HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 01:29 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
USA Hockey posted interview video with Barber and Galchenyuk (and goalies, coach), but not Kuraly. Often the line is named after the center. Kuraly has been taking a lot of the draws (only recall seeing him lose one against Germans).
He went 10 and 4 on the draws, best on the team.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:46 AM
WingsMike
Registered Man

vCash: 738
Just finished watching the Czech-Finland game and Hertl was the player of the game for me...Wasn't overly dominant but he did some of everything: Won key faceoffs, good play along boards, a few nice passes, and some dangles with a shot that he rang off the post.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:50 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Hertl just dominated Finland. He and Jaskin were something special. Jaskin scored the EN to make it 3-1 Czechs, with Tomas getting the assist on the goal. Wasn't a gimme EN either, he had to battle like 4 Finns to get the pass off to Jaskin. Also rang one off the post. Man, this kid is physically a man among boys. As you all know, I watch Hertl in the Czech Extraliga against men, and was very excited to see him play against kids his own age. He just physically dominated, from amazing board play to a couple of sweet open-ice hits. And surprisingly his sub-par skating hasn't affected his play on the big international ice like I thought it might. But yeah, he's so offensively skilled, so strong and willing to throw the body, so smart in his own zone. I'm loving this kid and I love how amazing he's played since everyone around here said "who?" when he was drafted.

(Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
Hertl just toying with some of the Finnish D now. Great display of skill. #Sharks)

Old
12-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I love how amazing he's played since everyone around here said "who?" when he was drafted.
Isn't that the case with like every 1rst rounder everyone goes "who?" over?

Old
12-28-2012, 05:45 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
We're never satisfied. People didn't like the Coyle pick at the time either.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:07 AM
helgo

That one play, where Hertl beat 3 Finns and hit the post was pretty awesome (time 3:50), but he played great in all of his shifts.

Last edited by helgo: 12-28-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 11:27 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
We're never satisfied. People didn't like the Coyle pick at the time either.
In fairness, I still think Teravainen would have been the better pick. However, there was no reason for Teravainen to fall that low, and if he hadn't and considering the remaining players, Hertl looks like the best player available at 17, despite us taking him 5-10 spots before where he was projected to go.

He's such a strong, smart player, I have no trouble imagining playing at least a 3rd line role very soon, and working his way up.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Kitten Mittons

I'm only upset about Teravainen because Chicago ended up with him. Just like LA and Toffoli, and Anaheim and Etem.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:44 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Same. The rich get richer. Not really fair that Chicago ends up with a lottery talent at #18.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Mirinho

I think Hertl fits perfectly to San Jose ... quite big and very smart center with great hands

... if he'd be this year on draft, he'd be top 5 (maybe top 3)

you still don't know him well

Old
12-28-2012, 12:43 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
I think Hertl fits perfectly to San Jose ... quite big and very smart center with great hands

I agree with you, Hertl is very much a typical DW player.

I wanted the Sharks to take Teravainen at the draft (I hadn't seen Hertl play much) but Hertl is quickly changing my mind. I don't think he would be a top 5 in this years draft but I do think if they 're-did' the 2012 draft it's arguable he could be a top 5 forward.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:20 PM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Quote:
He went 10 and 4 on the draws, best on the team.
Where did you find detailed box scores?

Old
12-28-2012, 02:47 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
Where did you find detailed box scores?
Here's the page w/ the schedule as well as results. The 'summary' gives some stats including faceoff %.

http://www.iihf.com/channels1213/wm20/statistics.html

Old
12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I agree with you, Hertl is very much a typical DW player.

I wanted the Sharks to take Teravainen at the draft (I hadn't seen Hertl play much) but Hertl is quickly changing my mind. I don't think he would be a top 5 in this years draft but I do think if they 're-did' the 2012 draft it's arguable he could be a top 5 forward.
I'd put him at 6, after Yakupov/Ganchenyuk/Grigorenko/Teravianen/Forsberg. I think he's better than Girgensons or Faksa and certainly better than Wilson.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:34 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Thought Kuraly was pretty bad today. Kid can't hang on to a puck, but that was a problem with everyone on the team vs Russia. Probably bad ice or maybe fatigue. Hopefully the team looks better vs Canada with a day off.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:22 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Thought Kuraly was pretty bad today. Kid can't hang on to a puck, but that was a problem with everyone on the team vs Russia. Probably bad ice or maybe fatigue. Hopefully the team looks better vs Canada with a day off.
I didn't think Kuraly was bad at all. His line created a few good chances and was on the ice for the lone US power play goal. They were also pretty good at retaining possession when they were on the ice. Their passing was off at times and both Kuraly and Galchenyuk were bobbling the puck a bit but Russia's defense was a whole lot better than I was expecting and they didn't give that line any time or space.

I thought the US as a whole was good against the Russians. They contolled play through two periods but then Russia kinda took over in the 3rd. If the US can play the kind of game they did through the first 2 periods against Canada I think they'll give themselves a pretty good chance to win.

One thing that I do think needs to happen is moving Galchenyuk back to center. He's good enough defensively and he needs to have the puck on his stick way more often. I really doubt that Housley is going to shake up his entire roster but a couple of tweaks might help as the "top" line and the "3rd" line have both been very quiet.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post

WHAT?!!! NOT FIRST OVERALL! Haha.

I must not know him that well, because I don't think he'd be a top 5 pick haha. I think he's a great young prospect, I love the defensive side of his game, I feel like he's strong enough off the puck to be in consideration for an NHL job sooner than a lot of people thought. But I don't know if the offense is close to being on par with some of the guys being talked about in that range of this years draft--and don't get me wrong, I value defense as much as the next guy, but I just don't know if he's a gamebreaker like I think one or two of the guys in this years draft could potentially be.

I do however think that after half a year, he's opened up a lot more eyes, and has a lot of GM's kicking themselves for not selecting him when they could have. And he's by far my favourite Sharks prospect.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:22 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://gonu.com/news/2012/12/29/MHKY_1229122231.aspx

Cody Ferriero notches FOUR goals (3 PPG in one period -- only time in NCAA all season) in NU win over Harvard. (May be setting other school records; they're researching to see.) It's his 2nd natural hat trick in collegiate career.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:09 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
WHAT?!!! NOT FIRST OVERALL! Haha.

I must not know him that well, because I don't think he'd be a top 5 pick haha. I think he's a great young prospect, I love the defensive side of his game, I feel like he's strong enough off the puck to be in consideration for an NHL job sooner than a lot of people thought. But I don't know if the offense is close to being on par with some of the guys being talked about in that range of this years draft--and don't get me wrong, I value defense as much as the next guy, but I just don't know if he's a gamebreaker like I think one or two of the guys in this years draft could potentially be.

I do however think that after half a year, he's opened up a lot more eyes, and has a lot of GM's kicking themselves for not selecting him when they could have. And he's by far my favourite Sharks prospect.
Personally, I really like his offensive toolset.

I agree that he's not a gamebreaker, in the sense that he can't fly down the wing and snipe the top corner in a flash. But Logan Couture is not a gamebreaker. Joe Pavelski isn't a gamebreaker.

He's a smart player who can shoot and set others up. He drives the net, has a sick pair of mitts, takes a pounding from defensemen, etc. I think he certainly has the potential to be a solid 20-30 guy in the NHL.

I know I'm a very biased party because I want to see the good in him, but I can honestly say that I believe he's the 6th best offensive forward talent from the 2012 draft, behind the obvious (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Teravainen, Forsberg). He's much better offensively than Faksa, you can watch them both in the WJC and it's hugely obvious who's more talented offensively. He's more of an offensive oriented player than Girgensons. He's got boatloads more talent than Tom Wilson.

(As far as defensemen in the 2012 draft, I'd take Reilly, Murray, Lindholm, and Trouba over him. So I'd make an argument for Hertl being anywhere from 10 to 15).

I guess my point is that Hertl is more of an offensive player than a defensive player, whereas you made it seem like the opposite.

Of course, however, I'm a quite biased party.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:22 AM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Personally, I really like his offensive toolset.

I agree that he's not a gamebreaker, in the sense that he can't fly down the wing and snipe the top corner in a flash. But Logan Couture is not a gamebreaker. Joe Pavelski isn't a gamebreaker.

He's a smart player who can shoot and set others up. He drives the net, has a sick pair of mitts, takes a pounding from defensemen, etc. I think he certainly has the potential to be a solid 20-30 guy in the NHL.

I know I'm a very biased party because I want to see the good in him, but I can honestly say that I believe he's the 6th best offensive forward talent from the 2012 draft, behind the obvious (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Teravainen, Forsberg). He's much better offensively than Faksa, you can watch them both in the WJC and it's hugely obvious who's more talented offensively. He's more of an offensive oriented player than Girgensons. He's got boatloads more talent than Tom Wilson.

(As far as defensemen in the 2012 draft, I'd take Reilly, Murray, Lindholm, and Trouba over him. So I'd make an argument for Hertl being anywhere from 10 to 15).

I guess my point is that Hertl is more of an offensive player than a defensive player, whereas you made it seem like the opposite.

Of course, however, I'm a quite biased party.
Staying up to watch the Canadians play (and Kuraly!) so I might make less sense than I usually do, but I know what you mean he doesn't play like a "checking forward" or anything like that, but I don't know about his offense translating at the NHL level to where I think you see him--don't get me wrong he's got top 6 talent, easy, but I'm not sure how high he can go in that regard. Whereas I see his positioning, anticipation, backchecking, and reliability as strong with a real high likelihood that they will translate at the NHL due to his size and smarts.

Just for fun, where do you see him capping out in terms of point potential at the NHL level? I forecast him as a 40-50 pt player, with 60 pt potential--not quite at Pavelski's or Couture's offensive ceiling, but again I really like what the kid can bring to the Sharks in the immediate future, and I hope hope hope I eat major crow.

Anyways yep, I totally agree with your assessment, he's at least a few slots ahead of where he was taken last year, but I don't quite see him as a "top 5" pick haha (Like Drouin! who just made a nice little play).

Old
12-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Rexor

Hertl is the best Czech prospect since Voráček and I believe he can eventually surpass him if he improves his skating.

I feel like some folks in this thread are really underestimating his offensive potential. You may not consider it a top-notch league, the fact is though that it's extremely rare for teenage players in the Czech Extraliga to put up points consistently, and Hertl has been doing this for almost two years now. One would have to go way into the past to see this kind of reliable scoring output from an Extraliga prospect, back to the days of Hudler or Havlát. He's better than a 19 year old Milan Michálek.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:14 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
Hertl is the best Czech prospect since Voráček and I believe he can eventually surpass him if he improves his skating.

I feel like some folks in this thread are really underestimating his offensive potential. You may not consider it a top-notch league, the fact is though that it's extremely rare for teenage players in the Czech Extraliga to put up points consistently, and Hertl has been doing this for almost two years now. One would have to go way into the past to see this kind of reliable scoring output from an Extraliga prospect, back to the days of Hudler or Havlát. He's better than a 19 year old Milan Michálek.
If Hertl can fix his skating he has all the tools to be an average top line center. I think his ceiling is a 30-30 player in the NHL, though I'm not convinced he'll reach that.

Last edited by stalockrox: 12-30-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Rexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
If Hertl can fix his skating he has all the tools to be an average top line center. I think his ceiling is a 30-30 player in the NHL, though I'm not convinced he'll reach that.
I think his ceiling is higher than that but I may be biased. Anyway, he had a good game today, only one assist against Latvia but his line with Jaškin and Hyka was our only consistent threat, he showed a few nice moves and dangles, was strong on the puck as usual and generally very reliable in all game situations. He won 12 face offs out of 15. Was named player of the game for the Czech team though I would have personally given it to Jaškin.

According to Corey Pronman:

Hertl is clearly the most skilled player on the ice whenever he touches a puck. His hands are great and he has unique stickhandling ability for his size.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=322

Old
12-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Kitten Mittons

I only watched the first period of the USA-Canada game, so tell me if anything changed but Kuraly sucked, no? I just saw him throwing his body around but no danger from him where it mattered.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:30 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
The only positives for the US in that game were Gibson and the PK. Everything else stunk.

Closed Thread