HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hans Tavares to SC Bern

Old
12-21-2012, 12:42 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Yeah, it was a laser and an excellent sign that maybe some of his hard work on his shot is starting to pay off. The goalie really had no chance, hence the Julie Gafney comment. It was a joke man, the lockout is getting to you.

Anyway, if Julie stopped Gunnar Stahl, she could stop Johhny or anyone else for that matter. She was that awesome, she made Goldberg switch to defense. Manon Rheaume, who?
lockout getting to me, yes.

I'm going to enjoy the WJC though, as always.
I'm starting to like following hockey in other areas though, I only wish the coverage was better (than the crap streams).

Hoping to get to see McDavid and Strome play live a few times this year as well.

side note:
Manon Rheaume still looks good. And as per wikipedia:"She guest-starred as herself in the made-for-TV movie A Beachcombers Christmas with Tiger Williams and Jyrki Lumme" - now that's some fine lock-out tv watching, for sure!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:22 PM
bluechipbonzo

Ottawa's Jason Spezza and Islanders star John Tavares will lead a beefed-up Canada at the Spengler Cup.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=412090

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:03 PM
JKP

Watched the Spengler Cup game. JT played really good. Was all over the place.

Miss real hockey and JT in a royal blue uni that isn't covered in ugly ads...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:36 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Watched the Spengler Cup game. JT played really good. Was all over the place.

Miss real hockey and JT in a royal blue uni that isn't covered in ugly ads...
Game 2 for Team Canada against Davos.

John Tavares puts canada on top 1-0 on the PP. One-timer top of face off circle... blocker side top left corner.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Game 2 for Team Canada against Davos.

John Tavares puts canada on top 1-0 on the PP. One-timer top of face off circle... blocker side top left corner.
Did anyone just see the drill JT was doing before the game (it was just shown on TSN).

Stop showing off Johnny!

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:07 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Did anyone just see the drill JT was doing before the game (it was just shown on TSN).

Stop showing off Johnny!
New nickname ! "Johnny Showoff".

I like what I'm hearing about the goal, a one timer from the top of the faceoff circle. He said he was working on his shot, and if he can perfect that one timer, it'll add 5-10 goals to his goal total (IMO).

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:18 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
New nickname ! "Johnny Showoff".

I like what I'm hearing about the goal, a one timer from the top of the faceoff circle. He said he was working on his shot, and if he can perfect that one timer, it'll add 5-10 goals to his goal total (IMO).
Top corner too. Beautiful one-timer. If Johnny becomes as dangerous of a goal scorer as he is a playmaker, he could become good enough to carry this team to the playoffs even if all these top prospects bust. The dude's good.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:28 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Top corner too. Beautiful one-timer. If Johnny becomes as dangerous of a goal scorer as he is a playmaker, he could become good enough to carry this team to the playoffs even if all these top prospects bust. The dude's good.
Ok stop it, you're giving me chills describing the goal, AND, you're giving me HOPE when/IF hockey returns. As a lifelong Isles fan, I'm not used to the "H" word.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:44 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Ok stop it, you're giving me chills describing the goal, AND, you're giving me HOPE when/IF hockey returns. As a lifelong Isles fan, I'm not used to the "H" word.
http://nutjob.eu/njtvx17.html

That's the stream if no one else has it. At least you can catch the 3rd period.

My thoughts on Johnny...

He's really improved and I'm loving him on the PK. He's so smart and he's physically ready to handle it now - making his impact on the team even greater than it already is. His relentless puck pursuit gives me... CHILLS.

If one of our center prospects pans out (Strome, Nelson), they should get some serious sheltered minutes considering Johnny can take up the slack playing the other situations. Once this team gets secondary scoring, we could see some serious strides.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:03 PM
blinkman360
Norris

I still can't believe we almost drafted Matt Duchene/Victor Hedman. Nothing against those guys, they both should become very good players, but are you kidding me? I'm as guilty as any, considering I got swept up in the Duchene lovefest, and the "let's pick apart Tavares' game to death"-fest. So glad Snow didn't fall for the trash talk about Johnny.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
I still can't believe we almost drafted Matt Duchene/Victor Hedman. Nothing against those guys, they both should become very good players, but are you kidding me? I'm as guilty as any, considering I got swept up in the Duchene lovefest, and the "let's pick apart Tavares' game to death"-fest. So glad Snow didn't fall for the trash talk about Johnny.
Yeah I don't think the Isles were ever close to even thinking about drafting Duchene or Hedman.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Oxim Oresi

According to this article (German), Tavares has been bitten by an opponent and has bite marks on his neck.

I wonder if he is also marginally tasty.

Oxim Oresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:14 PM
scott99

John is also in another stratosphere as far as the type of person he is. He won't accept being just one of the guys, he wants to be one of the best players in the world, and will do anything to attain that (I think he is already). Not strong enough on his skates and spending half the game on his ass as a rookie, spends the whole offseason working on that. Not fast enough to get around defensemen ? Spend the offseason working on speed. Shot not good enough ? Worked THIS whole offseason on his shot and we are seeing didvidends already (overseas).

I remember him being interviewed late in his second season, after he scored his 29th goal, they asked him if he was excited about scoring 30 goals, and he said, I wanted 40 goals. He was 20 years old.

That sums up John Tavares, never satisfied, always wants more, out of himself, and his team. That is what makes him great.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:42 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
John is also in another stratosphere as far as the type of person he is. He won't accept being just one of the guys, he wants to be one of the best players in the world, and will do anything to attain that (I think he is already). Not strong enough on his skates and spending half the game on his ass as a rookie, spends the whole offseason working on that. Not fast enough to get around defensemen ? Spend the offseason working on speed. Shot not good enough ? Worked THIS whole offseason on his shot and we are seeing didvidends already (overseas).

I remember him being interviewed late in his second season, after he scored his 29th goal, they asked him if he was excited about scoring 30 goals, and he said, I wanted 40 goals. He was 20 years old.

That sums up John Tavares, never satisfied, always wants more, out of himself, and his team. That is what makes him great.
I'm always up for tire pumping JT, I'm probably one of the more frequent offenders... but you're 100% right!

I admire his work ethic too, but he's been working on his pro game (in the now famous Dungeon) since he was 14 years old! I think he focused more on certain things as you mentioned, but he puts in the work for sure. He's relentless on the ice and it's clear that it applies to off the ice as well.

Concerning that interview about scoring 30 goals in his second season, I recall another one when asked about scoring #30 - his response was 'I want to get Pap his 20th' or something to that extent. It may have been an intermission interview in the last game or something. I love his humility too and it's that coupled with his burning desire to keep improving, that makes him a future great in my eyes.

Last edited by PWJunior: 12-27-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old
12-27-2012, 06:00 PM
scott99

He's a great teammate, you can tell his team loves him. Even the Swiss team. The Swiss will Miss him when he heads home. Sorry about the Swiss Miss joke.

Old
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
JKP

Quote:

I've been saying this since before we drafted him. It's the same trait Crosby has. He just wants to get better and better and works his ass off to do it.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:01 AM
StumpNYI

I was unaware that the Swiss were bitters.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:11 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Yeah I don't think the Isles were ever close to even thinking about drafting Duchene or Hedman.
Other than the fact that Snow never gave any indication of who he was going to pick, I remember a rumor coming out on draft day that the Isles were leaning towards Duchene.

I suppose Snow could have known all along that he was going to take Tavares, but if that's the case why not just come out and say it? Tavares didn't even know if they were going to take him. I don't see the upside of keeping it a secret.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:51 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Other than the fact that Snow never gave any indication of who he was going to pick, I remember a rumor coming out on draft day that the Isles were leaning towards Duchene.

I suppose Snow could have known all along that he was going to take Tavares, but if that's the case why not just come out and say it? Tavares didn't even know if they were going to take him. I don't see the upside of keeping it a secret.
You ask why? Snow got off on being the center of the hockey universe in the 2009 draft. He certainly milked it for all it's worth before finally announcing Johnny's name. At least, that's my take on why he was so hush hush about it. I do give him credit though, he had someone (was it Burke, Bobby Mac, or McGuire?) actually say they were taking Duchene on camera.

For me personally, I was flip flopping between JT and Hedman in the days leading towards the draft.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:59 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

He's the gm of a doormat team with payroll restrictions. I saw it as milking the team's 15 mins in the limelight. How many predraft articles and sports shows, were suddenly focused on the Isles?

I think it was Snow who said after the draft, that the team had 1 guy rated #1 all along and that was the guy they took.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:22 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I remember Snow saying that they knew they were taking Tavares since after they won the draft lottery. He just had a poker face to mess with everyone.

Proud to say that I never fell into the Duchene/Hedman bandwagon, I was one of those guys who acted like we won the Cup once Tavares was picked.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:

Because they wanted to make the Isles the story of the draft. create a little bit of buzz & excitement. Also they got to fill NVMC for a draft party. It was fun. I have no problem with him keeping it a secret.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Because they wanted to make the Isles the story of the draft. create a little bit of buzz & excitement. Also they got to fill NVMC for a draft party. It was fun. I have no problem with him keeping it a secret.
I get all that, but wouldn't you think Tavares would be told? Unless Snow wanted to make Johnny sweat a bit. Or maybe Snow came up to him, said "I've made a decision..." and Johnny replied with "NO SPOILERS."

Old
12-28-2012, 02:55 PM
startainfection*

Quote:

what i heard was that they told half the people in the organization that thy were taking jt and told the other half they were taking duchene not sure sure how true that is though

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Chairman Wang

Ever since the Tavares draft... all organizations (Oilers) have kept who they are drafting a mystery. Why? because it is clearly advantageous to the NHL and the organization that is making the selection to build upon the buzz. Isles should be given credit for adding that element to the canadian draft show... but we all know those same canadian media pundits could never do that.

Also, what I remember after the draft was that Snow was lauded for making a great selection. When all he did was pick the guy that they should have picked all along. Snow created the doubt that the Isles may "bone-it-up" again. By being secret about it he essentially gave himself some positive press out of nothing. The fact that it messed with Burke and Toronto fans is all the more better.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote