managing training rates.
Wait, is that true now? So does a 20th team in II.X league make more than 1st in III.X league? I thought only about 10 teams in the higher league make more than the top team in lower league. Does that mean it's woth to promote even if you won't win any games?

Btw, anyone saw Leggman's newest pull? 470 OR 6/6! So lucky

Edit: was just thinking about what you said to give top players 5M /day salary, why not just do what the NHL did, implement salary cap, so team would have only few top players, not entire lineup out of superstars? And maybe add 50 or so contract limit, fine would still be payed if more than 40 players, but there would also be limit so top teams with billions of cash wouldn't be just able to buy any top rookie they would like.

Last edited by suprvilce: 12-27-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old
12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
Wait, is that true now?
The changes were made to make it true... whether it works in all scenarios has yet to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
What the heck does that mean? New teams would go to soccer 2? Or does everyone migrate over there? I wonder what type f changes they're considering. I'm surprised that this hasn't been talked about more.
I think this means you can play on two servers: original and new. Perhaps controlling four teams. It may also mean you can pick one team on one server. If that is the case it'll destroy the original server and leave only the top teams there.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
redcard

Quote:
I think this means you can play on two servers: original and new. Perhaps controlling four teams. It may also mean you can pick one team on one server. If that is the case it'll destroy the original server and leave only the top teams there.
It'll damage the original server either way, as no new teams will be signing up on the first server, and it will ultimately move to a last man standing situation.

It would be interesting to start a brand new soccer and hockey team on even footing with everyone else, but I certainly wouldn't want all the work I've done for my current teams to be for nothing.

One idea that would interest me would be the implementation of youth squads, all of your 20 and under players could play down on your youth squad building experience and playing in competitive games, and once they were good enough you could call them up. You could then put a hard cap on players on the main team to reduce the day trading of players on the market. They essentially have the program for National teams already, it would be the same idea and would make some of the players from the sports academy a little more relevant. The youngest players in my competitive line-up are 19 for soccer and 20 for hockey, meaning that any pull I get is likely going to sit on my team playing friendlies for 4 seasons before they get a shot at a full time job.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:40 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
It'll damage the original server either way, as no new teams will be signing up on the first server, and it will ultimately move to a last man standing situation.

It would be interesting to start a brand new soccer and hockey team on even footing with everyone else, but I certainly wouldn't want all the work I've done for my current teams to be for nothing.
I agree. I have too much invested to start over at this point. Granted, I know more now then when I started and there is much I would do over. However, I've finally gotten to a point where I'm getting the reward for my long-term planning. If they launch this B server and it makes A server stagnant that'd be a terrible shame and, frankly, I'd be quite pissed.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Quote:

One idea that would interest me would be the implementation of youth squads, all of your 20 and under players could play down on your youth squad building experience and playing in competitive games, and once they were good enough you could call them up. You could then put a hard cap on players on the main team to reduce the day trading of players on the market. They essentially have the program for National teams already, it would be the same idea and would make some of the players from the sports academy a little more relevant. The youngest players in my competitive line-up are 19 for soccer and 20 for hockey, meaning that any pull I get is likely going to sit on my team playing friendlies for 4 seasons before they get a shot at a full time job.
Quote:
I agree. I have too much invested to start over at this point. Granted, I know more now then when I started and there is much I would do over. However, I've finally gotten to a point where I'm getting the reward for my long-term planning. If they launch this B server and it makes A server stagnant that'd be a terrible shame and, frankly, I'd be quite pissed.
I think the key will be to differentiate the servers enough to where most players would play on both servers. The interview mentions possibly having 2 games per day. That would probably not be enough, but I think they're evaluating the situation and will hopefully come up with a solid solution.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:20 PM
tescosamoa

yay another loss where I outshoot the team 27 - 15

1-3 for the season...

Old
12-28-2012, 12:36 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Agree with what others have said, if it is just a mirror game and all new teams go to Server 2 and Server 1 dries up- I'll be pissed and maybe just walk away. Too much time invested to just throw away and be in a last man standing situation.

I really like the idea of a junior / developmental squad, something along the lines of a U20. This could also solve their issues with new teams not being competitive in the big leagues- if a new team came in and focused on building their developmental squad they could conceivable compete in that arena much quicker than in the majors...at the same time it allows them to build their major team slowly so they'll eventually be very competitive there

Old
12-28-2012, 01:54 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
Agree with what others have said, if it is just a mirror game and all new teams go to Server 2 and Server 1 dries up- I'll be pissed and maybe just walk away. Too much time invested to just throw away and be in a last man standing situation.

I really like the idea of a junior / developmental squad, something along the lines of a U20. This could also solve their issues with new teams not being competitive in the big leagues- if a new team came in and focused on building their developmental squad they could conceivable compete in that arena much quicker than in the majors...at the same time it allows them to build their major team slowly so they'll eventually be very competitive there
There is some serious chatter in the admin thread about this. Mind if I post your statement verbatim? I recommended and then elaborated on the junior squad and there is quite a movement for it. Not sure who came up with it but anyways...

Old
12-28-2012, 02:50 PM
doug5984

Quote:
There is some serious chatter in the admin thread about this. Mind if I post your statement verbatim? I recommended and then elaborated on the junior squad and there is quite a movement for it. Not sure who came up with it but anyways...
Go for it, anything to help get that ball rolling I'm all for it

Old
12-28-2012, 02:54 PM
doug5984

Also, I'd add that the developmental squad games should get experience but not at the same level as the majors.... more than friendlies but less than other games.

Also, completely agree with a hard cap on the major league roster- it'd truly cut down on the day trading/training. You have a U-20 developmental roster, if when the player reaches 21 he isn't ready to be a starter you have to decide whether or not to hold him and slowly work him in or sell him to a team that can use him.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:53 AM
tujague

It's ridiculous how big the drop off is from II to III. In 38 games last season, I scored 43 goals while giving up 295. Through three games this season, I've scored 44 goals and given up 4! And I'm in first place

I finally found my second SD, so I'm starting two weeks of camps. Which puts some much better players in my lineup. Should be a fun season

EDIT: Average attendance for the Atomics is 7170. Second place Fighting Tie Domis are averaging 2961

-----
I actually think a reboot is needed in PPM. But it's pointless to do so until they actually fix the game. I still believe they need to make it a lot harder to stay on top. If they don't, then we'll be right back where we are in a few seasons. It'll just be different names at the top this time. Boring. Make those ******** work to stay on top.

They would need to do something to keep the history of our old teams. Time the reboot with the launch of handball (and possibly another sport?) and rebuilding our hockey and soccer teams might not be too bad.

Last edited by tujague: 12-29-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old
12-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Obryantj

Quote:
I actually think a reboot is needed in PPM. But it's pointless to do so until they actually fix the game. I still believe they need to make it a lot harder to stay on top. If they don't, then we'll be right back where we are in a few seasons. It'll just be different names at the top this time. Boring. Make those ******** work to stay on top.

They would need to do something to keep the history of our old teams. Time the reboot with the launch of handball (and possibly another sport?) and rebuilding our hockey and soccer teams might not be too bad.
I believe a complete reboot would destroy the membership and activity of the game.

There are plenty of sports sims out there that are built around concepts like drafts, reboots and forced parity. I like those games as well, but this game does not need to change to fill a niche that is already filled.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:51 AM
tujague

Quote:
I believe a complete reboot would destroy the membership and activity of the game.

There are plenty of sports sims out there that are built around concepts like drafts, reboots and forced parity. I like those games as well, but this game does not need to change to fill a niche that is already filled.
I know. You prefer it the way it is now. Whoever wins in the first 3-4 seasons should win/compete for the top of the table for the next 10-15 seasons. I understand that you like that. I just don't understand why. It makes no ****ing sense.

And I'm not trying to create perfect parity. I just don't like it when a few teams who got lucky enough to win early can lockdown an entire country for an indefinite period of time. And it is an indefinite period of time. The only reason anyone moves up the standings is when someone else quits. That's ****ing retarded.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Obryantj

Quote:
I know. You prefer it the way it is now. Whoever wins in the first 3-4 seasons should win/compete for the top of the table for the next 10-15 seasons. I understand that you like that. I just don't understand why. It makes no ****ing sense.

And I'm not trying to create perfect parity. I just don't like it when a few teams who got lucky enough to win early can lockdown an entire country for an indefinite period of time. And it is an indefinite period of time. The only reason anyone moves up the standings is when someone else quits. That's ****ing retarded.
To me, the core of the game is the facilities. That's what I enjoy most about the game, more than setting tactics or line-ups or purchasing players/staff members from the market. What do you consider the core of the game?

The reason that teams that did well at the start of a sport are able to gain an advantage moving forward is that they are able to invest more in facilities due to better sponsorship offers and having (theoretically) fewer holes in their roster. Facilities are the best indicator of long-term success in my opinion and any early advantage there extends for quite some time.

If you want to allow new users to catch up to established teams more quickly and prevent top teams from running away early, then something has to be done to facilities. If they change the facilities much, they could easily piss off everyone who thinks that the core of the game is the facilities.

I also look at the game in a more global sense. The Force is a good example, they've been fighting to be the #1 in the world for a while now. I have to assume that's where most of his excitement in the game comes from. If you're going to do something to impact his ability to run around from the USA, then I think that the other top teams need to be affected just as much as well.

In soccer, I'm currently 21st in the world in OTR. My early success consisted of finishing 3rd, 4th, and 2nd in II.4 the first 3 seasons and being fortunate enough to win the NC in season 3. That was followed by 5 straight top-3 finished in I.1, which isn't easy to do.

In hockey, my team's OTS jumped after the energy reset more than the teams that promoted up. I'm a top-8 in OTS and should continue to be so. There are a lot of teams that started before me that aren't doing as well. I don't believe helping those managers catch me (as an example) is the right thing to do now.

We have different perspectives of the game and that doesn't make either opinion valid or invalid. But I would like to point out, that we both play the game that I'm arguing to keep and only one of us would play the game that you want to play.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
tescosamoa

As a new player. I would rather they just scaled the fines for having more players based on fine + % and just let it add up and up. Added it in for staff. Then added another 85 levels for the facilities and just had them get more and more expensive and have less and less return and keep the staff max's at what they are at with level 15. And a huge drop off in return at level 16. I am really enjoying the game. I read up on how to do a cookie cutter team to get ahead but it just does not interest me. One other thing I would really like is tactics by period or even goals and minutes.

one question I have is why is there no fighting in the game ?

Old
12-30-2012, 06:44 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
As a new player. I would rather they just scaled the fines for having more players based on fine + % and just let it add up and up. Added it in for staff. Then added another 85 levels for the facilities and just had them get more and more expensive and have less and less return and keep the staff max's at what they are at with level 15. And a huge drop off in return at level 16. I am really enjoying the game. I read up on how to do a cookie cutter team to get ahead but it just does not interest me. One other thing I would really like is tactics by period or even goals and minutes.

one question I have is why is there no fighting in the game ?
Exactly. Increase expenses!!!! There is no reason I should be able to afford a max facility after 3 weeks of saving. And I'm not even that rich!

Player salaries up. High-end costs up. That'll work wonders.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:
Exactly. Increase expenses!!!! There is no reason I should be able to afford a max facility after 3 weeks of saving. And I'm not even that rich!

Have they thought about it ????

Old
12-31-2012, 10:19 AM
tujague

I'm sick, but I'll attempt to respond in a cohesive manner.

Quote:
To me, the core of the game is the facilities. That's what I enjoy most about the game, more than setting tactics or line-ups or purchasing players/staff members from the market. What do you consider the core of the game?
The players, maybe. I like building players the way I want them. I never really thought about it. I guess the main draw is competition. It's fun playing against people you 'know'. It's just too bad that the US leagues suck as far as conversation goes. If I'm not posting in my league topic, then no one is posting in my league topic.

Quote:
If you want to allow new users to catch up to established teams more quickly and prevent top teams from running away early, then something has to be done to facilities. If they change the facilities much, they could easily piss off everyone who thinks that the core of the game is the facilities.
I don't want to allow new teams to catch up quicker, I want new teams to be able to catch up, period. It can't happen right now. A team starting right now would take years just to get on even ground with a top team. We've been at it for 3 years. We're both pretty good managers even though we do things differently. Both have had some success. But we're not even close to catching the Force. We're not even that close to catching the second tier teams. We're just lucky that that group of teams is a lot smaller since everyone quit.

And I actually want to emphasize the facilities more. Make having top facilities really impressive. It should be a lot harder to get them and it should be a lot harder to keep them. It's too easy to get them and it's way too easy to keep them. There's entirely too much money at the top in this game.

Quote:
I also look at the game in a more global sense. The Force is a good example, they've been fighting to be the #1 in the world for a while now. I have to assume that's where most of his excitement in the game comes from. If you're going to do something to impact his ability to run around from the USA, then I think that the other top teams need to be affected just as much as well.
I'll be honest, I don't give a crap about the Force's attempt to be the best team in the game. That really has nothing to do with that I want. But of course I want to affect the other top teams ability to keep their stranglehold on the top of the table. This is not just a US problem.

However, as I've said in the past, the Force is the worst case scenario. When I was getting sponsor info from everyone, he was making at least 65M. The next best team in the US was making 35M. Only 4-5 teams were making more than 20M. That's ****ing stupid.

Quote:
In soccer, I'm currently 21st in the world in OTR. My early success consisted of finishing 3rd, 4th, and 2nd in II.4 the first 3 seasons and being fortunate enough to win the NC in season 3. That was followed by 5 straight top-3 finished in I.1, which isn't easy to do.
Yes. You've done quite well in soccer. Does this mean you deserve to make so much more money than everyone else? I think I've been in the top 5 all but two seasons, maybe three. And I'm making a ****ton of money. It's actually less fun for me. I don't know who else is making 30M+, but if you're not, you're not catching anyone who is. I'm just guessing, but you're probably over 60M by now. Certainly 50M. There's teams in I.1 making less than 15M. How can they compete? Competition is what this should be about.

Quote:
In hockey, my team's OTS jumped after the energy reset more than the teams that promoted up. I'm a top-8 in OTS and should continue to be so. There are a lot of teams that started before me that aren't doing as well. I don't believe helping those managers catch me (as an example) is the right thing to do now.
Come on. You can't talk about any success in hockey. Half of I.1 quit a few seasons ago. You got lucky enough to be propelled into a playoff spot which boosted your sponsors a bit, but it has very little to do with what you did. If just half of those teams had stayed around, you would be sitting in 11th or 12th and stagnating. Unless the recent changes actually helped those teams.

Quote:
We have different perspectives of the game and that doesn't make either opinion valid or invalid. But I would like to point out, that we both play the game that I'm arguing to keep and only one of us would play the game that you want to play.
So you prefer a game that favors the winners to such an extent that it will take a new team 5 years to catch up? That's a good time frame for you? This game will die if something isn't done to fix it. Most people are looking for a reason to quit as soon as they figure out how bad it is.

i can't thnk about this anymore. Gotta hit the sack.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:22 AM
tujague

Quote:

Amen.

Quote:
Have they thought about it ????
I'm sure they have, but a lot of the top teams are also ProPackers. It's hard to make a decision that can possibly piss off so many paying customers.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
redcard

My soccer sponsorship + media + lease adds up to about 17 million. My weekly expenses are a little over 13 million, and if I add in loan payments I net about 13k of income a week. I'm building up my stadium to increase ticket revenue but am still far behind as I've also tried to keep up with facilities. I've been in I.1 for over 4 seasons now and finished 10th, 12th, 10th, and 10th. I was fortunate enough to finish in the top 3 in the Nat cup once but still have never qualified for an international tournament.

My issue isn't that the top teams are still better than me. I should still be the underdog everytime the Breathers visit The Beer Heaven, The Hole, Raleighwood, Arlington, or the Crater. That being said, I started 2 months after everyone else and after 2 1/2 years I'd think that the gap between you guys and me should be narrowing but its not, if anything its getting wider.

In the beginning I was able to climb from Tier III to becoming a to 10 team as I was either more active or a better manager (due to everything I learned here from you guys) than everyone else. But everyone is in I.1 because they know what they're doing, and I'll only move up if someone quits.

I can't make an international cup, Marshall can't crack the national team, and for any good U20 players I have I can find a better boilermaker, atomic, or high header at that position.

I love this game, but I can't ever see myself making up that half season head start.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:21 PM
canucks357

Quote:
I love this game, but I can't ever see myself making up that half season head start.
It isn't the half-season head start anymore. I was a top team in I.1 in season 1. Finished 2nd. Kenora Stingers was nowhere to be found. He pulls a franchise CF (who is even 5/6 @ 22) and that's history. Win after win after win means money in the bank and he buys better guys and before you know it it's way ahead of everyone. Canada's I.1 is a one-horse race and everyone started on the level. Much of what differentiates the top from the middle is luck... who gets the good pulls and when. Season 2 or 3 early in the season is prime time to pull a stud player as your facilities are starting to ripen up.

Just my 2 cents. But I still proclaim expenses are way too low for teams with facilities and stadium growing out of their ying-yang.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
tescosamoa

Well out of the National Cup. Boys played a good game. Need a better goalie...

Old
01-01-2013, 04:36 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Well out of the National Cup. Boys played a good game. Need a better goalie...
I won 21-0 against a noname team. My 3rd string goalie had a 2 save shutout... all saves coming in the third period.

Closed Thread