HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
How did you get up 6-1 in the first place?

The weakness in Canadian hockey development is that we are terrible at training goalies. The weakness in Russian hockey development is that all the forwards are taught to be puck hogs.
I'm confused? We've beaten Canada the last 2 years because of superior offence and nothing has changed. They capitalize on chances. They play a combination game.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Kshahdoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
It will be really difficult for Yakupov to live up to the hype in the NHL....
Yakupov is almost a PPG player in the KHL as a 18 year old kid, do you know this? I mean as far as I remember Tarasenko didn't start that 2011 WJC as one of the world's top prospects. And we all know how it ended up.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
I admitted it's possible that far superior goaltending will save Russia again. I wouldn't bet on it.

It's sad for me to see the nation that invented cycling to be reduced to one-on-one dangle offs to generate offense.
Well superior goal tending was not needed to beat Canada 6-3 and 6-5 in August with largely the same players. This team has been under performing and still getting results which is the main thing. Putting 5 and 6 goals past Canada showed superior offense in the WJC's.

The second part you can blame that on Hockey being basically dead in Russia until around 2007 when money started being pumped into the game Russia went from bankruptcy to a enormous surge in wealth over a 12 year period and Hockey is receiving much needed investment over the past few years. The new development effects are slowly coming out now but Russia should be a lot more stronger in 5-10 years time. Russia still produces smart effective datsyuk-esqe type players. This puck hogging style a tactical decision and even today Russia still created a lot of chances tonight although the USA had more possession of the puck and were the better team over the first two periods.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:44 PM
DamonDRW

The more I watch Yakupov live the more he reminds me some other great Russian busts like Filatov and Zherdev.

On the other hand, Nichuskin is already a hell of a player at 17. His willingness to do all he can and a little bit more in every situation reminds me Kuznetsov performances at two last WJHC. Players like this win champs. Possible future star player.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
The more I watch Yakupov live the more he reminds me some other great Russian busts like Filatov and Zherdev.

On the other hand, Nichuskin is already a hell of a player at 17. His willingness to do all he can and a little bit more in every situation reminds me Kuznetsov performances at two last WJHC. Players like this win champs. Possible future star player.
It's too early to tell but Nichushkin was really good, always dangerous and kept US defence on their heels. He has those gamebreaking abilities.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:51 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

I thought this was a fantastic game and both of these teams are serious contenders for gold. Russia looks to have the best goaltending in the tourney and lots of quality forwards, plus home ice advantage. The US controlled the play for the first 2 periods and it was even for the 3rd. Bit of a shame that these 2 teams and Canada are in the same group, to me they are looking like the top 3 teams here.

And anyone questioning Yakupov or Jones, please give your head a shake. I'm drooling about seeing these guys in the NHL in the very near future.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:54 PM
bareza

yakupov is next radulof

Old
12-28-2012, 12:59 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Anyone think Makarov will be drafted this summer?

Old
12-28-2012, 01:00 PM
MaxV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I thought he was already signed as UFA by Sabres.

Old
Bure

Quote:
He was already signed by Buffalo.

Old
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Makarov signed a contract with the Buffalo Sabres but will spend the 2012-13 season playing in the WHL.

Old
EveryDay

Where can i get the TOI for this game? does't make any sense to me that AG played under 10 minutes........

Old
12-28-2012, 01:01 PM
um

Quote:
How did you get up 6-1 in the first place?

The weakness in Canadian hockey development is that we are terrible at training goalies. The weakness in Russian hockey development is that all the forwards are taught to be puck hogs.
by scoring 6 goals? wtf are you talking about

Old
12-28-2012, 01:02 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareza View Post
yakupov is next radulof
in that case he will be the best player in this tournament

Old
12-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareza View Post
yakupov is next radulof
Well, if Yakupov ends up as good as Radulov, I bet Oilers fans will be very happy...

Old
12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Teekko

How did Vesey look?

Old
12-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by teko74 View Post
How did Vesey look?
Offensively lost and behind the play. Defensively solid for the few shifts he had.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:29 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
Do you understand that every team is putting like 2 to 3 guys on him? He can't even make a pass when you have that many players on you.

Tough defeat for us, but I thought Americans played good for the most part, but the GWG (even how good it was) should've never happened. The part I was pissed is they passed the puck too much and looked disorganized when passing. Also for some reason a lot of Americans were falling down for no apparent reason. Another thing I would like to change for the Canadians is way better shot selection. I loved how much they shot the puck, but majority of them were low percentage shots that makes the goaler even better and warmed up. Need to make PP adjustments as well and JT Miller has to get his ass out of his head.

All that said I love our defensive core and Grimaldi is one hell of a player. I still think Russia is the best team in this tourney and I honestly believe we have a great chance against Canada if we improve in certain areas.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

So with Makarov's stellar game today, any ideas on who is going to be the starter?

Old
12-28-2012, 01:45 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Offensively lost and behind the play. Defensively solid for the few shifts he had.
He was no worse than Biggs from what I saw. Vesey positioned himself well f or the best 3rd period
scoring opportunity for the US.

He 's a big kid with an underrated skillset. I see nothing to write home about with Biggs. Enormously
overrated. Vesey to me has a clear higher ceiling than Biggs.

Also Reilly is horrible defensively. Was a pylon at center ice on the Russian game winner and can 't
stop a cycle in his own end to save his life. Another massively overrated player.

Gaudreau's problem is that he's a shrimp with zero separation speed. He gets closed down on at this
level easily. He will be a non -factor here.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Didn't see the game so where are people getting the stat that Galchenyuk played less than 10min this game?

Old
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Kap-the-Head

The more I watch Russia play the more Yakupov reminds me of Afinogenov and Grigorenko of Viktor Kozlov. None of them will be a huge star in the world of hockey, IMO.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap-the-Head View Post
The more I watch Russia play the more Yakupov reminds me of Afinogenov and Grigorenko of Viktor Kozlov. None of them will be a huge star in the world of hockey, IMO.
The kid who scored the game winner is the real deal. He torched Rielly and Jones.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
It will be really difficult for Yakupov to live up to the hype in the NHL....
Pffft, if Semin can be an all-star in the NHL so can Yakupov.

Yak is a hard worker, but he is certainly not perfect.

Just picture him on Nugent-Hopkins's wing. Won't take long for him to score 40.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap-the-Head View Post
Neither of these guys was at any time as good a prospect as Yakupov or Grigorenko. In fact, Kozlov's junior credentials are pathetic next to Grigorenko's.

Closed Thread