HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2012 Spengler Cup (Champions: Team Canada)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2012, 04:47 PM
  #476
PanniniClaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Mannheim played incredible defensively, at least, when compared to Davos.
Yes - their defense really played well - Seidenberg, Wagner, Nik Goc, Sbisa and Sifers etc. did a fine job while Endras made huge saves.

I see Adler beating Davos in a tight one.


Last edited by PanniniClaus: 12-27-2012 at 05:18 PM.
PanniniClaus is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 04:50 PM
  #477
AllezLucerne
Registered User
 
AllezLucerne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Suisse
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Canada apparently only had one practise before and that was the first time guys like ryan smyth and coliaicovo skated in a year... Total different team when comparing yesterdays game to todays
This.
Also Endras had a heck of a game.
I'm looking forward to the Davos-Manheim game tm, wondering if Davos can bounce back.

Hoping Fribourg gets some Wins as well, if only to see their "Kiwi"-Dance


Last edited by AllezLucerne: 12-27-2012 at 05:03 PM.
AllezLucerne is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 05:08 PM
  #478
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezLucerne View Post
This.
Also Endras had a heck of a game.
I'm looking forward to the Davos-Manheim game tm, wondering if Davos can bounce back.

Hoping Fribourg gets some Wins as well, if only to see their "Kiwi"-Dance


no thanks

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 05:39 PM
  #479
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,234
vCash: 500
hell of a game for Dubnyk.

Moore Money is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
  #480
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Yes - their defense really played well - Seidenberg, Wagner, Nik Goc, Sbisa and Sifers etc. did a fine job while Endras made huge saves.

I see Adler beating Davos in a tight one.
I think Davos has too good roster to lose two in a row. They have deeper team than Adlers and that should prevail.

ficohok* is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 09:09 PM
  #481
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
I can understand Romanuk having a hard time picking up names and numbers from those jerseys, but it's not difficult to distinguish which way a player shoots. Or are Tavares and Seguin ambidextrous?

Nash is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 09:15 PM
  #482
PanniniClaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
I think Davos has too good roster to lose two in a row. They have deeper team than Adlers and that should prevail.
I would have said that before the tourney started but I saw a defense that will have a hard time with Adler even though they are a step down from Canada. Seidenberg will be asked to shutdown Joe/Kane

PanniniClaus is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 11:38 PM
  #483
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Endras is a great goalie, it's just that in our organization he was behind Kuemper and Hackett..

I think that he'll get a crack at the NHL again...

He's very aggressive and he moves well. He's got good positioning too.

I think he had the tools he just needs a chance...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
12-27-2012, 11:46 PM
  #484
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Endras is a great goalie, it's just that in our organization he was behind Kuemper and Hackett..

I think that he'll get a crack at the NHL again...

He's very aggressive and he moves well. He's got good positioning too.

I think he had the tools he just needs a chance...
It's like that with a lot of goalies. I think it's foolish to think those playing in the NHL are the best at the moment, and I think the truth is far from it. It's just that those are the ones that took the limited opportunity the goalies are usually given and taken advantage of it. There are such small differences in quality sometimes that all it takes is just to be in the right position at the right time. But it also seems that once you're out, you're most likely out, so I think it's going to be extremely hard for Endras to ever make it to the NHL.

Ryker is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 06:52 AM
  #485
krax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
It's like that with a lot of goalies. I think it's foolish to think those playing in the NHL are the best at the moment, and I think the truth is far from it. It's just that those are the ones that took the limited opportunity the goalies are usually given and taken advantage of it. There are such small differences in quality sometimes that all it takes is just to be in the right position at the right time. But it also seems that once you're out, you're most likely out, so I think it's going to be extremely hard for Endras to ever make it to the NHL.
The bold part pretty well sums up a goalies' job

krax is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 08:00 AM
  #486
WeberStreit
Registered User
 
WeberStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Fribourg-Vitkovice starts in one hour. I'm pretty sure Cory Schneider will get the start today.

Talbot and Schneider seem to have a good time in Davos:




I'd be surprised if they didn't win today.

WeberStreit is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
  #487
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
It's like that with a lot of goalies. I think it's foolish to think those playing in the NHL are the best at the moment, and I think the truth is far from it. It's just that those are the ones that took the limited opportunity the goalies are usually given and taken advantage of it. There are such small differences in quality sometimes that all it takes is just to be in the right position at the right time. But it also seems that once you're out, you're most likely out, so I think it's going to be extremely hard for Endras to ever make it to the NHL.
I think you are very spot on with this one.
Look at Pekka Rinne in KHL's Dinamo Minsk. He was not a hit.

fredrikstad is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
  #488
cobaltseraphim*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Canada:
Cam Barker (26, Texas/Edmonton), Carlo Calaiacovo (29, Detroit), Jason Demers (24, San Jose/Kärpät Oulu), Micki DuPont (32, Kloten), Geoff Kinrade (27, Bern), Maxim Noreau (25, Ambri), Travis Roche (29, Bern), Derrick Walser (34, Lakers)


vs.

HC Davos:
René Back, Raphael Diaz, Beat Forster, Robin Grossmann, Samuel Guerra, Matthias Joggi, Tim Ramholt, Noah Schneeberger, Jan von Arx

Diaz is also an NHL-defender, Forster could hold down a job on some of the weaker NHL teams, and Grossmann is one of the better Swiss NLA defenders overall. Guerra is a promising prospect, and the others are also really solid by NLA standards, there is no "scrub" on that team. Not everyone who isn't playing in the NHL is a scrub...

The players on Team Canada arent really NHL stars either, I don't follow the teams they come from close enough but I'd say Jason Demers is the best of them?

I'm not a Davos homer as I dislike the club the most of all NLA teams, but I just think it will be closer as many might think.
5-0 win

cobaltseraphim* is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:15 PM
  #489
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltseraphim View Post
5-0 win
Yeah I thought such a comment would follow... if you need it.

1-2 vs Mannheim. Canadian Superstars.

chokei is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:19 PM
  #490
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,122
vCash: 1035
Who is the favorite to win the HC Davos and Mannheim game?

Killahpunk is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:22 PM
  #491
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
Fribourg-Vitkovice starts in one hour. I'm pretty sure Cory Schneider will get the start today.

Talbot and Schneider seem to have a good time in Davos:




I'd be surprised if they didn't win today.
If I were good enough, I would make it a career priority to play in at least one Spengler Cup (and as a fan, a visit to the Spengler Cup is on my sports bucket list).

A gorgeous setting, the Holiday season, raucous European crowds...it is everything the NHL isn't.

Even as a fan, I much prefer the Spengler Cup to the WJHC.

Pilky01 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:29 PM
  #492
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,122
vCash: 1035
1-0 Mannheim.

Killahpunk is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
  #493
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie
 
TheNeutrality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Oh god... Poor Genoni

TheNeutrality is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:34 PM
  #494
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
If I were good enough, I would make it a career priority to play in at least one Spengler Cup (and as a fan, a visit to the Spengler Cup is on my sports bucket list).

A gorgeous setting, the Holiday season, raucous European crowds...it is everything the NHL isn't.

Even as a fan, I much prefer the Spengler Cup to the WJHC.
Hear, hear.

The WJHCs from the mid-90s were spectacular hockey, especially when the Canadians went to Europe to play. But ever since then, the tournament has exploded in Canada and it just doesn't feel as fun to watch as it once did.

The Spengler Cup, on the other hand, is just great hockey in one of the most beautiful settings in Europe / the world. I'm also amazed at the atmosphere.

Switzerland is one of my favourite countries in the world as well.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:51 PM
  #495
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Hear, hear.

The WJHCs from the mid-90s were spectacular hockey, especially when the Canadians went to Europe to play. But ever since then, the tournament has exploded in Canada and it just doesn't feel as fun to watch as it once did.

The Spengler Cup, on the other hand, is just great hockey in one of the most beautiful settings in Europe / the world. I'm also amazed at the atmosphere.

Switzerland is one of my favourite countries in the world as well.
Bingo!

Holding it in Canada (or a USA border town) for so many years running has had the opposite effect as TSN had hoped. The tournament has lost it's lustre. It went from a romantic little tournament, where our valiant kids left their families at Christmas to visit the far flung corners of Europe to battle the odds and play for their country.

It has since become just like any other over produced TSN product. Glitzy, over-hyped, and incapable of delivering on it's promise.

The Spengler Cup has retained all of it's charm.

Pilky01 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:57 PM
  #496
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
why doesn't canada wear normal Team Canada jerseys?
LOL, sorry I had to bump this post, this question gets asked at least once every year. Just think it's funny :p

Stats01 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 03:14 PM
  #497
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
2 nothing mannheim

GermanJetsFan is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 03:15 PM
  #498
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,122
vCash: 1035
2-1 Mannheim.

Killahpunk is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
  #499
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 19,281
vCash: 494
2-1, and big save by Endras prevents the tie

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 03:20 PM
  #500
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie
 
TheNeutrality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Let's hope Davos finally wakes up after their first goal.

Edit:
2-2!
2nd “WTF“-goal in this game

Edit2:
2-3 Davos!
Seems like they definitely woke up.


Last edited by TheNeutrality: 12-28-2012 at 03:31 PM.
TheNeutrality is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.