HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 12:19 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Not quite, but I had my best game in probably six months.

Felt like the workouts were paying off. I had more energy and was quicker up and down the ice. We were playing the best team in the division (i.e. they have the most ringers, one of whom has 3 points per game) and skated with them for the most part.

I also had my first positive +/- game of the year, even though we lost 6-1.

Cut the stick down 3/4" which actually felt a bit too light and short but my shots came off hard when I adjusted. I stung the goalies glove hand really bad in warmups (ugh). Shots were much better but I had THREE pipes tonight. Did get the assist on the goal and enjoyed playing with my (very fast) linemates.

Cool thing tonight was that the motor was just going and going, I was reading plays and getting in passing lanes better than I ever have, actually was able to sneak in and steal a lot of pucks and kept a lot of pressure on the other team. We really should have had more goals, it was ridiculous our puck luck.

Also broke up two plays on the backcheck...one was a 2-on-0 that I somehow caught up with the guy and dove and got the puck off his stick and into the corner to break up the play. The other the guy was racing down for a breakaway and not only did I catch him but power turned back up the ice and deked into the zone.

Really just a great game which I needed this year to get the confidence back.

So yeah...white tape

Also I gave my kid his skates and he loves them. They are a hair big but have enough support that he could stand by himself right away on a rug, touch his head, touch his knees, etc. He's got a lot of confidence for being so young and is excited to get on the ice tomorrow!

awesome on both acounts jarick. have fun with the kid tomorrow.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:37 AM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
shootouts blow generally but especially to settle a championship game. Thankfully our league has overtime for the playoffs. But understand the rink time etc constraints
Well it went to 5 minute 4-on-4 OT but neither team could do much so it went to SO.

It wasn't totally bad though. That team absolutely has our number. I don't think we've beat them yet in our 4 seasons. Not disappointed with taking them all the way.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:29 AM
izzy3

gotta buy some white tape! wtg Jarick!

Old
12-22-2012, 05:02 PM
do0glas

Scored 2 in a 4-3 win!

We were missing basically our entire core of veterans but we battled through.

First goal was a back hand off a rebound which I roofed! Then I got my first clean break away and drifted far left as I entered the zone and I noticed the goalie pull with me so I just popped it over his left pad, felt like a star!

Now a 2 week break until January. Getting a couple of pick ups in though.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:37 AM
reecardo

First Penalty

Took my first penalty last night, tripping a friend, on accident. Have tried to trip hot dog B/C league subs before when they got around me, but never actually pulled it off. Still, it was a first.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Fanned On It

Missed my game tonight because of a 102.2 fever... I'm feeling like absolute dog poop and I have another game tomorrow night (or I guess tonight technically) so I'm hoping I feel a LOT better when I wake up in the morning. Just my luck to develop a fever 2 days before Christmas Eve. Haven't been sick once in the past 12 months and NOW I get sick lol. It was so bad today that I was somewhat delirious... just completely out of it.

Whatever, I just hope I feel better tomorrow.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:55 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

My $400 laptop broke and I was going to use my Christmas money to buy some new gear.

Plus my NFL team (Steelers) eliminated from the playoffs because our Quarterback sucks. Can this day get any worse?

#NightmareBeforeChristmas

Last edited by I Am Score*: 12-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Ozz

After blowing last week's playoff bids to defend our championship, we also blew it tonight in our other league which is a tier higher. We were defending a championship there too. We were the 1-seed and got embarrassed by the lowest seed. Two of us were sick, but we played so badly overall that I don't think it mattered much.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Two separate events:

1. Won two fantasy football championships and $550 in the process. I'm going to put some
of that towards either the new Mako stick in the E28/Kreps curve or a prostock Bauer or RS2 in the Kreps curve. Either way, I'll be a happy camper.

2. I'm flying with hockey gear
for the first time so I can skate while I'm back home on vacation. This is a good dry run for when i fly with it all to Vegas instead of driving for a tournament in march. Will be fun to play with all new players to me.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Got the kid out on skates. He was able to walk along with me holding one hand and was pretty well balanced. When he fell he popped back up. Great attitude and can't wait to go out again.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Got the kid out on skates. He was able to walk along with me holding one hand and was pretty well balanced. When he fell he popped back up. Great attitude and can't wait to go out again.
Very cute, how old?

Old
12-26-2012, 03:37 PM
AIREAYE

wow you have outdoor natural ice in Minny already? Unbelievably jealous.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Today I woke up at 4am to watch the Canada/Germany World Jr game then later on spent an hour at Pro Hockey Life trying out new sticks (fell in love with the CCM/TaylorMade stick but too much $$$), bought an Ai9 and Sherwood Nexon N8 gloves. Going to play some late night shinny to try them out.

Last edited by Leo Trollmarov: 12-26-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Very cute, how old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That was up in Bemidji. Very cold up there.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Ottawa rinks are starting to open now, nothing but frigid weather in the forecast.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

I saw Marleau and Havlat leaving the ice as I walked into a locker room for pickup. Living in San Diego, that never happens so that was pretty exciting today.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Today I woke up at 4am to watch the Canada/Germany World Jr game then later on spent an hour at Pro Hockey Life trying out new sticks (fell in love with the CCM/TaylorMade stick but too much $$$), bought an Ai9 and Sherwood Nexon N8 gloves. Going to play some late night shinny to try them out.
Man that sounds like a quality day all around.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just realized it's been a while since guys on my team have been yelling "two hands on the stick!" Bugs the crap out of me.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:30 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Very cool Jarick. I can't wait to get my little guy on skates. I've got a while to wait though, as he's only 7 months.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:33 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I saw Marleau and Havlat leaving the ice as I walked into a locker room for pickup. Living in San Diego, that never happens so that was pretty exciting today.
A bunch of my buddies set up a rat yesterday morning and I could not make b/c I had no PTO left for the year. Anyways after their rat half of the Hawks showed up at the rink for practice including Toews, Hossa, Sharp and some ex players like Campbell and Brouwer. What a time to miss a rat.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Just realized it's been a while since guys on my team have been yelling "two hands on the stick!" Bugs the crap out of me.
Haha, people always get chirped for not keeping their stick down either. I've seen it happen several times and the people who do it are generally dbags though.

For my day I will be looking up gear and working on my shot in the garage.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:57 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
A bunch of my buddies set up a rat yesterday morning and I could not make b/c I had no PTO left for the year. Anyways after their rat half of the Hawks showed up at the rink for practice including Toews, Hossa, Sharp and some ex players like Campbell and Brouwer. What a time to miss a rat.
NHL lockout is supposed to be ending soon. This is really good news.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:34 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
NHL lockout is supposed to be ending soon. This is really good news.
I won't allow myself to believe this. I've been duped a couple times already by "progress."

Old
12-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I won't allow myself to believe this. I've been duped a couple times already by "progress."
Haha me neither, but it's either that both sides are close or NHL is preparing for court battles. New proposal shows fairness on NHL side.

NHL Players Need Work :

Old
12-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think both sides knew from the start mid-January was the actual deadline. Wait a few more weeks before getting excited or panicking.

Closed Thread