HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I don't care about past games or stats or anything of the sort. Here's what I know:

Tonight...and tonight alone...Windsor played with London. They were down 5-4 with 30-seconds to go. In fact, they were winning 2-1 at one point in the first.

You can say whatever you wish about lack of urgency, giving up horrid goal totals, etc. Tonight, for much of the game, Windsor proved
they could go toe-to-toe with the Knights. London showed, at the end, that they were the better squad, but there were plenty of positives to take from this game.

I agree, Windsor looked decent and kept it close for a while. Yes we are missing a few players but this is the #2 team in the country on a heck of a run. The officiating didnt help. Clarke one of your better players was 50/50 to play in the first place and didnt look the same.
Met a couple Spits fans at the Wendys near the 401 at the end of the game, nice guys! It was good to see a decent chunk of fans make the trip to the beer case.
The fights was just goofy, im not sure on this but I wouldnt be surprised if it was Domi and his mouth that started it when he headed to the bench. Bowen looked stupid jumping Liberati who was already paired off. Also dont understand why Bilcke waited to fight Leroux after that beauty hit but glad he got in there. Good tilt.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:46 AM
JL17

Bowen stepped in and started roughing up Liberati who at the time had Murphy but neither want to go. The Bowen threw a punch or 2 at Liberati who isn't a fighter. The Elie stepped in to try and break it up and Bowen started throwing then they faught.

At the beginning of the third there were 5 Spits in front of the net standing still while the Knights were moving the puck around. At that point they packed it in.

Leroux crashed somebody with a hit... Bilckie came in and Leroux said no then Bilckie looked at the bench and then made a bee line for Leroux and caught Leroux a little by surprise. I think Boughner gave him the OK to start the scrap.

Last edited by JL17: 12-28-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 08:29 AM
PoorPetes
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Thank you for your trolling remark,games are won on the ice not the board room,as for thuggery teapot calling kettle black,Leroux is a plug,you have Baille tossing punches from the bench,Rupert x2 are amongst the dirtiest in the league,Raine has been suspended twice because of nefarious acts,typical throwing stones out of your glass dump

Sorry saw the game and hardly call any of that crap FIGHTING Those young scrappers try to make it entertaining but nothing close to real fights like they had years ago (Vic T v Mathers)... Both Spits and Knights are both lacking that for sure - a REAL tough guy!

Old
12-28-2012, 09:37 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
You forgot to mention such American players as Fowler,Watson,Campbell,Ryan,Vail,Duininck as players who were drafted the same years as Johns,Pietila, who showed up and contributed to Mem Cups and final 4 appearances
Easy to cherry pick who does not come across the border,we all know Windsor not the only team where less Americans are being signed
When Nick Schmaltz sees how much his brother is struggling at North Dakota,already been suspended because of drinking incident,he has only 4 pts in 18 games,not exactly sterling stats for a high scoring D man
As for Baughman he is not with USTDP program,Barber situation was ,his mother who has health problems wanted to him to go college route,his dad would have preferred major jr,
Oh and I forgot about Seiloff,who was headed to Bowling Green,you did too didnt u
Just giving a more fair balance to your comments
Three of those guys you mentioned were traded and we won't speculate but it's certainly possible this is how Windsor got into the sanction mess in the first place. Guys like Schmaltz and Baughman may just want to avoid that type of situation. In the case of Jordan Schmaltz he hasn't had a good year but his team is right in the hunt for 1st in the WCHA and look like heavy contenders for a long tourney run. Also Schmaltz has 4 years to figure out and being a 1st round pick he will eventually get signed. For every Schmaltz in UND you have a Marchese, Johnson or Clarke in Windsor. UND has a terrific track record of putting high end forwards in the NHL it's probably the best choice for Nick.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:42 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I don't care about past games or stats or anything of the sort. Here's what I know:

Tonight...and tonight alone...Windsor played with London. They were down 5-4 with 30-seconds to go. In fact, they were winning 2-1 at one point in the first.

You can say whatever you wish about lack of urgency, giving up horrid goal totals, etc. Tonight, for much of the game, Windsor proved they could go toe-to-toe with the Knights. London showed, at the end, that they were the better squad, but there were plenty of positives to take from this game.
So when you're presented with facts you ignore them, that's always a good choice.

They were down 5-4 and gave up a goal 7 seconds lateam got one. ter and then 21 seconds into the 3rd gave up another goal. That comes down to focus and preparation. You really have to be out to lunch giving up a goal 7 seconds later after your. There are no moral victories when you're 36 games into the season especially when they need to get wins. Yes the Spits were winning 2-1 at one point and proceeded to give up 8 of the next 10 goals. You're right though I'm not a real fan and a sellout and you're the man looking for diamond in a pile of ____.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
So when you're presented with facts you ignore them, that's always a good choice.
Pot meet kettle.

Quote:
They were down 5-4 and gave up a goal 7 seconds lateam got one. ter and then 21 seconds into the 3rd gave up another goal. That comes down to focus and preparation. You really have to be out to lunch giving up a goal 7 seconds later after your. There are no moral victories when you're 36 games into the season especially when they need to get wins. Yes the Spits were winning 2-1 at one point and proceeded to give up 8 of the next 10 goals. You're right though I'm not a real fan and a sellout and you're the man looking for diamond in a pile of ____.
You might not believe in moral victories, but when you're up 2-1 on a team that has a 21-game winning streak, and have just pulled within a goal of them with 30-seconds to go in the second, you are doing something right. I know it's not a standings-victory and you believe this team is horrible, but some of us actually prefer to not see the black in everything.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
punch1943

Quote:
If Koko were to return and dealt to Oshawa my trade would be
Koko,Bateman and Pavelka for Cole Cassels-Cen,Goalie Daniel Altschuller,Winger Sebasien Uvira and D-man Will Petschenig,and a 3rd rd pick
This trade gives the Spits flexability from an O/a point of view,wont have to worry about Pavelka,the edc packs even out,re Cassels/Bateman,Altshuller comes back next yr,Petschenig is a big body d-guy with some upside,but the center piece would be Cassels who will fit into the top 6 forwards for the next 2 and 1/2 years
Uvira is a big body forward,despite this years numbers who can play
Not saying I am in favor of trading Koko should he return,but I think they would do well in this deal with the Gennies
Interesting thoughts on the proposed trade with Oshawa but IMHO the return for Koko should include a couple of 2nd rd picks. If a trade such as this one is made it amounts to going the re-build route and other similar trades would surely be part of the plan. As for trading Koko, it seems logical to me that Koko would want to come back to a contender not to a team struggling to make the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the groundwork of a trade has already been laid and Oshawa would be really be in contention if it (the trade) was actually made..

Old
12-28-2012, 01:09 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Interesting thoughts on the proposed trade with Oshawa but IMHO the return for Koko should include a couple of 2nd rd picks. If a trade such as this one is made it amounts to going the re-build route and other similar trades would surely be part of the plan. As for trading Koko, it seems logical to me that Koko would want to come back to a contender not to a team struggling to make the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the groundwork of a trade has already been laid and Oshawa would be really be in contention if it (the trade) was actually made..
Why would the Gens mortgage their future for Kokolachev....this guy is much higher rated in spits fans eyes than most others. His stats last year pretty dictate what he is...was around 70 points and somewhere near a -20 player. If your going to mortgage yur future then drop those assets on a Monahan or Strome or Trochek...not a Koko...besides WR has already raked that franchise enough and I am positive they will be sharper this time around.

But GL with it anyway.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Ottomatic

69 points in 56 games would be 84 points if he played a full 68 game schedule.

Monahan will cost more as he should be back next year. Strome is no doubt elite, but could be in the NHL assuming there is a settlement. Trocheck and Koko would be very similar, but with DJ Smith in Oshawa there would be certain familiarity between player and coach and the organization knowing what they're getting.

Not saying it's going to happen or even likely to happen, but it would make some sense for all involved no matter if you want to poo-poo Khokhlachev. Hell you should hope it happens then as a Knights fan, might lower the price for somebody to fall into your lap in a buyers market.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Spitsfan191

Jim Parker ‏@winstarparker

Windsor #Spitfire RW Ty Bilcke (@bilks79) suffered a broken thumb in Thursday’s loss in London. Could be sidelined 6-to-8 weeks. #OHL

Old
12-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Spitsfan67*

Koko would of had more points on a better team.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Koko would of had more points on a better team.
I agree %100 and on the trade market would/should command a hefty price. On a top 5 team, easily a top 5 scorer.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan191 View Post

Windsor #Spitfire RW Ty Bilcke (@bilks79) suffered a broken thumb in Thursday’s loss in London. Could be sidelined 6-to-8 weeks. #OHL
Great news. Who cares? Now he doesn't have to use his last 2 majors up in the next 5 games....

Old
12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Thank you for your trolling remark,games are won on the ice not the board room,as for thuggery teapot calling kettle black,Leroux is a plug,you have Baille tossing punches from the bench,Rupert x2 are amongst the dirtiest in the league,Raine has been suspended twice because of nefarious acts,typical throwing stones out of your glass dump
Take it easy man, I know people from Windsor and they know it's a ****hole just like the southern and eastern parts of London. It's hard to cheer for a team that has been in 8th for 2 years and don't deserve to host the Memorial Cup but those who dish it out should be able to take it.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Pot meet kettle.

You might not believe in moral victories, but when you're up 2-1 on a team that has a 21-game winning streak, and have just pulled within a goal of them with 30-seconds to go in the second, you are doing something right. I know it's not a standings-victory and you believe this team is horrible, but some of us actually prefer to not see the black in everything.
Moral victories are left for sports where people don't have to fork over hard earned money and it's about the spirit of competition.

I think the team has been a disappointment and you believe since Rychel built a team that won he can do it again. Right now it's proving to be a lot more difficult with poor drafting and lack of talent on the team. It's funny I was called a hater and full of it at the beginning of the year saying there wasn't a lot of talent but what have we seen through 36 games? Furthermore the team isn't horrible, there are a lot of players who are out of their element and being asked to do too much eg. Vail, Marchese, Johnson, Clarke, Sanvido, Maletta etc.. I watched that game last night and Welychka is probably a better player than Vail and would put up similar numbers here in Windsor but he gets very little ice time with London. Vail hasn't really improved his game since last season. The problem currently is a lot of players have maxed out their potential and there isn't a lot of room for improvement. I am still a fan but would prefer if they started rebuilding the right way and not try and pull off a Saskatoon Blades in hosting the Memorial Cup and being 5th in their conference and 10th in the WHL. The organization is in danger of alienating a fan base and giving back that goodwill of 08-10.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Great news. Who cares? Now he doesn't have to use his last 2 majors up in the next 5 games....
Apparently you care enough to post The kid got hurt. I don't care if you hate him or not, show some respect!

Old
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Maybe they can go out and find a player who can contribute and increase the talent level of the team.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan191 View Post

Nothing, pointless fight after a clean check. I guess Bowen will dress a lot more now, unless WR feels the need to go bring in another goon. Anybody in Jr B like the goon London brings up when they play us?

Old
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Nothing, pointless fight after a clean check. I guess Bowen will dress a lot more now, unless WR feels the need to go bring in another goon. Anybody in Jr B like the goon London brings up when they play us?
How about Mitchell Graham? Signed with the Spits out of camp give him an opportunity to show something. Otto the Spits already dress a goon his name is Emerson Clark and he's eligible to return for tomorrow.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:09 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Maybe they can go out and find a player who can contribute...
Goals and assists...goals and assists...goals and assists. I figure if I type it out enough, I'll get why they're the be-all and end-all of contributions. Nope, didn't work.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Goals and assists...goals and assists...goals and assists. I figure if I type it out enough, I'll get why they're the be-all and end-all of contributions. Nope, didn't work.
Goals and assists is where its at. All the other 'stuff' didn't help last night.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:13 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
More than half his games have been against Spits/Attack. 2 of the most penalized teams in the league. Its a reponse to what Hunters think that those teams bring most nights. Not saying its a bad thing or good just what it is. Both scraps he had the Spit player asked him to go first. And Id take that goon over BIlke any day. He can play F or D and definitely skates better. He knows why hes up when the rare game hes called to play in comes along. Bilke may do better in that role as well. Play jrB, get more minutes and be used as a callup instead of taking a roster spot over a kid you can develop.

Game was close for a good while. That goal immediately after the 5-4 goal was a killer. Then the real early 3rd period goal and game over.

A question for Spits fans- I noticed the Windsor bench was up on feet almost the entire game. They seemed into it and just wondering if thats normal?

Sorry to hear Bilke got hurt, I never like that but maybe a bit of Karma? Going a guy, at Boogs request, late in a game thats over, after a clean hit and after Leroux skated away once.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Yes a team who is starving for talent and guys to put the puck in the net. I can't understand why the Spits wouldn't want a player like that.

Marchese
Lorentz
Bilcke
Clark
Johnson
Maletta
Studnicka
Verbeek

245 GP 20 total goals combined. Bilcke and Clark are luxuries on talented teams, they become redundant on teams that struggle and can't score goals. Out of those 8 forwards 7 if not all 8 of them dress every game.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:22 PM
south of the border

You really think kids/young men have "maxed out their potential" at 17 or 18 years old??
You need to rethink your athletic time clock. I dont know of any sport [maybe womens gymnastics] where an athlete peaks before their early twenties...at the earliest, most sports are late twenties. Athletes experience periodic plateaus in their growth and development and admittedly some quit developing, but not likely with Vail or several of the others you mentioned. Vail may have played 40 minutes last night, I wonder how goals Welychka would have had on those legs?

Old
12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Lol come on, I love tough guys but they need to put up some points at least and 6 points thru his 98 game career it not good enough at all, and it's not even that he can't handle the puck can't keep up with the play, misses 80% of his hits, slow, has a shot but has never used it...all he does is fight and hes even not to good at that...I think this team needs a tough guy but with only one point on the season I'd say cya and the spits should try and find a bit more productive tough guy that your not scared to put out on the ice and get more then 4 shifts a game.

Closed Thread